Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FoolishLobster posted:

Not sure if posted yet, but you can play Wii U games from an SD card by using a USB SD card adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaBQFRsWxeo

SD cards have limited read/writes just like flash memory thumbdrives don't they? It probably wouldn't be recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

greatn posted:

Oh wait, I see what you mean, that wouldn't do anything. Can you press play on a Wii remote?

I'm not totally certain but I'm pretty sure Netflix automatically disconnects all the Wiimotes when you start it up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Seaniqua posted:

I'm not totally certain but I'm pretty sure Netflix automatically disconnects all the Wiimotes when you start it up.

My low tech solution is turn the stand facing the opposite direction until they fix it.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
If the Gamepad can turn itself off while I'm watching regular TV why isn't there an option for when I'm watching Netflix? Probably because the system is on right? They really need to patch an option to turn off the Gamepad when it's not being regularly used.

I know there is the option under settings to turn it off but the settings screen menu won't go away if you're trying to watch Netflix and if you press a button on the Gamepad it comes back on.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I found it quite interesting that it lists 3DS eShop games in the eShop.

Also, has anyone played Puddle? It isn't available yet but it shows up on the eShop. Reminds me of World of Goo.

I really hope to see a robust Indie shop selection. More games like Journey please!

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

SyRauk posted:

If the Gamepad can turn itself off while I'm watching regular TV why isn't there an option for when I'm watching Netflix? Probably because the system is on right? They really need to patch an option to turn off the Gamepad when it's not being regularly used.

I know there is the option under settings to turn it off but the settings screen menu won't go away if you're trying to watch Netflix and if you press a button on the Gamepad it comes back on.

On a similar note, it would be nice if it were possible to shut off the screen for games in which it is unneeded. While playing NSMBU on my TV for example, I really don't need it to display the exact same image on a handheld that I am not even looking at.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Underwhelmed posted:

On a similar note, it would be nice if it were possible to shut off the screen for games in which it is unneeded. While playing NSMBU on my TV for example, I really don't need it to display the exact same image on a handheld that I am not even looking at.

I also agree with this. I want to get as much life out of my Gamepad as possible.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how are people taking screenshots and posting them to Miiverse?

I played a bit of Assassins Creed 3 today. Is it a common complaint that the controls are clunky, or is it just something I need to get used to? It feels like the game has its own opinion on what actions it will let you perform as you go.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So the EB Games closest to me apparently has the deluxe in stock, and I want to go pick it up, but I have some questions before I go do so.

The Wii U only has HDMI out right? I only have an old CRT TV, is there any way I can use that, or do I have to use a modern HDTV?

And how widespread does the freezing issue seem to be, and on which version of the console does it seem to be? Just the basic, both, or what? That's a bit of a concern to me.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Tyty posted:

The Wii U only has HDMI out right? I only have an old CRT TV, is there any way I can use that, or do I have to use a modern HDTV?

And how widespread does the freezing issue seem to be, and on which version of the console does it seem to be? Just the basic, both, or what? That's a bit of a concern to me.

The Wii U sports both HDMI and AV multi outs, but only includes an HDMI cable. You can use the old Wii cables if you have them, or purchase a third-party or official Nintendo cable to connect to a component or composite input.

I don't know how widespread the freezing is. I have a deluxe unit and it has not frozen once; I don't think it's possible to actually know how common it is though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

SD cards have limited read/writes just like flash memory thumbdrives don't they? It probably wouldn't be recommended.

It's not a huge deal, they don't wear out that fast unless you're maintaining something with constant rewrites like an SQL database on there. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not of shoddy manufacture quality. Although, the reader and card's speed are something to keep an eye on, but theoretically you could get a pretty big and pretty fast SD card.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

J-Spot posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how are people taking screenshots and posting them to Miiverse?

