Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, I just ordered a SSD for my new MBP. I can't remember how big Mountain Lion is to do a fresh install. 8GB?

According to the App Store page it's 4.07GB. Not sure if that's just the installer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

choobs posted:

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM that is still running Snow Leopard. I haven't had a compelling reason to upgrade to Mountain Lion until today when i found out a game I want to play is 10.7+

Is there any reason not to upgrade with this oldish hardware?

You will lose Rosetta if you care about that at all.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is it in any way possible to add music to my iPhone without having to use iTunes? I've got both a PC and a Mac, and I hope at least the PC doesn't need iTunes (I hate that poo poo program with a passion). I used to add music to my iPod via Winamp in the old days, and that discovery - i.e. not having to use iTunes - improved my life quality with roughly 150 percent.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Xabi posted:

Is it in any way possible to add music to my iPhone without having to use iTunes? I've got both a PC and a Mac, and I hope at least the PC doesn't need iTunes (I hate that poo poo program with a passion). I used to add music to my iPod via Winamp in the old days, and that discovery - i.e. not having to use iTunes - improved my life quality with roughly 150 percent.

Newest versions of Winamp should support your iPhone. It wasn't perfect last time I tried it, but more here: http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/IPhone_and_iPod_touch_support

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I'm having a weird installation issue on a client's system with Mountain Lion.

We're trying to install 10.8/Mountain Lion (downloaded). The installer runs, he selects his hard drive, it copies files, then reboots - and he ends right back up at his 10.6 Desktop.

No errors, nothing.

How do I start to diagnose this?

I feel dumb. I was just double-clicking the DMG and then running the installer from that (a reboot would cause the DMG to unmount).

I dragged the installer to the Desktop and ran it from there. Mountain Lion installed fine, then.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

So I have an old Macbook Pro 15" with the Intel Core Duo processor. However, I am still running OS 10.4. As time goes on and various websites gets updates, I've watched helplessly as Youtube playback goes to poo poo, and Netflix refuse to play as I can't install the latest Silverlight.

As someone who used to use these sites on this very laptop I'm just getting increasingly infuriated as my ability to access content and software gets shutoff piecemeal. Is there any workaround to this or am I just hosed short of buying at least one OS upgrade?

In even better news for you than before, Apple just started selling Snow Leopard again, for $19.99: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Crossposting from the iPhone thread since it seems to be more of a general iCloud problem:

I changed my password on Monday, but iCloud didn't accept it on my iPhone and iMac, leading to more password changes to make sure I didn't mistype it, and then I decided to leave it alone. Later that day, I try the old password I had before the first change again, and it works. I can access all iCloud services on my iPhone and iMac, but iMessage isn't working on my iPad.

So today I try to log out and log back in on the iPad and now it won't accept any passwords, old or new. I try the same for iCloud.com, going as far as copy & pasting my password from the Keychain on my iMac, but nope. Meanwhile, on my iPhone and iMac, all iCloud services continue to be functional. I'm obviously not doing the log-out-log-back-in spiel on the working devices, and password resets didn't help when I tried them on Monday... so what are my options? Is this normal? Shouldn't password resets at least disable the old password?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

In even better news for you than before, Apple just started selling Snow Leopard again, for $19.99: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Not exactly better news, as they were basically giving it away before if you called them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got a refund for a program from the MAS, am I suppose to manually delete the program myself or is it automated by some kind of killswitch or something?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

empty baggie posted:

Not exactly better news, as they were basically giving it away before if you called them.

I think they still charged $20

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think they still charged $20
It seemed to be inconsistent. Some of our customers got it for free, some just were charged shipping, and some had to pay the twenty.

We were authorized by our company to silently update any computers in for service that were still running leopard, and I heard some actual apple stores were doing it as well.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, I just ordered a SSD for my new MBP. I can't remember how big Mountain Lion is to do a fresh install. 8GB?

Do you mean space wise on a bootable USB? If so, I *think* it's closer to 5GBish, I used an 8GB USB and it still had space on it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, how long has Mail.app had data detectors for UPS tracking codes? :stare:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

At least Lion, it's a feature it shares with the iOS version. And it's great.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey dudes, I have a quick question:

How come uTorrent doesn't show my files when I'm downloading them? I saved them to my desktop, not the default location (I think under downloads). Is there any way I can get them to show up under downloading/active or even anywhere in uTorrent?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo, how long has Mail.app had data detectors for UPS tracking codes? :stare:
USPS and FedEx too :eng101:

Guni posted:

Hey dudes, I have a quick question:

How come uTorrent doesn't show my files when I'm downloading them? I saved them to my desktop, not the default location (I think under downloads). Is there any way I can get them to show up under downloading/active or even anywhere in uTorrent?

Wild guess would be cause it's filtering down to your search of "burn notice" in the upper right search field of the window (and it's not matching your download names of Burn Notice files in some way :iiam:).

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

japtor posted:

Wild guess would be cause it's filtering down to your search of "burn notice" in the upper right search field of the window (and it's not matching your download names of Burn Notice files in some way :iiam:).

Yup, I'm just a spastic.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Martytoof posted:

I thought the people i was buying things from were linking the tracking number but i just looked back and in most cases it was apple wow

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any Evernote 5 users here worked out how to search within a specific notebook? Even if I have a particular notebook selected, searches return all sorts of results from every notebook of mine, as well as shared notebooks I've been invited to. It really breaks my old workflow for finding my own notes.

