Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How does it stack up against the demo for Metal Gear Rising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Uncle Wemus posted:

How does it stack up against the demo for Metal Gear Rising?

Not even a candle.

Good lord I was expecting it to be bad and it satisfied all of my expectations. It literally is Heavenly blade with a jump button and ranged attacks.

VVV It was to make this game more mature and character driven

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 20, 2012

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
The major profanity usage I've been seeing in the gameplay clips online seems so childish. Why are video game writers so consistently bad? I don't even care about his broski theme, but the God damned profanity is so lazy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not even a candle.

Good lord I was expecting it to be bad and it satisfied all of my expectations. It literally is Heavenly blade with a jump button and ranged attacks.

VVV It was to make this game more mature and character driven

Done. The fact somebody brought up that comparison just made me say Done.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

The major profanity usage I've been seeing in the gameplay clips online seems so childish. Why are video game writers so consistently bad?

The best part?

DmC Head Ninja posted:

...On top of those foundations, we are adding gameplay elements that complement combat such as elaborate traversal, a more dynamic world and a videogame story, which hopefully for once, treats us like sophisticated adults.

They're convinced that this story and dialogue will raise the bar on video game narratives. Ha ha ha ha.
And for the longest time, this is all they talked about; not the actual gameplay or anything like that. Just the story and how it's a character study, and satire on society and blah blah blah.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 20, 2012

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

I can't get over how terrible the game looks. The presentation is the definition of "edgy", and the gameplay looks dull and filled with tiny cutscene attacks -- not what I expect from DMC.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
NT is the same company that thought Monkey kicking someone to their death who was merely trying to save themselves made him look like a bad-rear end, the person brought in to help re-write told them it just makes monkey look like a oval office.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Bad as it is, I expect the regular big reviewers to treat this turd favorably. Look at how everyone that's got a shot at actually playing the thing has reacted thus far. I'm expecting it to come in at around a 7 or 8 at most places, if that even means anything anymore. Evidently none of the people in the "industry" that have gotten their paws on it remember the old DMC games.

\/\/\/EDIT:\/\/\/
Ah, games move closer to just being a series of QTEs every year. Shenmue- curse you for releasing this plague upon us all :argh:

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 20, 2012

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Alteisen posted:

NT is the same company that thought Monkey kicking someone to their death who was merely trying to save themselves made him look like a bad-rear end, the person brought in to help re-write told them it just makes monkey look like a oval office.

Got a link or anything? I want to hear this story.

Watching that link. I absolutely laughed when the player was trying to...Devil Lift (Angel Lift = you go to it, so devil lift is = it comes to you) a platform, but was to far away. So the player thought, "I know, I'll chain together double jump, boost, devil lift the platform and then angel lift onto it all while in midair."

Haha silly player. That might actually make it interesting!

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

User0015 posted:

Watching that link. I absolutely laughed when the player was trying to...Devil Lift (Angel Lift = you go to it, so devil lift is = it comes to you) a platform, but was to far away. So the player thought, "I know, I'll chain together double jump, boost, devil lift the platform and then angel lift onto it all while in midair."

Yeah, this is one of the many things that bugged the hell out of me in the demo. Why go to all the trouble of adding platforming and grappling when you can only grab stuff so long as you're standing on a specific ledge or piece of ground?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

Bad as it is, I expect the regular big reviewers to treat this turd favorably. Look at how everyone that's got a shot at actually playing the thing has reacted thus far. I'm expecting it to come in at around a 7 or 8 at most places, if that even means anything anymore. Evidently none of the people in the "industry" that have gotten their paws on it remember the old DMC games.

\/\/\/EDIT:\/\/\/
Ah, games move closer to just being a series of QTEs every year. Shenmue- curse you for releasing this plague upon us all :argh:

That's because they don't, 90% of the previews say they never played the other ones but THIS IS JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER and you're all stupid for not liking it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Why go to all the trouble of adding platforming and grappling when you can only grab stuff so long as you're standing on a specific ledge or piece of ground?

Well it is the same people who decided that their platformer should have invisible walls to stop you falling off, so...

And yeah, Alteisen, have you got a link or something for the changes to Enslaved? Coz it sounds interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Yeah, this is one of the many things that bugged the hell out of me in the demo. Why go to all the trouble of adding platforming and grappling when you can only grab stuff so long as you're standing on a specific ledge or piece of ground?

