Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FrenchToasty posted:

Yes, after an hour the Retina and Air models enter standby mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392

There are some terminal tricks to delay how long it takes to enter standby if it's bothering you.

Earlier in the thread I moved my delay up to a little short of 5 hours and I love it. I lose a couple more percent each day I use the computer but don't have to deal with the 15 second wait a couple times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
^^^ Yeah I honestly just disabled mine. The chance of me leaving it unplugged long enough to really matter (i.e., days) is pretty low, and it is so absolutely worth the drastic increase in instant responsiveness.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So what's the command to disable it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

awesome-express posted:

So what's the command to disable it?

I think it's pmset -a hibernatemode 0; you'll need elevated privileges (e.g. sudo).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

step aside posted:

Okay cool. When I tried the Thunderbolt Display with my 2011 MacBook Air it had some jankiness at times but I guess the HD4000 must be good enough.

Mid-2011 MacBook Airs only had Intel HD 3000 graphic accelerators.

Some months after the Retina MBP 15 came out I got to noodle around with one and I was impressed with how the HD 4000 managed to keep up with the GT650M. The HD 4000 is a decent GPU, not blow-the-doors-off fast, but it destroys what Intel used to offer Macs before, the much-maligned GMA 950. It's also at least 50% faster than the HD 3000.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bought a new 15" Macbook Pro and it's pretty sweet. Huge huge improvement over my 2008 15" MBP, that's for sure.

However, I have two frustrating problems.

1) There's this weird clicking noise that happens every now and then from the area a bit to the right of the trackpad. The ding varies in tone. Sometimes it's metallic and nearly a "ding". Other times it's more of a plasticy "pop". I don't feel anything lose and nothing rattles when I shake. I also can't make it happen at will. But as I use the machine, it pops up from time to time.

I read something that said it may be related to the sudden motion sensor. I disabled SMS but it still happens.

2) Airplay mirroring to my AppleTV loving blows. It stutters and jumps a lot. Audio is better than video but they both do it. Apple TV is wired, MBP is not. I get NO stuttering from my iPhone or the wife's iPad.

Does anyone here know anything about either of these issues?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

1) The only thing at that particular location you speak of is the hard drive. If it's making noticeable sounds too often, it might be defective.

2) What router are you using? An Airport Extreme or some other brand?

Edit: Didja try disabling Bluetooth?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 18, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ConfusedUs posted:

Bought a new 15" Macbook Pro and it's pretty sweet. Huge huge improvement over my 2008 15" MBP, that's for sure.

However, I have two frustrating problems.

1) There's this weird clicking noise that happens every now and then from the area a bit to the right of the trackpad. The ding varies in tone. Sometimes it's metallic and nearly a "ding". Other times it's more of a plasticy "pop". I don't feel anything lose and nothing rattles when I shake. I also can't make it happen at will. But as I use the machine, it pops up from time to time.

I read something that said it may be related to the sudden motion sensor. I disabled SMS but it still happens

My 2011 15" MBP had that exact noise around the trackpad area. i couldn't replicate it either, it just happened sometimes. I returned the laptop for other reasons and got a MBA but I never figured it out. I had opened mine up to install an SSD and I figured something got loose when I did that.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

There's this weird clicking noise that happens every now and then from the area a bit to the right of the trackpad. The ding varies in tone. Sometimes it's metallic and nearly a "ding". Other times it's more of a plasticy "pop". I don't feel anything lose and nothing rattles when I shake. I also can't make it happen at will. But as I use the machine, it pops up from time to time.

My 13" 2012 MBA did this out of the box, too, except I think I only heard the type of noise you described as metallic here. It happened at random but primarily within the bottom quarter (or maybe even half?) of the trackpad.

It had an issue with the rubber feet as well (with the screen folded open about 100° or more, the machine would not rest properly balanced on a flat surface) so I took the machine to an AASP to get it fixed. They replaced the trackpad assembly and double-checked that everything around that area was seated and tightened properly, and that seems to have resolved the clicking issue.

