Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Krad posted:

I'm sorry to say, but no, no bosses in 6 are as much fun as Wesker was in 5. :(

It's not hard to be more fun that Wesker when all of Wesker's fights are literally "Dodge him until you can blast him in the head in some way."

Also, Jake's final boss is better than Wesker, seriously that is the most fun I've had with an RE boss ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

embitca
May 4, 2009
I've been playing RE6 over the past week and I ended up quitting Chris' campaign in disgust over my inability to outrun a B.O.W. for gently caress's sake. So I blew it off and started Jake's campaign and I have to say I am really digging it. I think he's got the best voice actor in the game and I love the physicality. Also, sliding into J'avos to stun them is fun.

Right now I think I might like Jake's campaign even more than Leon's. Chris's campaign, on the other hand, is just :bang:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda struggling with perk choices - at the moment I'm running with the item increase, the one that lets you wiggle out of grapples quicker and the one that gives you extra healing when you're downed. You can probably guess how bad I am. :v:

Anyone got suggestions for me? I mostly use the pistol/AR right now, but I take a lot of damage - most of it coming from the initial bulk when an enemy latches on. I'm good at avoiding regular attacks but these grapples really wear me down. I'm still in Leon's campaign, Chapter 4, if that's any help.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Upgrade defence and zombie killer if you can. Defence will obviously help with your damage issues and being able to kill the zombies quicker is never a bad idea.

Just a caveat with zombie killer though (enemy spoiler?): they don't show up much in the other 3 campaigns, so J'avo killer is better value for money.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm kinda struggling with perk choices - at the moment I'm running with the item increase, the one that lets you wiggle out of grapples quicker and the one that gives you extra healing when you're downed. You can probably guess how bad I am. :v:

Anyone got suggestions for me? I mostly use the pistol/AR right now, but I take a lot of damage - most of it coming from the initial bulk when an enemy latches on. I'm good at avoiding regular attacks but these grapples really wear me down. I'm still in Leon's campaign, Chapter 4, if that's any help.

If I recall correctly, Leon's campaign has the most grapples in the entire game, so there's that. :v:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Man, this game is sad, there's no incentive to play coop or other online modes and there's barely anyone online; come on Capcom, have some unlockables, patch that in. At least you can play Professional from the get go.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Breakout, the one that makes escape grapples easier, has the hidden side effect of making ALL button mash/wiggle QTEs easier, so it's actually not a bad idea to have that handy pretty much always.

For Leon, you might want to pick up Zombie Killer or the one that boosts guns. When you get to Jake, though, definitely grab the Melee boost. Jake has loving karate instead of a knife, and it is crazy fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like defense and firearm boost might be my best bet then. Still getting the timing down on my melee attacks and counters, which is proving to be rather tricky. My reflexes aren't what they used to be. :saddowns:

Also am I missing something or is the plot even less coherent than a normal RE game? I'm assuming you have to play all three campaigns to get everything in order, but you'd figure there'd be more than passing references to a massive bio terrorist attack on the city!

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Honest Thief posted:

Man, this game is sad, there's no incentive to play coop or other online modes and there's barely anyone online; come on Capcom, have some unlockables, patch that in. At least you can play Professional from the get go.
I finished Professional a few days ago and didn't really have any trouble finding jerks to jump in my game and die to QTEs for me. I mean, it's not COD-level multiplayer numbers but it shouldn't be super hard to find a buddy.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Sounds like defense and firearm boost might be my best bet then. Still getting the timing down on my melee attacks and counters, which is proving to be rather tricky. My reflexes aren't what they used to be. :saddowns:

Press R1 as soon as the zombies start swinging their weapons (not during the wind up). Don't wait for the prompt.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Honest Thief posted:

I blame it on the multiple campaigns design decision. I never had any trouble finding people to play with back in RE5. :(

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Krad posted:

I blame it on the multiple campaigns design decision. I never had any trouble finding people to play with back in RE5. :(

Considering all the campaigns are longer individually than the entire of RE5 was I don't mind this decision at all, though.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Thievery posted:

Considering all the campaigns are longer individually than the entire of RE5 was I don't mind this decision at all, though.

