Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm glad I'm not the only one getting low gravity readings like 1.004. Both of my Dubbels finished that low, then again they each had 2 pounds of sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting low gravity readings like 1.004. Both of my Dubbels finished that low, then again they each had 2 pounds of sugar.

I seem to recall you saying you fermented those fairly hot as well; not to parrot BCS again, but he does suggest pitching at 64 and only getting up to 70 at max.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Angry Grimace posted:

I seem to recall you saying you fermented those fairly hot as well; not to parrot BCS again, but he does suggest pitching at 64 and only getting up to 70 at max.

Yeah we messed that up a bit, we set the heater for 71 without recognizing (we knew it though) that the fermentation would be hotter than the ambient. Both have Belgians nice banana notes but don't really taste it, thankfully. We've since set the ambient temperature at 63 in the room so our IPA we just brewed should be at a comfortable 68 while fermenting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

Yeah we messed that up a bit, we set the heater for 71 without recognizing (we knew it though) that the fermentation would be hotter than the ambient. Both have Belgians nice banana notes but don't really taste it, thankfully. We've since set the ambient temperature at 63 in the room so our IPA we just brewed should be at a comfortable 68 while fermenting.

71 (meaning 74 or so in the beer?) is not crazy hot. I've done it many times (just putting beer in the closet in the summer) and I never get that low. My guess just based on what you've said is that your low gravity is a combination of several things that lead to low FGs, i.e. mashing low, higher temps and a lot of simple sugar. (Unless there's brettanomyces or something involved)

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Angry Grimace posted:

I hate to give you a non-answer, but I definitely recall seeing a thread on some forum that explained how much to use per how much gravity, but I can't seem to find it. I'll look for it a bit later and let you know if I find it. The only thing I found in a cursory google search was malto-dextrin on Palmer's yield table.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

Cool. Thanks. I looked around for a bit on Google but couldn't find anything terribly helpful other than "add it when you bottle."

Midorka posted:

I also used WLP 090 which has a pretty high attenuation. It's my understanding that what happened with my fermentation is probably fairly standard, although I probably didn't maintain the best temperature control. I couldn't get my carboy into a tub of water until several hours after fermentation started. I think my mash temp was probably a bit low too.

Whodat Smith-Jones fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 19, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

71 (meaning 74 or so in the beer?) is not crazy hot. I've done it many times (just putting beer in the closet in the summer) and I never get that low. My guess just based on what you've said is that your low gravity is a combination of several things that lead to low FGs, i.e. mashing low, higher temps and a lot of simple sugar. (Unless there's brettanomyces or something involved)

Nah there's no infections, everything is spot on in the beer. I'm just guessing that it's mmostly due to the amount of simple sugars. Both beers taste pretty excellent, I just remember earlier in the thread though many people saying low FG like 1.004 was a bad sign and it's reassuring to see others have it too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

Nah there's no infections, everything is spot on in the beer. I'm just guessing that it's mmostly due to the amount of simple sugars. Both beers taste pretty excellent, I just remember earlier in the thread though many people saying low FG like 1.004 was a bad sign and it's reassuring to see others have it too.

1.004 isn't necessarily a bad sign, its just a number you don't typically get to without doing things to get that low. I mean, some beers like certain saisons are supposed to finish that low (although they often don't)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Actually, over the last year, I found that sourcing significant amounts of Centennial was a real pain in the rear end and I'm starting to think I should pick up a pound or two now.
One place to keep an eye on is this seller on eBay; over the last week or two he's had pound bags of whole hop Centennial go out of stock and then back in stock a couple of times. (My pound should be coming today! :D )

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

As other have said waiting until the pot is cooler before adding ice will help because heat flow is a function of the difference in temperature. At the beginning the wort is already boiling hot so relatively cool hose water will be perfectly suitable. Adding ice at this stage would technically reduce the temperature but you would quickly lose your ice. Near the end the hose water is closer to the temperature of the wort so you need a boost, hence the ice.
You're right about this but I think we should clarify the wording. "...waiting until the pot is cooler before adding it to the ice...".

