Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pureauthor posted:

No one's going to knock Mega Man music, if that's what you're implying.

It was a joke. It's pretty hard to have an underwhelming fight when you've got music like that playing during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Simply Simon posted:

I also think that considering the circumstances, the Zero trilogy has a goddamn amazing story, one of the best Capcom has ever done. Rather Inti's praise, I guess, but still. And then they made Zero 4 and it STILL has a pretty good story, even more impressive. Usually "ah just do another sequel it means money" games crash and burn horribly, but Zero 4 really is quite good.

I hated Zero 4's story, despite it having a pretty solid conclusion. It was a revisit of the first truly bad X game, and had a really stupid plot involving villains who want to either destroy nature or destroy humans to save nature, I forget which because that's the most stupid, overused japanese plot ever. And then the grand plan is.. to do the same stupid poo poo as Sigma did in X5.

Gameplay-wise, going back to a classic Mega Man stage select screen felt like a huge step back considering the more organic and narratively-driven level progression of the other games. It's definitely the weakest Zero game in my mind.

Captain Invictus posted:

It was a joke. It's pretty hard to have an underwhelming fight when you've got music like that playing during it.

And yet it was. This is the true power of X5!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's destroying nature. That's a little weak, I grant it that, but the fluff surrounding it makes up for it, in my opinion. Zero being treated with contempt just for being a robot, but the humans gradually accepting him as their saviour was nice, and it wasn't really shoved into your face - most of that is optional dialogue, and just as skillfully done as in the other Zero games, with tons of changing lines for each NPC over the course of the game. Real effort showing through and through.
I also really like Craft's character. He makes sense to me. Also his fights are an absolute blast, if balls-hard. And the conclusion is nothing short of epic, in the true sense of the word, with a bittersweet ending that really surprised me, and I hadn't thought they would go so far.

The actual motivations of the 8 bosses matter little in that respect, I think. As if "random guy rampaging somewhere loosely based on his theme" had ever made much sense. Also, the level select had to be because of all the new things the game does, what with farming for components and the weather system. Might not be your cup of tea, but it's not a step back, it's a necessary concession to the fresh way the game works, which I also really appreciate in what could have just been Zero 3.2.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Don't play X6. For the love of all that is good and pure, don't play X6.

X6 is so broken on every level. I remember the last level just being loads and loads and loads of spikes. So you did what anyone would do and equip the armor that can survive spikes but can't dash too far. OH WHAT'S THAT THE NEXT SECTION NEEDS YOU TO DASH FAR FUCKER

On the other hand if you got to the boss with that armor you literally jump next to him, press R2, and you won.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

X6 is so broken on every level. I remember the last level just being loads and loads and loads of spikes. So you did what anyone would do and equip the armor that can survive spikes but can't dash too far. OH WHAT'S THAT THE NEXT SECTION NEEDS YOU TO DASH FAR FUCKER

On the other hand if you got to the boss with that armor you literally jump next to him, press R2, and you won.

The Gaea Armor you're referring to isn't in X6. That's in X5. X6 had the Shadow Armor and Blade Armor.

Really, my biggest issue with X4-X6 is the general sluggishness of the controls. X/Zero feel like they're moving through water, rapid fire with the buster is way too slow, and X5/6 really like cutting your pace down to a crawl a bit too often (See: Duff McWhalen, Blaze Heatnix, etc). I still like them well enough, but nowhere near as much as I do X1-3, and the Zero games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

The Gaea Armor you're referring to isn't in X6. That's in X5. X6 had the Shadow Armor and Blade Armor.

Really, my biggest issue with X4-X6 is the general sluggishness of the controls. X/Zero feel like they're moving through water, rapid fire with the buster is way too slow, and X5/6 really like cutting your pace down to a crawl a bit too often (See: Duff McWhalen, Blaze Heatnix, etc). I still like them well enough, but nowhere near as much as I do X1-3, and the Zero games.

