Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've got a SSD on its way for my new 15" MBP.

Can I clone my existing HDD over to the SSD before I install? I have a USB enclosure.

Anything else I should know before I install it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've got a SSD on its way for my new 15" MBP.

Can I clone my existing HDD over to the SSD before I install? I have a USB enclosure.

Anything else I should know before I install it?

The old, free version of Carbon Copy Cloner will do the trick

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

The old, free version of Carbon Copy Cloner will do the trick

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

The "old, free" version will get support pulled for it soon and is only certified for Tiger and Leopard; it'll work for SL and up but don't bet the farm on it. In the author's words it is "not actively qualified for Snow Leopard and Lion" so if your poo poo doesn't get cloned right you've no one to cry to. Except Bob Morales.

Get SuperDuper if you want something for free that'll clone stuff including Mountain Lion.

Shirt Pocket Software posted:

You can download SuperDuper! v2.7.1 right now and back up and clone your drives for free— forever!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 20, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any weird "gotcha" type things I needed to be aware of.

Since CCC or SuperDuper can clone the existing HDD to the new SSD, I think I'm good to go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wonder what's going to happen with disk cloning when/if Fusion drives get popular.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

kuskus posted:

Although if replace the 3.5" drive in my Late 2009, I'm also hoping this $1.25 Apple 922-9158 will spare me software fan control.
I don't know if 922-9158 has the same connector. We use 922-9229s and they work great. As long as it's the same connector and it reports in the same voltage range, you're good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder what's going to happen with disk cloning when/if Fusion drives get popular.

It really seems to me that Fusion drives are destined to be short-lived. They exist now because people want storage capacity AND speed that is affordable. As SSDs get bigger and cheaper, the need for a hybrid solution will decrease.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

It really seems to me that Fusion drives are destined to be short-lived. They exist now because people want storage capacity AND speed that is affordable. As SSDs get bigger and cheaper, the need for a hybrid solution will decrease.

OEM pricing from Apple on a 2TB SSD isn't going to cost less than an entire MacBook Pro anytime soon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

OEM pricing from Apple on a 2TB SSD isn't going to cost less than an entire MacBook Pro anytime soon.

No, but how many people need 2TB of storage?

500GB may come standard in the next couple of refreshes. 256GB is already standard in a retina 15" MBP.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Binary Badger posted:

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

The "old, free" version will get support pulled for it soon and is only certified for Tiger and Leopard; it'll work for SL and up but don't bet the farm on it. In the author's words it is "not actively qualified for Snow Leopard and Lion" so if your poo poo doesn't get cloned right you've no one to cry to. Except Bob Morales.

Get SuperDuper if you want something for free that'll clone stuff including Mountain Lion.

A word of warning, Super Duper will not copy over the RecoveryHD partition/volume. The pay version of CCC will.

If you are using Super Duper, you will need to follow the instructions on this page to rebuild the Recovery HD. It looks complicated, but it is pretty easy actually:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/creating-an-updated-recovery-hd/

Running the scripts will not delete or destroy the active volume. I have done this on running systems.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Can always use OS X's Disk Utility.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's been mentioned before, but just putting a clean install of Lion / Mountain Lion on the new, blank disk/SSD and then using Migration Assistant to move everything over works wonders.

First, you don't have to deal with the Recovery HD bullshit as a new one is made during the install (assuming you're using the latest installer, 10.7.5 for Lion and 10.8.2 for Mountain Lion) and you're getting a fresh, clean system free of any cruft you might have gathered up until now. And Migration Assistant will repair permissions of a lot of things as it copies over stuff.

IMHO it's more reliable than doing a straight clone, and even with straight clones sometimes something fucks up. Never had any problems doing the MA route, have had some even using the pay version of CCC.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

It's been mentioned before, but just putting a clean install of Lion / Mountain Lion on the new, blank disk/SSD and then using Migration Assistant to move everything over works wonders.

IMHO it's more reliable than doing a straight clone, and even with straight clones sometimes something fucks up. Never had any problems doing the MA route, have had some even using the pay version of CCC.

I'll second this, I haven't done a diskdupe since like 10.4. Migration Assitant works exactly as advertised. I've dragged the same user account through about a dozen installs now.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

I don't know if 922-9158 has the same connector. We use 922-9229s and they work great. As long as it's the same connector and it reports in the same voltage range, you're good.
Well, fiddlesticks. This might explain why it's out of stock and/or $30-50 everywhere.

AlternateAccount posted:

On my late 2009, I just used a jumper wire out of an arduino kit and bridged across the connectors on the temp sensor, it's never made a peep. I can't imagine that the SSD gets hot enough for anything to care.
Can you point me to what you used? You joined the two pins in the 4-pin block connector that normally attaches to the "jumper" pins on your drive?

