Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

miscellaneous14 posted:

This was posted in the Awful Game Mods thread, but it definitely belongs here. It's basically what happens when you smack a bunch of bizarre Fallout: New Vegas mods together and see the Gamebryo engine implode on itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAx_2Fo1qyQ

Oh my God I'm dying here hahaha. I couldn't believe when he apparently blasted the other guy through the god damned roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if I'm playing AC3 wrong or just not for long enough; it hasn't been very glitchy for me at all. The parkour is slightly less smooth than the previous titles, and once the camera got stuck looking at the ground after petting a cat (and corrected itself a few seconds later), but from reading these threads I should be expecting The Elder Scrolls: New England.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gooby on rails posted:

I'm not sure if I'm playing AC3 wrong or just not for long enough; it hasn't been very glitchy for me at all. The parkour is slightly less smooth than the previous titles, and once the camera got stuck looking at the ground after petting a cat (and corrected itself a few seconds later), but from reading these threads I should be expecting The Elder Scrolls: New England.
I'm with you on this one, I'm not sure how people are running into these insane glitches when I've clocked well over 30 hours and have barely ran into any aside from a few hiccups which were easily fixed either by doing something simple or by the game itself moments later.

Speaking of Skyrim, I'm surprised there are so few Skyrim glitch videos here considering the game is pretty much the most glitchy and broken thing I've ever encountered.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

gooby on rails posted:

It got worse as it went along. Not like it has become less stable, but like the specific quest and side quest activities have revealed more and more bugs.

For instance, one of the recruit side quests in New York has you carry people through the city. Normally when you walk through a clothes line you duck under and push past the hanging blankets. They didn't script, animate or account for when you are carrying a body, so you, a skilled and agile assassin, are blocked by some gently billowing tea towels.

Some of the other bugs occur with texture and sprite pop in or npc spawning. If you go to an enemy fort you can see enemy soldiers pop in as you cross into the red "tresspassing area". They disappear when you cross back out, regardless of whether or not they spotted you, but their bodies sometimes stay. I had a pile of bodies from pushing the same sniper off a cliff 10 times.

I really just think it wasn't play tested enough, which is common for games of grand scope with a dozen different game mechanics and tight release schedules.

The Aphasian has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Nov 14, 2012

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I started a now-defective blog dedicated to all the visual errors I could screenshot in Skyrim. I don't have any of the pictures with me, unfortunately =/ my two favorites were, when on the quest to open the vault in the Thieves Guild, the vault was already open. So there everyone was, just chatting dramatically about the vault not being broken into, while it stood open behind them.

The other was when all the leaves on the trees in an orchard-y area turned into giant, purple geometric shapes.

P.S.: I know next to nothing about how video games are made, so I don't even want to try and explain those kinds of "errors" anymore beyond "visual glitches." If they are called something else, I would actually like to know.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The door being open, or any game mechanic not behaving as it should, like NPCs showing up after you killed them, or multiple copies of an NPC showing up, or Lydia, are generally scripting errors, not graphical glitches.

Graphical bugs take the form of textures rendering incorrectly, things that crash you to desktop if you look at them, lighting behaving strangely, and so on. Basically anything that is purely visual, like a texture, reflection, lighting, or model not displaying correctly is a graphical error.

Bodies flopping around, giants launching you into low orbit, and cheeses shooting across the room when you bump them ever so gently are just hilarious idiosyncrasies of the physics engine that are, for the most part, deliberately left in because they're either hilarious and completely harmless, or changing them would change the way the rest of the physics engine behaves. The Havok engine handles physics (dead bodies) for a lot of games, and you might have noticed that in games like Dead Space, Dishonored, Skyrim, the Assassin's Creed series, sometimes bodies will spaz out and thrash all over the place if they get stuck in an unusual position.

That's Havok. It'll do that. It otherwise works really well and I doubt the developers are going to completely overhaul it to fix a few floppy bodies and rocket-propelled cheese wheels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As for why the thrashing happens, it's usually when the object is subject to two mutually exclusive constraints. The body is not allowed to penetrate the wall but it's also not allowed to have its limbs bend further than a certain angle and it can't break into pieces or cave in like a real object can, so Havok has no good way to resolve the situation. It'll try for the least wrong solution it can find, but doing so in one frame just changes the situation slightly and next frame it'll have a slightly different guess at what's least wrong.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The door being open, or any game mechanic not behaving as it should, like NPCs showing up after you killed them, or multiple copies of an NPC showing up, or Lydia, are generally scripting errors, not graphical glitches.

