Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
570 last Sunday, headed in now. Did something bad to my back Tuesday ,but it seems to be OK now. Fingers crossed ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Good thing I didn't just bag it; it was position night. 220 -200-232 7 out of 9 points scored . Man that hurt.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally a consistent night!

227-198-205. First 600 for this season. We took all 4 points handily, and I even won a hand of poker.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Nicely done :-) Pre-bowled for this Thursday; won 7 out of 9 Sunday.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

flacoman954 posted:

Nicely done :-) Pre-bowled for this Thursday; won 7 out of 9 Sunday.

Thanks! Was pretty stoked for sure. But slightly bummed that they aren't doing magnets anymore for awards, just keychains...

I need more magnets on my fridge dammit! :argh:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah but just think how pimp you'll look when it's time to bowl and you throw your keys on the table and just fuckin' keychains everywhere man

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

Yeah but just think how pimp you'll look when it's time to bowl and you throw your keys on the table and just fuckin' keychains everywhere man

Yeah, I need to start renting a locker there, and have my locker key attached to as many keychains as possible.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
20 dollar dues , 1.25 worth of swag...

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

flacoman954 posted:

20 dollar dues , 1.25 worth of swag...

gently caress I wish it were $20. $30 a week for me.

I need to bite the bullet and get a jersey with my name on it for upcoming tournaments, and I'm about to pull the trigger on this, God help me.

http://kkbowl.com/dv8zombiehands.html

That's honestly the least garish shirt on the site, and $60 isn't bad for a decent jersey. Anyone else ever order anything from KKBowl?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My weekly breakdown usually consists of $30:

$13 - dues
$3 - poker ($1 each hand)
$14 or so on rounds of beer for me and my brother ($2-$2.75 depending on what we're drinking)

I'm spoiled :ohdear:

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Cheap! Let's see :
Dues - $20 (usually drop 25 to get ahead for the end of the season)
Poker - 3
Brackets $5- $10
Football Card - $5
Figure about 40-50.00

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
There's also the strike-pot and clean-sweep pots, but I'm far too inconsistent to try and get in on those.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I actually wish they still gave out patches. You could make yourself a sash boy scout style to put all of your patches on. Then you could walk into the alley wearing it and have a girl follow you to take it off of you and set it down ceremoniously like a wrestling belt.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I've seriously considered taking an old jacket and sewing all my youth league patches onto it. I must have hundreds of them sitting in a drawer somewhere in my parents' house.

"I can see the terror in your eyes. My 300 series patch tends to do that to people."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I've actually been tapped to run the brackets for the huge Monday night league, and you would not believe the cash motherfuckers drop weekly.

$3 a bracket, I have three or four guys who drop near $100 on brackets weekly. If they bowl well they clean up. I had a guy walk out with $500 a couple weeks ago. Minus the $20 he tipped me.

I get one entry per bracket for running them, and we usually get between 40 and 50 brackets per week, so between $120 and $150 for a couple hour worth of work is pretty good. My league is almost totally paid off already and it help with entries during the winter, since I work at a golf course in the northeast and tend to be unemployed after it snows. If anyone has a laptop and $150 to drop on good bracket software I highly recommend trying to run them a few nights a week if you have decent sized leagues.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

buffto posted:

I actually wish they still gave out patches. You could make yourself a sash boy scout style to put all of your patches on. Then you could walk into the alley wearing it and have a girl follow you to take it off of you and set it down ceremoniously like a wrestling belt.

If I ever get a 300 game or 800 series I want a wrestling belt instead of a ring.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
220-187-181.

Not bad, but oh so close to back to back 600 weeks. We only won 1 out of 4 though :\

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
203-200-227 = 630 Series and 7 of 9 points . That'll feed the bulldog ! 57-22 about 20th place (of 64) Had to spare in the 10 frame ,first game. I did and we won :-)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Bowled league last night for the first time since I hurt my back. 203 - 230 - 197 for a 630. Should have made a much bigger move at the start of the third game but instead I opened 3 out of 4 frames. Felt good all night so I guess the doctor was right and it was just a pulled muscle.

I'm bowling in the county team tournament this weekend at a house I've only bowled at twice in my life. Guess I'll just bring all my balls and hope I find something.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
In situations like that , straighter is greater . Don't try to be real heroic with the shot unless it's dry and conditions dictate.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

flacoman954 posted:

203-200-227 = 630 Series

Devo posted:

203 - 230 - 197 for a 630.
I love how not only did you two have the same series score but also almost identical individual game scores as well.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Alright, so I've been throwing a regular old plastic ball in a rec league for a few years, averaging about 150, but I'm starting to get annoyed with hitting the pocket clean and leaving pins since I can't get much rotation. I feel like the only way I'm going to get better is to pick up some new equipment and finally learn how to throw some kind of hook and take advantage of the oil a little.

Is there a general goon consensus on a good beginner's reactive ball, or would I be better served by just heading to the alley early this week and asking for advice at the pro shop?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

All the entry level reactive balls are pretty similar in my opinion. You can't really go wrong with a Tropical Breeze or a Cyclone. Pick one with pretty colors.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Baldrash posted:

Alright, so I've been throwing a regular old plastic ball in a rec league for a few years, averaging about 150, but I'm starting to get annoyed with hitting the pocket clean and leaving pins since I can't get much rotation. I feel like the only way I'm going to get better is to pick up some new equipment and finally learn how to throw some kind of hook and take advantage of the oil a little.