Just enter the Miiverse while playing a game and it will automatically capture a screenshot that you can post.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

J-Spot posted:

Whenever you click the home button, a screen cap is automatically made. Click your home button, go to miiverse, and when you compose a post you'll see that there's an option to include a screenshot. It gives you the option to include a picture from the TV or a picture from the gamepad.

edit: efb

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On the subject of storage can someone link me a good sized, cheap external harddrive? Will I always need a Y-cable with them to get it to work or can I find one with a external power cord?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Seaniqua posted:

Whenever you click the home button, a screen cap is automatically made. Click your home button, go to miiverse, and when you compose a post you'll see that there's an option to include a screenshot. It gives you the option to include a picture from the TV or a picture from the gamepad.

Radnor posted:

Just enter the Miiverse while playing a game and it will automatically capture a screenshot that you can post.
Thanks to you both! I've gone to Miiverse from a game before and totally missed that option.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

On the subject of storage can someone link me a good sized, cheap external harddrive? Will I always need a Y-cable with them to get it to work or can I find one with a external power cord?

I don't have any recommendations handy for you, but as for your other question: 2.5" ("portable" or laptop-size) drives may need a Y-cable to function or may work without. Nintendo won't guarantee that they will work without but it's likely that it will be fine if the drive doesn't include one.
3.5" drives are desktop-sized and will not work without a power cord of their own, but since they are self powered the Wii U will be able to read them just fine.

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

I tought the whole idea of having user accounts was to separate each user's data and saved games? Then why does NSMBWU only allows 3 saves and they are shared with all users?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
After playing around with it for a while, I gotta say I'm enjoying the console a lot. Of the few complaints I have about it, the only one that stands out involves the Wii transfer tying the downloads to the console rather than an account. It isn't too much of a big deal at the moment; as my youngest brother owns the console and not myself, I can just wait until I grab one of my own down the road before I actually transfer anything. The other thing would be how the Nintendo Network ID system works at the moment, but I figure they'll do "something" eventually to resolve that whole "tying the account to the console" issue. This just means I don't have to buy anything from the eShop until further notice.

Miiverse rules, even though most of my posts are bad drawings of "Gotta Go Fast" Fan Art Sonic with a crudly-drawn Mario cap on him giving advice on specific stages in NSMBU where you, in fact, have to go fast to get star coins. Folks on there can draw on a tablet, kinda crazy what kind of drawings people can make with that limited amount of drawing space.

Anybody actually try playing older Wii titles online yet? I know there aren't many, but I figure it's something to test out.

Ancillary Drone
Nov 30, 2004

fast hackem

SyRauk posted:

They really need to patch an option to turn off the Gamepad when it's not being regularly used.

Folks, until this happens (and even after it does) make sure you plug in your charging station and keep in nearby. Get used to setting the Pad on the charging station when you arent using it whether the screen is on or not.

Get up to eat? Piss? Put it in on the charger.

So far I havent had to plug in the pad while using it, although I've gotten the red flashing led of doom a couple of times.

Ancillary Drone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 20, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, I compulsively put my Gamepad in the charging dock whenever I'm not using it, instead of just setting it down somewhere. Keep it on a table near your couch or chair, instead of with the console.

Also, get the dock if you bought the basic set, it's a must-have that should have been included in both.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've played Nintendoland for a few hours and it has only frozen on me once.

It just seems like a bug in the game; some game somewhere can generally hardlock pretty much any system in the right conditions.

Hopefully it's not such a weird/off case that they are able to reproduce and patch it.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm a little ignorant about HDMI cables but is the one included able to give you the best display possible? Is there much of a difference between HDMI cables?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There is no difference in display quality between different HDMI cables. It either works or doesn't.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Well you can get gold plated connectors on there, that gives you a few more pixels </BestBuy>

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

So, I'm assuming it's not possible to play a game on the gamepad and have Netflix running on the TV, right?

Also, are there more options for making Miis? Like, new face parts or accessories or anything?

Ancillary Drone
Nov 30, 2004

fast hackem

BowieFett posted:

So, I'm assuming it's not possible to play a game on the gamepad and have Netflix running on the TV, right?

Also, are there more options for making Miis? Like, new face parts or accessories or anything?

Right.