Except that they felt kinda samey and just dragged after a while. 5's was only one but felt much more varied.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Krad posted:

If it was one campaign but three times as long it would be exactly as difficult to match up with somebody.

Also I wish Capcom had split the game into smaller chunks.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Argh, Leon's campaign is incredibly frustrating now. I keep getting chain grappled and even if the enemy doesn't bite me I still lose health - I should be dying because of stupid mistakes, not due to an artifically cramped FOV stripping me of peripheral vision! :argh:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

theflyingorc posted:

Also I wish Capcom had split the game into smaller chunks.

I think this is my biggest complaint about the game. I would play it more if it didn't mean having to block out at least an hour of time for most chapters. Not being able to play a specific part on a whim because it takes place towards the end of a chapter is annoying too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tremors posted:

I think this is my biggest complaint about the game. I would play it more if it didn't mean having to block out at least an hour of time for most chapters. Not being able to play a specific part on a whim because it takes place towards the end of a chapter is annoying too.

Yeah, this really kills a lot of the replay value for me. If I want to hop into a game I have to end up somewhere within an hour-long chunk of gametime. RE5's chapter system was perfect. I don't know why they dropped it.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Oxxidation posted:

What if you don't have any interest in the co-op? $40 still fair?

Just as an FYI, I was able to pick the game up for $25 here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.256421200

Supplies are probably pretty limited at this point, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So, uh, apparently Resident Evil: Revelations is coming to PS3/360.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Someone at Capcom really needs to learn how to spell revelations.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Someone at Capcom really needs to learn how to spell revelations.

Simple answer - it's not Revelations, it's a new game.

edit - spin off series, Resident Evil : Celebrations. You play through the post-final boss party of every game in the series and find out what happened to Billy Coen after that bottle of JD.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Holy penis. :stare:

Honestly, Revelations was so drat good that it deserves a console port, plus raid mode in HD? Sign me the gently caress up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my goodness the third campaign. Jake and Sherry's quest for fifty million dollars. :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd be one of the people who buys it on console despite already owning it on 3DS, it's a really drat good game. Now if Capcom could just bring Mercenaries 3D to the consoles then I could enjoy the online of that too.

Thievery posted:

Simple answer - it's not Revelations, it's a new game.

edit - spin off series, Resident Evil : Celebrations. You play through the post-final boss party of every game in the series and find out what happened to Billy Coen after that bottle of JD.

Celebrations should be a game where you throw birthday parties for the different monsters in the game. It'll be like Cooking Mama, but with RE characters.

Nemesis Mission: Make him a birthday cake that's a replica of the STARS station.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Resident Evil 5 is 6.78 at GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RE5/resident-evil-5

Is the GFWL a pain in the butt? Or can I somehow redeem this on Steam?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Severed posted:

Resident Evil 5 is 6.78 at GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RE5/resident-evil-5

Is the GFWL a pain in the butt? Or can I somehow redeem this on Steam?

I've never had an issue with GFWL, but I think someone else in this thread couldn't even get it to run. If you've played RE5 on a console already, it's pretty fun to gently caress around with trainers on the PC version.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Every year at Thanksgiving I have time to have a friend over and power through a multiplayer game.

This year was RE6.

We quit 30 minutes in. Goddamn what a terrible game. Why do the zombies have guns? I didn't mind the occasional gun enemy in RE4 or RE5 but this is just "generic shooting game" with terrible controls.

Ugh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FairGame posted:

Every year at Thanksgiving I have time to have a friend over and power through a multiplayer game.

This year was RE6.

We quit 30 minutes in. Goddamn what a terrible game. Why do the zombies have guns? I didn't mind the occasional gun enemy in RE4 or RE5 but this is just "generic shooting game" with terrible controls.

Ugh.

Do not play it like a shooting game. That is generally ineffective. Enemies with guns do *less* damage than those with melee weapons. They just can attack from slightly further away. You just have to move in on them, not hide behind cover and shoot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

poptart_fairy posted:

Also am I missing something or is the plot even less coherent than a normal RE game? I'm assuming you have to play all three campaigns to get everything in order, but you'd figure there'd be more than passing references to a massive bio terrorist attack on the city!

