Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Woodchuck
Mar 20, 2005

He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.

I love these kind of shots because you almost never get to see these cars at "scale" next to normal everyday cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

ĂÂ¢Ă‘Â€Ă¸ Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸,
трø Ă¿Ă¾ трø Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸

Ninja Woodchuck posted:

I love these kind of shots because you almost never get to see these cars at "scale" next to normal everyday cars.

They Veyron always seems like its a huge car, but its no bigger than an Audi TT. When you see it up close in person your like, drat.

_____!
May 2, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yay new thread!

What model BMW is this? I'd just prefer to have a name to go with what I've been whacking it to for the past 10 minutes.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

_____! posted:

What model BMW is this? I'd just prefer to have a name to go with what I've been whacking it to for the past 10 minutes.

http://www.bmwnews.it/bmw-bertone-spicup-concept-venduta-allincanto/

http://www.bmwnews.it/wp-content/gallery/spicup/02bertone-spicup-1317735827.jpg

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Preoptopus posted:

They Veyron always seems like its a huge car, but its no bigger than an Audi TT. When you see it up close in person your like, drat.

Well the TT is pretty small, the Veyron is about the same size as a last gen 3 series.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

ĂÂ¢Ă‘Â€Ă¸ Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸,
трø Ă¿Ă¾ трø Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the TT is pretty small, the Veyron is about the same size as a last gen 3 series.

I'll accept that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know why, but semi-hidden 5 3/4" round sealed beams are just hot as gently caress.

Iso Grifo

Alfa Montreal

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Supercar say :what:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I saw it's friend on eBay last night.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-Benz-190-SL-Cabriolet-/300817766198#ht_500wt_1415

Starting bid amount of only $135000

e: apostrophe? I don't know. The pictures in that listing have a few resto shots. Huge PITA for me to lift them, and I'm not sure of the implications. At least the extra views will make the owner / restorer feel better.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 19, 2012

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

General_Failure posted:

I saw it's friend on eBay last night.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-Benz-190-SL-Cabriolet-/300817766198#ht_500wt_1415

Starting bid amount of only $135000

e: apostrophe? I don't know. The pictures in that listing have a few resto shots. Huge PITA for me to lift them, and I'm not sure of the implications. At least the extra views will make the owner / restorer feel better.

I'll never get the thinking behind 'I wanna sell this car on eBay. Let me post just a dozen small pics.'

You're asking $135K! You better have dozens and dozens of pics. Closeups of everything. Underside, under the hood, gauges, everything. When I sold my D90 on eBay I had about 50 pics and a video and still didn't think it was enough. I did get my asking price though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I can see why you'd think that. Most of the trophy style trucks have midengine setups to balance weight. You wouldn't want to jump over 300 feet and be nose heavy.

How'd he get under the lights? :psyduck:

The buggies/truggies do, the high dollar top tier trucks use a front engine rwd layout with a solid rear axle. The engine is set back slightly. This is a class restriction not a performance design decision.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Uhh, that's a real car. The headlights remind me of the Alfa Montreal.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2256.html

Holy poo poo, that interior is ridiculous. The rest of the car is pretty bad, too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Holy poo poo, that interior is ridiculous. The rest of the car is pretty bad, too.

Nothing styled by Bertone has ever been bad. NOTHING.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jonathan posted:

The buggies/truggies do, the high dollar top tier trucks use a front engine rwd layout with a solid rear axle. The engine is set back slightly. This is a class restriction not a performance design decision.

Really? I had thought that the trophies had swapped to MR by now. loving Tom Nelson, his videos led me astray!

To be fair I've really lost touch with off road racing since the Mickey Thompson stuff ended.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VikingSkull posted:

Really? I had thought that the trophies had swapped to MR by now. loving Tom Nelson, his videos led me astray!

To be fair I've really lost touch with off road racing since the Mickey Thompson stuff ended.