Hell, I'd be satisfied with turning off search for shared notebooks at this point.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Any Evernote 5 users here worked out how to search within a specific notebook? Even if I have a particular notebook selected, searches return all sorts of results from every notebook of mine, as well as shared notebooks I've been invited to. It really breaks my old workflow for finding my own notes.

Hell, I'd be satisfied with turning off search for shared notebooks at this point.

Command-f seems to work.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

modig posted:

Command-f seems to work.

"Within a specific notebook", not "within a specific note".

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Lexicon posted:

"Within a specific notebook", not "within a specific note".

Ahh yeah, missed that word. No idea.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Lexicon posted:

If I click on the search field in the upper-right, there's an "Add search option" on the popover that lets you select a particular notebook. If you have a single notebook selected, that notebook will also show up in the search field popover as a choice you can select instead of Everything.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

chutwig posted:

If I click on the search field in the upper-right, there's an "Add search option" on the popover that lets you select a particular notebook. If you have a single notebook selected, that notebook will also show up in the search field popover as a choice you can select instead of Everything.

Cool, thanks. How about "all notebooks belonging to me"? The root issue I'm having is that I don't want the shitloads of notes from Shared Notebooks I'm a member of (related to work) turning up in results.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In case anyone else runs into this: if your non-principal caldav calendars start throwing wah-wah is "not a location that supports this request", you can fix this by CmD-Q'ing iCal and rm'ing your calendar cache in

~/Library/Calendars/Calendar\ Cache

The server error message might lead you to think this is a gcal issue, but no.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I've had to start using my iMac in safe mode because after it boots the UI becomes unresponsive and goes all pixelated. I'm assuming the video card (an 8800GS) is broke.

Is it possible to disable the video card acceleration so I don't have to constantly boot into safe mode?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

For some reason my Mac spell check is set to German, which is annoying as gently caress considering everything I write is in English.

I can change the language to various others including English when I right click and choose "Spelling and Grammar", but for some reason it always defaults to German. I've had a look in the language settings in system preferences but can't see anything out of place there. Additionally, there are no languages other than en and en_AU in my /user/spelling/ directory.

Can anyone help?

Edit: I'm on 10.8.2

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket
Not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask about this, but it's been happening for a while and I thought I'd ask, but does anyone get this strange behaviour with InDesign on Lion or Mountain Lion?

Mission Control

Notification Centre

Basically what's happening is the InDesign panels are floating above everything else and aren't affected by OSX telling them to fly out of the way for Mission Control, Notification Centre (rendering it useless when InDesign is active) or the View Desktop gesture.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a workaround or is this just a case of tough poo poo?

This doesn't happen on any other CS suite program that I've noticed.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure the answer is Adobe.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket
Yeah I figured as much :(

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
A workaround for Photoshop 5.5 is to run it in the single-window mode, though that also has drawbacks, depending on your workflow. (And the window still doesn't get out of the way when notification center asks.)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Received an AppleTV for my birthday but cried when I realized my 2010 MBP isn't compatible with Mountain Lion's Screen Mirror, as it uses a proprietary Intel technology QuickSync(in Sandy and Ivy Bridge, I believe) to help encode the feed.

I've found AirParrot, but haven't been able to find any YouTube videos of my specific machine running it. It seems to work well with the iMacs and Minis I've seen but is someone, please, able to comment and compare AirParrot to native Screen Mirroring? Of course, I am primarily interested in how well it handles HD video but any gaming experience with it is good too.

I realize and accept that if my preferred choice of wirelessly streaming doesn't pan out, I can use a mini-display to hdmi adapter, but that application really doesn't work well with my TV setup and more importantly I really don't want to be tethered to my television.

edit: I am also interested in any other software solutions aside from AirParrot, if there are any. Thank you kindly in advance.

decypher fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 28, 2012

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You do realize AirParrot offers a demo, right?

Also Beamer is a handy app but doesn't mirror- it will send almost any video directly to the AppleTV without conversion needed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I bought a new 15" non-retina MBP and an Apple TV

Playback from my iPhone and iPad to the ATV is flawless, but playback from my MBP stutters like hell.

This happens if the ATV is wired or not.

Any ideas why airplay from my MBP to the ATV sucks so bad?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I'm know this question has been asked before, and I even did a quick thread search with SALR but didn't find a concrete answer. What's my best option for FLAC playback? Right now I'm ripping my music to FLAC (for playback on my WDTV Live and in Windows), ALAC (iTunes on my mini), and MP3 (for portable devices). I don't think I'll be able to get rid of the second MP3 copy anytime soon, but I'd love to be able to get to just one lossless copy of my library that I can listen to from Windows, OS X, or my WDTV Live. Since I already have/use iTunes, something that enables FLAC support in it would be great, assuming it works well....but at the same time, I'm not married to iTunes and wouldn't have a problem using some other piece of software.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
I use Fidelia for flac playback on my mac.
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/fidelia/

The sound quality is fantastic! Much better than iTunes.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 29, 2012

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I haven't used it recently, but Fluke plays FLAC files in iTunes and used to work pretty well. http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Try giving clementine a shot:

http://www.clementine-player.org/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What do you guys use for folder syncing on macs? Something schedulable would be best (or Dropbox style change tracking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you guys use for folder syncing on macs? Something schedulable would be best (or Dropbox style change tracking).

...Dropbox?