Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thermoworks and CDN products.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Right now I use the "cook it till is done 'cause its ground up in a sauce" or the "cut it in the thickest spot and check for pink" methods which work well enough for what they are worth, I was more interested in using the thermometer for things like roasts, turkey...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Nor do I. It seems like a waste when I have two perfectly good eyes to tell when something is cooked.

Yeah, checking internal temp of poultry doesn't need a thermometer, just cook until it's a desert. Nor does candymaking. Or smoking. or roasting anything big. Or monitoring curing or cheese making temperatures. or testing the calibration of your immersion circulator.

I have way too many thermometers.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

"cut it in the thickest spot and check for pink"
This is the worst. All your juices will run out and just...yeah it's bad. Don't do this even for someone you hate.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same here. I already have two thermapens but I put another one on the wishlist this year because I want one of the splashproof models. Maybe I'll send one of my old ones to a needy goon.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Aesthetic or ascetic?

Arrrrgggg.

Asceticism, as in purposely denying oneself pleasures. Can I blame spell checker for that one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

But how do you temp steamships?

I let the men in the boiler room see to the stoking.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, checking internal temp of poultry doesn't need a thermometer, just cook until it's a desert. Nor does candymaking. Or smoking. or roasting anything big. Or monitoring curing or cheese making temperatures. or testing the calibration of your immersion circulator.

I don't make candy or use a puddler, but I never needed one for any of those other things. We do it OG style.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So "OG" is some kind of shorthand for "mediocre?"

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Nor do I. It seems like a waste when I have two perfectly good eyes to tell when something is cooked.

Oh please. It's great to be able to tell how done a steak is by poking it with a finger, but there are plenty of times when a probe thermometer is the best tool for the job. Chicken thighs on the bone, large roasts, poaching liquid... Hell, even casserole. When I eyeball stuff, I'll go a little past what I think is right, just in case. When I can just poke a thing with my thermapen, I can pull it exactly when it's where I want it.

As much as I love my thermapen, you can get a cheap digital probe for fifteen bucks or so which will still be quite accurate. What you're paying for with the thermapen is speed, smallness of sensor (it's just on the last 1/8" of the point) longevity and ease of cleaning. I use mine about a hundred times a week (really) so eighty bucks is worth it, but it would be a pretty extravagant purchase for just cooking at home.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is the worst. All your juices will run out and just...yeah it's bad. Don't do this even for someone you hate.

I avoid this of course, and usually it is a nervous habit on my part, as after it gets sliced, its done well enough and I take it directly off to mitigate loss-of-juice.

Whatever, you goons with nice kitchen equipment make me jealous.

e: VVVVV bought. thermapen or CDN equivalent going on christmas/b-day wishlist I think. Probably the only kitchen tool I need right now.

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 19, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/RT600C-Super-...rds=thermoworks

Made by the same company that makes thermapen. Thin tip, quick response, accurate.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I avoid this of course, and usually it is a nervous habit on my part, as after it gets sliced, its done well enough and I take it directly off to mitigate loss-of-juice.

actually this isn't really true; pretty much all meats benefit from being rested between cooking and slicing, they will be more tender juicy and flavorful if you wait a few minutes before slicing. Stabbing with a thermometer really does the same thing, just not as much.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

pile of brown posted:

actually this isn't really true; pretty much all meats benefit from being rested between cooking and slicing, they will be more tender juicy and flavorful if you wait a few minutes before slicing. Stabbing with a thermometer really does the same thing, just not as much.

smaller wound for seepage.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hence the desire for a thin tip.

Or a dial-type one that you just leave in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Worth noting that one of the benefits of the thermapen is a much finer probe than most instant read thermometers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe I'll send one of my old ones to a needy goon.

Turn it into a contest, see who can write the saddest sob story about how much their kitchen sucks, including photos

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Made by the same company that makes thermapen. Thin tip, quick response, accurate.

Hey, that's the one I have! I have that one, a remote-probe unit, a stand-up candy thermometer, and a small dial one for foaming milk.

Wroughtirony posted:

When I eyeball stuff, I'll go a little past what I think is right, just in case. When I can just poke a thing with my thermapen, I can pull it exactly when it's where I want it.

Ah, truth. Also, I don't think I would have the balls to cook rare pork without one.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Turn it into a contest, see who can write the saddest sob story about how much their kitchen sucks, including photos

I was thinking of starting a post your kitchen thread, but I thought it would just turn into a dickwaving contest.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What's your point? I'd like to see such a dick-waving contest.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I was thinking of starting a post your kitchen thread, but I thought it would just turn into a dickwaving contest.

I think it would end up yo-yo-ing between intensely sad and amazingly nice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It would be helpful just because it would force people to clean their loving kitchens for the picture.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

It would be helpful just because it would force people to clean their loving kitchens for the picture.

The man makes a good point. Plus, I need to finish installing some shelves and poo poo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

And a penis.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Arrrrgggg.

Asceticism, as in purposely denying oneself pleasures. Can I blame spell checker for that one?
You can, but I'll still judge you!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

So "OG" is some kind of shorthand for "mediocre?"

"Salmonella"

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why buy Thermapen then? Better warranty? More sturdy?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

geetee posted:

Industry standard, more like.

e: It's like asking "Why buy Hobart?" Because poo poo lasts forever.

My kitchen is pathetically small, I'd love to show it off in a somewhat clean state.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm sure that there are lots of uses for a thermometer in the kitchen, but I have never needed one. I don't think they're necessary for most things that I do, because with a bit of practice/trial and error, you can achieve the same results.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

geetee posted:

Thermapen is still faster. That one says 5-6 seconds. It's the difference between a thermistor and a thermocouple.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

geetee posted:

Thermapen is a thermocouple thermometer instead of thermistor*, like most pocket thermometers. Thermocouples are more accurate and more consistent. There's a much smaller margin of error, and they don't require frequent calibration.

Really, if you're cooking at home you don't NEED one. The one you posted is more than adequate for most home uses.

Most of my co-workers use a similar digital pocket thermometer to the one you posted. I use a thermapen because:

*I can afford it
*I like that it's easy to clean and has no crevices to hide bacteria
*I like that it's fast- I don't have to leave the oven door open for long to temp something.
*I have to log at least 16 temps a day on top of checking cook temps
*I like to cook sous-vide at home and I don't have an immersion circulator
*My job buys me chef coats with large sleeve pockets
*It comes in purple

*edited because I am a space cadet

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 19, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Thermapen is still faster. That one says 5-6 seconds. It's the difference between a thermistor and a thermocouple.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks! I was reading the post as same internals. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't dig into the specs because I'm on my phone right now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

5-6 sec is still quite fast for a home thermometer. Most take forevz to equilibrate.

Here's a vid comparison of the CDN vs Thermapen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq_9mHj8OMs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Well this would be more of a dickshaming contest

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Darval posted:

Aaaand I just learned she might be seeing another guy. Would have liked to know this a day ago. I am a dumbass. I shall feed my sorrow with expensive Twinkies.

You should still give her the Twinkies, but now you can do it as an act of vengeance, since they're actually super gross.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
My Thermapen is the best $80 or so I ever spent. I went through several "instant read" jobbies before I saw a link right here on these forums about a sale Thermoworks was having, and I scooped one up. No regrets, and I'm actually going to order a 2nd one soon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Has anyone actually started on the YLLS help post? If not, I was considering knocking out an effort post on my day off this Thursday entitled "Stop Eating Gross poo poo - a Love Letter from GWS", that I could post here for feedback and additions for a final draft to be posted Saturday.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

I salute you for not throwing a sizzle plate over the line when you get an order like that. Kosher, vegan, gluten free? I HOPE YOU LIKE RICE.

No no, it's kosher for PASSOVER that's the issue, because you can't use any grains at all, including rice. That's where the issues come in. Our restaurant is already kosher, and we're all vegan, and mostly gluten free anyway. Most of the year, it's stupidly easy. But that one week, when all bread is outlawed, all tortillas, all rice, all BEANS, most oils (except olive) are all a no-no, it becomes a nightmare. For gently caress's sake, there's some who won't even accept spices. So it's like "Uh. Erm. Veg? With herbs? Garlic? OK. And maybe some quinoa. gently caress me, I hate this."

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Has anyone actually started on the YLLS help post? If not, I was considering knocking out an effort post on my day off this Thursday entitled "Stop Eating Gross poo poo - a Love Letter from GWS", that I could post here for feedback and additions for a final draft to be posted Saturday.

I salute the intent, but you may want to workshop it pretty intently here, or risk the shitstorm.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable Melange posted:

I salute the intent, but you may want to workshop it pretty intently here, or risk the shitstorm.

Yeah, I figured that Wednesday I would throw a basic format, with suggested content and the like in here, and hopefully people would be willing to add individual sections themselves, instead of having one person try to do all of it. If people aren't a fan, I am not married to the idea at all, so we'll see how it goes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

No no, it's kosher for PASSOVER that's the issue, because you can't use any grains at all, including rice. That's where the issues come in. Our restaurant is already kosher, and we're all vegan, and mostly gluten free anyway. Most of the year, it's stupidly easy. But that one week, when all bread is outlawed, all tortillas, all rice, all BEANS, most oils (except olive) are all a no-no, it becomes a nightmare. For gently caress's sake, there's some who won't even accept spices. So it's like "Uh. Erm. Veg? With herbs? Garlic? OK. And maybe some quinoa. gently caress me, I hate this."

I think at that point you just serve them a glass of water with a stick of celery sitting in it.

It amazes me that people who limit their diet this severely bother to eat out at all.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bunnielab posted:

I think at that point you just serve them a glass of water with a stick of celery sitting in it.

It amazes me that people who limit their diet this severely bother to eat out at all.
No lie, I totally had this conversation with my boss. Fortunately, after that venting session, we hunkered down, and came up with some pretty rockin' soups, salads, and grain specials that totally hit all the crazy rules that their ancestors have imposed, while still being very delicious. It meant that we were busy at a time most Kosher places are closed. For sure, it took some creative thinking, but we got there eventually. That's what I was trying to get at. Yes, the YLLS folk eat some fairly restricted diets. It doesn't mean that they're in that bad a position. Any vegetables are fair game, as are any spices. Open that up, and you've got a world of wonder waiting. Someone needs to make a planning thread, or google document or whatnot. I'm disqualified, because I can't speak to the main part of their meals (the meat). If y'all want help with the veg, give me a holler, and I'll type something up.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

It's the difference between a thermistor and a thermocouple.
Everyone knows a thermocouple is just a thermistor and thermissus stuck together. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I'm a lurker of both GWC and YLLS and mediocre at both cooking at exercising, and what you guys are proposing would certainly be interesting to me. I tend to alternate between "eating tasteless food that's high protein" and "eating pretty good food that isn't terrible" most days.