Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What the hell is that thing on the right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's a Nazi werewolf. The redband trailer for that looks hilarious, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2m2DJybD4

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Gonz posted:

It looks like they resurrected Scatman Crothers to play him, so that's nice.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love the font choice and general layout of this. It makes it look like a serious biopic until you get to the "Badass" and the Nazi werewolf at the same time.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Young Freud posted:

I love the font choice and general layout of this. It makes it look like a serious biopic until you get to the "Badass" and the Nazi werewolf at the same time.

And the tagline. Marco...Polio

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The local independent movie theater has a thing where every sunday they show a cult classic. They also get a different artist to design a new poster each week:

By Bobby Breiðholt

By Lóa Hlín Hjálmtýsdóttir

By Ómar Örn Hauksson.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Gonz posted:

That's not a Nazi werewolf... it's Mussolini! Don't they teach proper history in schools anymore?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

By Bobby Breiðholt

This is terrible and is a great example of what's wrong with 99% of fan "minimalist" posters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

feedmyleg posted:

This is terrible and is a great example of what's wrong with 99% of fan "minimalist" posters.

Yeah, this doesn't tell me anything about the movie, granted I know absolutely nothing about the movie anyway. It looks nice, but means nothing.

Make it red instead of green and it'd make a decent Homestuck poster, though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

I haven't seen the movie in forever and I don't even think I saw the whole thing last time I did. What's it meaning to depict?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Frostwerks posted:

I haven't seen the movie in forever and I don't even think I saw the whole thing last time I did. What's it meaning to depict?

The girl's green eyes, with a lightning bolt?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who is Dennis Dun? Shouldn't it be James Hong?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And the tire of the big rig, I believe. The lightning bolt being the magic? I's been a long time for me as well. If we, who have seen the movie, can barely remember, how the hell is someone who hasn't seen it supposed to get anything from that poster.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's clearly a movie about lightning and green tires

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Looks a lot like this Rubber poster, only with a different eye colour and lightning added.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Looks a lot like this Rubber poster, only with a different eye colour and lightning added.

This works because it's a sentient tire. That's the whole premise of the movie.

I agree that the flaw with that Big Trouble In Little China poster is that it's too minimalist and in-jokey.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So Big Trouble in Little China is about an LP being struck by lightning?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MikeJF posted:

So Big Trouble in Little China is about an LP being struck by lightning?

Yes.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

I agree that the flaw with that Big Trouble In Little China poster is that it's too minimalist and in-jokey.

To be fair, it was commissioned for a repertory screening - the kind of thing generally attended by people who will get the joke.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DNS posted:

To be fair, it was commissioned for a repertory screening - the kind of thing generally attended by people who will get the joke.

At least half the people commenting on the poster have seen the film and still barely know what the poster means, if they get it at all.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Tyler Stout's Big Trouble poster was pretty good.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mister Chief posted:

He uses that drat black/red/gold scheme in everything, but this is where it works perfectly.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Holy crap these people are twenty feet tall!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

It looks quite stylish but it's probably the least Big Trouble in Little China-esque poster imaginable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Chief posted:

One look at what is supposed to be Kurt Russell's face gives the lie to your claim. That poster is loving awful, even by Mondo's apparently non-existent standards.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Noxville posted:

Holy crap these people are twenty feet tall!

Well according the lorespergs at the halo wiki Chief is supposed to be 7'2" so at least he's actually roughly to scale with the other people on the poster.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mister Chief posted:

Why does everyone's face look like it's made of cracked plaster? I mean, I understand stylized portrayals but I don't see the point of those lines.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why does everyone's face look like it's made of cracked plaster? I mean, I understand stylized portrayals but I don't see the point of those lines.

There are only two things I don't like about Tyler's style: Those drat lines and that his posters are usually TOO busy. Sometimes there is so much happening, so many little details, all clustered together that it's so tired for my sight, so I get bored and pass it over without a second look.

I guess it might look much better in real life, and those details don't change the fact that I would die to have one of those posters (drat you consumerism).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That Big Trouble in Little China poster is poo poo, and I don't particularly like Tyler's one either -- too few colors, too much detail, not good.

I guess what I'm saying is that everything sucks compared to these:

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Kurt, Russ all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, that one looks messed up in some other subtle ways. Here's a huge one which seems to be correct though:
http://i.imgur.com/45RBg.jpg

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
They shouldn't even bother trying to design new Big Trouble posters, nothing will ever be better than the original.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ez posted:

They shouldn't even bother trying to design new Big Trouble posters, nothing will ever be better than the original.

Or at least if you're going to redesign it, try for a completely new audience. I mean hey, it's in New York, it's got Kim Cattrall, and she's deciding between marrying into old money or just having some non-committal fun with a blue-collar hunk. Watch Samantha find... Big Trouble in Little China!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Or at least if you're going to redesign it, try for a completely new audience. I mean hey, it's in New York, it's got Kim Cattrall, and she's deciding between marrying into old money or just having some non-committal fun with a blue-collar hunk. Watch Samantha find... Big Trouble in Little China!

Unfortunately, "Little China" is located in San Francisco, not New York.

However, playing to the "Sex And The City" crowd would be hilarious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah dammit, that's right. I guess some of us in the original audience need to watch it again...

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Watch it anytime, anywhere it says at the top. Seems optimistic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lobok posted:

Ah dammit, that's right. I guess some of us in the original audience need to watch it again...

Everyone needs to watch it again, except people who have not seen it before. They should instead watch it for the first time.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Remember when they used to make music video tie ins?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYEdmW47gQ

It's a shame that John Carpenter and the Coup De Villes never made one for The Thing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Something terrible's happened to Kurt Russell's face and I don't think I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Maarak posted:

Remember when they used to make music video tie ins?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYEdmW47gQ

It's a shame that John Carpenter and the Coup De Villes never made one for The Thing.
This is a pretty reasonable substitute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

Hate this guy's posters so much. Every face! Poorly drawn! Some other elements from the movie! Pack it all together!