Well, it depends on the class and style of racing. Old Ivan Stewart Toyota from the 80's was a truggy, it had 4 wheel independent suspension and front engine for the Baja 1000. But then there is a lot of stuff like the Mint 400 Vegas race where Stewart's son's shop Stewart Raceworks competes with a solid axle rear truck.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hopefully Robby Gordon's series is a hit because living in New York I don't get much Baja type coverage.

e- just to contribute

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Linedance posted:

Mantide.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Hopefully Robby Gordon's series is a hit because living in New York I don't get much Baja type coverage.

e- just to contribute

'80s/'90s TRD is one of the best color schemes, and I love that Toyota is bringing it back.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

'80s/'90s TRD is one of the best color schemes, and I love that Toyota is bringing it back.

:ssh: that's going to be my MR2's livery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sockington posted:

Anyone who is still annoyed that you canned the 323 can officially shut the hell up as of now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sockington posted:

I forgive you.

Edit: it's this vvvvv

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 20, 2012

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone who is still annoyed that you canned the 323 can officially shut the hell up as of now.

Think about it a second - what colors are various stages of rust? He's not putting ANY effort into the build, whatsoever. :colbert:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Viggen posted:

Think about it a second - what colors are various stages of rust? He's not putting ANY effort into the build, whatsoever. :colbert:

hahahaha. I beg to differ; those jorts were mighty effective at drawing attention to his build.

Light Fields
May 8, 2008

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Doesn't someone post here whose job is to take cars apart like this for promo photos? I could be thinking of another forum.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Time for a little photo dump now I'm getting a load of bits uploaded onto Flickr. Feel free to go and check out the rest if you're interested.

Bowler Nemesis by medullanocte, on Flickr

DSCF0920_fhdr by medullanocte, on Flickr

Subaru Impreza WRX STI by medullanocte, on Flickr

Ford RS200 by medullanocte, on Flickr

Porsche Cayenne by medullanocte, on Flickr

Gymkhana Grid @ Santa Pod by medullanocte, on Flickr

DSCF3563 by medullanocte, on Flickr

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Memento1979 posted:

Doesn't someone post here whose job is to take cars apart like this for promo photos? I could be thinking of another forum.

What's going on inside those cylinder bores? I see the liners up next to the pistons, are the bores in the block coated?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sockington posted:

And when it is complete it shall be posted in this thread!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94KR97acTQ

Here is a 5 part video doc on some great fabrication that went into the Stewart Raceworks Ford Raptor luxury pre-runner.

FYI A Pre-Runner is a vehicle used by desert race teams to drive the course a few weeks early in order to take Navigation/gps notes and log fuel usage and logistics.

Generally it's going to be like 60% of a full on trophy truck, with creature comforts such as windshields, airtight cabs, airconditioning etc.

Stewart Raceworks is owned by Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's son Craig, and this project is probably the nicest pre-runner in the world.

These trucks usually are configured as front engine, rear wheel drive, 37 - 40" tires, solid rear axle, independent front, usually with 24" of suspension travel in the front, and maybe 34" in the rear.

It's refreshing to watch a project build at a shop take place without all the boring drama on these light weight Discovery Channel shows.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

poo poo, now I'm going to have to look up the prices of Avantimes on Autotrader. (False edit - under£3k? Hmmm.)

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ I think that was done by the work experience lad on a fag break.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Here is a 5 part video doc on some great fabrication that went into the Stewart Raceworks Ford Raptor luxury pre-runner.

I just watched that whole thing and it was awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A barn fell on this Mazda RX2, so they pulled it out, threw a 13B in it and ran at LeMons.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-goodbad-idea-of-the-week-mazda-rx-2-exhumed-from-collapsed-barn-stuffed-with-13b/

Imagine rolling up to VW hipster meets. "Patina? A barn fell on my car. :smug:"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Imagine rolling up to VW hipster meets. "Patina? A barn fell on my car. :smug:"
I had a barn burn down and then fall on a car. Quite literally before it was cool, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The littlest monster truck :3:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

The littlest monster truck :3:

I'm pretty sure that it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not.

Even when upscaling they still chose the most retarded, hard-to-find narrow section tyres they could find. Oh smart :allears: