Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bombadilillo posted:

Im sitting here waiting for the update to download. Based on nintendos network, if your wifi speed is the bottleneck in your setup, its your own problem.

Despite the general shittiness of console downloads, there are other reasons for using a LAN; I got my ps3 hooked up because I can't stream 1080p video from my PC over wifi. I don't know why you have to turn this into an argument, every console should come with both wifi and an ethernet port; the fact that Sony are the only ones who didn't cheap out is shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

To an accept a friend request, I meant.

You need to register them too, I think. It's a pretty bad system

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Thank you. I looked... not sure how I missed it.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

Protokoll posted:

Holy poo poo this update is glacial -- I'm rocking 120 Mb/s downstream and I've been sitting here for 40 minutes waiting for this to download.

I don't think ACIII supports remote play -- but Batman does (and it looks awesome).

Assassin's Creed 3 for Wii U Manual posted:

3.3 Options
3.3.1 Remote Play
When this option is enabled, the main screen is redirected to the Wii U GamePad. This allows someone to watch TV while you keep playing the game. THis option has no effect when playing with the Wii U Pro Controller

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Katana Gomai posted:

Despite the general shittiness of console downloads, there are other reasons for using a LAN; I got my ps3 hooked up because I can't stream 1080p video from my PC over wifi. I don't know why you have to turn this into an argument, every console should come with both wifi and an ethernet port; the fact that Sony are the only ones who didn't cheap out is shocking.

I can't think of a single network-enabled device I've bought in the last 2 years that had an ethernet port and all support 802.11n which provides more than enough bandwidth for 1080p streaming. PS3 also came out so long ago that 802.11n was not a heavily adopted standard. Upgrade your router because this is going to be the norm from here on out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
In theory 802.11n has worse latency than ethernet but I'm not sure either that or its reduced bandwidth are substantial enough to ever matter. Ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Download for update took 42 minutes. Better then the horror stories I was hearing.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My wii u won't recognize my 5ghz wifi network. Anyone else have this issue? It picks up the regular network fine.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Walmart.com has deluxs back in stock, but you have to buy it as a two game bundle. Thankfully you get to pick your two games so it isn't such a bad deal. They have been going in and out of stock for t he past 2 hours so if anyone wants one, that is a good place to keep an eye out right now.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Oh good, you DO get friend requests, none of that adding mutually poo poo.

Now the people I've added log in already and accept my requests so I can have friends and feel validated and loved.

Also loving Nintendo Land and NSMBU and gonna hop into ZombiU here in a bit. Excited for Sonic Racing Tuesday and might pick up one of the eshop games. I'm thinking Little Inferno. They showed it on the GiantBomb stream and it seemed dumb and right up my alley.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How do you set up your ID? Is it linked to Mii's you make? or is that just for saving game stuff.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Well in my opinion, if it's stationary, it should come with a port but there really isn't more to say about that.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Bombadilillo posted:

How do you set up your ID? Is it linked to Mii's you make? or is that just for saving game stuff.

You gotta connect to the network and I forget the exact steps unfortunately :(

It's basically like your Xbox Live Gamertag or something. And yeah you can link it to a specific Mii.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Any reviews for the eShop games yet? Trine 2 is great, but I already have that on Steam and I don't know anything about the others.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bombadilillo posted:

It's linked to your console, and can not be transferred. To set it up, click on your Mii icon in the top left of the Wii U menu, and select User Settings, Link to Nintendo Network account (or something like that)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

It's linked to your console, and can not be transferred. To set it up, click on your Mii icon in the top left of the Wii U menu, and select User Settings, Link to Nintendo Network account (or something like that)

Thanks, it prompted me to make it after the update, so Im doin it now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't get the USB External Hard-Drive to work. It just stuck on "checking usb storage device..."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man I want someone to post more vids of Nano Assault Neo. There were some livestreams but they're gone. Can't believe the game's only ten bucks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rirse posted:

Can't get the USB External Hard-Drive to work. It just stuck on "checking usb storage device..."