Graphical bugs take the form of textures rendering incorrectly, things that crash you to desktop if you look at them, lighting behaving strangely, and so on. Basically anything that is purely visual, like a texture, reflection, lighting, or model not displaying correctly is a graphical error.

Bodies flopping around, giants launching you into low orbit, and cheeses shooting across the room when you bump them ever so gently are just hilarious idiosyncrasies of the physics engine that are, for the most part, deliberately left in because they're either hilarious and completely harmless, or changing them would change the way the rest of the physics engine behaves. The Havok engine handles physics (dead bodies) for a lot of games, and you might have noticed that in games like Dead Space, Dishonored, Skyrim, the Assassin's Creed series, sometimes bodies will spaz out and thrash all over the place if they get stuck in an unusual position.

That's Havok. It'll do that. It otherwise works really well and I doubt the developers are going to completely overhaul it to fix a few floppy bodies and rocket-propelled cheese wheels.

Woo! I actually knew about the bodies thing. I know more than I thought :downs:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The Havok engine handles physics (dead bodies) for a lot of games, and you might have noticed that in games like Dead Space, Dishonored, Skyrim, the Assassin's Creed series, sometimes bodies will spaz out and thrash all over the place if they get stuck in an unusual position.

Bioshock uses the Havok engine, and the dancing-corpses glitch was never completely fixed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z537VOpiNw

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of Skyrim, I'm surprised there are so few Skyrim glitch videos here considering the game is pretty much the most glitchy and broken thing I've ever encountered.

It's strange, I've played 100 hours of Skyrim and encountered no glitches other than an occasional freeze.

On the other hand, Fallout: New Vegas was basically unplayable because of glitches. Dead bodies would come back to life after I reloaded a save, so saving after battling a group of Deathclaws meant that they would all rise up and start attacking me. Stimpacks would occasionally read something like "Heal -16777215 Health" and kill me instantly when used. Giant Radscorpions would split into more copies of themselves when shot, and they could fly. It reaches a point where I couldn't play the game because I was getting divebombed by dozens of giant Radscorpions, like a horrible hydra made of chitin.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Both Skyrim and New Vegas were pretty solid but then again I always install those unofficial patches that the community pops out.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

New Vegas worked just fine but I somehow managed to make King of Dragon Pass do horrible, horrible things, and apparently that game was never known for glitches.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
In AC3, there was some lady stuck in the road with only her head and shoulders sticking out. Collision detection still worked: I ran over her and she complained about it. Forgive me, road-lady.

But the best was during one of the modern day sections, when you go back to Abstergo. There's some fights in crowded areas where it's not real consistent whether the people around care. My favorite was when I was stabbing the poo poo out of some bitches and there was one very dedicated employee a few feet away at his laptop, not so much as looking up. As blood was flying everywhere, I could almost see him thinking, "Well, these expense reports aren't gonna collate themselves."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh.

Hi there.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

What's going on here? It looks really cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tardcore posted:

What's going on here? It looks really cool.

It's dark souls.
A game where ladders are one-sided.

This plucky enemy defied all the rules to become what you see there.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I love the Dark Souls physics engine :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSorXKammE

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

red plastic cup posted:

I don't think anyone's posted this yet, but here's a video of someone playing San Francisco Rush where the models implode on themselves. Worth a watch if only for the commentary. "Reality is tearing itself asunder.. and I must race."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJyCppPNEeM

I used to LOVE this game on N64! I found out all the glitches in each map where you could drive through the track and just fall forever. Also adding cheats on to make your car super light so when you hit a jump you fly off into the air and sometimes out of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTFqOqpx10

The falling through the track glitch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

red plastic cup posted:

I don't think anyone's posted this yet, but here's a video of someone playing San Francisco Rush where the models implode on themselves. Worth a watch if only for the commentary. "Reality is tearing itself asunder.. and I must race."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJyCppPNEeM

This happens when you use the wrong emulator settings on the wrong game. Don't ask me how I found this out.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I love the source engine.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
Sleeping Dogs is an awesome game, but lately I've been running into a lot of "interesting situations" - mostly street vendors being assholes to me. Here's a playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVzpiyKYn3Qy8uwb1_odDn3DII_Ob6tVf

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

miscellaneous14 posted:

This was posted in the Awful Game Mods thread, but it definitely belongs here. It's basically what happens when you smack a bunch of bizarre Fallout: New Vegas mods together and see the Gamebryo engine implode on itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAx_2Fo1qyQ

I don't get why the weed mod is fully voice-acted...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

I don't get why the weed mod is fully voice-acted...