Shadow Armor had the same spike invulnerability but no airdash.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Shadow Armor had the same spike invulnerability but no airdash.

Oh, it did, did it? I never used it much because the Blade Armor brought back the good ol' vertical airdash, and didn't have a wacky buster shot pattern like the Shadow Armor did.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

S-Alpha posted:

Zero is the first time in a Mega Man game where I honest to God felt like I was controlling an actual legendary hero.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lurdiak posted:

I hated Zero 4's story, despite it having a pretty solid conclusion. It was a revisit of the first truly bad X game, and had a really stupid plot involving villains who want to either destroy nature or destroy humans to save nature, I forget which because that's the most stupid, overused japanese plot ever. And then the grand plan is.. to do the same stupid poo poo as Sigma did in X5.

I felt the same way until I realized that the Area Zero or whatever it was called was the only place on the planet capable of supporting human life aside from Neo-Arcadia. They didn't emphasize the stakes enough so it seems like Zero's just helping out some random campers when actually if Weil succeeds in destroying their little nature conservatory then there is zero chance of anyone ever being able to live outside of his control.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, they still did it though. Zero \ X are pretty big pushovers, despite having lots of moves they don't have in the game. In X2, Zero's pattern was a lot more simple, but it felt more intense. In fact, most of the bosses in X5 and X6 are just poorly designed and clunky. i.e. Grizzly Slash doesn't so much jump, as his awkwardly floats in-between platforms. It's beyond lazy and bad looking. All they could have done was give him one frame of animation showing him slightly squat down to jump, and make him jump from platform to platform faster. It would have taken an hour at most to do that.

Hell, X6 actually has a really good soundtrack, and one of the better ones, even. Too bad the rest of the game is a complete disaster.

S-Alpha posted:

Leave X4 out of this. That game is every bit as past paced and fluid as the SNES games and the Zero series, especially if you're playing as Zero. Now X5 and X6? You just hit that one on the nose. And let's add X7 into the mix, too. Those games are painfully sssssllllloooooowwww.

Somewhere along the line, at about X5's time, they forgot that the X games were supposed to be the faster and more intense answer to the original series. And the original series was already pretty fluid. It's amazing to me that X5 and X6 have an option to slow the game down even more, like anybody would want to do that. Maybe if they were a 90 year old grandma. Nobody else has the patience for that.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pureauthor posted:

Zero is the first time in a Mega Man game where I honest to God felt like I was controlling an actual legendary hero.

This pretty much nails it. Busters are cool and all, but nothing feels better then absolutely brutalizing everything that comes your way with a Saber.

Oh, and add another nitpick to the X6 list. Zero's Saber. WHY was it changed, again? There was literally no reason to change how his saber animated. How it is now, it feels weak as poo poo, unlike in X4 and 5, where it still felt like you were wielding this impressively powerful weapon.

In X6, it's like your waving around a stick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Magil of Shadow posted:

This pretty much nails it. Busters are cool and all, but nothing feels better then absolutely brutalizing everything that comes your way with a Saber.

Oh, and add another nitpick to the X6 list. Zero's Saber. WHY was it changed, again? There was literally no reason to change how his saber animated. How it is now, it feels weak as poo poo, unlike in X4 and 5, where it still felt like you were wielding this impressively powerful weapon.

In X6, it's like your waving around a stick.

It even *looks* like a toy lightsaber to boot!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
He also had that one move where if you pushed a certain button combination, it would drop you straight into a pit.

X6 as a game was sadistic as gently caress. I have no idea why I forced myself to finish that painful game.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

He also had that one move where if you pushed a certain button combination, it would drop you straight into a pit.

X6 as a game was sadistic as gently caress. I have no idea why I forced myself to finish that painful game.

Oh hell, that move.

