Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vasudus posted:

Welp, didn't pass the BEX. Can't talk about why obviously, but I don't really feel that bad about it. Always next time.

Sorry dude. :( Was this your first time taking it? Now you know what to expect for the next time. Don't give up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
Turned in my PNs last night -- now I'm back to helpless waiting until January . . .

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I also wanted to again thank everyone in the thread who helped me revise my PNQ responses. Absolutely recommended!:)

I submitted my PNQ responses, now to push it out of my mind and move on to other things for awhile. Best of luck to everyone.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Vasudus posted:

Welp, didn't pass the BEX. Can't talk about why obviously, but I don't really feel that bad about it. Always next time.

Don't sweat it. Lots of people do not pass the first time, and I've met some really switched on agents that were 2 or 3 time BEX takers. I do the local DS recruitment rounds and I always push that the first time is a great way to see how it works and if you don't pass you're able to have some insight into the next time you choose to try. Good luck.

robotastronaut
Aug 6, 2012

PNQ's submitted! Now I might be able to focus on all the other work I need to be doing.

On another note, what do you current FSOs think about the political circus surrounding Benghazi? I listen to a few hours of NPR during my daily commute, and it's pretty much all I hear about anymore. Luckily, they had Christopher Hill on the other day and he was able to set some callers straight.

robotastronaut fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 16, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

robotastronaut posted:

On another note, what do you current FSOs think about the political circus surrounding Benghazi? I listen to a few hours of NPR during my daily commute, and it's pretty much all I hear about anymore. Luckily, they had Christopher Hill on the other day and he was able to set some callers straight.

What do I think? I think that I know every person involved in what happened in Benghazi and in Tripoli, and I'm really loving sick of the political games about the death of my boss and my coworkers. That's what I loving think.

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 16, 2012

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

the_chavi posted:

What do I think? I think that I know every person involved in what happened in Benghazi and in Tripoli, and I'm really loving sick of the political games about the death of my boss and my coworkers. That's what I loving thing.

Politicians aren't human beings - they're going to twist everything to support their 'side' to gain points for the next election', leaving the rest of us as detritus on the roadside.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

robotastronaut posted:

PNQ's submitted! Now I might be able to focus on all the other work I need to be doing.

At this point Sen. Paul is just trolling with regards to MSGs and Benghazi. My personal opinion of course.

Vile and I chatted almost daily including the day ( it could have been the 10th) that he died. I was literally, an email away from being tdy to replace vile in Oct, so there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of Sean. While I could go on, this isn't the right venue.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

At this point Sen. Paul is just trolling with regards to MSGs and Benghazi. My personal opinion of course.

Vile and I chatted almost daily including the day ( it could have been the 10th) that he died. I was literally, an email away from being tdy to replace vile in Oct, so there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of Sean. While I could go on, this isn't the right venue.

*snaps of approval*

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

the_chavi posted:

What do I think? I think that I know every person involved in what happened in Benghazi and in Tripoli, and I'm really loving sick of the political games about the death of my boss and my coworkers. That's what I loving think.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It's good to, for once, hear an honest opinion by someone who is not a politician.

My mom is one of the people who believes there's some huge conspiracy and cover up surrounding Benghazi. I told her about Sean and that I had been inspired to reapply for the Foreign Service and she started crying and freaking out because Obama and Clinton don't care about diplomats and they're going to send me off to die or something.

It makes me really sad.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

CherryCola posted:

Thank you so much for sharing this. It's good to, for once, hear an honest opinion by someone who is not a politician.

My mom is one of the people who believes there's some huge conspiracy and cover up surrounding Benghazi. I told her about Sean and that I had been inspired to reapply for the Foreign Service and she started crying and freaking out because Obama and Clinton don't care about diplomats and they're going to send me off to die or something.

It makes me really sad.

Ugh....what a frustrating mischaracterization.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Homie S posted:

Don't sweat it. Lots of people do not pass the first time, and I've met some really switched on agents that were 2 or 3 time BEX takers. I do the local DS recruitment rounds and I always push that the first time is a great way to see how it works and if you don't pass you're able to have some insight into the next time you choose to try. Good luck.

I'm not so worried about it. Yeah, I wish I made it past the retardedly high standards this year, but I'll get it next time. The BEX was a great many things but unfair was not one of them.

FSOT in Feb anyway, who knows where that'll go.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I've just submitted my PNQs. Really close to the deadline, and without much editing... :ohdear: School kept getting in the way.