A friend of mine used an immersion chiller and used a pump to recirculate a cooler filled with water. He'd always wait until the end to add ice to his cooler justifying it by saying that because the chiller water was now warmest, it could now benefit more from the ice, because the temperature difference was greatest. Of course, in his setup, it made no difference due to it being a fixed amount of heat absorbing material being added to the closed system.

But in a system where the exit of the chiller is just dumped, yeah, definitely wait until the exhaust water is closer to room temperature before putting the kettle in ice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

nmfree posted:

One place to keep an eye on is this seller on eBay; over the last week or two he's had pound bags of whole hop Centennial go out of stock and then back in stock a couple of times. (My pound should be coming today! :D )

I generally prefer pellets, which right now are pretty easy to get for varieties that are not Simcoe, Amarillo or Citra. It just becomes a pain later on and who knows when the harvest is really from (although in reality pellets keep for a very long time)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nmfree posted:

Just make sure there's no dead birds in your bag before you start brewing.

:barf:https://twitter.com/ericlanouilh/status/269807826485002240

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Sirotan posted:

Well I guess that makes me feel worse about using pellet hops

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmmm citrusy-bird notes in my beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think "Belma" is the worst hop varietal name ever. Was "Old Auntie Agatha's old-tyme hoppes" taken already?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

I am sure this is how SARS starts.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

zedprime posted:

I am sure this is how SARS starts.

Bittering additions would be no problem because of the boil. I'd be worried if I were dry-birding, though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

Bittering additions would be no problem because of the boil. I'd be worried if I were dry-birding, though.

You and me both. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/legondary-cock-ale-278874/

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Angry Grimace posted:

1.004 isn't necessarily a bad sign, its just a number you don't typically get to without doing things to get that low. I mean, some beers like certain saisons are supposed to finish that low (although they often don't)

It also depends on how long of a fermentation you do. If you do a full 3-4 weeks it's not uncommon to get into the single digits.

When I did my Ginger ale the gravity dropped all the way to 1.002 (I used 3# of honey and 1# of sugar, which is what pushed it so low) using US-05

When I bottled my Rhubarb beer the gravity was at 1.006 after 8 weeks using US-05. Yea 8 weeks is a long rear end time but September-November was ridiculously busy and my basement is pretty cold so autolysis was probably 6 months away anyway.

During the winter my ambient basement temp is about 50-55*F and so far I haven't seen any adverse effects besides fermentation taking a little longer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

When he couldn't get rotisserie and just bought KFC, I lost it. That's great hustle.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Thinking about brewing a weizenbock because I just remembered how good Aventinus is--and I have to have something to drink in the winter besides stouts, right?

Here's a first shot at a recipe:

2.5 gal, 60" boil, probably mash at like 154 for 60".

45% 3lb Weyermann Pale Wheat
45% 3lb Weyermann Dark Munich
8% 8oz Weyermann CaraMunich III
2% 2oz Weyermann Carafa III

1 oz Hallertau @ 60" for 18.5 IBU

1.073 OG to 1.018 FG with WY3068, giving 7.3%. A little weaker than Aventinus but I'm OK with that.

Does that seem decent/does anyone else have a good recipe? I couldn't figure out how to get it suitably dark using German ingredients without adding the Carafa (Hopville claims this is 22 SRM, but only 13 SRM without it), but it seems like there should be a way. I'm all ears on ways to do that or other yeasts I should use instead of the standard hefe yeast.

Edit: Thinking about switching out the Carafa for 2 oz each of melanoidin and chocolate, and using WY3333 instead of 3068...

Scythe fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 20, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

When he couldn't get rotisserie and just bought KFC, I lost it. That's great hustle.

