Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

leica posted:

Not really, over it already.

If Kliph has an official response just post it, I don't check twitter much.

If he ever responds to me I'll PM you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey look Dave Grohl is pretty cool

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 7, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't know about Grohl personally, but I do know that the Foo Fighters used to deny the existence of Aids or some poo poo like that so maybe he is mad about that.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

leica posted:

Hey look Dave Grohl is pretty cool

I'd like to get the background story on this photo if at all possible.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Stardeath just posted on facebook that they're working on getting the King Crimson records and tour posters up for sale online, so if you wanted one, you should watch this page:

http://www.facebook.com/StardeathAndWhiteDwarfs

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've been waiting for that post for a week now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mia2000 posted:

I'd like to get the background story on this photo if at all possible.

I found it randomly yesterday on Imgur when I went to upload a photo, and I immediately thought of this thread and had to post it.

I guess the guy that uploaded it is the guy in on the right, and the caption said he met Dave while voting. Where the framed picture came from I have no clue, he must have had it in his car I guess?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Well I got you folks an answer

https://twitter.com/KliphScurlock/status/267385473406746624

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'd guess that if you had a personal problem with an artist you would tend to probably not like their music. Or respect them in general. Whatever Grohl did or said to Kliph must have been lovely, Kliph is a cool and humble guy (he helped me find a good set of drums) so I'll trust his opinion that Dave Grohl is probably an rear end.

I still kinda like the Foo Fighters though :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 11, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Stardeath and White Dwarves posted this on facebook

"Playing Hide And Seek With The Ghost Of Dawn, the King Crimson Cover record we did with New Fumes, Linear Downfall, Spaceface, and The Flaming Lips, will be available at all three Oklahoma Guestroom Records locations TOMORROW!!! and many more independent record stores around the county in the next few days!!! Keep your ear to the ground..er... facebook/twitter. YES!!!"

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Alright, for anyone that wants a copy of the King Crimson cover album, Guestroom Records in OKC has them and is doing mailorder. The cost is $30 shipped.

Just send an email with your address and info to guestroomrecords@gmail.com and they'll send you a Paypal link to pay for it.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Davincie posted:

I don't know about Grohl personally, but I do know that the Foo Fighters used to deny the existence of Aids or some poo poo like that so maybe he is mad about that.

The bass player Nate used to be on that "HIV doesn't cause AIDS" bullshit back in like 2000, but I think he smartened up since then.

Dave is pretty clearly one the absolute chillest dudes in music so who knows where that beef stemmed from. It's possible that Dave doesn't even know or care that the Lips dudes don't like him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not too long ago they both did the Who Rock Honors on VH1, maybe something went on there. I know Daltrey and Townshend talk a lot about how much they love the Lips, maybe Grohl got jealous and pissed in their punch bowl.

It's gotta be cool though to hear your rock heros talk about how much they like and respect you as an artist.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Surfingelectrode posted:

Alright, for anyone that wants a copy of the King Crimson cover album, Guestroom Records in OKC has them and is doing mailorder. The cost is $30 shipped.

Just send an email with your address and info to guestroomrecords@gmail.com and they'll send you a Paypal link to pay for it.

I just wanted to confirm this is the case. I sent them an email a couple days ago and yesterday they gave me the paypal info, I paid, and they shipped it.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Dave Grohl died in 2006 and the current Dave Grohl is an actor. I know because he was my dad.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The company that is putting out Beck's new sheet music album is broadcasting a new one-hour radio drama about Wayne and the Lips on KCRW this Saturday and Sunday.

Info here.

Wasn't expecting that. Weird.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Surfingelectrode posted:

The company that is putting out Beck's new sheet music album is broadcasting a new one-hour radio drama about Wayne and the Lips on KCRW this Saturday and Sunday.

Info here.

Wasn't expecting that. Weird.

This sounds like it's going to be awesome. I hope it's available to stream.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

The rear end Stooge posted:

This sounds like it's going to be awesome. I hope it's available to stream.

Looks like it:

That Site posted:

Q: Why can’t I hear it, right at this moment, by clicking on a link?

A: Eventually, there will be a link for you to click, and just listen online, whenever. But first, this will be presented as a special live-radio event—just like the old days of radio theatre like Mecury Theatre and “War of the Worlds.” We encourage you to host your own listening parties. Mark your calendars, gather your friends, and take in “Wayne Coyne’s Human Head-Shaped Tumor”!

Q: When?

A: November 24 and November 25, at 5 p.m., Pacific.

Q: Where?

A: On KCRW, 89.9 in Los Angeles and streaming around the world at KCRW.com.

“Wayne Coyne’s Human Head-Shaped Tumor” is a great title, just so perfectly Wayne.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epi Lepi posted:

Ask him about Pink Floyd's The Wall if you wanna hear some of his other vitriolic opinions on music.

I know this post is like two weeks old but I was just catching up on the thread, can you elaborate on this? Don't have twitter and I'm kind of curious if his opinion is the same as mine on that album.

