Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Install Gentoo posted:

No, you won't get much money for a used one.
Well how much do you reckon a second hand Xbox360 would sell for these days? Like $50? If you bought a video card worth about $600 back in 2006, what would it be worth now? Literally nothing. And new xboxs sell for $199 here still in Australia. What other hardware holds its value like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The original Game Boy maybe had a better run. Depending on if you count the pocket, color, or advance as the successor, it lasted 7, 9 or 12 years.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

CaptainViolence posted:

Are you thinking of Adonis? He was a god, but I've heard the term "with the body of Adonis" used for perfect toned bodies.

I swear it ended in "-ian" which makes me think it's not a greek word, but one we use to describe the toned bodies they desired. Google suggests "Adonian" isn't a real word. I'm starting to think I dreamed Stephen Fry telling me this on QI.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any websites out there like Omegle that aren't just focused on people wanting to talk about sex? Sometimes I'm just bored and want to have a conversation with a stranger without being constantly rejected for being a mid-20s male.

Omegle has "spy mode" where two people are given a question to discuss by a third person who can't participate but can watch the conversation. You might find that better. I don't know how well that works though.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I swear it ended in "-ian" which makes me think it's not a greek word, but one we use to describe the toned bodies they desired. Google suggests "Adonian" isn't a real word. I'm starting to think I dreamed Stephen Fry telling me this on QI.

There's "herculean", basically meaning "big and strong", but that doesn't quite fit the definition you were going for.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Tiggum posted:

Omegle has "spy mode" where two people are given a question to discuss by a third person who can't participate but can watch the conversation. You might find that better. I don't know how well that works though.

Carefully picking your "likes" can solve this problem too.

Tiggum posted:

There's "herculean", basically meaning "big and strong", but that doesn't quite fit the definition you were going for.

Yeah it doesn't. Oh well. I present Adonian as a new word.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Fruit Smoothies posted:

What about (body of an) Olympian?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Carefully picking your "likes" can solve this problem too.

Yeah it doesn't. Oh well. I present Adonian as a new word.

Do you have any more context? Do you mean artistically or what?

Arete is virtue, goodness type thing. Callipygian is beautiful buttocked. Kouros just means "a male youth." I mean there are things called kalos vases because they say stuff like "Hipparchos kalos" ("Hipparchus is a hottie" ) although kalos really means the quality of both physical and moral goodness (but especially physical).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fuckpot posted:

Well how much do you reckon a second hand Xbox360 would sell for these days? Like $50? If you bought a video card worth about $600 back in 2006, what would it be worth now? Literally nothing. And new xboxs sell for $199 here still in Australia. What other hardware holds its value like this?

I sold a video card worth $400 back in 2006 for $100 this year.

Also most Xbox 360s from back before 2007 or so are broken now from the red rings - those ones became practically worthless, and often very quickly!

Also I'm surprised you haven't even thought of graphing calculators. A TI-83 you bought in 1997 for $115 would usually sell for $95 in good condition as late as 2004.

Also the new Xbox 360s have many differences from the original Xbox 360 units.
The original launch Xbox 360s:
-No HDMI
-No wifi and no 802.11N ability when you bought the seperate adaptor
-no built in flash memory storage
-prone to breaking easily
-used 203 watts of power
The new cheap 360s:
-HDMI out
-built-in wifi WITH 802.11n
-built in 4 gb flash storage
-durable
-use only 135 watts of power

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Install Gentoo posted:

Also I'm surprised you haven't even thought of graphing calculators. A TI-83 you bought in 1997 for $115 would usually sell for $95 in good condition as late as 2004.

Isn't this mostly because of standardized testing? Can't a cell phone or a tablet or something do everything that can for free, but of course you can't use those to take tests?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Isn't this mostly because of standardized testing? Can't a cell phone or a tablet or something do everything that can for free, but of course you can't use those to take tests?

I know some classes here at Georgia Southwestern University have tests that require a TI calc, but the teachers will personally clear all the memory on each calc that anyone brings in and if the student doesn't permit the teacher to do so they can't take the test.

Though I'm sure that has to do more with the teachers standards and not any standard set by any organization.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ElwoodCuse posted:

Probably, but then again old technology is only ever going to hold value if it's still useful in some capacity (or a museum piece). Old calculators still fill the same role that they used to despite being ancient technology, just like an XBox360. That hardware is incredibly dated, but it's still worth something because there's not really any newer competition in the console market (WiiU just came out, but it's arguable whether they're actually trying to compete for the same turf as XBox360 or PS3). There's nothing inherently good or advanced about the system that justifies it holding its value, but if you're looking at consoles you have the options of old or none.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

The original launch Xbox 360s:
-No HDMI
-no built in flash memory storage
-prone to breaking easily

This three depends on what model of Xbox you have and how old it is. Arcade models all had built-in flash memory, but those with hard drives did not. I have a first-edition Pro model and it has HDMI, but it was purchased in late 2008 so it doesn't have the longevity issue.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

This three depends on what model of Xbox you have and how old it is. Arcade models all had built-in flash memory, but those with hard drives did not. I have a first-edition Pro model and it has HDMI, but it was purchased in late 2008 so it doesn't have the longevity issue.

