Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Nobody saw it coming, the opponent didn't get what was happening until he was eating dirt, everyone will be on the look out for another attempt. If you're going to do it, this is how you should :getin:.

Fryhtaning posted:

I may be missing something here, but both of those look like the same one.
Somehow the Lions one got served up when I checked it this morning, now it's the robot one. Probably some caching hijinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 8 is up.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aoiyama v Ikioi, landing like that looks like it hurt. Hopefully that limp doesn't imply a serious injury.

Kotooshuu v Harumafuji, given their almost par versus record, you would've expected some more than this. Poor show by Kotooshuu.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I've had a lazy Sunday, so I watched through most of the DVRd coverage from this morning. Didn't take much more than an hour fast forwarding through the filler stuff between actual coverage. I loving loved the energy from start to finish of Kotoshogiku v Kisenosato. The crowd was also going nuts for Yoshikaze right from the start. Its a shame nobody has posted the extended coverage of Yoshi's match - it was pretty nuts.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Day 9

Goueidou v Harumafuji was kind of hilarious, in a sad way.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goeido v Harumafuji, to make up for a tournament that has been free from weird shinpan stuff, this sure as hell makes up for that. Sadly, Goeido looked far worse in the redo.

Hakuho v Myogiryu, as if to prove a point Hakuho threw Myogiryu at the shinpan that started all the confusion in the previous bout and jumped in after him as if it's some silly pro-wrestling event.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Just Winging It posted:

Goeido v Harumafuji, to make up for a tournament that has been free from weird shinpan stuff, this sure as hell makes up for that. Sadly, Goeido looked far worse in the redo.

Hakuho v Myogiryu, as if to prove a point Hakuho threw Myogiryu at the shinpan that started all the confusion in the previous bout and jumped in after him as if it's some silly pro-wrestling event.

Hakuho didn't do that deliberately. No way. Do you think so? I'm questioning my own conviction here!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

After that strange Shinpan-gate, where it looked as if Goeido was going to win, it was amusing to see a ticked-off Harumafuji do a Mortal Kombat finishing move on Goeido. Goeido and Myogiryu got brutally stomped there at the end.

Also, could someone please get Kaisei a back wax, or some Nair at the very least? Sometimes I'm trying to eat breakfast while watching the highlights.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_WwuBDkYRE

Today was pretty awesome.

Aran vs. Yoshikaze: god drat did they ever beat the poo poo out of each other. one of the better slapfights i've seen

Myogiryu vs. Shohozan: good match, and great effort from shohozan, but myogiryu still just looks a cut below. not sure if it's the pressure of the ozeki speculation getting to him or that he's not 100%, but whatever it is he's still just not himself right now

Masunoyama vs. Kotoshogiku: amazing. i can't believe masunoyama is still in it, let alone winning, let alone pulling off an upset like this. masunoyama is quickly becoming one of my favorites

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Aran vs. Yoshikaze: Sure looked like there was some hair-pulling going on there, was that just youtube res playing tricks on my eyes?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Anime Reference posted:

Aran vs. Yoshikaze: Sure looked like there was some hair-pulling going on there, was that just youtube res playing tricks on my eyes?

i saw the same thing. i guess it doesn't count unless you really grab a handful and yank with a purpose.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aran v Yoshikaze, if you compare it to the time Asashoryu did get a hansoku for hair pulling (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hij22Gegu8), it's pretty much what a false said.

Funkysauce posted:

Hakuho didn't do that deliberately. No way. Do you think so? I'm questioning my own conviction here!

Of course he didn't, what are the odds :v:.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128XK_JUjys

After Kotoshogiku beat Harumafuji, I was hoping for Kotooshu to beat Hakuho, even though I'm not the biggest Kotooshu fan, just to make sure there's some drama over the next 4 days... and lo and behold, it actually happened. I definitely didn't expect that.

Also, who could have predicted Chiyotairyuu being tied for second at this late stage? I know he's had somewhat easy competition, but 9-2 is good no matter what - even if he somehow loses his next 4, he's definitely establishing himself

a false fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 21, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

That is the smartest I've ever seen Kotooshu wrestle, and he has been impressive enough this basho to where I'm a fan again. Maybe he was nursing an injury even before the kadoban?

I have a feeling drinks are on Sadogatake beya tonight. Some fat stacks of cheddar were obtained on their behalves.

Even while losing, I was still very impressed by Aran wrestling very smartly. Also, Homasho, mah boy, what's going on with you??

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

a false posted:

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128XK_JUjys

After Kotoshogiku beat Harumafuji, I was hoping for Kotooshu to beat Hakuho, even though I'm not the biggest Kotooshu fan, just to make sure there's some drama over the next 4 days... and lo and behold, it actually happened. I definitely didn't expect that.