It's actually more coherent than anything before RE5, but they've locked so much of the plot behind the emblems and the multiple perspectives that it's easy to get confused. There's a really big piece of the whole puzzle that isn't explained at all until chapter 4 of Ada's game.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd be one of the people who buys it on console despite already owning it on 3DS, it's a really drat good game. Now if Capcom could just bring Mercenaries 3D to the consoles then I could enjoy the online of that too.

I'll be in the same boat. It once of the better Resident Evil experiences this side of RE4. It'll be nice for my buddies who have no interest in buying a 3DS to be able to give it a go.

That said, I was sort of hoping we'd get a couple other handheld RE games for the 3DS. They have a great engine and framework in place (and the episode stucture was great for portables). I'd hate to see it not used again.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Do not play it like a shooting game. That is generally ineffective. Enemies with guns do *less* damage than those with melee weapons. They just can attack from slightly further away. You just have to move in on them, not hide behind cover and shoot.

[Context: finished Leon's campaign and two chapters of Chris']

Yeah, after taking 20 minutes to flop around on the ground and figure out the controls that they don't tell you about as soon as I could, I've been playing this just like RE4 and RE5--shoot them in the head or leg then rush in and melee to save ammo.

I'm actually really pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying the game--I mostly hated the demo and only bought it when I had an Amazon gift certificate. Outside of the ridiculous FOV and a couple times so far when I've been forced to use the wonky 'peer around the corner and shoot guys' system, it's been real fun from a core gameplay perspective. I do miss weapon upgrading, but that was disappointing in 5 already. I like the co-op system in this one so much better than 5.

I never played Gears of War or Call of Duty or whatever it's supposedly imitating, so I guess I didn't have the temptation to play it like those in the first place. All in all it's left me kind of confused as to why it got such rotten scores. So far.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Operation Raccoon City is 10 bucks at the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...11300/list.true

I've now purchased RE5, RE6, and ORC over the last two days and spent a total of 40 dollars. Not bad, right?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is the resident evil card game any fun? I see that there's 5 sets. Are they compatible, or do you play each one as a separate game?

embitca
May 4, 2009

Severed posted:

Operation Raccoon City is 10 bucks at the Microsoft Store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...11300/list.true

I've now purchased RE5, RE6, and ORC over the last two days and spent a total of 40 dollars. Not bad, right?

Thanks for the heads up! Just used the $10 Microsoft store credit I thought I'd never use to get ORC for free.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, uh, turns out one of Sherry's CQC moves is to grab an enemy and repeatedly knee them in the face until they're dead. I was watching her do that in Chapter 4, just imagining the :stare: on Jake's face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, turns out one of Sherry's CQC moves is to grab an enemy and repeatedly knee them in the face until they're dead. I was watching her do that in Chapter 4, just imagining the :stare: on Jake's face.

:stare: seems to be the reaction Jake should have to Sherry at all times really.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She has grown up, hasn't she? :allears:

Jake's campaign is definitely my favourite so far. Feels like the right mix of old school Resi Evil and RE4. Plus, you know, punching folk in the face.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I honestly liked Jake's a lot. I saw people in here saying they thought it was the worst and I thought "Man, that's the one I was looking forward to the most." Then I played it and it was awesome just kicking the poo poo out of everything with melee and Jake's last boss was the icing on the cake.

embitca
May 4, 2009
Jake is my favorite too and I'm still only halfway through his campaign. I feel like a traitor to Leon! :blush:

So, have I lost my mine or was there a sneaky update that added the "Resident Evil 6" announcement? I played last night and I could have sworn it was not there and every time I load the game I think to myself how strange it is that they didn't follow tradition and then tonight I boot it up and "Resident Evil 6".

YAY, but umm, I don't remember downloading a patch? Stealth patching??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

embitca posted:

Jake is my favorite too and I'm still only halfway through his campaign. I feel like a traitor to Leon! :blush:

So, have I lost my mine or was there a sneaky update that added the "Resident Evil 6" announcement? I played last night and I could have sworn it was not there and every time I load the game I think to myself how strange it is that they didn't follow tradition and then tonight I boot it up and "Resident Evil 6".

YAY, but umm, I don't remember downloading a patch? Stealth patching??

It is there as long as you wait for the animation to play.