And I've got one on you. I 100%ed that drat thing. I STILL cringe whenever I hear that damned crusher sound.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bonaventure posted:

I felt the same way until I realized that the Area Zero or whatever it was called was the only place on the planet capable of supporting human life aside from Neo-Arcadia. They didn't emphasize the stakes enough so it seems like Zero's just helping out some random campers when actually if Weil succeeds in destroying their little nature conservatory then there is zero chance of anyone ever being able to live outside of his control.

By Zero 4, Weil has succeeded in taking control over all humanity and all the Earth... except for one little enclave in the middle of nowhere.

And he hates that. He sends in his armies and taps every WMD (and anything that might possibly be converted to an WMD) just to take out a handful of fugitives of no significance.

That's fantastic. It's just so ridiculously over the top.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

blackguy32 posted:

Yep, loving fun as all hell when trying to save reploids in Infinity Mijjijijij....whatever's stage.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Schwarzwald posted:

That's fantastic. It's just so ridiculously over the top.

And it all boils down to the fact that, in the aftermath of the Elf Wars, someone decided that even with X out of action... ...They just couldn't kill the guy responsible, they had to take away his body, make him immortal and shoot him into space.

Just so he could reflect on what he did forever.

:cripes:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LemonLimeTime posted:

Yep, loving fun as all hell when trying to save reploids in Infinity Mijjijijij....whatever's stage.

Infinity Water Flea, just to make it easier and not stupid.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I always thought Zero 4 had the best plot in the entire series. The stakes couldn't have been higher and Zero dies along with the war he's been fighting for so, so long. It ties the MM canon off with a nice little bow and I would've been perfectly happy had it ended up being the final entry. Not that ZX didn't make for a fun little epilogue.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gearhead posted:

And it all boils down to the fact that, in the aftermath of the Elf Wars, someone decided that even with X out of action... ...They just couldn't kill the guy responsible, they had to take away his body, make him immortal and shoot him into space.

Just so he could reflect on what he did forever.

:cripes:

I'll grant that could have been handled better.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BlitzBlast posted:

You say that like it's not all up to random chance in the end.

Very true, in fact I deliberately played like crap to make sure both scenario fails.

And I still manage to be successful without getting any of the parts.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

TaurusOxford posted:

Infinity Water Flea, just to make it easier and not stupid.

I hate that level for one specific reason. The three reploids just past 3:30 in this video. One of them has a nightmare thing just pixels away from him. You have to fall from above to get it, and if you miss or fall, it is lost.

Miss it? Time to reload and do this terribly annoying section again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X68ZlLGuLaY&t=211s

Also earlier in this video is an example of one of the worst control decisions ever. You have to hold up to grab the wires. Up and attack with zero does a move that sends him DOWN with no way to stop it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm just going to hop on the :bandwagon: and sing the Zero series' praises.

Most of what I can say about it has already been said, but I really liked the Resistance. while there are the occasional repeated sprite for non-speaking/plot unimportant characters and crowd scenes, every member has their own character, from Alouette to Andrew. Not to mention, they actually had a romance subplot that didn't get in the way of everything else at all (granted, I may be reading too much into stuff), basically 'Zero likes Ciel, Ciel likes Zero, but they're both too busy (or in Zero's case, traumatised from past events) to actually talk about having a relationship'. It certainly feels a lot less forced than a lot of other romances in videogames, by virtue of being left almost entirely unsaid.