Also, who could have predicted Chiyotairyuu being tied for second at this late stage? I know he's had somewhat easy competition, but 9-2 is good no matter what - even if he somehow loses his next 4, he's definitely establishing himself

It looked like Hakuho was out of gas. He's been spot on and fired up every match, is the fatigue catching up to him? Anyway you slice it, it's a great basho so far. Good one to wrap up the year!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Asahishou vs. Miyabiyama: Was that a rare display of emotion by Miyabiyama at the end there?

Joukouryuu vs. Aran: Aran is really giving us some good matches this tournament. I'm starting to like him quite a bit.

Shoutenrou vs. Masunoyama: Masunoyama pretty clearly just ran out of steam at the end there. That's going to be a huge disadvantage for him if he finds himself against tougher opponents.

Kakuryuu vs. Myogiryuu: That's what I like to see! I really hope that's a sign of a comeback and not just a fluke.

Hakuhou vs. Kotooshuu: Wow. That was far and away the best Kotooshuu match I've ever seen. It's really too bad he doesn't try like that all the time.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Day 11 thoughts:

Yokozuna bouts: Interesting twists to this basho's narrative. It doesn't really change much with the exception of Chiyotairyu now being in the running, which is a good twist.

Takanoyama: Take a look at sumo reference and the matches where he wins by tottari this basho. Notice anything similar between his opponents? Clever boy.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Takanoyama: Take a look at sumo reference and the matches where he wins by tottari this basho. Notice anything similar between his opponents? Clever boy.

I am probably missing something obvious, but I'll bite - what? All I can gather is that they are fat, slow, and have big mantitties. Granted, that is pretty much everyone in sumo when compared to Takanoyama.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

seorin posted:

Asahishou vs. Miyabiyama: Was that a rare display of emotion by Miyabiyama at the end there?
Even though you couldn't see his face, it sure looked like a heartfelt gently caress or something.

As for Homasho, a combination of the sanyaku meatgrinder and an injured arm is probably the cause for his disappointing performance.

Kakuryu v Myogiryu, looks like he finally found his lucky mawashi, pity he's already on 8 losses. Limiting the damage to that might keep him in sanyaku though.

Kotoshogiku v Harumafuji, awful tachiai by Harumafuji, keenly exploited by Kotoshogiku.

Hakuhou vs. Kotooshuu, Kotooshu was much better than usual, although I can't quite shake the feeling that Hakuho ran out of steam in the end. That last push over the rope seemed a little too easy.

Dr.Radical posted:

They're all falling for his quasi-henka, sort of judo throw where he exploits his opponents kinetic energy to the max?

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 22, 2012

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

They're all falling for his quasi-henka, sort of judo throw where he exploits his opponents kinetic energy to the max?

Well that and they're all really top heavy. He didn't seem to try it on lighter, more mobile guys he could go toe to toe with.

Edit: He uses his head, is what I'm saying! I like that. But I guess he has to at his size. Kind of reminds me of Mainoumi.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 22, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit: He uses his head, is what I'm saying! I like that. But I guess he has to at his size. Kind of reminds me of Mainoumi.

Very true. The easiest way to beat Takanoyama is to ask yourself which weakness he'll exploit. For most it involves his quickness, so a charging tachiai is often a really dumb idea.

Top heavy... I was close enough with "slow" and "man titties".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 12 is up.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
This really has been a great basho! Also, Masunoyama is a beast for rejecting surgery I just hope he doesn't keel over one day!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goeido v Shohozan, Goeido really seems spent. Shohozan might make sanyaku and if so, and maybe he'll be a more stable fixture there than the previous batches of komosubi.

Kakuryu v Aminishiki, Kakuryu has been meh all basho, nursing an injury as well maybe?

Myogiryu v Harumafuji, Myogiryu definitely found his lucky mawashi.

Also, Masunoyama :stare:. Heart problems and still competing at such a level, :golfclap:. Hopefully not undergoing surgery won't be the end of him, although I kind of get his reasons for not doing it. Recovery from heart surgery is probably going to take quite a while and drop him way, way down.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Just Winging It posted:

Also, Masunoyama :stare:. Heart problems and still competing at such a level, :golfclap:. Hopefully not undergoing surgery won't be the end of him, although I kind of get his reasons for not doing it. Recovery from heart surgery is probably going to take quite a while and drop him way, way down.

Probably a stupid question, but why doesn't sumo have something like a disabled list? It seems ridiculous that he's competing with a hole in his heart because his ranking would be so badly effected.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Probably a stupid question, but why doesn't sumo have something like a disabled list? It seems ridiculous that he's competing with a hole in his heart because his ranking would be so badly effected.

If I remember correctly, you can pull out of a basho before it starts due to injury or illness or one time without it effecting your rank and then after that it does. They used to have a disabled list like you're saying but they were afraid people were using it to coast. Personally, I think they should really reinstate it and then make it on a case by case basis. Someone like Masunoyama should really, really loving be able to do this. It's just way too dangerous. A guy like that not wanting to get healthy because it'll gently caress up his ranking is a tragedy waiting to happen. It seems like that's what it would take for the Kyokai to realize this which is extremely hosed up. They don't change the rules until some scandal hits or some horrible thing happens.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Day 13

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goeido v Kotooshu, Kotooshu was phoning it in badly, but then again given his track record, who would've expected otherwise after he got his eight win.