Did you delete everything on it first? There's a second option that says something like "Delete contents of USB Hardware" that you have to do in order to format it in a way the Wii U can use.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Would there be much difference in performance between an external HDD and a simple USB flash memory stick? I've got a spare 32GB stick I wouldn't mind using.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I registered my Nintendo Network ID now I need some friends. Also, is the ID like your GamerTag? Is that ID what's displayed in games or is the name of the Mii that's linked to it displayed online? You also can't log into it outside of the console so I'm not sure what the point of it is. It doesn't seem to be connected to your Club Nintendo account in anyway other than both being on the same console.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flyboi posted:

I can't think of a single network-enabled device I've bought in the last 2 years that had an ethernet port and all support 802.11n which provides more than enough bandwidth for 1080p streaming. PS3 also came out so long ago that 802.11n was not a heavily adopted standard. Upgrade your router because this is going to be the norm from here on out.

This is a really smug response over a topic that you either have no idea what you are talking about or are just being willfully dense about it.

The WiiU not having an ethernet port is a really bad design choice and making customers pay more for a USB adapter is another really bad design choice. If you are perfectly fine with just having a WiFi with an optional USB adapter that's cool man, but even with all the technological advances in the world the ethernet port is such a small detail that not including it should rightfully cause you to scratch your head.

Both the newest models of the PS3 and 360 still include it and from the rumored specs for the next additions have it included as well. Sure I'm not hooking up my tablet or phone to a wired port but the netbook that I bought this year still includes one, and so does every ultrabook and mid-ranged laptop because point blank this isn't South Korea where the entire country is covered in WiFi and sometimes a Cat5 cable is all you can get.

I mean at least you weren't clamoring about overheating as a reason because that would be reaching a little bit.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
How do I turn the Gamepad screen off if I'm watching a movie on Netflix? I'm worried about screen burn.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

Liku posted:

So I registered my Nintendo Network ID now I need some friends. Also, is the ID like your GamerTag? Is that ID what's displayed in games or is the name of the Mii that's linked to it displayed online? You also can't log into it outside of the console so I'm not sure what the point of it is. It doesn't seem to be connected to your Club Nintendo account in anyway other than both being on the same console.

Everyone's dumping here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517962
Yes it is. I believe the ID is displayed in-game

SyRauk posted:

How do I turn the Gamepad screen off if I'm watching a movie on Netflix? I'm worried about screen burn.
Press Home button while in the app, press Controller settings on the left, press Display Off on the left

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Republicans posted:

Would there be much difference in performance between an external HDD and a simple USB flash memory stick? I've got a spare 32GB stick I wouldn't mind using.

Yeah but why would you do that? Nintendo's current games are very small but any normal game will be 10+ GB. Might as well use an external.

quote:

This is a really smug response over a topic that you either have no idea what you are talking about or are just being willfully dense about it.
Wifi is a thing a lot of people have. It is also super cheap to have, and the speed difference between it and a wired connection is very tiny nowadays. Who cares?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

beergod posted:

Can the tablet be set up to control an av receiver? It strikes me as kind of worthless if it can't change inputs on it (the receiver).

This all depends on if the console's HDMI implemented HDMI-CEC.
Which I highly doubt. But I would love to know too!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Zombie u is a fantastic game so far. I'm genuinely scared on a lot of parts. Great atmosphere and the sounds the zombies make are terrifying.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Added some more dudes, I think. They're all listed as provisional though. Wondering if they're even getting the friend requests proper, as it says they have to enter MY Nintendo ID. I thought that stuff was just a "You have a friend request!" now?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

scottus posted:

Press Home button while in the app, press Controller settings on the left, press Display Off on the left

This works but I cannot get back to watching my movie because if I try to exit that menu screen by pressing a button on the controller then it turns back on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The music is so good in NintendoLand that it makes me glare at Nintendo for phoning it in as badly as they did with NSMBU. I mean maybe their resources were all diverted to Nintendoland but come onnnnn.

The Iwata Asks interview says they were working on NSMBU for three years. I honestly have no idea why the NSMB games have such half-arsed music when literally every other piece of software they release has fantastic tunes. It's completely bewildering.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Republicans posted:

I think I remember Iwata saying that flash memory won't work.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wifi is a thing a lot of people have. It is also super cheap to have, and the speed difference between it and a wired connection is very tiny nowadays. Who cares?

The last study said that 40% of Americans don't have WiFi and that the majority that do have it are on unprotected open networks that aren't configured properly. Just because you are a little bit computer literate and can get little to no speed difference doesn't mean that it's the absolute norm.

