Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So I have a few tiny mans that I want to try to sell. I have a question though--what is the easiest way to ship them? Most are unopened and still in blisters with the foam, but a few are partly assembled. I can pad it enough, I just don't know how much I should expect it to cost. I haven't shipped anything in quite a while; am I looking at something like $5 per box?

[edit] I'm in the U.S.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

CyberLord XP posted:

Progress on the Grey tide:

They look straight out of a comic book. It's rad as hell

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Aranan posted:

So I have a few tiny mans that I want to try to sell. I have a question though--what is the easiest way to ship them? Most are unopened and still in blisters with the foam, but a few are partly assembled. I can pad it enough, I just don't know how much I should expect it to cost. I haven't shipped anything in quite a while; am I looking at something like $5 per box?

[edit] I'm in the U.S.

Get USPS flat rate boxes. It's like 3 bucks.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Manifest posted:

Get USPS flat rate boxes. It's like 3 bucks.

This isn't really true, there are several sizes and the smallest is $5.35, the shipper doesn't have to pay for the boxes and you can stop by the post office and pick up as many as you need as long as you plan to use them to mail packages.

here are the rates
http://postcalc.usps.com/

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Someone posted, although I can't remember the thread, some bases that are designed to look like wooden ship decking. I can't find them again, anybody got any ideas?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ineptmule posted:

Someone posted, although I can't remember the thread, some bases that are designed to look like wooden ship decking. I can't find them again, anybody got any ideas?

Those are some I made out of Extra Firm Scuplty (Polymeric Clay), a straight edge and a mechanical pencil.

I rolled out the sculpty on top of a sheet of my Baking Parchment (which i use for my wet palette). Then inscribed the parallel lines with a straight edge. Following this step I carefully used a xacto knife to cut out the shapes of the base. I would take a base, and press it, upside down, into the clay and it would give me the size I needed to cut.

Then after cutting out the circles, you simply add in the board ends and the nail holes with the mechanical pencil, then bake it. Glue them down, and prime them!

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

CyberLord XP posted:

Progress on the Grey tide:

I love the use of colours on those.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

dexefiend posted:

Those are some I made out of Extra Firm Scuplty (Polymeric Clay), a straight edge and a mechanical pencil.

I rolled out the sculpty on top of a sheet of my Baking Parchment (which i use for my wet palette). Then inscribed the parallel lines with a straight edge. Following this step I carefully used a xacto knife to cut out the shapes of the base. I would take a base, and press it, upside down, into the clay and it would give me the size I needed to cut.

Then after cutting out the circles, you simply add in the board ends and the nail holes with the mechanical pencil, then bake it. Glue them down, and prime them!

Erk. I'll keep that in mind... someone definitely posted some bought ones. I need quite a few though so maybe making them myself is the way to go. Thanks!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I love the use of colours on those.

Thanks! The diorama you put together last month was amazing, so I take that as high praise.

For the colors I decided to forgo the usual "one clan, one color scheme" that I would have typically done for an Ork army. Using Grey skin limits my color palette a good deal, but it does tend to make any other colors I use really pop.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

ineptmule posted:

Erk. I'll keep that in mind... someone definitely posted some bought ones. I need quite a few though so maybe making them myself is the way to go. Thanks!

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/wood-c-3_14.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Resin-Bases-30-Round-Timb-Decking-Warhammer-40k-/300412240503?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item45f1f70277

http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=20

There's some resin cast ones.

Honestly though, dexefiend's look as good or better.

You could also make some from wooden stirrer sticks. Just glue them on a base and drill some holes to look like nails.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Grey orks are a great change, you're right, it does force you to have brighter colors everywhere else. Has anyone seen/tried brown or red/brown (basically Uruk-hai from the Lord of the Rings moveis) orks?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ineptmule posted:

I made all those in like an hour or so, with a total cost of 2 dollars.

It's like 50 bases, which would be like a hundred bucks!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Please send help.