Kakuryu v Harumafuji, fancy throw sumo doesn't seem to be working for Harumafuji. Sticking to his bulldozer blitz style that got him his promotion would probably have better results.

Hakuho v Kisenosato, at least this time Hakuho doesn't bust out the humiliating henka in response to Kisenosato jumping the gun :v:, though he still gives off that Asashoryu vibe.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 24, 2012

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Just Winging It posted:

On some level I'm kinda glad we now have a real reason for his endurance issue. "Small lungs" always struck me as one of those things you say when you need an excuse but don't have one. But, yeah, seriously dude: get that fixed.

Just Winging It posted:

Kakuryu v Harumafuji, fancy throw sumo doesn't seem to be working for Harumafuji. Sticking to his bulldozer blitz style that got him his promotion would probably have better results.

It looked like Harumafuji was having trouble with grip on the ground. Whether it's because the dohyo was slippery or Kakuryu was keeping him off balance I don't know, but he sure didn't look comfortable or confident in his ability to push off.

Does the surface of the dohyo degrade over the course of a basho, or do they do maintenance between days to keep it in shape?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 14

Kotoshogiku vs Kyokutenho: This basho kinda ran out of steam early, eh? Hopefully January is better.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Is the bandaging on Tochinoshin's upper arms there for medical reasons, wrestling reasons or to cover up tattoos?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm thinking wrestling. Kinda like a lot of guys will have tape on their feet or right below their knees. I would assume that you couldn't even enter sumo if you had any tattoos.

Chiyotairyu: I really liked that win. He seemed to have realized that he wasn't going to win by pushing so he went to the belt where he could better utilize Gagamaru's weight and balance.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Yokozuna, kind of an anti-climax this. Hopefully Harumafuji gets his shits straightened out for January and overcome this seeming return of his more erratic days. Maybe they'll put on a good performance on the last day to compensate for the early conclusion and general lack of suspense.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Oh man last day comment: I really hope Kintamayama captures the dance that the wrestlers do before the last three matches because Goeido hosed it up hardcore hahaha

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kikkoman posted:

Oh man last day comment: I really hope Kintamayama captures the dance that the wrestlers do before the last three matches because Goeido hosed it up hardcore hahaha
Oh yes he did, day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDmHXamM0Ic.

Yoshikaze v Wakanosato, if you're going to throw the match, at least try and make it look legit. :tinfoil:.

Shohozan v Aran, Shohozan getting the kantosho seems fair enough. Hopefully he'll do well as a sanyaku next tournament.

Kotoshogiku v Goeido, it seems that Kotoshogiku hasn't fully recovered from his injury just yet, giving it up real easy at end like that is just strange. At least his sumo skills are better than his dancing skills :v:.

Hakuho v Harumafuji, while there was nothing at stake here (except the phonebook sized wad of prize money), they've put out a good fight. It doesn't make up for a lack of tension, but it helps.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

drat, Goeido, that was embarrassing. It isn't exactly the Riverdance that you have to do up there.

That wasn't the best basho overall, but it had plenty of drama and new developments in the plot. Both Kotos hung on to Ozeki by a thread with 9-6 and 8-7 records, with Baruto kyujo'ing himself down to Sekiwake for the first time since reaching Ozeki in May 2010. Myogiryu wasn't his best, Homasho and Okinoumi will plunge back down the ranks, and Goeido all of a sudden has risen up as the current most-likely next Ozeki candidate (not counting Baruto's return).

No kadobans in January to keep an eye on, but I'll be rooting for Baruto to do well enough to regain Ozeki. That'll be really tough with 2 Yokozuna and 5 Ozeki in his way. Also, can Harumafuji return to his Mongolian Missile style of sumo that we saw in his showdown with Hakuho, lest he head down the road of becoming the most disappointing Yokozuna since Wakanohana?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I can't believe Harumafuji just tanked it like that. I almost feel like he won't get it back into gear though I do hope so.

I'm hoping Baruto can get back up to Ozeki but if he keeps damaging his knees that would seem unlikely especially with two Yokozuna as stated.

Also you can mark me down as a Masunoyama fan especially after hearing about his condition. It looked like his arm was not working and he was going to collapse but he really explodes from the tachi-ai and gives it a good show.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey, I'm having trouble finding the video someone posted once of Chiyonofuji's 53 wins in a row. My searching has turned up nothing.

Paratan
Jan 1, 2008

it's sumo, folks
I'm not sure which specific video you mean, but I definitely have the national art of sumo featuring Chiyonofuji's streak on faves, here's a link:
http://youtu.be/T8rSSUgioHM?t=12m44s
12:44 dohyo iri and it just goes into it
It only has Japanese subtitles though.

edit:
found that exact part again, just clipped into its own youtube vid:
http://youtu.be/DsqtyeFOXlM

Paratan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
That's it! Thanks!