Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Cowcaster posted:

I just made the mistake of checking my manifest which puts my time played in big bold numbers at the top of the page.

50 hours. That's two full days of my life gone :stare:

401 hours and I didn't play between Earth and Retaliation.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Golgozor posted:

401 hours and I didn't play between Earth and Retaliation.

437 hrs/ 1489 games- Although the moment the new manifest came out and showed us all these depressing stats, I've made a conscious decision to cut back.

But it keeps drawing me back in...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Because you can charge into almost an entire Gold spawn and win. Continuous Charging and Light Melee is very difficult for enemies to counter unless they focus-fire you and hard-stagger you at the same time, and tanking lots of enemies gives the rest of your squad easy access to flank and kill them, while still doing decent DPS yourself.

If the Slayer isn't the focus of the enemy's attention then he can run around rapidly killing one trash mob and stunlocking two others with Phase Disruptor. None of this requires a gun in order to be effective.

I suppose the gun situation isn't as clear-cut as I made it out to be, though.

Cheers, I had no idea the Slayer could do this; just solo'd silver with him and yeah he is really tough to take down, but by no means invincible, and I don't think he's even the best at charging and tanking.

I can pretty much play the exact same way as the Krogaurd, and he does even more damage while being harder to kill. :black101:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Heck, even regular Novaguards are absolutely incredible and in theory pretty much invincible -- provided Charge works as intended all the time. Which it really doesn't. They'd be an awesome class but between lag issues and Charge simply refusing to work, Vanguards in general are just way too inconsistent for my taste.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah it's really loving embarrassing when Charge doesn't work; you'll be in the open surrounded by enemies, secure in the knowledge that Charge will save you, but nope! You hammer away at the button and go down like a sack of potatoes instead. :sweatdrop:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
This is absolutely one of the worst experiences in the game, yes.
You're standing out in the open with just a couple of pixels left in your health bar, all smug because you know you'll be at full shields anyway a moment later and when you finally want to charge that trooper standing right there in the open, with a clear line of sight between you and him, repeatedly smashing the Charge button and that goddamn annoying loving DING DING DING DING refuse-to-work sound the game just punches you in the dick going NOPE.

And then you're dead.

And it's a real shame because Vanguards are pretty drat incredible otherwise.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You gotta host if you wanna play vanguard

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
While that improves it a great deal, that still doesn't fix Charge simply refusing to work in some situations, even though it should (clearly targeting an enemy, including the red reticle showing up around them, same elevation level, clear LOS). It works out alright on Silver more often than not, but it's way too inconsistent for me for anything above that.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Wampus42 posted:

437 hrs/ 1489 games- Although the moment the new manifest came out and showed us all these depressing stats, I've made a conscious decision to cut back.

But it keeps drawing me back in...

Oh, are we doing this again? 453 hours, 1510 games, 4670 challenge points, and no job. It can draw me back all the gently caress it wants as long as it's fun. :)

EDIT: I've been telling people that for a couple months now but noone believes me. :qq:
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 19, 2012

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Sometimes I've noticed charge won't go off until I shoot my weapon, or try to shoot my weapon. So when I'm playing vanguards I've made a habit of trying to shoot whenever I am spamming charge.

Not a complete fix, but it seems to make charge kick in sometimes when it is being stubborn.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sidestepping also seems to fix it in some situations. When I hear ding-ding-ding, starting to move sideways sets off charge about 80% of the time. The other 20% I die. The charge targeting is why I find it really hard to go back to the human vanguard after unlocking the Kroguard and Batguard - having DR stacked to the point of invincibility during heavy melee means that even if you do take damage between charges, you are rarely even at the shield gate before charge comes up again. Kroguard is still my go-to solo class if I'm feeling anti-social or have a string of bad luck with pubbies.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Do a teleport dodge if Charge glitches out. Or if things are really desperate throw down an Ops Survival Pacdjsfahahahahahahaha

nacon
May 7, 2005

Elotana posted:

Lots of classes can do that :ssh:

Being aggressive and charging spawns is actually the most efficient way to play Gold. [AoE/stagger power], [Detonator power], [Gunfire], spawn now dead except for boss enemies which you can start kiting counter-clockwise to keep your right-hand advantage.

Bioware should just start trolling the ME3 multiplayer by adding occasionally left-handed bosses to the spawns.

I don't know if I would be butthurt or dying of laughter.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
At what point did the engineering classes become the best class, I can reliably score a good 20K more points than I normally average when I use an engineer?

Is it the drones and turrets?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dazoner posted:

At what point did the engineering classes become the best class, I can reliably score a good 20K more points than I normally average when I use an engineer?

Is it the drones and turrets?
Probably the change to fire and cryo explosions.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
They recently changed cryo and fire explosions to go off even if the enemy isn't killed by the power. So basically using two different tech powers on the same target will always set off some kind of tech explosion (tech burst, cryo explosion or fire explosion).
Add cryo / disruptor / incendiary ammo for bonus hilarity.

E: Beaten :argh:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
So I just some in game testing with a stop watch and I can confirm that the weight penalties from the new mods are broken and are not actually applied to any of the non-DLC guns. If you use ultralight materials on your smg or pistol it will fix this and cause the penalty to be applied.

Also if you use a heavy barrel and ULM on an acolyte it won't apply the penalty from HB and ULM will reduce it's non-HB weight normally. So a you can add a HB & ULM Acolyte X to any class for only 10% weight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

By non-DLC guns, do you mean any gun released before Retaliation?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Karma for the ULM bullshit. Hopefully it takes them six months to fix this bug too (watch it be in the very next balance changes)

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Still have no regrets save for the fact I've dumped over 20 million in credits on PSP's and still don't have a single UR maxed out.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
gently caress I knew it. I'm sure I noticed that heavy barrel weight bug as well but I just wrote it off at the time. Silly of me really, this is Bioware we're talking about.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

So I just some in game testing with a stop watch and I can confirm that the weight penalties from the new mods are broken and are not actually applied to any of the non-DLC guns. If you use ultralight materials on your smg or pistol it will fix this and cause the penalty to be applied.