At launch there was only Core and Premium/Pro. Neither had HDMI, neither had flash storage, the Core model didn't even ship with a memory card!

The Pros didn't get HDMI until 2007's revision, having originally launched in 2005. The Cores were discontinued when the Arcade versions came out, and Arcade versions variously had a 256 MB memory card, 256 MB onboard flash or 512 MB onboard flash at various times. These, again, weren't out until 2007.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

At launch there was only Core and Premium/Pro. Neither had HDMI, neither had flash storage, the Core model didn't even ship with a memory card!

The Pros didn't get HDMI until 2007's revision, having originally launched in 2005. The Cores were discontinued when the Arcade versions came out, and Arcade versions variously had a 256 MB memory card, 256 MB onboard flash or 512 MB onboard flash at various times. These, again, weren't out until 2007.

Well then, good to know! :tipshat:

You still didn't clarify that first-edition 360s went through many upgrades before the release of the second editions in your post, however.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

Well then, good to know! :tipshat:

You still didn't clarify that first-edition 360s went through many upgrades before the release of the second editions in your post, however.

Er, that's because the current 360s are about the 5th or 6th edition of the console hardware. The second editions have been out of manufacture for at least 2 or 3 years now!

Same deal with the PS3s, I think the current models in stores are like 6th or 7th revision and 3rd case design.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 19, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

Er, that's because the current 360s are about the 5th or 6th edition of the console hardware. The second editions have been out of manufacture for at least 2 or 3 years now!

Same deal with the PS3s, I think the current models in stores are like 6th or 7th revision and 3rd case design.

Well, by "edition" I meant case design, of which the 360 is on only its second. v:shobon:v

I couldn't think of a better word for it really.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

You're getting pretty badly Fishmeched here, Mak0rz! :)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
What fruit is this? We get a box of fruit delivered to our office every week, and it usually comes with a "cheat sheet" of what's in the box. This week it didn't, and we got something that no one recognizes. They're solid, kind of like a mango, and not terribly sweet.

Edit: You don't get a great sense of scale here. They're about 1.5" tall and 3.5" wide.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 19, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Gravity Pike posted:

What fruit is this? We get a box of fruit delivered to our office every week, and it usually comes with a "cheat sheet" of what's in the box. This week it didn't, and we got something that no one recognizes. They're solid, kind of like a mango, and not terribly sweet.

Edit: You don't get a great sense of scale here. They're about 1.5" tall and 3.5" wide.

Pomegranate?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's a persimmon.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Those are persimmons, and they're incredibly tasty. They're one of my favorite fruits. In fact, I've got a bunch sitting on my kitchen table.

You have to wait a while for them to become sweet, though. They're very tough and firm, but when they start feeling even the littlest bit of squishy (you still do have to squeeze rather hard), that's when you start eating them. A couple of days after that, they'll get REALLY sweet, almost too much to bear for some people. At that point, it's probably best left for some exotic cooking or can be made into a tea (I've never done this). I usually throw them into the blender and make wicked smoothies when that happens.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

Speaking of, what ever happened to fishmech anyway? Not that I miss him or anything, he just dropped off the face of the earth about a year or so ago and I always wondered where he went.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Can anyone find that thread in GWS about almond pie? I think it was called "High time for pie! Almond pie!" or something similar, and it was from a couple few years ago. I lost my bookmark, drat it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

axolotl farmer posted:

I looked at fishmech's SAclopedia page and I don't get the reference :ohdear:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 19, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Can anyone find that thread in GWS about almond pie? I think it was called "High time for pie! Almond pie!" or something similar, and it was from a couple few years ago. I lost my bookmark, drat it.

A DasSaas search pulled up this post with an almond pie recipe in "Save your fork, there's pie!". And there's Mocha Almond Fudge Pie (56k no), but it doesn't sound like either of those are what you're looking for.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Not sure where this would best fit but here goes.

What determines the price of getting an X-ray done. Is the large expense purely related to the initial investment, the scarcity of X-ray machines compared to people who need scans, and the time of professionals in both taking and assessing the X-ray.

Or is there some expensive consumable being used per scan done, whether it be the film required is expensive or the source of the radiation or a large electricity usage or something else.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is there a name for the bendable position-keeping metal tube support thingies on some lamps, sort of like these (but usually steel or chrome metal)?:

Does anyone know a place I might be able to buy such a thing without the lamp?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

What determines the price of getting an X-ray done. Is the large expense purely related to the initial investment, the scarcity of X-ray machines compared to people who need scans, and the time of professionals in both taking and assessing the X-ray.