I'm glad that guy did that for my amusement.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got some imperial brown ready for bottling next week. Only been fermenting for 9 days, but the gravity is right. Giving it through Thanksgiving to settle a bit, then going to check to make sure gravity has finished dropping. Considering cold crashing and using gelatin, but I've never done that before and I'd be limited to sticking it outside for like 8-10 hours. I could just give it another week in the fermenter too. Any thoughts?

I used S-04, which has been a really amazing yeast. Pitched around 78-80, cooling to 72 the first day, temps went up to 78 on the outside by accident the second day, but since then I've managed to keep it around 65. That was some fast and furious fermenting for a while though! No crazy off flavors in the gravity sample, just a beautiful smooth brown with a nice bit of smokiness from some chocolate malt. That doesn't mean I don't need to work on my temp control, just got lucky with the style most likely.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am leaning towards a plate chillers setup. As far as plate chillers go is there really that huge of a difference between the Therminator and one of the cheaper options? Also should I just go with the March pump?

Finally is there a cheaper version of the Thermapen?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's a bit slower than a thermapen but this will work and is much cheaper and waterproof.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Galler posted:

It's a bit slower than a thermapen but this will work and is much cheaper and waterproof.
It's water resistant, which is different. When I left mine accidentally in a pool of water it didn't want to work again until I took the battery out and let it thoroughly dry out for a few days.

It's still a nice thermometer for brewing, though; the cheap Chinese knockoff I got fogged inside the display when I clipped it onto my brew pot.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Scythe posted:

Edit: Thinking about switching out the Carafa for 2 oz each of melanoidin and chocolate, and using WY3333 instead of 3068...

Either way you do that recipe looks good to me. I just did an oak aged weizenbock and used about 3% chocolate rye to get it dark. You could use chocolate wheat as well, I find either of those are a little less roasty than regular chocolate malt. I used the Wyeast 3333 in mine because I wanted little to no banana. I fermented at 64-66* and while I got no banana it's a little too restrained overall, so I'd ferment in the 66-70* range if you use it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Fresh cocoa nibs came in, I was planning on using 2 pounds of chocolate malt for a chocolate oatmeal milk stout which makes it 16% I'm thinking I should tone down the chocolate malt to 1 pound and age it on cocoa nibs. Any thoughts? I'm guessing I would sterilize the nibs by soaking in vodka overnight?

Also would a 8% of fermentables of milk sugar be too much? I see 10% is the max suggested on homebrewtalk, but I figured I'd see what people thought here. Basically I'm going for a sweet milk chocolate flavor with a light roasted malt backing.

I might as well link the recipe.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

Fresh cocoa nibs came in, I was planning on using 2 pounds of chocolate malt for a chocolate oatmeal milk stout which makes it 16% I'm thinking I should tone down the chocolate malt to 1 pound and age it on cocoa nibs. Any thoughts? I'm guessing I would sterilize the nibs by soaking in vodka overnight?

Also would a 8% of fermentables of milk sugar be too much? I see 10% is the max suggested on homebrewtalk, but I figured I'd see what people thought here. Basically I'm going for a sweet milk chocolate flavor with a light roasted malt backing.

I might as well link the recipe.

I have never made a Milk Stout, but as far as I can tell, you can just backsweeten the beer with lactose, meaning it seems like it would be prudent to start on the lower side and add more lactose until you reach the sweetness/mouthfeel level you want, as opposed to just dumping a ton of lactose in to begin with.

Oh, and as for the cocoa question, I've done cocoa before. Vodka for a while will sterilize, but you need to drop the vodka in as well since the alcohol will draw out a lot of the cocoa flavor from the nibs.