So take it back to the Apple Store or an AASP I guess. The noise definitely shouldn't be there. In my case the sound was so faint it was hard to demonstrate because of all the background noise. If this happens, just explain that you can't repeat the issue at will but it will consistently reappear within about 5 minutes (or whatever applies in your case) of normal use and ask your Genius/tech to test the machine in a quiet environment.

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt
So I'm considering buying a new 27 inch iMac. How fast is it really? Can I also use it for gaming?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Danger Man posted:

So I'm considering buying a new 27 inch iMac. How fast is it really? Can I also use it for gaming?

I used to use a 2010 i3 iMac for gaming, and that was fine. Couldn't run most things natively, of course, and you had to turn the settings down a little bit on certain titles, but it was fine. That's in bootcamp, I quickly learned not to bother in OSX (and, it was quite nice to have a dedicated os for games and another for getting poo poo done if your easily distracted like I am))

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Danger Man posted:

When 2011's top tier model came out, it was the 'fastest' mac ever produced at the time by a notable margin (granted, that also had something to do with Apple neglecting to update the Mac Pro). The days of the iMac being an expensive and anemic curiosity that "just worked" instead of a powerful desktop computer are largely way in the past. I'd say that the whole lineup are great machines- and if you're willing to look at the upper tier (which you are, since you're considering the 27") and wade into the BTO options, you can get a seriously beefy computer.

For this upcoming crop, the flagship 27" is specced with either the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB of VRAM or configurable to the GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB. As far as I know, Apple is the only company currently getting the 680MX, as its existence was basically announced during the iMac unveiling. It's :siren:the most powerful mobile GPU in the world:siren:.

Of course, being mobile still puts it considerably below comparably tiered desktop GPUs (I think the rule of thumb is to compare one year's top m-GPU to the upper tier d-GPUs of the year before), and Apple will probably underclock it a bit for power consumption. That said, the 680MX promises to "comfortably run every blue chip game of 2011/2012" (so, like Skyrim) with the options at full blast.

Honestly, it'll be a while (if ever) before the iMac can compete with fastidiously upgraded, totally tricked-out custom gaming PCs on GPU performance. And you're undoubtedly paying a premium- in cost and GPU performance- for the sexy form factor and low power consumption. But yes, you can most certainly use an iMac for gaming (for comparison, I've played Portal on medium-to-high settings relatively comfortably on a 2009 21" model with the base GPU and I regularly play TF2 with the same settings on a 2011 Macbook Air).

I really don't know how the various CPU/GPU options compare for the upcoming iMacs, and I'd wait for the Barefeats and Anandtech spec/performance reviews to come out after they ship before buying one. You can expect to add about $100-200 to swap in a 3.4ghz i7 for the most expensive 3.2ghz i5 option and probably between $100-$300 to replace the GTX 675 MX with the 680. Again, I couldn't really tell you how the different available CPUs and GPUs stack up and what upgrades will/won't be worth the money. You might spend $1800 or spend $2500.

Just know that you should prepare to pack the thing full of RAM, and to never buy that as a BTO option from Apple.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For this upcoming crop, the flagship 27" is specced with either the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB of VRAM or configurable to the GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB. As far as I know, Apple is the only company currently getting the 680MX, as its existence was basically announced during the iMac unveiling. It's :siren:the most powerful mobile GPU in the world:siren:.

Of course, being mobile still puts it considerably below comparably tiered desktop GPUs (I think the rule of thumb is to compare one year's top m-GPU to the upper tier d-GPUs of the year before), and Apple will probably underclock it a bit for power consumption. That said, the 680MX promises to "comfortably run every blue chip game of 2011/2012" (so, like Skyrim) with the options at full blast.