Also on the "think Foo Fighters are mediocre at best" side.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The whole thing is already up on KCRW:

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/ot/ot121124wayne_coynes_human_h

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Here's a sick video of Steven demoing a sweet fuzz/tremolo guitar pedal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgxLXqpR_U

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Epi Lepi posted:

Here's a sick video of Steven demoing a sweet fuzz/tremolo guitar pedal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgxLXqpR_U

I want one.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's a new interview with Steven about the album and the live show:

http://stereogum.com/1205412/progress-report-the-flaming-lips/franchises/progress-report/

By the way, if anyone didn't see it, Wayne did something really stupid a few weeks ago.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's a new interview with Steven about the album and the live show:

http://stereogum.com/1205412/progress-report-the-flaming-lips/franchises/progress-report/

By the way, if anyone didn't see it, Wayne did something really stupid a few weeks ago.

Didn't Johnny Knoxville get arrested for doing the same thing some time back?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I think Wayne is a really cool and generally smart guy, but man every once in a while he does something that just makes me facepalm.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Also wait, did Wayne and Michelle really seperate? I just saw that one (very biased) article, can't find anything else on it. I hope they didn't :(

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WTFing at that grenade nonsense. Wayne's shtick is getting really old.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Slackerish posted:

Also wait, did Wayne and Michelle really seperate? I just saw that one (very biased) article, can't find anything else on it. I hope they didn't :(

What? I haven't heard anything about this. Can you post a link? I wonder if that has anything to do with Wayne's recent antics over the past year or vice versa.

Happy Hippo posted:

WTFing at that grenade nonsense. Wayne's shtick is getting really old.

He spoke to Pitchfork(?) about the whole thing and he was partying super hard the night before, someone gave him a gold painted deactivated grenade and he was too hosed up to remember he packed it into his carry-on. So it wasn't a deliberate stunt, but still a boneheaded thing to do.

Cool article, I like hearing about how they have a hard time deciding what songs to include in the live show. It's cool to see how an artist approaches that kind of thing.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Epi Lepi posted:

What? I haven't heard anything about this. Can you post a link? I wonder if that has anything to do with Wayne's recent antics over the past year or vice versa.

http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/08/20/wayne-and-michelle-coyne-have-separated/

same source. they seem to really hate Wayne now.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I didn't want to believe that was true, but maybe it is. Apparently there was a Halloween party at Michelle's sister's house and Wayne was specifically told not to come? According to some dude on Slow Nerve Action, anyway.

Sucks if it is true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

Nirvana opened for them a few times back in 1989.

That was before they got Dave Grohl, though.

Holy poo poo I wish I had been old enough to see that. I love Steel Pole Bathtub. I bet that show was loving insane.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ Wayne is getting really loving stupid, I don't buy the bullshit that he forgot it was in his bag, he was leaving his home in OKC, why didn't he just leave it at home? It's to the point now where I question his motivations, it's like he's doing dumb poo poo deliberately to get attention, like tweeting pics of Keesha's cocaine http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/01/23/do-you-realize-wayne-coyne-may-have-tweeted-a-pic-of-kehas-cocaine/

The last part of the airport article sums up my feelings about it perfectly:

quote:

Anyway, this whole fiasco brings me back to one question I’ve asked on this site a few times over the past year. What the hell is going on with Wayne Coyne?! He used to be a quirky little weirdo that everyone enjoyed. Hell, I had a man crush on him. Now I can barely stand him.

He used to be obsessed with robots and Martians and would say things like “gently caress” over the loudspeakers at city events. And best of all, he seemed authentic and genuine while doing it.

Maybe the Twitter age is partly to blame, but now it feels like there’s a staged and contrived element to everything Wayne Coyne does. His shtick has gotten old. Instead of seeing a creative genius at work, I feel like I’m watching an egotistical old man who’s obsessed with vaginas, open sores and bringing grenades to airports. Sure, he’s still a great ambassador for our city and proof to the world that not all Oklahomans are right wing religious zealots, but I want the old Wayne Coyne back. Maybe someone can help Wayne find him.

[edit] I think Wayne needs to put down his iPhone for a year or two, stop loving tweeting and concentrate on the loving music. I'm going to unfollow him because his tweets lately are just rambling bullshit.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 23, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

Holy poo poo I wish I had been old enough to see that. I love Steel Pole Bathtub. I bet that show was loving insane.