Thanks to both of you.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So I need 2.5" SSD if I want to put one in my MacBook Pro? That's what Google is apparently telling me, but I wanna check with the experts before I pull the plug (I'm no computer expert by any means).

e: I see there are disks called 2.5" x 1/8H, 2.5" and 2.5" Ultra Slim Line. The regular 2.5" is the way to go?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 21, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xabi posted:

So I need 2.5" SSD if I want to put one in my MacBook Pro? That's what Google is apparently telling me, but I wanna check with the experts before I pull the plug (I'm no computer expert by any means).

e: I see there are disks called 2.5" x 1/8H, 2.5" and 2.5" Ultra Slim Line. The regular 2.5" is the way to go?

Any 2.5" SSD will do. They come in different heights, however.

Almost all of them are 9.5mm, like the HD that's in your machine right now. 7mm is the next popular size for SSD's - those drives are thinner, and some laptops require them. There are also 12.5mm drives, if you've wondered why the larger 2.5" portable HD's are so 'fat', that's why. There are also 15mm drives according to Google but you won't find those in a laptop.

You can use a thinner drive, but a thicker one usually won't fit.

Also, you would be 'pulling the trigger'. 'Pulling the plug' would imply you are ending something.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm home for Thanksgiving and I figured I wanted to try the Guild Wars 2 Mac Beta client on my 2012 Macbook Air. I wasn't expecting anything, but it turns out it handles the game pretty well at minimum settings and is playable (at a low resolution, but w/e).

My Air gets really super hot while playing the game near my left hand and the fan goes crazy. I know it's doing its job to try to cool the computer, but should I at all be worried about overheating? I'm not going to be playing games on this a lot (really only this weekend), but I'd rather new screw up this computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doh004 posted:

I'm home for Thanksgiving and I figured I wanted to try the Guild Wars 2 Mac Beta client on my 2012 Macbook Air. I wasn't expecting anything, but it turns out it handles the game pretty well at minimum settings and is playable (at a low resolution, but w/e).

My Air gets really super hot while playing the game near my left hand and the fan goes crazy. I know it's doing its job to try to cool the computer, but should I at all be worried about overheating? I'm not going to be playing games on this a lot (really only this weekend), but I'd rather new screw up this computer.

You won't hurt it, it will clock down and adjust the fans to stay within proper temperature range.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

First, you don't have to deal with the Recovery HD bullshit as a new one is made during the install (assuming you're using the latest installer, 10.7.5 for Lion and 10.8.2 for Mountain Lion) and you're getting a fresh, clean system free of any cruft you might have gathered up until now. And Migration Assistant will repair permissions of a lot of things as it copies over stuff.

Growing up as a long time windows person I was naturally skeptical of MA. However, I've had a few harddrive failures in the past couple years and using MA with a time machine backup has been flawless.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Doh004 posted:

If it turns off, it's too hot. If it gets hot on the case, then the cooling system is doing precisely what it was made to do: move heat from inside the machine to outside.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kuskus posted:

Well, fiddlesticks. This might explain why it's out of stock and/or $30-50 everywhere.

Can you point me to what you used? You joined the two pins in the 4-pin block connector that normally attaches to the "jumper" pins on your drive?

Thanks to both of you.

It's been a little while and I was half asleep when I did it, but iirc, the cable looked like:

The part in the background plugs into the board and the front part plugs into the hard drive.
I had a bunch of these lying around, http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=130#.UK1Ct2dvKiw, so I just put one end in each hole and then taped the whole thing up nice and neat with electrical tape and stuck it somewhere.

edit: a little further reading shows me that there are actually different variants of that cable(http://files.macbidouille.com/mbv2/news/news_05_11/cables1.jpg) depending on what drive you have in your system. I just bridged the two holes that actually had wires going into them. ALSO, I know that someone out there was selling an external temperature sensor that would go into these blocks and that you could stick onto the casing of the drive like the older iMacs had, but if you're using an SSD, this is probably wasted money.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 21, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I bought this SSD for my new 15" MBP:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hype...53548449&sr=1-1

First, I tried placing it in a USB enclosure, but OSX didn't see it. Neither did Disk Utility. Another drive loaded just fine in the enclosure.

Just in case, I tried putting the SSD into the laptop itself. I booted up from a bootable OSX install USB disk, but the installer couldn't see the SSD either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this drive come to me DOA?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's DOA

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bob Morales posted:

Also, you would be 'pulling the trigger'. 'Pulling the plug' would imply you are ending something.
That's what happens if you listen to too much Death. Thanks for the SSD clarification.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Voodoo Cafe posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

It's a particular issue with your generation of MBP. Take it to a fruit stand/aasp, they'll run a test on it that'll tell you if you're covered for this particular part failure.

Thanks, for this. I just now had time to check the thread, and I'll take it in when I have a chance. The site you linked says:

Linked Site posted:

Apple will service affected 15-inch MacBook Pro computers free of charge until three years from date of purchase. Apple will provide further extensions to this program as needed. This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the affected MacBook Pro.

I purchased this computer in April or May 2010, so I'm within the 3 year window but didn't ever purchase the extended Apple Care. I've never been in for any services. Just to be clear are they referring to all machines, regardless of any warranty status? I don't have a fruitsand in my area, is there a way to test it my self before making the drive to bring it in?

iceslice fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 23, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

iceslice posted:

Just to be clear are they referring to all machines, regardless of any warranty status?