Because potheads with too much time on their hands.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

gooby on rails posted:

I've never even seen a copy of the game disc, but based on this changelog, the game is loving broken.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

TheModernAmerican posted:

I've never even seen a copy of the game disc, but based on this changelog, the game is loving broken.

Yowza. I'm about 20ish hours in and I've come across some weird poo poo. I had very few problems with Skyrim, a notoriously buggy game, but I've had more issues with AC3. I've spawned on a fence post for no reason, my horse got stuck in a feed trough (among many other things), and my character turned invisible during the Boston Tea Party cinematic, so there was an invisible man throwing tea into the harbor.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

In one of the latter homestead side quests, Sequence 9, you start in your house and have to find Miriam. Well, the npc's regular script had her walking near the building at the time, so the little box with her name on it showed up right outside. I ran out and followed her, trying to interact for half an hour before I ran back to the house to figure out what the gently caress.

There was a clue you have to interact with in the house to trigger a cutscene to whatever. When I did "find" her as the game wanted, I used a different path then the expected because some dialog flags got skipped and it went from "NO, that's not who I a..." to the wedding cutscene. I have no idea what I was supposed to have done or said to change her mind. Maybe it is fixed in the patch "Mission "THE WEDDING", fixed a missing audio line".

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I did the exact same thing. I finished the game already, but now the patch update is making me want to play it all over again to see if it's any less aggravating. drat it, Ubi.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Haruharuharuko posted:

I love the source engine.

Black Mesa? This happened to me when a security guard tried to walk through an upright table. Strangest damned thing but I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

Both Skyrim and New Vegas were pretty solid but then again I always install those unofficial patches that the community pops out.

I have no idea what caused it but New Vegas would do some...unusual things on certain computers. And some of the bugs weren't replicable.

I always encountered bugs where things would get caught in the scenery. Like, I'd see a deathclaw's head and hands sticking out of the side of a cliff and he would just kind of run around, trying to get at me. I could shoot its arms but nothing else and its body would just kind of fall forever if I killed it or something. I don't really understand what was going on. A few Mr. Gutsy things got stuck too and sometimes bark scorpions would inexplicably fall half through the ground. It was adorable to watch them run impotently in place, trying to get to me to murder my face off.

I had that happen less after I upgraded to windows 7, but for whatever reason, now the NPCs will sometimes really, really gently caress up their pathing at random. They'll decided that I'm on the opposite end of the world and suddenly turn around and chase "away" from me. It isn't retreating either, I've seen things with full health do it. A few times I've seen them just kind of run around totally at random as their pathing went insane.

I tried using the cowboy repeater and it would do...odd things. The reload animation would start BEFORE I fired it, so it will look like I randomly just decided to blast a bullet randomly off into the sky. Stupidest thing is that sometimes it hits the target I was aiming at anyway.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New Vegas was so glitchy that it wasn't until I went on the internet that I realized that Victor re-spawning after you killed him was supposed to happen (he's an AI that can re-download itself into a new body) and not the game loving up a value somewhere.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

And yet reviewers slammed Alpha Protocol for being glitchy despite it being about as glitchy as any of these games on release. :smith:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
To be fair, AP on PC without any of the community fixes is a pretty miserable experience.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

miscellaneous14 posted:

To be fair, AP on PC without any of the community fixes is a pretty miserable experience.

You got a link for any fixes you'd suggest? I grabbed it a while back but never really got into it and I'd like to not slog through another well written lovely Obsidian game.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tracula posted:

You got a link for any fixes you'd suggest? I grabbed it a while back but never really got into it and I'd like to not slog through another well written lovely Obsidian game.

I have no idea what any of the glitches are. The only fix I'd suggest is "play it with a controller" because the KB+M controls are abominable and make it completely unplayable.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Had one happen just last night playing SW:TOR.

For those that are unaware, you get a companion character to fight along side you that has some pretty basic path following programmed. For some reason, they don't really "get" elevators and will usually wait at one end, and then instantly teleport to meet you at the other. No big deal.

However, last night, I made it to the bottom of a long elevator and immediately entered combat. I managed to kill off the enemies before my companion made it down (the don't teleport during combat).

So, I'm looting and waiting for my companion, who up until now has had just fine path finding, and watch as he comes off the elevator, runs to me, runs into some environmental object, and then falls over dead. It's not like he ran into some poisonous space cactus either. It was a space fork lift IIRC. Still pretty entertaining.