I do think they are a huge improvement over what I turned in last year, though (Lawd, reading those again was painful. What was I writing?!) and my FSWE score improved from last time, so... Well, we'll see.

Joining the ranks of the anxious waiters. Good luck to you all!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

the_chavi posted:

Amen.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Joining the ranks of those giving a million thanks to Chavi for looking through my narratives. Let's make the next A100 course goons only! :getin:

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I'm currently trying to submit my PNQs and the website is down. Has this happened before? Is it just crashing because everyone is trying to submit right now?

Maybe the State Department is trying to weed out procrastinators.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

robotastronaut posted:

Amb Stevens came out to Rome during the war for all the contact group meetings. He was a really nice guy.

Otherwise what I think has pretty much been said already. Don't want to add to the echo chamber.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

I Love Topanga posted:

I'm currently trying to submit my PNQs and the website is down. Has this happened before? Is it just crashing because everyone is trying to submit right now?

Maybe the State Department is trying to weed out procrastinators.
I got an email a week ago reminding me to submit and also giving a warning:

"Please note that while we're not expecting any technical difficulties, things do happen, so please leave yourself plenty of time before the 11/15/12 deadline. PNs must be submitted by 11:59 pm Central Time on 11/15. A candidacy cannot go forward without these narratives. There is no grace period for late submissions."

I seem to recall the same thing happening in the past - so yeah, it's likely the crunch of a lot of people submitting all at once.

tismondo fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 16, 2012

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

just got an e-mail saying there was some kind of outage or charlie-foxtrot with their servers and that the deadline is extended an extra day.

this is why I got them in early.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

tismondo posted:

I got an email a week ago reminding me to submit and also giving a warning:

"Please note that while we're not expecting any technical difficulties, things do happen, so please leave yourself plenty of time before the 11/15/12 deadline. PNs must be submitted by 11:59 pm Central Time on 11/15. A candidacy cannot go forward without these narratives. There is no grace period for late submissions."

I seem to recall the same thing happening in the past - so yeah, it's likely the crunch of a lot of people submitting all at once.

Yeah, I got the same email. I'm crossing my fingers hoping this is some extraneous circumstance and I'll still be able to submit.

The yahoo group is all aflame. It seems as though ACT pulled the site down at 11:59p EST instead of CST like the letter says. Maybe this will be enough?

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Just received an email

fsot@act.org posted:

Dear FSOT Candidate,

Last night ACT had an unexpected outage with the Validus test engine, therefore we are extending the deadline to tonight, 11/16/2012 at 11:50 PM Central Time. If you log in to your account you will see a Relaunch button. You may click on that to get back in to your PN responses and submit them.

Again the deadline is now Friday 11/16/2012 at 11:50 PM Central Time. There will be no extension after this deadline, no exceptions.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

FSOT Program Office

Let's hope this luck carries me all the way to post!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

I Love Topanga posted:

Yeah, I got the same email. I'm crossing my fingers hoping this is some extraneous circumstance and I'll still be able to submit.

The yahoo group is all aflame. It seems as though ACT pulled the site down at 11:59p EST instead of CST like the letter says. Maybe this will be enough?

This isn't directed to you in particular, but to anyone reading:

:siren:People. This is an actual job to which you're applying. Stop dicking around and submit the required materials early. Don't do it on the day it is due. Last minute gets you screwed, five times out of ten. That is all.:siren:

:ughh:

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

Business of Ferrets posted:

:siren:People. This is an actual job to which you're applying. Stop dicking around and submit the required materials early. Don't do it on the day it is due. Last minute gets you screwed, five times out of ten. That is all.:siren:

No offense taken. In my defense it wasn't as though it was the first time I had logged in. Lots of tweaking and touch ups without submitting. Not only is this a job, but a dream job. You can imagine my horror when I went to finalize the essays and couldn't log in.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Completely agree. While I will say that the ACT testing system is a clunky piece of poo poo that crashes if you look at it wrong, it's a good prep for actual State systems (like FSBid or HR Online or E2) that always crash on the day Important Things are due. Don't gently caress this step up, folks.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?

Seriously, this is important.

I just received an email this week saying I didn't pass the QEP for IMS. I can really only blame it on one thing. I waited till the last day to apply, get my resume put together, and answer the questions. I know I didn't answer them very well since I was rushed, and I didn't realize that the 300 world limit that was on the website was actually wrong, and the application website actually took a 1000 word limit response. In other words, I submitted short responses lacking lots of details because I waited till the last minute and didn't have time to readjust. Also, I don't really graduate from college till later next month, so that may have something to do with it as well.

Either way, I'm going to start working on my responses early next year, and I'll be ready to reapply for the next one. At least I already have a good civil service IT position to hold me over till then.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

Completely agree. While I will say that the ACT testing system is a clunky piece of poo poo that crashes if you look at it wrong, it's a good prep for actual State systems (like FSBid or HR Online or E2) that always crash on the day Important Things are due. Don't gently caress this step up, folks.

A State IT guy clears on the above statement.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST loving MINUTE TO GET poo poo DONE IN THE USG.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I was just wondering about this but I'm assuming that while at an overseas mission State people have to abide by the laws of the US when those laws conflict with the local laws (to an extent). The example I was thinking of was basically stuff like drug use, prostitution, whatever other edge case behaviors there may be. I know State generally is pretty live and let live as far as lifestyles are concerned so yeah.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dameius posted:

I was just wondering about this but I'm assuming that while at an overseas mission State people have to abide by the laws of the US when those laws conflict with the local laws (to an extent). The example I was thinking of was basically stuff like drug use, prostitution, whatever other edge case behaviors there may be. I know State generally is pretty live and let live as far as lifestyles are concerned so yeah.

Planning a party?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Dameius posted:

If you're hinting at an awesome weekend in Amsterdam, no we cannot partake in most of those activities while employed by DoS.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
This is purely out of curiosity, but what happens when the host country's laws are stricter than those of the USA? Freedom of speech/censorship issues in certain countries come to mind, as do countries where particular dress codes are required.

V What a satisfying answer.

hitension fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 18, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

hitension posted:

This is purely out of curiosity, but what happens when the host country's laws are stricter than those of the USA? Freedom of speech/censorship issues in certain countries come to mind, as do countries where particular dress codes are required.

Depends

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TCD posted:

Depends

Does that translate to Marine House is open season and everywhere else in country it depends?

Amsterdam weekends were in the umbrella of things I was wondering about and I figured that would be the answer. Not all that surprising too considering State, post-Kissinger, started to structure things to keep foreign service people from going native -or so I've heard at least.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
As a general rule does DoS have the same hard-on (pun intended) for anti-human trafficking stuff that DoD does?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iyaayas01 posted:

As a general rule does DoS have the same hard-on (pun intended) for anti-human trafficking stuff that DoD does?

If anything, our hard-on is way...harder.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

iyaayas01 posted:

We have officers specifically dedicated to it, and we are responsible for the Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report, so our hard-on is pretty huge. DOL's is pretty big also.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

A State IT guy clears on the above statement.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST loving MINUTE TO GET poo poo DONE IN THE USG.

Up to, and including, post transfers.

Mmm, getting your visa just days before you're scheduled to fly out, after all your tickets are purchased and you're already packed out.

(en route to Post, BTW. Six days in Japan, woo hoo.. No E-mail or anything like that until the 30th. should have gmail access.)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dameius posted:

Generally, if it's okay in the US federal code there are ways for you to do it overseas if local laws are more restrictive. For example, we bring in alcohol under diplomatic exemption to countries where it's banned. This can change, however, if you're colocated with military, eg at a FOB in Afghanistan operating under General Order #1.

If it's illegal in the US under federal law, then generally as USG personnel you can't do it overseas, even if it's legal where you are, under pain of losing your clearance or your job.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

Mmm, getting your visa just days before you're scheduled to fly out, after all your tickets are purchased and you're already packed out.

My personal record is getting orders cut, packed out, tickets booked, and departing for home in 72 hours. Dumbest thing I've ever done, especially because I was the guinea pig at post for testing out the my itinerary function in HROnline.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

hitension posted:

V What a satisfying answer.

You're also obliged to follow the laws of the host country. There might be exceptions but I'm not aware of any. Women posted to Saudi Arabia, for example, wear burquas in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You're also obliged to follow the laws of the host country. There might be exceptions but I'm not aware of any. Women posted to Saudi Arabia, for example, wear burquas in public.

There's nuance there - women posted in Saudi are not required to wear abayas (not burqas, those are in Afghanistan and are solid blue) but they are strongly encouraged to wear them in non-official settings. For official duty you are strongly encouraged NOT to wear them. In no cases are American women in Saudi required to cover their hair.

But again, speaking generally, you're supposed to be a good guest in the country in which you're posted.