Devil May Cry is a pretty interesting series actually in this respect. The original was one of the last major games where you had a lot of agency with regards to how you navigate the game world instead of having tons of context sensitive points to do specific actions from.

That said, those who played Heavenly Sword, there were those moments where the combat would click just right and it felt great for a few minutes and you loved it. This new Devil May Cry isn't amazing but the combat is at least a huge step up from that game and Enslaved. What I got to play felt solid just...not as polished as 1 and 3. I wish they focused on one thing or the other. Either have less platforming and focus on perfecting the combat, or focus entirely on perfecting the platforming and movement techniques and just copy the combat 1:1 from DMC3 or whatever.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Neo Rasa posted:

Devil May Cry is a pretty interesting series actually in this respect. The original was one of the last major games where you had a lot of agency with regards to how you navigate the game world instead of having tons of context sensitive points to do specific actions from.

[Citation Needed]

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Someone's Son of Sparda run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqdl6lx5CPk

It looks more interesting and engaging at a higher level - different enemy groups and all that. That lock-on seems to be more of a hinderance than a help though. Especially with those flying enemies.

This is a more personal complaint but I miss the older style of music, where it's more video-gamey, rather than "this is the poo poo we didn't want to put on our album" kinda thing.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 20, 2012

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

User0015 posted:

Alex Garland interview about video game writing. Its actually pretty interesting.

Here's the link:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-alex-garland-part-two/

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is a more personal complaint but I miss the older style of music, where it's more video-gamey, rather than "this is the poo poo we didn't want to put on our album" kinda thing.

Yeah there was a certain endearing quality to the beats infused buttrock that they used in previous iterations. I still have a soft spot for Never Surrender or whatever the song is called for 4.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 20, 2012

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope that's not the game's real music in that video, 'cause it sucked.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Azubah posted:

I hope that's not the game's real music in that video, 'cause it sucked.

It is sadly.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Someone's Son of Sparda run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqdl6lx5CPk

It looks more interesting and engaging at a higher level - different enemy groups and all that. That lock-on seems to be more of a hinderance than a help though. Especially with those flying enemies.

I think I finally figured out what bugs me about the combat so much. Dante moves in bizarre chunks during his combos instead of in a more fluid motion like DMC3-4. He doesn't move at all in the air unless he does the grab and on the ground his movement seems unrelated to how it looks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa now, let's not oversell the music in this series. DMC3 and 4 had an extremely grating faux metal BGM for most fights, I am certainly not going to miss that. The original DMC had some pretty good music, even if it was a little bit too synth-y.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So... the demo is just boring.

It isn't bad in an interesting way. It isn't good. It is just boring combat. Achieving good rankings was completely effortless and I did it by button mashing.

I can't even express any more feelings on it. It's so dull. What the hell do I say about it? I hit enemies, I did some air combos, uh... that's about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bonaventure posted:

[Citation Needed]

To clarify, look at some of the secrets in DMC1 like jumping and landing exactly on the tip of that spire to get a bunch of extra orbs. There are plenty of open world games and games where you can fly and jump around but games in this DMC/God of War vein have become more restrictive over time, not less (remember when Dante's Inferno came out? People were very shocked that you could inadvertently combo or dodge your way into a bottomless pit by mistake). I was just meaning to point out how a series that still had these principles now has a reboot being done by a developer that goes to the opposite extreme seen in Enslaved.

I can imagine that getting a balance between controlling a character's movement in the game world, the combat, etc. is tough to get right. Ninja Theory seems to be aiming for the stars with this but falling a bit short if they still need to have the invisible walls and contextual points for grabbing onto stuff.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC3 and 4 were both opened ended to a degree, you could freely transition between zones for the most part even if it wasn't the right way to go, and your exploration was rewarded by secret items, orb caches, and missions. I will say that it's true that these areas are mostly sprawling corridors, as opposed to DMC's maze-like castle and grounds.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm not saying the music in the older games were masterpieces, but they were fun and cheesy, like the rest of the series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Air raid confirmed:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts00KdUYAqY

Such grace. Such beauty as it takes to flight. Game redeemed.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

notZaar posted:

Whoa now, let's not oversell the music in this series. DMC3 and 4 had an extremely grating faux metal BGM for most fights, I am certainly not going to miss that. The original DMC had some pretty good music, even if it was a little bit too synth-y.