Honestly, it'll be a while (if ever) before the iMac can compete with fastidiously upgraded, totally tricked-out custom gaming PCs on GPU performance. And you're undoubtedly paying a premium- in cost and GPU performance- for the sexy form factor and low power consumption. But yes, you can most certainly use an iMac for gaming (for comparison, I've played Portal on medium-to-high settings relatively comfortably on a 2009 21" model with the base GPU and I regularly play TF2 with the same settings on a 2011 Macbook Air).

I really don't know how the various CPU/GPU options compare for the upcoming iMacs, and I'd wait for the Barefeats and Anandtech spec/performance reviews to come out after they ship before buying one. You can expect to add about $100-200 to swap in a 3.4ghz i7 for the most expensive 3.2ghz i5 option and probably between $100-$300 to replace the GTX 675 MX with the 680. Again, I couldn't really tell you how the different available CPUs and GPUs stack up and what upgrades will/won't be worth the money. You might spend $1800 or spend $2500.

Just know that you should prepare to pack the thing full of RAM, and to never buy that as a BTO option from Apple.

This is all hilarious to me as a person with a Mid-2011 iMac that has comfortably kicked the rear end of Skyrim at 2560x1440 and Ultra-High quality for each graphical setting, and has since the day Skyrim was released.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
With the added benefit of being able to fry an egg on the back of the case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

This is all hilarious to me as a person with a Mid-2011 iMac that has comfortably kicked the rear end of Skyrim at 2560x1440 and Ultra-High quality for each graphical setting, and has since the day Skyrim was released.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

With the added benefit of being able to fry an egg on the back of the case.

^Except for this.

I never said that you couldn't run Skyrim at ultra-high on a 2011, but I think you and I have different ideas of what "comfortably" means. Everything I've heard about doing so points to stories of the machines getting disturbingly hot, the fans spinning up to Xbox 360 levels, and the framerate sometimes dropping or getting inconsistent when the computer starts throttling power to the GPU. The average positive (as in- not "Hurr, look at these mac fags spending 2 grand on a piece of poo poo that can't game right Buy a PC a REAL COMPUTER you trustfund hipster n00bs") response is almost always some variation on "It's not a question of whether you can do it, but whether the experience is worth the price if what you want is a gaming rig." There are a number of things that have historically made gaming on an iMac a somewhat iffy proposition if you don't know what to expect, and I don't really think that the 2011 models took care of them all as easily as you seem to want to make it sound.

Regardless, he specifically asked about the 2012s . Anybody looking at an iMac and asking, "How fast is it really? Can I game on it?" isn't comparing it to last year's model. They're judging based on what they know about PCs and "proper gaming machines" so going all "This spec breakdown is hilarious because my 2011 is just fine" is pretty dumb and completely misses the point.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Electric Bugaloo posted:

^Except for this.

I never said that you couldn't run Skyrim at ultra-high on a 2011, but I think you and I have different ideas of what "comfortably" means. Everything I've heard about doing so points to stories of the machines getting disturbingly hot, the fans spinning up to Xbox 360 levels, and the framerate sometimes dropping or getting inconsistent when the computer starts throttling power to the GPU. The average positive (as in- not "Hurr, look at these mac fags spending 2 grand on a piece of poo poo that can't game right Buy a PC a REAL COMPUTER you trustfund hipster n00bs") response is almost always some variation on "It's not a question of whether you can do it, but whether the experience is worth the price if what you want is a gaming rig." There are a number of things that have historically made gaming on an iMac a somewhat iffy proposition if you don't know what to expect, and I don't really think that the 2011 models took care of them all as easily as you seem to want to make it sound.

Regardless, he specifically asked about the 2012s . Anybody looking at an iMac and asking, "How fast is it really? Can I game on it?" isn't comparing it to last year's model. They're judging based on what they know about PCs and "proper gaming machines" so going all "This spec breakdown is hilarious because my 2011 is just fine" is pretty dumb and completely misses the point.