Is there a general goon consensus on a good beginner's reactive ball, or would I be better served by just heading to the alley early this week and asking for advice at the pro shop?

Something good and cheap to start with: Ebonite Cyclone, DV8 Misfit, Brunswick Slingshot/Karma, Storm Tropical Heat Hybrid, Hammer Cobalt Vibe. All entry level balls that are very controllable for a beginner.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Columbia Freeze works well; DV8 Misfit is excellent.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Shot was interesting at the tournament. There was a definite out of bounds that people were struggling with. I split 3 out of the first 5 frames and then made a big move right and threw it harder to avoid going threw the nose. I felt like I was throwing the ball pretty well outside of the first half of the first game but I just couldn't string enough strikes together to score.

190 - 211 - 209 for a 610. My top 3 bowlers all shot pretty bleh but not overly horrible, and my anchorman shot a 650 making him the only one to (barely) get his average. That was still good enough to get us 12th out of 35ish teams in the handicap division so apparently we weren't the only ones struggling out there. Would have liked to do better, but meh at least we weren't at the bottom of the standing sheet.

Firestarter
Nov 3, 2002

Cliff Yablonski hates me!
My pro shop operator noticed something I was doing at the point of release that was taking away some of my leverage at the line. I immediately go 248 - 268 - 233 for 748. It's good to have smart friends. :) I threw a possible 800 away though, I can be honest about that. Hopefully I'll get another shot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. 119-151-213.

I just felt completely off all night, even in the last. Off balance, off release, off line... Just had no idea what adjustments to make and when. If I had hit my average the first two games, we would have won the night.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

203-223-213 for my best series of the year so far. We gave up 115 pins to handicap and still wound up winning all 7. We've moved up into second place in the league as well. The past 4 or 5 weeks we've moved up positions every week and have just been killing it. No reason we shouldn't be able to win the whole league which would be awesome.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Subbed for a friend in a house shot league tonight. Went in with a 178 sport average that they adjusted to a 195. Proceeded to go 232-263-255 for a 750.

To say the other team was a little aggravated was a bit of an understatement. I don't think I'll be invited back.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Critical: Well done! If they don't like it , let them try a sport shot on for size.
Only shot 580 this week , but we went 5-4 anyway. Nice thing about the match was that the handicaps matched up to 3 pins. Giving (or getting ) a bunch of pins makes bowling a match kind of a drag.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I noticed a few weeks ago that there's a guy in our league whose name up on the screen usually says "Canis" something or other... But everyone was just calling him George.

Last night he was on the set of lanes next to ours, and I saw it actually said "Canis Lupus." So I decided to google it.

It's the scientific latin name for "Gray Wolf."

This awkward, creepy looking motherfucker bowls under the name "Gray Wolf."

What
The
gently caress.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

We switched to WTBA Atlanta tonight. Please kill me.

154-147-164-222. Finally found a line that worked the last game. Everyone was all over the place and I've never seen so many good bowlers look totally and utterly lost. High series was 840 for four games. And the next 5 weeks have me facing the five best bowlers in the league. Uuuuggh.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Eh, 221-183-186, not bad. Bowled the vacant team so I was able to stay on the same line for a good while.

Anyone getting some new equipment for Christmahanakwanzica? I'm going to try and get a new ball but still narrowing down my choices.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Scarf posted:

Eh, 221-183-186, not bad. Bowled the vacant team so I was able to stay on the same line for a good while.

Anyone getting some new equipment for Christmahanakwanzica? I'm going to try and get a new ball but still narrowing down my choices.

I've got the zombie spare ball from DV8 on my list. Hopefully my girlfriend gets it for me as I desperately need a spare ball!

Wardark Grimhams
Mar 8, 2006
I just got an early gift from my parents in the form of some SST8's, I might get a new ball for myself in the near future.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Last night was a trainwreck again. 180-160-160-160. Rounding down.

Only two people averaged over 200 last night. Usually 75% of the league is in the 800s.

I had a good line to start going straight up 3 board and I watched it literally evaporate within 3 shots. Ball would just die at the breakpoint and it's not like I could move any further right. It kinda went downhill from there.

In the next couple days I'm gonna go through all my equipment and take pictures of drillings and such.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I've been using the Hammer Black Widow for about 5 years and its been great but I think I want to get a new ball. I was thinking about the Hammer Arson or Arson pearl, anyone have any experience with those balls?

They also have The Wrench coming out on the 4th, which (according to the pro-shop) is suppose to be pretty slick.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RisqueBarber posted:

I've been using the Hammer Black Widow for about 5 years and its been great but I think I want to get a new ball. I was thinking about the Hammer Arson or Arson pearl, anyone have any experience with those balls?

They also have The Wrench coming out on the 4th, which (according to the pro-shop) is suppose to be pretty slick.

Here's what seems to be a pretty good video on the Wrench straight from Hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XtmgCnPww0

They might have the same for the Arson balls as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Scarf posted:

Here's what seems to be a pretty good video on the Wrench straight from Hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XtmgCnPww0

They might have the same for the Arson balls as well.

The pros make it look so easy

• Locked thread