The music in 3 and 4 always made me laugh because it was so cheesy and silly, possibly because it makes me think of this each time it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdURXV1LNQ

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the gently caress is this?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

They want to give everyone a golden star and tell them they a pretty and smart.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm picturing Dante going "NEEEOOOOWWWWW" while flying across the screen, makes it a bit more charming. :D

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The only thing I hated about the music in 3-4 was addition of lyrics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've gone through on Son of Sparda and... yeah, boring is the only word for it.

The scoring system is *awful.* As long as you don't take damage it doesn't matter what happens. And I mean that. I maintained my SSS rank despite falling off the side of a god damned cliff while fighting the Slurm Queen. I just respawned as if literally nothing had happened. No life loss, no score loss, nothing. You have to vary your combos a little but not in any meaningful way. As long as I occasionally switched between Devil, Angel and Regular I was hitting top ranks with ease doing nothing but button mashing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 21, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

weird bleep posted:

The music in 3 and 4 always made me laugh because it was so cheesy and silly, possibly because it makes me think of this each time it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdURXV1LNQ

The fact that he sings his own fight theme is probably the funniest thing about that scene, but yeah I don't know the songs are still kind of annoying. I just tuned the lyrics out after a while and it was okay.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

notZaar posted:

The fact that he sings his own fight theme is probably the funniest thing about that scene, but yeah I don't know the songs are still kind of annoying. I just tuned the lyrics out after a while and it was okay.

I always hear it as 'The flames in your eyes, Wash your mouth'.

And I didnt care because that was just as silly as the game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Devil may cry 3 music was the best! Incredibly cheesy but rocking out!

And now we have.. dub step

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Is Dante supposed to come off as a smug douchebag here? It's like the game really wants to be cheesy and stylish like before, but just doesn't understand how to do it. The boss "banter" was just painful.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Everything wrong with modern gaming development summed up in a single image. Why bother learning patterns, fighting well, being careful, just find everything and you get it ALL.

gently caress these people.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

ImpAtom posted:

It just says you get the SSS for completion, not the whole mission. So collecting/finding secrets is permanent and then you can focus on speed and combat, presumably.

I'm going to lose my DMC fan card for this but the demo wasn't half bad on my count. The dialogue and character design are still terrible and cringe-inducing, but once I got into the groove of combat I was having fun with it. My biggest gripe is that even on Son of Sparda, enemies die way too fast. I kept trying to recreate the loading screen combo and everything dies halfway through it. The best part of higher difficulties on the past games was that enemies soaked up enough damage for you to get as SSStylish as possible.

Really, the whole game seems way too easy right now. I never once felt threatened, and conversely I never felt like I was given a chance to unleash my full potential either. If the challenge ramps up, it might be a decently enjoyable game.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

They still have that ugly HUD, it would seem.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So I joined the cool kids club and played the demo!

You know... it's not that bad. It's an awkward set up, and not very intuitive to start with, but once I got the hang of it it worked okay. I can see why people were complaining about lock-on, though. And Devil Trigger takes too long to gather and drains too quickly.

The dialogue is complete poo poo though. You know, maybe they should have just said "gently caress it" to trying to capture any of the silliness of the old DMC games and just did whatever the gently caress they wanted. I'd rather have melodrama and angst then their sad attempt to emulate Dante's old banter. Now I know why everyone was laughing at the "slurm" boss... urgh. I hope the inability to skip cutscenes is just in the demo, and not in the full game. I don't know if I'll buy this, I'm definitely not going to buy it new, but if you can't skip cutscenes in the full game it's going directly into "do not buy" for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ximum posted:

Really, the whole game seems way too easy right now. I never once felt threatened, and conversely I never felt like I was given a chance to unleash my full potential either. If the challenge ramps up, it might be a decently enjoyable game.

In all fairness, the same was true of the Bayonetta demo.

I just played through on the unlocked hard difficulty and I could see some potential fun here. I love the super slick japanese beat em ups, but this seems like a good enough effort. The combo system is definitely pretty dynamic, which I can appreciate. Maybe not to the extent of the originals, but enough to have some fun on a few playthroughs.

Character design and dialogue are total poop though.

• Locked thread