I've just ordered fake dirt, grass, bushes and weeds and am looking at tiny tiny plants with lust.

For some reason I feel as if I need a textured paint that can simulate dirt and one for pavement.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Mix your own textured paint with cheap house paint and sand!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hellbeard posted:

For some reason I feel as if I need a textured paint that can simulate dirt and one for pavement.

Vallejo Black Lava strikes the right balance of effort, quality, and price, at least for me.

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012
So i thought i would share what i have slowly been working on between my two jobs and blowing all my money on a pile of plastic crack that builds up in the corner of my room.

This squad ive been using to re-learn how to paint, and to learn techniques i never really used like dry brushing - using new paints, like the citidel dry brush range and also playing with cutting things.

I hate duplicate models but my laziness will only allow me to do the bare minimum on models i dont see any particular value in, like these cultists. Anyway what do you all think? Comments and criticism much appreciated :)

Sorry for the rubish lighting and camera. Ive only got a phone
drat the cruel harsh unforgiving nature of close up photos.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dominion posted:

Vallejo Black Lava strikes the right balance of effort, quality, and price, at least for me.
This. Black Lava is what GW Texture paints would be if they did what they are supposed to do.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those actually give me some ideas for conversions! Good job

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Crowleraptor posted:

So i thought i would share what i have slowly been working on between my two jobs and blowing all my money on a pile of plastic crack that builds up in the corner of my room.

This squad ive been using to re-learn how to paint, and to learn techniques i never really used like dry brushing - using new paints, like the citidel dry brush range and also playing with cutting things.

I hate duplicate models but my laziness will only allow me to do the bare minimum on models i dont see any particular value in, like these cultists. Anyway what do you all think? Comments and criticism much appreciated :)

Sorry for the rubish lighting and camera. Ive only got a phone
drat the cruel harsh unforgiving nature of close up photos.

I really really wish I could paint that cleanly and evenly.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Thanks for the tip.

Here's the update for now. Note the difference in the position of the rifle. It broke off accidentally.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Combat Hug

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

omnibobb posted:

Combat Hug
Organic Rangefinder

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
One time I caught an insurgent this big!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

God I hate painting skin, guys I got some questions on it though, here:

Lips and finishing the eyes, how can I go about this? mix flesh with a lipstick tone for the lips? I'm a bit afraid of doing the black dot on the eyes as I'm trying to avoid that whole O_o look.

Glad I got an hour or two to sit down with this mini again though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Flipswitch posted:

Lips and finishing the eyes, how can I go about this? mix flesh with a lipstick tone for the lips? I'm a bit afraid of doing the black dot on the eyes as I'm trying to avoid that whole O_o look.

The way I can get eyes to look ok is to take the eye in 3 steps. First do the eye color. Wait for that to dry and then put the whites to the side of it, covering up the original dot of color until it's the size/shape you want. Let the white dry. Then cover the white with your flesh tone until it's the size/shape you want.

Oh what Forza has taught me

Too bad I still can't shade for crap to make the rest of it look good

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I find doing a thin vertical line for the pupil is easier, and you really cant tell the difference

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, thanks guys. I'll play about with a spare miniature and some paper and see what works out for me. I'm giving the lips a shot now.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Flipswitch posted:

Sweet, thanks guys. I'll play about with a spare miniature and some paper and see what works out for me. I'm giving the lips a shot now.

Remember to always paint just the bottom lip to avoid clown-face.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Flipswitch posted:

Use dark brown for the pupils and your flesh shadow color for the bottom lip. You can add a small white dot to the upper corner of the pupil and a small flesh midtone highlight to the center of the lip if you're feeling fancy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That seems to work a lot better than I was initially thinking. Thanks Silhouette. :) Will post it up once it eventually gets finished. I've got two weeks away training now though so I won't get chance to see it til the end of that.

e: Yeah, I was wary of having a slap face Sushi, I think I'm avoiding it so far though.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

ineptmule posted:

It's a little late, but I asked a while back about making dock-looking bases for my Warmachine pirates and was pointed to these guys which I wound up using; http://www.forgecraftgames.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=37

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So I'm slowly catching up on my two year absence from the hobby... and apparently Devlan Mud / Baddab Black are gone? Oh god, how do I paint?!