But like i said, I might be a bit :tinfoil: and seeing things that aren't there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Zero is beyond uninterested in Ciel's crush. I think one can say without getting creepy that she has one, but he's not responding at all, without being "tsundere" or poo poo like that, he's just all professional, all the time, or rather: He doesn't know nor care about love. He knows loyalty, he knows how to do the right thing, and he knows how to fight above all. He'll do everything to end anyone whom he thinks evil, giving his all, and that's it. Zero can't exist without the fight, he's [dunno some Metal Gear anology here? I have no real grasp on MG canon].
He has to die with his war, that's the only way. There's no place for romance in Zero's life and that's a very good thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Didn't he used to have a thing with Iris and all that
and after that didn't work out he didn't know what he was fighting for. Doesn't sound that professional.
I guess things changed, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I wouldn't say Zero was completely uninterested-while he didn't openly reciprocate, his choice of last words does lend some credence to the theory. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure there's a bit in Area Zero where you can promise Alouette that you, her an Ciel can go explore area Zero once he gets back. It suggests that while he went to Ragnarok fully prepared to die fighting, it to paraphrase Mal Reynolds, 'Wasn't exactly plan A.' While it does fit thematically that he died, I think Zero would be entirely willing to give that whole 'peace' thing a go if he hadn't died.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

and after that didn't work out he didn't know what he was fighting for. Doesn't sound that professional.

I can't help wondering if Ciel was deliberately designed to invoke Iris, in a way. They're both romanitcally attracted to Zero, they're both scientifically minded (Iris was the one who did all the upgrades in Xtreme 2, unless I'm mistaken), they're both pacifists, they both a a familial relationship of sorts with a Reploid that antagonises Zero (Iris and Colonel, and Ciel is copy X's 'mother'). They even join up with a group of Reploids wrongly accused of being maverick who try and live apart from human society (and have a fondness for berets), having defected from the side hunting them down (although Ciel changed sides at the outset of the conflict). They even have similar hairstyles, for crying out loud!

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Hoppy posted:

I hate that level for one specific reason. The three reploids just past 3:30 in this video. One of them has a nightmare thing just pixels away from him. You have to fall from above to get it, and if you miss or fall, it is lost.

Miss it? Time to reload and do this terribly annoying section again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X68ZlLGuLaY&t=211s

Also earlier in this video is an example of one of the worst control decisions ever. You have to hold up to grab the wires. Up and attack with zero does a move that sends him DOWN with no way to stop it.

Well there is at least one awesome thing about his stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnNvR9SqwPc

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord
You guys are missing one of the best things about the Zero series. The satisfaction of slicing a boss in half!

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Yonic Symbolism posted:

There are about 200 years between X4 and Zero 1. Dude's pretty much a husk by the time Ciel finds him, both literally and figuratively.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The fanboy part of me hopes and prays that Inafune would come back and do his vision of X5-->Zero without interference. Don't really care how, make it an alternate universe or make the other ones "historically inaccurate and this is the REAL story" or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I always expected (ie hoped for) was a 3D, third-person MM game for Wii - not a Legends game or some other wacky thing, but something akin to the original series... selectable stages, Robot Masters, the whole bit, just in 3D with Sin & Punishment-style controls.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Free Chicken posted:

You guys are missing one of the best things about the Zero series. The satisfaction of slicing a boss in half!

Maha Ganeshariff is by far the best for this. You slice his trunk in half!

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Dear Diary,

Today I decided never to have sex again.

-Glenn_Beckett

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Should be placed in a 3x3 square instead, in the same order as on the game's menu.

Seriously though, that's pretty neat.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Oh snap. Is that the older style artwork?

Also, you fail because Gyro Man is the best Robot Master.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
e: ^ I can't believe how wrong you are about the best robot master, and also it's only mega man 2

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Should be placed in a 3x3 square instead, in the same order as on the game's menu.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure I could do that in the right order from memory.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 24, 2012

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Then why haven't you?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure I could do that in the right order from memory.

I fixed that typo for you.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Glenn_Beckett posted:

e: ^ I can't believe how wrong you are about the best robot master, and also it's only mega man 2

Put a picture of yourself in the middle. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

Magil of Shadow posted:

Then why haven't you?

Because I'm a oval office! Also, for posterity, it's bubble, air, quick, heat, W, wood, metal, flash, crash from left to right and then top to bottom.

I actually am RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT hanging the six masters from mega man one in the hallway as a long line like it's the nerdiest gallery showing on the planet.