Also if you use a heavy barrel and ULM on an acolyte it won't apply the penalty from HB and ULM will reduce it's non-HB weight normally. So a you can add a HB & ULM Acolyte X to any class for only 10% weight.

:lol:

Bioware never change. I can't imagine what a jumbled mess the coding in this game must look like for these problems to still be popping up. Time to equip a better shotgun on my kroguard.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Elotana posted:

Karma for the ULM bullshit. Hopefully it takes them six months to fix this bug too (watch it be in the very next balance changes)

I think I remember reading something about a fix like that requiring a proper patch, which might take quite a while to release (if it happens at all) because *~consoles~*.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Finally! Geth Mastery.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

exquisite tea posted:

No, it's any gun that's on the original disc, even if it was locked at the time. Interestingly enough, this means the commendation pack guns, including the Valkyrie, as well as things like the Indra that were retailer-specific release promos.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Can't wait to run my Wraith X with super-barrel and omni-blade

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

1st AD posted:

You gotta host if you wanna play vanguard
I had Charge actually do that fake-out failure three times in a row while I was hosting recently.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Paracelsus posted:

No, it's any gun that's on the original disc, even if it was locked at the time. Interestingly enough, this means the commendation pack guns, including the Valkyrie, as well as things like the Indra that were retailer-specific release promos.

Paracelus is correct I specifically tested the Kishock from the first DLC and it applies the penalties correctly.

It probably has to do with some change in how they code things that happened between the release and the first DLC. I'm basing this on the fact that ULM used to only work on the Geth SMG which is a DLC gun.

A Raptor is a pretty sweet caster weapon with HB and Thermal Scope. Also weight-free omniblade for Kroguards.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Hoping this weeks challenge is some kind of Black Friday challenge.

"Spend a million credits in the store", or something along those lines.

Also, don't expect balance changes tomorrow. There's probably going to be a Thanksgiving challenge. Cook a million geth bombers, gobble gobble.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I know it gets said a lot but gently caress Collectors. Geth are supposed to be the stagger bastards but I have never had an enemy stagger me after getting rez'd until dying again more than the loving Collectors. It happened to many goddamn times in one gold wave today and I finally just gave up because gently caress it. Also, I love the Paladin it's my favorite class but goddamn is it annoying to play with people who either won't or can't set off combos. I mean when everything is frozen and I have to run because a Scions decided it wants me dead the least you could do is explode everything instead of plinking away at one guy with your gun. I'm not the best or even a very good gold player yet but I've met way worse people already and I just now started getting into gold games.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I hope for thanksgiving they replace the hack/delivery items with turkeys like they did with the halloween pumpkins.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

ChaosReaper posted:

I know it gets said a lot but gently caress Collectors. Geth are supposed to be the stagger bastards but I have never had an enemy stagger me after getting rez'd until dying again more than the loving Collectors. It happened to many goddamn times in one gold wave today and I finally just gave up because gently caress it. Also, I love the Paladin it's my favorite class but goddamn is it annoying to play with people who either won't or can't set off combos. I mean when everything is frozen and I have to run because a Scions decided it wants me dead the least you could do is explode everything instead of plinking away at one guy with your gun. I'm not the best or even a very good gold player yet but I've met way worse people already and I just now started getting into gold games.
I think there are just a lot of people out there playing it as a straight-up shooter and hardly ever touching their abilities. I'm out there casting overload or incinerate or something every 3 seconds or so and if everyone else was it would be impossible to NOT blow poo poo up space-wizard style.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Thats the sad thing. The other day I was playing with a geth uh engineer maybe. We were just exploding the hell out of Cerberus dudes. I would freeze them and he would do I'm assuming overload to just chain cryo explosion the poo poo out of everything. We drat near duo'd 9 waves of a gold match before we got cornered.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Elotana posted:

Can't wait to run my Wraith X with super-barrel and omni-blade
This was really my first thought too. Well, except my Wraith is only III and I don't have the shotgun super barrel, but you know Omni-blade. My Batarian soldier's gonna punch poo poo even harder and also instead of that piddly pig-sticker have a big fuckoff red glowing badass blade on his gun. :black101:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I finally started using that Talon VI that I've had lying around forever on my Debuff-spec Valkyrie.

drat.

Black Widow V is the next one down but that one gets plenty of use.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Tremors posted:

I hope for thanksgiving they replace the hack/delivery items with turkeys like they did with the halloween pumpkins.

IIRC when the game got datamined right after release they found other seasonal objects in the game files so turkeys and Christmas trees are probably going to make an appearance. I hope the banner has aliens in those silly pilgrim buckle hats. :3:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Tremors posted:

Yeah Thanksgiving was over a month ago :colbert: :canada:

Mr Dog posted:

I finally started using that Talon VI that I've had lying around forever on my Debuff-spec Valkyrie.

drat.

Put a scope on it and run it on an engie with cryo or incendiary ammo. It'll prime poo poo real good. Barrage gear will help alot with the kick.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lagomorphic posted:

Put a scope on it and run it on an engie with cryo or incendiary ammo. It'll prime poo poo real good. Barrage gear will help alot with the kick.

Lago, you want to play a few games at some point?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Lagomorphic posted:

Maybe in your godless heathen country! :colbert: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well excuse me I have to go stick the Thermal Scope and HV Barrel on my Black Widow and laugh constantly.

• Locked thread