Has anyone found a quick substitute for these, or has everyone started making their own washes now?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Aranan posted:

So I'm slowly catching up on my two year absence from the hobby... and apparently Devlan Mud / Baddab Black are gone? Oh god, how do I paint?!

Has anyone found a quick substitute for these, or has everyone started making their own washes now?
Apparently the new equivalents are the same or even better.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Aranan posted:

I make my own - works out much much cheaper, especially if you do lots of terrain, vehicles or like to dip-wash.

Here's what I use, it's the Lester Burley (apparently a famous pro painter) set of recipes:
Liquitex Flow Aid
Matte Medium
Distilled Water
FW Acrylic Inks: sepia, black

First mix 450ml of distilled water with 50ml of Flow Aid (10:1 ratio)

In 1 ounce bottles:
fill halfway with Matte Medium
fill rest with premix

lightly shake ink bottle

Softbody Black - add 20 drops of black per ounce (35 per 50ml)
Heavy Body Black - 40 drops of black per ounce (50 per 50ml)
Dark Sepia - add 40 drops of sepia per ounce (50 per 50ml)

If you want more recipes I can post them, I saved all the recipes and pictures from the Dakka Dakka thread where he posted them 'just in case'

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

krushgroove posted:

I make my own - works out much much cheaper, especially if you do lots of terrain, vehicles or like to dip-wash.

Here's what I use, it's the Lester Burley (apparently a famous pro painter) set of recipes:
Liquitex Flow Aid
Matte Medium
Distilled Water
FW Acrylic Inks: sepia, black

First mix 450ml of distilled water with 50ml of Flow Aid (10:1 ratio)

In 1 ounce bottles:
fill halfway with Matte Medium
fill rest with premix

lightly shake ink bottle

Softbody Black - add 20 drops of black per ounce (35 per 50ml)
Heavy Body Black - 40 drops of black per ounce (50 per 50ml)
Dark Sepia - add 40 drops of sepia per ounce (50 per 50ml)

If you want more recipes I can post them, I saved all the recipes and pictures from the Dakka Dakka thread where he posted them 'just in case'

LOL, I'm doing the same thing with Les's washes.

Anyway, if you don't want to make them, the current equivalents are Army Painter Dark and Strong Tones for Badab Black and Devlan Mud, respectively.

EDIT:

For more of Les's recipes, he posted them on DakkaDakka.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 20, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Using just sepia ink is not quite as dark as Devlan mud, it's more like...well, sepia. His recipe for "armor wash" is pretty close to devlan, though, a mix of black and brown.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dominion posted:

Using just sepia ink is not quite as dark as Devlan mud, it's more like...well, sepia. His recipe for "armor wash" is pretty close to devlan, though, a mix of black and brown.

I thought Sewer Water was the equivalent (for 1/2 oz., 60 drops burnt umber and 20 drops black).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

VoodooXT posted:

I thought Sewer Water was the equivalent (for 1/2 oz., 60 drops burnt umber and 20 drops black).

Could be, I dont remember the recipes exactly.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Does anyone have any air compressors or mini-compressors to recommend? I'm thinking of getting into airbrushing, and while someone gave some tips a few pages back (and posted this handy video) I'm still sort of at a loss as to what kind of compressor to get. I simply cannot find the Atlantis PT-350 in that video anywhere online, and that would be about perfect for what I need, so something roughly equivalent would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I bought this compressor not too long ago and it seems pretty decent:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Although, I can't give a proper review because I cannot find a hose that will connect it to my Iwata Eclipse.

• Locked thread