Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And I read the comments. Jesus Christ people, it's a developing story. They're ripping on the title being misleading and how much the diary sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

VanSandman posted:

What are the chances the Justice Department ignores or does a summary "investigation" of this?

I dunno, Fox news' power seems to be on the wane with the US election leaving them a sputtering mess. They're certainly not going to be able to shut this thing down solo.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ok, so what does this mean (a) would happen in an ideal world (b) is likely to actually happen?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Little_wh0re posted:

Ok, so what does this mean (a) would happen in an ideal world (b) is likely to actually happen?

1. Rupert Murdoch divested of his wealth and power, imprisoned for the rest of his life. Fox News burned to the ground, land on which it stood exorcised, salted.
  2. Probably nothing. :smith:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

prefect posted:

1. Rupert Murdoch divested of his wealth and power, imprisoned for the rest of his life. Fox News burned to the ground, land on which it stood exorcised, salted.

I was going for more of a "If it was Al Jazeera not New International" rather than "Unicorns and rainbows" hypothetical.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Why does the Daily Beast article say there would be an audit trail for any dodgy payments by the press for the Saddam photos? Wouldn't that be a cash-in-a-plain-brown-envelope sort of job or have I watched too many crime thrillers?

Edit: Also, £500 is surely a huge underestimate of any sum paid for those pictures, no?

Warrahooyaargh fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 19, 2012

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Edit: Also, £500 is surely a huge underestimate of any sum paid for those pictures, no?

I imagine that's why the quote was careful to give a minimum amount of £500 which of course doesn't bar the actual amount from hitting the couple of grand it probably actually was

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

prefect posted:

2. Probably nothing. :smith:

Answer b. is the correct one.

Saddam is far, far away on the sympathy scale from Milly Dowler. No one will care.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No one will care that a hack bribed the US army? You won't get a wave of public revulsion, but that sounds like the thing Americans will prosecute over.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
They certainly could prosecute, but why would they? It'd be a huge amount of effort, expenditure and all the rest in order to punish some people for publishing an embarrassing photo of one the most hated men on the planet.
Unless there is an email from roops himself proclaiming 'I order you to corrupt the us government, muahahaha!' nothing will happen to him. I sincerely hope there is more to it than what we think we know, and that there is more to come, but if this is all there is, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I guess I'll have to spell it out, supposedly two emails were discovered in datapool 3 by News Corps Management Standards Commitee from a News Int editor to Murdoch telling him about the Saddam pants photos, to which Murdoch replied it was "money well spent", which shows Murdoch knows they were bought from someone, and apparently News Corp is making GBS threads their collective pants over it. That £500 figure is also supposedly missing a couple of zeros.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That would be the worst-case scenario for Fox, correct? To not only have been involved in illegality in the US but for the highest levels be aware of it as well?

I imagine that the fact that we are talking about this now means that there is conclusive proof that is in the hands of the authorities, I hope.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

I guess I'll have to spell it out, supposedly two emails were discovered in datapool 3 by News Corps Management Standards Commitee from a News Int editor to Murdoch telling him about the Saddam pants photos, to which Murdoch replied it was "money well spent", which shows Murdoch knows they were bought from someone, and apparently News Corp is making GBS threads their collective pants over it. That £500 figure is also supposedly missing a couple of zeros.

The Daily Beast article carefully doesn't seem to mention any of this. If what you just said is borne out then that could indeed blow up nicely. Well, blow up into a cloud of "It was a long time ago" and "I can't recall" at first but hopefully they can screw out enough corroborating material out of NewsCorp.

This is the only mention of e-mails in the piece:

quote:

Last year, New Corp. set up a Management and Standards Committee, tasked with assisting British police with uncovering evidence of corrupt payments. The MSC holds a vast database of internal News International emails and communications, and answers to former U.S. assistant attorney general and News Corp. board member Viet Dinh. It is not known whether any requests for information have been made to the MSC regarding The Sun’s activities in May 2005, when the Hussein pictures were published.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My understanding is a lot of journalists are scrambling to get their hands on the emails in question, obviously whoever gets it wins at journalism. It'll be interesting to see what the Evening Standard has.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Was data pool 3 made totally public?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
As in Rupert knew, or James?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

thehustler posted:

As in Rupert knew, or James?

Rupes himself. Datapool three is in the hands of the Met and News Corps MSC.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Brown Moses posted:

Rupes himself. Datapool three is in the hands of the Met and News Corps MSC.

I'm sure someone knows somebody at the Met they can pay for a couple of emails, this should be out in no time.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I'm sure someone knows somebody at the Met they can pay for a couple of emails, this should be out in no time.

Supposedly a lot of people are working on this story independently of each other, so something is bound to break sooner or later.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Do we have a timeline for what might happen after this properly gets out? Are we going to be in for a long, protracted investigation? I hate the slowness of things sometimes :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

:rimshot:

Well done. :golfclap:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

thehustler posted:

Do we have a timeline for what might happen after this properly gets out? Are we going to be in for a long, protracted investigation? I hate the slowness of things sometimes :(

If the emails BM is referring to get reported on, I'm sure you'll have a hell of a sideshow on the way to actual due process. Personally, I really want to see how something like this might go down with Newscorp shareholders.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
It sounds as if someone's going to have to bribe somebody at the Met or News Corp's internal investigation outfit, and then there'll be e-mail traces of that, and it'll get revealed, and we'll all disappear up our own behinds.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
Heads up, the Telegraph now has the "Saddam in his undies" story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...orporation.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Heads up, the Telegraph now has the "Saddam in his undies" story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...orporation.html

And so it begins, it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

In the run up to Leveson's report, there are a large number of articles cropping up, such as this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/leveson-inquiry/9685774/Trust-in-the-press-has-not-died.html

Its a bit long to quote but the gist is:

The Leveson Inquiry didn't teach us anything new

Nobody cares about press regulation (versus other issues)

Regulation is a hobby horse of the Left because it will "tame the Tory tabloids" but it will ultimately harm the Left more, since targets of the Left have more to hide behind with regulation.

Its been a while since I was anywhere near as informed on the Leveson/phone hacking/press reform storm as I was near the outset, how much of this article holds weight? I wasn't even aware polls had been taken.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

PiCroft posted:

In the run up to Leveson's report, there are a large number of articles cropping up, such as this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/leveson-inquiry/9685774/Trust-in-the-press-has-not-died.html

Its a bit long to quote but the gist is:

The Leveson Inquiry didn't teach us anything new

Nobody cares about press regulation (versus other issues)

Regulation is a hobby horse of the Left because it will "tame the Tory tabloids" but it will ultimately harm the Left more, since targets of the Left have more to hide behind with regulation.

Its been a while since I was anywhere near as informed on the Leveson/phone hacking/press reform storm as I was near the outset, how much of this article holds weight? I wasn't even aware polls had been taken.

We all knew what was going on and you can't change anything and if you did it would hurt the stuff you like most because wurble furble blurble.

Pack it up, everyone, we're moving back into the trees and throwing poo poo at each other. It's just as good as houses with indoor plumbing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
1) News Incorporated paid UK law enforcement to abuse surveillance powers.

2) US law enforcement has surveillance powers and now everyone knows it (Petraeus)

3) News Incorporated paid a US official to information acquired on the job (Saddam Pics)

These things are not difficult to connect if there is any interest in destroying News Corp's US reputation (but it will be very hard to fight :foxnews:)

Of course nothing will be done to prevent surveillance abuse :downs:

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity
It's only when you pay keen attention the Evening Standard's Twitter feed all day that you realise just how poo poo it is. :(

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Allow me to predict the US reaction:

Fox News: Conspiracy to destroy Obama critics! Most corrupt administration ever! (Unless it was Clinton!)

MSNBC: Hey, there might be something here, maybe.

Government: Nothing

CNN/everyone else: Christmas shopping! Justin Bieber!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The FBI's reaction will be more interesting, they've been informed of everything from what I've heard.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Brown Moses posted:

The FBI's reaction will be more interesting, they've been informed of everything from what I've heard.

Sadly I think they are more interested with investigating the former CIA's sex life right now. :sigh:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Brown Moses posted:

And so it begins, it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

In the words of Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

Does anyone seriously believe that anything is going to happen to Rupert Murdoch?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Comstar posted:

In the words of Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

Does anyone seriously believe that anything is going to happen to Rupert Murdoch?

Remember when this story first broke and everybody said 'nothing would happen' and from it there's a move towards greater press regulation, Paul Dacre making GBS threads himself, Rupert Murdoch confined to a racist twitter account and the News of the World got shut down?

You're going to have, in the next two days, an actual 'NewsCorp bribed US Official to commit War Crime' story with FOX and friends already infighting and breaking apart over the election defeat.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More of Zelo Street on the Murdocalypse.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Remember when this story first broke and everybody said 'nothing would happen' and from it there's a move towards greater press regulation, Paul Dacre making GBS threads himself, Rupert Murdoch confined to a racist twitter account and the News of the World got shut down?

You're going to have, in the next two days, an actual 'NewsCorp bribed US Official to commit War Crime' story with FOX and friends already infighting and breaking apart over the election defeat.

On the other hand, Actual War Criminal Allen West was elected to the House of Representatives for a couple of years. It's a bit of a shame, but the term "war crime" doesn't have the power it ought to. (I hope I'm wrong.)

VVVV I forgot about Ollie. He ran for the Senate with a real chance of winning, and back when he was giving bullshit testimony to Congress, there were a non-trivial number of people who wanted him to be the President. :smith:

prefect fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 19, 2012

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

prefect posted:

On the other hand, Actual War Criminal Allen West was elected to the House of Representatives for a couple of years. It's a bit of a shame, but the term "war crime" doesn't have the power it ought to. (I hope I'm wrong.)

Oliver North, a man who committed high treason, not only had his own talk show but has been featured in trailers for the new Call of Duty game. Let's never forget this when discuss how much Americans really care.

Vim
Feb 10, 2006
From the Grauniad story:

quote:

News Corp said it stood by its decision to publish, saying efforts to highlight the story and link it to ongoing anti-corruption investigations in the US and the UK were just "a lame attempt to regurgitate old news".

Yeah, drat those people who just won't give over about illegal activities.

quote:

A spokesperson added: "We didn't believe then, and certainly don't believe now, that it was wrong to acquire and publish newsworthy photographs of a notorious war criminal."

I'm glad they took the decision to acquire and publish the photos as I had no idea that a notorious war criminal would have worn underpants. I just wish that The Sun had managed to get photos of Slobodan Milosevic to see if he was more of a boxer short kinda guy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/19/saddam-hussein-underpants-news-corp

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That reminds me

quote:

Operation Elveden: CPS to decide whether to bring charges

Prosecutors will announce on Tuesday if they believe they have enough evidence to bring criminal charges following a police investigation into alleged illegal payments by journalists to public officials.

The Crown Prosecution Service will reveal on Tuesday morning its charging decisions following Operation Elveden.

The Metropolitan police has been conducting the investigation and has arrested a series of journalists and public officials.

Police have detained 52 people during Operation Elveden as they investigated alleged corrupt payments made to police officers and other public officials. Of those, 21 are journalists at the Sun newspaper.

Sue Akers, formerly in charge of the investigation, has said Operation Elveden has spread beyond News International to include alleged payments from Trinity Mirror and Express Newspapers.

Among the public officials arrested are a member of the armed forces, a prison official and police officers.

Akers has said the investigations triggered by the phone-hacking scandal may last another three years and cost £40m.

The Met has 185 officers and civilian staff working on the investigations – 96 on Weeting, into phone hacking, 70 on Elveden and 19 on Tuleta, which covers computer hacking.

Among the current and former News International journalists arrested as part of Elveden is Rebekah Brooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Nothing has happened to Rupert though, he just threw a lot of other people under the bus, and I'm sure he will continue to do so until this all blows over. He's too rich and old and powerful to suffer any serious consequences like jail time. The absolute worst thing that can happen to him is that he will be forced to retire to spend more time with his billions.

• Locked thread