Pretty much all of these. The machines don't consume some rare ingredient, but they do cost a lot to manufacture and proper operation requires someone with a lot of training. Consumers will pay more or less depending on a lot of factors, most notably what type of procedure you need (e.g. dental scans are very cheap and easy) and where you are (emergency rooms are extremely expensive). There's probably some price inflation in place with hospitals because they're planning on jockeying with insurance companies. So, in summary, it's mostly expensive because you're using the time of both a highly-trained person and an expensive machine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

randyest posted:

Is there a name for the bendable position-keeping metal tube support thingies on some lamps, sort of like these (but usually steel or chrome metal)?:

Does anyone know a place I might be able to buy such a thing without the lamp?

I've wondered about that too as I've had need for one recently. It's just called a gooseneck.
There's a lot here, but I don't think they're for consumers. Here's one you can straight-up buy, but it's for mounting a cell phone so might not be as rigid as you'd like.
http://www.theaccessoryking.com/ark...-22mm-head.html

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I've wondered about that too as I've had need for one recently. It's just called a gooseneck.
There's a lot here, but I don't think they're for consumers. Here's one you can straight-up buy, but it's for mounting a cell phone so might not be as rigid as you'd like.
http://www.theaccessoryking.com/ark...-22mm-head.html
Thanks doc. I found that site too and requested more info; we'll see what happens. I also found these, though I was hoping for longer than 24" (maybe 36-48" with "heavy" weight/rigidity capability):

http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cfm?category=Pipe&subcategory=Flexible%20(Goose%20Neck)%20Pipe

http://www.mylampparts.com/Products/24L-chrome-1932OD-threaded-each-end-18M-x-18M__SL21256.aspx

http://www.southwire.com/commercial/titan.htm

Apparently it's known as "flexible mic boom", "metal gooseneck conduit", and various mixes and matches of those terms. I seem to remember seeing something like it in Home Depot or Lowe's by the foot, but I'm not sure if it's as rigid as I want, nor how I would mount "connectors" on the ends.

randyest fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 20, 2012

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

helopticor posted:

A DasSaas search pulled up this post with an almond pie recipe in "Save your fork, there's pie!". And there's Mocha Almond Fudge Pie (56k no), but it doesn't sound like either of those are what you're looking for.

That first one was it! Thanks so much. Not the same thread, but same poster, same recipe. Woohoo!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have a small chicken bone in my throat
How do I get it out of my throat :saddowns:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Send a very small dog after it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Long-nose pliers or tweezers and a patient, steady-handed friend? That worked for me when I had a salmon bone stab and embed in my throat a decade ago, but it was not fun and probably was a bad idea even though it ended well. Forget about doing it yourself -- if you don't have a good calm friend, an easily supressible gag reflex, and some kind of long tweezer-things to grab it, then go to the doctor (you should probably go to the doctor no matter what.)

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Send a very small dog after it.
But what will he send after the dog? ;) :laugh:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

randyest posted:

But what will he send after the dog? ;) :laugh:

It looks like cow in a ghillie suit followed by donkey/unicorn bastard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Speaking of, what ever happened to fishmech anyway? Not that I miss him or anything, he just dropped off the face of the earth about a year or so ago and I always wondered where he went.

The mods trained his account to Coupons only posting and he hasn't been set free.

Some say he may still be posting, perhaps on this very page! :iiam:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 20, 2012

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The person living next to me is driving me crazy. I'm a grad student so I typically go to bed early and wake up early, but even waking up consistently in the ballpark of 6am is not sufficient to not be bothered by this person's morning routine.

I have no idea what they're doing but basically an alarm starts somewhere in the ballpark of 3-5 am (earliest I've woken up to it has been 3:30) and then literally proceeds to go off for several hours. It will go off for somewhere around 30 seconds, stop for a minute or two, then go off again repeat for 1-2 hours. It's too short to be a snooze cycle (unless they have a 1 or 2 minute snooze button which I've never heard of) and it's loud enough it's very difficult to fall asleep to if I happen to wake up for a bit for whatever reason (bathroom or just naturally waking up an hour before my alarm goes off). I can tell someone is interacting with the noise because the alarm will occasionally pause sooner than it normally does (or stop mid beep), but whatever they're doing doesn't actually shut it off because a minute later it's there again.

Should I just go over in the morning next time it happens (ie tomorrow) and ask them what the gently caress is going on, or is that unlikely to be fruitful? I don't want to be passive aggressive about it and go through the apartment agency, but I feel kind of awkward knocking on someone's door at 5:30 am when it's a problem. I'm also having a hard time picturing why they're doing this in the first place.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 20, 2012

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

I would go over in person while the thing is going off and have a chat with them. Then once the office opens call them up and let them know what happened. Best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I've been the rear end in a top hat who keeps on hitting snooze (I didn't know my alarm was loud enough to wake the neighbors :ohdear:), and it didn't particularly bother me to hear it from my landlord instead of my neighbor. Especially if you've never really interacted with him before, I wouldn't call going through the landlord passive-aggressive. On the other hand, you might get more immediate results by banging on your neighbor's door tomorrow morning.