It's a similar concept to a auto recall, you get free of charge repair even if the Mac is past the 1 year standard warranty window.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any reason I shouldn't get a Time Capsule in the Black Friday sale today?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Lexicon posted:

Any reason I shouldn't get a Time Capsule in the Black Friday sale today?

If you don't need it.. Or the refurbs are cheaper.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd buy a NAS over a Time Capsule unless you really want an all in one solution with your router.

I love my Synology NAS and AEBS combo. Although Time Machine has been admittedly, less than reliable with the Synology so I have it do Time Machine to it and an external USB drive at my desk.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Time Capsules have twice the RAM and a slightly faster CPU than the AEBS, probably to tackle the extra load of streaming data to the hard drive, but as FlashBangBob says, unless you intend to put everything on one device, it probably isn't worth it. Also be aware the Time Capsule is a lot bigger than an AEBS and runs hotter, and still has an internal fan that is practically useless.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

I love my Synology NAS and AEBS combo. Although Time Machine has been admittedly, less than reliable with the Synology so I have it do Time Machine to it and an external USB drive at my desk.

I really like the idea in theory of using a NAS, but it's that sort of reliability bullshit that gives me pause. I just want frictionless backup that I don't need to think about - and Time Capsule, despite its drawbacks, sounds like the best option.

I'm not actually wild about the idea of coupling backup to a router, but it just seems like the least bad of available options for a household with 2 (soon to be 3) Macs - only one of which is operated by a nerd (me).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lexicon posted:

I really like the idea in theory of using a NAS, but it's that sort of reliability bullshit that gives me pause. I just want frictionless backup that I don't need to think about - and Time Capsule, despite its drawbacks, sounds like the best option.

I'm not actually wild about the idea of coupling backup to a router, but it just seems like the least bad of available options for a household with 2 (soon to be 3) Macs - only one of which is operated by a nerd (me).

Have you considered some sort of online cloud backup? Carbonite, Crashplan, Backblaze?

I've used both Carbonite and Crashplan and they're seamless.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you considered some sort of online cloud backup? Carbonite, Crashplan, Backblaze?

I've used both Carbonite and Crashplan and they're seamless.

Actually, I signed up for Crashplan today as they have an absurd 98% off (!) for one year sale.

Maybe I won't bother with a Time Capsule - occasional external drive backup coupled with CrashPlan is probably more than sufficient.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I really wish I could, like, install Crashplan on my Time Capsule and have automated backups of the internal drive to the cloud. Only useful for people who actually use the internal drive for storage, which is nobody but me, so it probably won't happen :smithcloud:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

I really wish I could, like, install Crashplan on my Time Capsule and have automated backups of the internal drive to the cloud. Only useful for people who actually use the internal drive for storage, which is nobody but me, so it probably won't happen :smithcloud:

How are the transfer speeds when you access the Time Capsule for storage? Good enough to watch a movie?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

You *might* be able to do it with backblaze. They allow you to back up external drives to the cloud for nothing extra. I think it's supposed to be only drives that are connected to your computer, but you might be able to get it to work with the capsule. I've been using them for years and haven't had a problem.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ideally, I'd have a reliable NAS based Time Machine backup that then backed up to a cloud service. But as far as I can tell, they're all too expensive for me.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Lexicon posted:

How are the transfer speeds when you access the Time Capsule for storage? Good enough to watch a movie?

Yeah definitely good enough for video. I just benchmarked mine and got 17.3MB/s write, 23.1MB/s read, wifi performance is probably the bottleneck. Any operation that involves a bunch of small files tends to choke though. So like, there's big delays listing and loading previews of directories with a bunch of individual files. Because Finder is poo poo and sucks at handling delays like that it can get annoying.

RE: Using a cloud backup service with the network share, it works (with Crashplan) but it's just slow as hell and doesn't work right with my sometimes-on always-moving MacBook.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm set on getting the 15" RMBP in three months which will require me to get rid of my desktop PC. I was okay w iOS, but the more I think about it, the harder I find it to let go of my PC Steam game collection. Obviously there's the Bootcamp route, but not being an Apple user, I'm easily swayed by various opinions from folks that do own them, and they seem to fall broadly into "don't ever Bootcamp your Mac, it'll spoil it/destroy the HDD/kill performance". Is there any truth to that?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only problem with running two OSs on a RMBP (as someone who has one) is I can't imagine putting two OSs on this small of a hard drive. I'm already down to just 90 something gigs remaining, and that's just my iTunes library and 3 Steam games (Bastion, The Walking Dead, Binding of Isaac).

I haven't done Boot Camp yet, since my last computer was a Hackintosh that I turned straight over to Windows 7 when I got this one. From a quick Google search it seems that if you wanted to do Boot Camp, then it must be on that same drive as OS X. Which is too bad, because I would suggest getting an external USB drive otherwise. But then you'd need a virtualization program instead.

I think the only real times people say "don't run Windows on Apple hardware" is when the person says they want to run Windows exclusively.