40% of all American households goes into the millions and it just highlights the fact that it's a piss poor design choice from a company that usually makes good choices.

That's all I'm saying about it. It's not an attack on the WiiU. It's not an attack on Nintendo. It's just looking at the hardware and gasping as to why it wasn't included.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think flash thumbdrives technically function, but are recommended against because the amount of reading/writing will kill them relatively fast.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zomodok posted:

The WiiU not having an ethernet port is a really bad design choice and making customers pay more for a USB adapter is another really bad design choice. If you are perfectly fine with just having a WiFi with an optional USB adapter that's cool man, but even with all the technological advances in the world the ethernet port is such a small detail that not including it should rightfully cause you to scratch your head.

Both the newest models of the PS3 and 360 still include it and from the rumored specs for the next additions have it included as well. Sure I'm not hooking up my tablet or phone to a wired port but the netbook that I bought this year still includes one, and so does every ultrabook and mid-ranged laptop because point blank this isn't South Korea where the entire country is covered in WiFi and sometimes a Cat5 cable is all you can get.

I mean at least you weren't clamoring about overheating as a reason because that would be reaching a little bit.

Of course the 360 and PS3 will, they always had it and people would cry foul about losing features and try a class-action lawsuit. No, I'm not being smug. Looking at my 2 laptops, wii u, vita, 3ds, tablets, etc none of them came with an ethernet port and every single one supports 802.11n either 2.5ghz or 5ghz. I can stream 1080p cable just fine via wmc on my macbook air as I have a network tuner.

Sorry but this is the norm anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if the next xbox and playstation as well ditch ethernet adapters. It's an extra cost and most everyone these days have ditched wired networks entirely. I had to pay $40 for a network adapter on my macbook air and I only got it in the off-chance I'm off-site and need to use it but so far have never had to.

Having watched the teardown of a 8gb Wii U it seems it would've been difficult to include one in the layout without making the thing larger and even still, the Wii didn't have an ethernet port so I'm not sure why you would expect Nintendo to regress.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Anyone care to explain to me what that last statement means? Digital Content Privilege? This is BT Games South Africa.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012
I'm having a problem with the TV controls. I have a semi-cheap Dynex LCD and to change input, you press the button on the side of the tv to bring up the list of inputs, then keep pressing it to cycle through, leaving it on one to choose it. Unfortunately, pressing the input button on the Wii U Tv menu just brings up the list, and when I press it again, it goes away. Kind of a bummer. Also, I don't like how to control the TV, you have to point the gamepad horizontally at the TV/cable box, when its much more natural to hold it up vertically in front of you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I'm really enjoying ZombiU so far. I'm not far into it but it seems really cool. Does it go to poo poo later on or something?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ImpAtom posted:

So I'm really enjoying ZombiU so far. I'm not far into it but it seems really cool. Does it go to poo poo later on or something?

I've read five reviews which assume this would be an action FPS and not a survival horror FPS.

Just garbage reviews basically.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Zomodok posted:

The last study said that 40% of Americans don't have WiFi and that the majority that do have it are on unprotected open networks that aren't configured properly. Just because you are a little bit computer literate and can get little to no speed difference doesn't mean that it's the absolute norm.

40% of all American households goes into the millions and it just highlights the fact that it's a piss poor design choice from a company that usually makes good choices.

That's all I'm saying about it. It's not an attack on the WiiU. It's not an attack on Nintendo. It's just looking at the hardware and gasping as to why it wasn't included.

And a majority of that 40% are technophobes that wouldn't buy a Wii U in the first place. In their target market, I would estimate people having wifi to be closer to 80-90% (completely pulling numbers out of my rear end, though). Not many people are going to be buying a Wii U that do not have a wifi router.

Even if it's not properly configured, it'll still work to get the WiiU online. It shouldn't need encryption at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm glad that configuring the TV Remote feature only linked to my Samsung HDTV and didn't link to my old Samsung CRT that I use for old vidja games, as they are both in close proximity to each other. It would've sucked if hitting the power button turned both of them on at the same time like my HDTV's remote. Probably using some newer-ish remote code that wasn't available on the older Samsung TVs I guess?

• Locked thread