Nathan Roberts did this interview with an old Lips fan site years ago and here's what he said about that show:

quote:

By far the most memorable experience was; Nirvana was opening for us in Ann Arbor, MI. (yes…they were opening for us for $150) and Kurt mentioned to me that G.G. Allen was in jail in Ann Arbor and suggested that we drop by and pay him a visit. Kurt and I hopped in the Nirvana van and went to the jail. The cops said he was there but he probably wouldn’t want to see us. We insisted that we were friends of his and they let us go in. G.G. wasn’t happy to see us. After we told him who we were and that we were big fans, he proceeded to curse and spit at us and kept yelling that we were “just a couple of Kansas City faggots who want their dicks sucked by the immortal G.G.” I know Kurt wasn’t famous at the time, but it’s kinda cool to look back on it now. I still have one of Kurt’s t-shirts in my closet. He left it in our van after a show in Champagne, IL. We had played in Normal, IL the night before and we heard they were playing in Champagne the next night. We were the only five people that showed-up for the show, so Nirvana played a private show for us and it was incredible. They played like there were a thousand people there. Kurt even slashed his finger open on his guitar string and just kept ripping it up. I heard a couple of years ago that a white, blood splattered guitar of Kurt’s sold at auction for over $100,000.

leica posted:

Jesus Christ Wayne is getting really loving stupid, I don't buy the bullshit that he forgot it was in his bag, he was leaving his home in OKC, why didn't he just leave it at home? It's to the point now where I question his motivations, it's like he's doing dumb poo poo deliberately to get attention, like tweeting pics of Keesha's cocaine http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/01/23/do-you-realize-wayne-coyne-may-have-tweeted-a-pic-of-kehas-cocaine/

The last part of the airport article sums up my feelings about it perfectly:

[edit] I think Wayne needs to put down his iPhone for a year or two, stop loving tweeting and concentrate on the loving music. I'm going to unfollow him because his tweets lately are just rambling bullshit.

I'm hoping he's just having a midlife crisis.

By the way, Dwelling Spaces (the new store in the Womb) was selling copies of a new collectors edition Yoshimi CD that has "unheard mixes & a re-imagined Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots ALL songs associated with it" at their grand opening today. I really don't know anything more about it, other than the packaging is a diorama:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
There's a Dwelling Spaces here in Tulsa that always sells a bunch of Lips stuff. For a while they had a bunch of the weird gummy toy poo poo that was released throughout 2011, and they always have some assortment of vinyl LPs and box sets. Really cool store, I'm glad to hear they're expanding. I'll have to see if they have any of the new Yoshimis up here.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

The rear end Stooge posted:

There's a Dwelling Spaces here in Tulsa that always sells a bunch of Lips stuff. For a while they had a bunch of the weird gummy toy poo poo that was released throughout 2011, and they always have some assortment of vinyl LPs and box sets. Really cool store, I'm glad to hear they're expanding. I'll have to see if they have any of the new Yoshimis up here.

I would love a copy of that Yoshimi album, if you could let me know about prices and if maybe you could snag one and I'd pay for it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got my copy of Playing Hide and Seek with the Ghosts of Dawn today at Sonic Boom in Seattle. Beautiful blue/pink transparent vinyl. Makes up for all my baby poop colored 2011 EP/Heady Fwends records alone.

While I was there they also found a bunch of copies of Yoko Ono/ Plastic Ono band EP and I picked up one of those. Luckily, it's not baby poop colored; it's more snot colored.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

rear end Catchcum posted:

I would love a copy of that Yoshimi album, if you could let me know about prices and if maybe you could snag one and I'd pay for it.

I'll head up there tomorrow and check it out, but it'll be a couple of weeks at least before I can buy one.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

There were only six of them there today and they were $100 and signed by the band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

leica posted:

I seriously wish I could forget or unread all the articles from that site I just went through. Even with the possible bias, the facts alone really do make Wayne sound like a total loving sex-crazed weirdo.

For a very long time, one of the things I loved about the Lips was that there wasn't really any sexual element to their music. Back in '95, all the other bands I liked pretty much had songs about sex or gender politics or whatever. If it wasn't Songs About loving from the guys, it was Songs About Who Society Fucks from the girls. The Flaming Lips sometimes sang about love (okay, maybe more than sometimes) but it had this childlike innocence to it.

Now Wayne is all grown up and I have to deal with the fact that he skeezes on groupies half his age. Not that I'm a prude - I'm just as bad or worse than anything I've heard Wayne doing, if anything - but I liked having that musical safe place, I guess.

On a lighter note, just now I remembered I once had sex with Hit To Death playing in the other room and how annoying it was to have to stop and go turn it off when it got to the "bonus track".

BMMMMP BMMMP BMMMMP BMMMP BMMMP BMMMMP

precision fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Alright, here's the tracklisting:

01 Do You Realize??
02 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1 (Unused UK Radio Mix)
03 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 2 (Not Final Mix)
04 Funeral in My Head (If I Go Mad)
05 Fight Test
06 One More Robot (Not Final Mix)
07 Are You a Hypnotist?? (Not Final Mix)
08 Assassination of the Sun
09 I'm a Fly in a Sunbeam (Following the Funeral Procession of a Stranger)
10 Sunship Balloons
11 In the Morning of the Magicians
12 It's Summertime (Unedited Final Mix)
13 Up Above the Daily Hum
14 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Dawn
15 Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)
16 All We Have is Now

17 It's Summertime (Original Version)
18 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell (Demo)

There are some pics here. Looks like it's limited to 100 copies. And Yoshimi: The Cartoon?

• Locked thread