I.. hmm. Okay. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that instead of spending X amount of money for a usable computer (a Mac) and then spending Y amount of money for a gaming rig, I bought one piece of hardware that does both, again, comfortably. So that means, from my perspective, that the framerate has been fantastic, and the fans have never been loud. And this is something I notice, explicitly, as I suffer from tinnitus, and would notice if the fans were being unreasonably loud.

Yes, the hardware gets a little hot. All modern gaming hardware does that. I'm not.. frying eggs or whatever on the back of my computer. The back of my computer is facing a wall. I'm not routinely checking the back of my computer to see how hot it is. I'm sitting in front of it, enjoying a game.

I wasn't missing the point, I was making another point entirely. Sorry if that doesn't fit in with your particular worldview at the moment, but I could just as well say that you missed my point. My point is that people looking at the next round of iMac hardware for a Skyrim machine don't need to look far ahead, and don't need to pay a premium for it. The latest Mac has always been able to play Skyrim since Skyrim came out.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Skyrim isn't particularly demanding; it's a multi-platform title and the consoles are 6 years old now.

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I never did buy that MBA, but after playing around with the 13 inch retina MBP that I can't afford...Hell I can't afford NOT to have it folks! Is it actually as good as it seems? Would I regret purchasing it? Looking at the $1999 version with 256 gigs. I would buy in A state with no sales tax. I have read reviews that say its "not quite there" because it is slow driving its own screen or something. Any thoughts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

barfoid posted:

So I never did buy that MBA, but after playing around with the 13 inch retina MBP that I can't afford...Hell I can't afford NOT to have it folks! Is it actually as good as it seems? Would I regret purchasing it? Looking at the $1999 version with 256 gigs. I would buy in A state with no sales tax. I have read reviews that say its "not quite there" because it is slow driving its own screen or something. Any thoughts?

Just spend a couple hundred more and get the 15. That way you'll have a CPU that doesn't suck, and a real graphics card.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

barfoid posted:

I'm going to agree with Bob unless you really really want the additional portability of the 13, the one you want to get is the 15 rMBP-- especially if you're going to get the upgraded HDD in the 13 (base 15 has the 256gb SSD already)-- for the small amount of extra money, at that point, it's a much better performer.

I ended up building a hackintosh and I'm going to wait another year or two before getting the rMBP, unless the 2nd gen really blows my mind power wise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd be happy with a 13" MBP with a matte 1440x900 IPS display. I love the idea of Retina but it's WAY more costly than the regular one.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I'm going to just do the SMC command thing like I did on my machine after I installed the SSD to set the speeds manually.

Ended up buying a 3TB Seagate from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST3000DM001/

How'd this drive end up working out for the iMac? Newegg has it for the same price. Although if replace the 3.5" drive in my Late 2009, I'm also hoping this $1.25 Apple 922-9158 will spare me software fan control.

Lastly even though mine has a 16GB limit, here is evidence of 32GB @ 1333MHz so strong that I nabbed 2 of the same set. It seems excessive, but I hit that limit all the time with video and for less than $150 I'm sold.

edit: Amazon has that 3TB for $130

kuskus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 19, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

I'm going to agree with Bob unless you really really want the additional portability of the 13, the one you want to get is the 15 rMBP-- especially if you're going to get the upgraded HDD in the 13 (base 15 has the 256gb SSD already)-- for the small amount of extra money, at that point, it's a much better performer.

I ended up building a hackintosh and I'm going to wait another year or two before getting the rMBP, unless the 2nd gen really blows my mind power wise.

And B&H Photo has a black friday 15" rMBP pro for $2100 including Apple care, it's a much better deal than getting a 13" rMBP.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Am I damaging my MBA by almost never shutting it down? I tend to just close the lid and let it go to sleep.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

gmq posted:

Am I damaging my MBA by almost never shutting it down? I tend to just close the lid and let it go to sleep.

Nope. Never power down, no gods, no masters. An argument can be made to fully discharge and then fully charge once a month but that's more relevant to previous-gen batteries and only matters now to keep battery charge reporting a little more accurate in OSX.

These things are made to be used pretty casually.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

gmq posted:

Nope, but it might start to slow down noticeably after a while. Ideally, you want to shut it down/restart it once every few weeks just to let everything reset.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

How'd this drive end up working out for the iMac?

The girl that uses it said it was way faster than it was before, so I guess that's good.

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

etalian posted:

And B&H Photo has a black friday 15" rMBP pro for $2100 including Apple care, it's a much better deal than getting a 13" rMBP.

that is indeed an insanely sick deal that I would jump on post haste but im not seeing it on the site?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

barfoid posted:

that is indeed an insanely sick deal that I would jump on post haste but im not seeing it on the site?

Here's the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871860-REG/Apple_MC975LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

It's $2059 if you don't want apple care but can add it in for $120.

Certainly a much nicer deal IMO than the 13" rMBP since it comes with dedicated graphics, Quad coure i7 and also a 256MB SSD for the base model pricing.

And if you have slightly deeper picket Fry's has the 512MB SSD version for $2400.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 20, 2012

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nope, but it might start to slow down noticeably after a while. Ideally, you want to shut it down/restart it once every few weeks just to let everything reset.

Conversely does shutting it down every night pose a problem?

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I live in MA and B+H photo dosnt say anything about tax? I will be sitting pretty with a 15 inch retina MacBook soon after thanksgiving and will throw my old toshiba off a cliff. It will actually probably take off in flight what with all those loud rear end fans! :toshibafail:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

barfoid posted:

I live in MA and B+H photo dosnt say anything about tax? I will be sitting pretty with a 15 inch retina MacBook soon after thanksgiving and will throw my old toshiba off a cliff. It will actually probably take off in flight what with all those loud rear end fans! :toshibafail:

They have a big rear end store in NYC, so if you don't live in NY, no tax.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kuskus posted:

Although if replace the 3.5" drive in my Late 2009, I'm also hoping this $1.25 Apple 922-9158 will spare me software fan control.

On my late 2009, I just used a jumper wire out of an arduino kit and bridged across the connectors on the temp sensor, it's never made a peep. I can't imagine that the SSD gets hot enough for anything to care.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Looking for cases for a 15 inch retina MBP, whatcha got SA?

Looked at Speck cases but they look kinda plain, any recommendations?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Conversely does shutting it down every night pose a problem?

It'll just piss your co-workers off every morning with that Mac startup chime.

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also it comes with free parallels or Bento... I think I'll go with parallels even though I don't know if ill have a use for it. I'm not really organized enough to use bento.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It'll just piss your co-workers off every morning with that Mac startup chime.

Oddly enough, shutting down/powering up a lot will supposedly decrease the life span of a spinning hard drive because of the stopping/starting. Since you're dealing with an MBA, that won't ever be a problem. Shut it down to your heart's content. Do it just to hear the chimes if you want. Personally, I dig them :3 (though I only restart like once a month).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oddly enough, shutting down/powering up a lot will supposedly decrease the life span of a spinning hard drive because of the stopping/starting. Since you're dealing with an MBA, that won't ever be a problem. Shut it down to your heart's content. Do it just to hear the chimes if you want. Personally, I dig them :3 (though I only restart like once a month).

That doesn't make any sense, the hard drive gets spun down when the computer is put to sleep, too. And most computers will spin down the drive when it isn't being used even while the computer is awake.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

barfoid posted:

Also it comes with free parallels or Bento... I think I'll go with parallels even though I don't know if ill have a use for it. I'm not really organized enough to use bento.

I sold the copy of Parallels I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

That doesn't make any sense, the hard drive gets spun down when the computer is put to sleep, too. And most computers will spin down the drive when it isn't being used even while the computer is awake.

That's why I said "supposedly"- it's something I hear tossed about often enough. I really don't know either way :shrug:.