I'm a little confused by the chocolate malt thing - chocolate malt doesn't really taste anything like chocolate - it just tastes like heavily roasted malt and gives maybe a little bit of dark unsweetened chocolate flavor in small amounts. Nibs and chocolate malt have totally different flavors - nibs are not really roasty at all, they add a lot of chocolate aroma and some chocolate flavors (the impression of which I think would be enhanced in a sweet stout)

I agree that 2 pounds of chocolate malt seems like overkill; that is a lot of roasted malt considering that its a stout and probably also has some roasted barley and/or patent malt in there to get the right color contribution.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 20, 2012

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Midorka posted:

2# chocolate malt sounds like a lot, 1# + cacao should be more balanced.

I never bothered to sanitize cacao nibs but looking back on that I suppose it was a risk - should be a-ok to sanitize in vodka and pitch the whole thing in.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

nmfree posted:

It's water resistant, which is different. When I left mine accidentally in a pool of water it didn't want to work again until I took the battery out and let it thoroughly dry out for a few days.

It's still a nice thermometer for brewing, though; the cheap Chinese knockoff I got fogged inside the display when I clipped it onto my brew pot.
I was just going by the item description, but that should still be better than the Thermapen which is only "splash proof."

I know from experience that it's hard to avoid getting a Thermapen wet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I really like my RT600. I got one when I realized my other themometer was not really that accurate and I'm really impressed with the speed and accuracy I've gotten so far with the RT600.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Those IR thermometers with the laser sights don't work on liquids (or hot ones that steam up), right? Or that's what someone told me, was he full of crap?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kitten smoothie posted:

Those IR thermometers with the laser sights don't work on liquids (or hot ones that steam up), right? Or that's what someone told me, was he full of crap?
Unless you are spending enough to buy a few Thermapens, those things barely work on solid surfaces let alone liquids. Cheap IR thermometers are great when you think +-5 degrees is ideal.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I used to have an IR thermometer (not sure how cheap) that I used on a fish tank that was a lot more accurate than that. Maybe +-1° F.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

nmfree posted:

Leave it in a container of uncooked rice for a few days. Should remedy that.

I've plowed through my supply of beer on tap and have got about 30 bottles of miscellaneous beers to go through and 15 gallons waiting to be kegged/flavored/bottled.

Which brings me to my question. I plan on bourbon-oaking about a gallon of cider. I've already got the Hungarian oak cubes, and plan on picking up some 'Makers' but how much do I add for a gallon? Also, it's cider so I think a little will go a long way no? Should I just soak the cubes in bourbon, pull a sample and add to taste then scale?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Jacobey000 posted:

Which brings me to my question. I plan on bourbon-oaking about a gallon of cider. I've already got the Hungarian oak cubes, and plan on picking up some 'Makers' but how much do I add for a gallon? Also, it's cider so I think a little will go a long way no? Should I just soak the cubes in bourbon, pull a sample and add to taste then scale?

I'd go 3 oz personally, pour the cubes + bourbon and cross your fingers. Sounds amazingly delicious.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I brewed this the other day and it's for a winter warmer contest. I think it's coming along nicely, but I'm considering soaking some oak in Applejack Brandy and adding it to the secondary to give it a bit more of a winter vibe. I guess I'm just seeing if anyone has done this before and thoughts.

I thought it was just my hydrometer that liked to spin the opposite every loving time.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 21, 2012

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Welp I broke my hydrometer by having it on the brew stand and hitting it with a stainless quick disconnect tonight. That's ok, I hated that thing anyway. Is there somewhere that sells a hydrometer that only has the one scale, specific gravity on it? I swear whenever I go to look at it, the SG reading is around the back and then I knock it and it bobs around for a while and I get mad.

I want a hydrometer with specific gravity lines all the way around, reads from 0.090 to say 1.100, and maybe takes less than 250mL to read?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Looks like Northern Brewer has one accurate from 1.000 to 1.070 , best I can find in a quick search.

Edit: There's also this set which look super sweet but I don't really want to pay $70 for hydrometers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Looks like Northern Brewer has one accurate from 1.000 to 1.070 , best I can find in a quick search.
Whoa how did I miss that there? Good range, SG only, and made in the USA? How can I not buy that? Thanks!