And no, but it does give you the option of starting a Mii by taking a photograph of your face the way the 3DS does. This has given me way better looking Mii's than my originals.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Man the 2nd level for Donkey Kong's Crash Course looks a lot more scary than it actually is. I got to stage 7 on the first serious try. A lot of creative mechanics in it though. The rotating ramps is like something out of Sonic.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

BowieFett posted:

That was one of the first things I tried to do but I couldn't find a way so I assume no.

I don't believe there are new Mii options, looks about the same as the 3DS Mii creator. I was hoping my Mario hat I unlocked would transfer over as well but no.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

BowieFett posted:

Right, there's only a few software programs that can run alongside games (they're the ones in the Home menu).

Nintendo TVii will be one of them, but I think that'll mostly just serve as an index/aggregator/launcher for the actual video streaming programs.

EDIT: oh yeah, and even those programs don't allow you to play the game while using them so forget my babbling.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 20, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ancillary Drone posted:

Right.

And no, but it does give you the option of starting a Mii by taking a photograph of your face the way the 3DS does. This has given me way better looking Mii's than my originals.

I think the automatic thing has been improved too; I tried it for fun despite having one on my 3DS that I used and it didn't make me take off my glasses or make my eyes tiny (the 3DS one likes to make eyes tiny). It's also way faster, which makes sense considering the U is like 100x+ faster than the 3DS.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There is no difference in display quality between different HDMI cables. It either works or doesn't.

Not to derail here, but that's not entirely true. HDMI isn't on or off like people think it is. There are levels of signal degradation that occur if you use cheap, long cables. Most common problem is HDMI snow.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Legdiian posted:

Not to derail here, but that's not entirely true. HDMI isn't on or off like people think it is. There are levels of signal degradation that occur if you use cheap, long cables. Most common problem is HDMI snow.

Yeah...no.

This comes into play at 25 Metres or longer which 99% of the population is never going to encounter.

Use the one that comes in the box and if you need an extra buy it from where ever you can find it cheapest. 25 meters or more? Just get a cable with an amplifier for the signal. Anything out side of this is nothing more than fluff people use to justify wasting their money.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Downloading sonic racing, browsing the forums on the pad, and watching it's always sunny in philadelphia on the living room tv.

gently caress the haters this system owns. Although I am too scared to play zombiu for extended periods of time :ohdear:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's updating and oh man I'm super excited but I gotta study a whole bunch and then go work out and wake up early tomorrow but I need to get my NSMBU on and draw a bunch of poorly done pictures of Mario.
Haven't felt this way since I got the SNES.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, is anyone else getting a lockup in Mario U when they beat the first desert level and that little guy runs off from the toad house? I've locked up twice in the same spot :( Can't continue playing the game as a result.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 20, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

flyboi posted:

Orochi 3 stuff from like 5 pages ago

Were you able to pick a level you hadn't finished yet for online play? The PS3/360 version had this ridiculous restriction where you weren't allowed to play a stage online until after you had completed it once already.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's definitely something up with the HDMI on my Wii U. I'm noticing a periodic black screen that lasts maybe one second and then goes back to normal from time to time. I've never noticed it with my xbox (I do have an HDMI splitter) and have noticed with my PS3 (entirely cable related). I might try just swapping the cables to see if that fixes it, but I find the odds of Nintendo shipping a unit with a faulty HDMI cable to be highly unlikely.

E: well, I swapped cables and it stopped. Looks like it's either the hub (unlikely since 4 devices are hooked up and the other 3 are fine, or a faulty cable). Oh well, I appreciate the effort Nintendo!

Akileese fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrMoose posted:

So, is anyone else getting a lockup in Mario U when they beat the first desert level and that little guy runs off from the toad house? I've locked up twice in the same spot :( Can't continue playing the game as a result.

Disc or Download?

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

DoctorWhat posted:

Disc or Download?

Disc.

Some research seems to show that multiple people are having locks and freezes, I just find it strange that I got one in the same spot twice. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Disc-based and crashing in the same spot suggests a dirty/damaged/faulty disc, but I guess we won't really know for sure where crashes are coming from until Nintendo offers a statement or patch.

• Locked thread