T. W. Forsthye
Aug 27, 2009
Rainbow Six: Vegas on 360 was hilarious and aggravating for me.

Somebody at the game store recommended it for the co-op, so I bought it for $3 and took it to a friend's and started it up, and the first thing we did was sit in a helicopter for 3 minutes as we flew towards some desert/middle eastern city, with nothing to do but admire the view. We were trapped and there was nothing cinematic about the experience, no music or dialogue and no explanation. It was very strange.

Eventually the helicopter stopped and our characters rappelled out onto a street where we encountered a few dudes, and since it was a console game I was expecting it to hold your hand like other xbox games, but there were no objectives or tutorials at all. So we just ran through the level shooting idiot bad guys in the face and laughing at the lovely AI, the usual stuff, and then we find these 2 NPCs standing silently. I think one was wearing a lab coat and the other was supposed to be a woman. They said nothing but they would follow us when we hit a certain button. They followed us for a while until one of them got shot by an enemy, whereupon the camera spun out away from our guys and got stuck wiggling in front of something. At this point we rebooted and started over but it was the exact same thing the second time. We then decided to put the controllers down and walk away.

If it was supposed to come out that way, then somebody hosed up. I still don't know what the gently caress was wrong with that game.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

T. W. Forsthye posted:

Rainbow Six: Vegas on 360 was hilarious and aggravating for me.

Somebody at the game store recommended it for the co-op, so I bought it for $3 and took it to a friend's and started it up, and the first thing we did was sit in a helicopter for 3 minutes as we flew towards some desert/middle eastern city, with nothing to do but admire the view. We were trapped and there was nothing cinematic about the experience, no music or dialogue and no explanation. It was very strange.

I played R6V for years. The co-op was so sparsely made in the first game - they stripped out like all the dialogue and scripted events and just gave you a text box for a briefing and a pat on the back. That whole helicopter ride for example, is you talking to your support team and squad mates in the single player campaign. They cut all that out so it's up to 4 players staring awkwardly at each other. Also you're actually in Mexico at the beginning.

But this:

quote:

then we find these 2 NPCs standing silently. I think one was wearing a lab coat and the other was supposed to be a woman. They said nothing but they would follow us when we hit a certain button. They followed us for a while until one of them got shot by an enemy, whereupon the camera spun out away from our guys and got stuck wiggling in front of something. At this point we rebooted and started over but it was the exact same thing the second time. We then decided to put the controllers down and walk away.

I seriously don't remember that happening at all. Unless you're talking way later in the game, I think there was some hostage escorts there.

Vegas 2 had full co-op support with the actual, like, you know, game part of it instead of the bare bones that Vegas 1 had if you're interested in that at all. V1 was mostly just good for terrorist hunts.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!
I don't know if this counts as a glitch, but I have never experienced being killed in a scripted scene before, so I think it fits the category,

I played the first Kane & Lynch game coop with a buddy a couple of years back.
At one part of the game you have to save one of the main character's kidnapped daughter in a big shootout. It's a pretty hard fight, certainly one of the toughest in the game.
After lots of failures we finally have every bad dude dead on the ground, and the daughter is happy and free.
She then enters a car and drives off.

The problem is that the (in engine, characters still moving) scene is scripted so that she first backs up the car a couple of metres before heading off, regardless of where the characters are standing. (Here is a video of that exact part with her driving off)
As fate would have it, my friend was standing straight behind the car, me in front of it. So end result is her first backing up the car straight into my friend, killing him on impact, then driving full speed into my character, instantly offing him as well.
Hope you really enjoyed the frustrating fight you just won, because gently caress you, game over!

edit: wording and video.

torjus has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Nov 20, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I just read this entire thread in one sitting, clicking most of the links. I now have a headache from hysterical giggles.

Dauntasa posted:

BUG: Medics using vacuum cleaners as surgical tools when dealing with prisoners who have boils.

Also, I had to explain this to my boyfriend. I think he thinks I'm insane from how hard I was laughing while I tried to get the story out coherently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
In Super Monday Night Combat, there was a crazy bug for a while where (IIRC) if you went into the inventory of a character, then to the main menu, and went back to the customize screen, the default selected character would suddenly have the skeleton of the last one visible.

Someone in the thread for the game got a massive gallery of this happening to multiple characters, I wish I could find it because it really hosed with some of the other ones.