Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

PhunkMonkey posted:

A quick search revealed that they did release Akira on Laserdisc in the 90s. Any hope of this getting a Bluray release someday? I'd really like an animated film in the collection and Akira would indeed be a fine addition.
I'd love more animation from Criterion too, but the current Akira blu-ray is already a solid release in audio and visual treatment. Maybe Metropolis? A Satoshi Kon set? Answer: skip the anime and jump straight to Persepolis to get the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Space Fish posted:

I'd love more animation from Criterion too, but the current Akira blu-ray is already a solid release in audio and visual treatment. Maybe Metropolis? A Satoshi Kon set? Answer: skip the anime and jump straight to Persepolis to get the ball rolling.

But the current blu-ray is out of print, and hard to find.

But yeah, if you can get your hand on it, it is amazing. It's a demo disc for me.

Maybe that's why every girl I bring back to my place never returns my calls.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
A disc of old Russian animation would be nice. Hard to find that stuff in good quality.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Maybe Criterion can bridge the gap and release some of Jan Svankmajer's films. Luckily the Alice blu-ray in the UK is region free (and it looks like a great transfer too) but I'd love a set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

February 2013

The Ballad of Narayama (DVD/Blu)
The Kid with a Bike (DVD/Blu)
On the Waterfront (2-Blu/3-DVD)
Chronicle of a Summer (DVD/Blu)
Sansho the Bailiff (Blu)

On the Waterfront is from Sony's new 4K restoration presented in 1.85:1, 1.66:1, and 1.33:1. Kind of a huge waste of space, not to mention a huge price hike considering it's always meant to be 1.85:1.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#386 - SANSHO THE BAILIFF (BR - 2/26)

* same as DVD

#645 - THE BALLAD OF NARAYAMA (BR/DVD - 2/5)

•New 4K digital master from the 2011 restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Trailer and teaser
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Kemp

#646 - THE KID WITH A BIKE (BR/2-disc DVD - 2/12)

•New digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Alain Marcoen, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Conversation between film critic Kent Jones and directors Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
•Interviews with actors Cécile de France and Thomas Doret
•Return to Seraing, a half-hour documentary in which the Dardennes revisit five locations from the film
•Trailer
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoff Andrew

#647 - ON THE WATERFRONT (2-disc BR/3-disc DVD - 2/19)

•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Alternate presentations of the restoration in two additional aspect ratios: 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen)
•Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
•Commentary featuring authors Richard Schickel and Jeff Young
•Conversation between filmmaker Martin Scorsese and critic Kent Jones
•Elia Kazan: Outsider (1982), an hour-long documentary
•New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with scholar Leo Braudy, critic David Thomson, and others
•New interview with actress Eva Marie Saint
•Interview with director Elia Kazan from 2001
•Contender, a 2001 documentary on the film’s most famous scene
•New interview with longshoreman Thomas Hanley, an actor in the film
•New interview with author James T. Fisher (On the Irish Waterfront) about the real-life people and places behind the film
•Visual essay on Leonard Bernstein’s score
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Almereyda and reprints of Kazan’s 1952 ad in the New York Times defending his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee, one of the 1948 New York Sun articles by Malcolm Johnson on which the film was based, and a 1953 Commonweal piece by screenwriter Budd Schulberg

#648 - CHRONICLE OF A SUMMER (BR/DVD - 2/26)

•New high-definition digital transfer of the Cineteca di Bologna restoration of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Un été + 50 (2011), a seventy-three-minute documentary featuring outtakes and new interviews with codirector Edgar Morin and some of the film’s subjects
•Archival interviews with codirector Jean Rouch and Marceline Loridan, one of the film’s subjects
•New interview with anthropology professor Faye Ginsburg, organizer of several Rouch retrospectives
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by scholar Sam Di Iorio

My take:

Sansho - will upgrade

Ballad of Narayama - I've seen Imamura's version and liked it, rental with possible buy

Kid With a Bike - not one of my favorite Dardennes, but will definitely buy it

On the Waterfront - Not too crazy about this, but I do owe it a second look. Rental.

Chronicle - Like it, but not enough to buy. Possible rental for the bonus features

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Aw hell yeah Kinoshita.

I can't be the only one who doesn't like any of those cartoon style covers, right?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
drat I was hoping they'd upgrade Ugetsu before doing Sansho, but I'll still buy the Blu (at the next B&N sale) and watch it and be depressed again.

Ballad of Narayama is probably a blind buy for me and I might grab On the Waterfront for that plethora of extras alone!

No interest in the Dardenne flick or Chronicle, so overall this month's slate is generally good!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The 50% off at B&N Sale has been extended through the 26th :toot:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

leokitty posted:

Haha yeah, whenever the lady at the B&N I now go to every other day told me, I said to myself, "Welp...I guess they love my money."

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

On the Waterfront is from Sony's new 4K restoration presented in 1.85:1, 1.66:1, and 1.33:1. Kind of a huge waste of space, not to mention a huge price hike considering it's always meant to be 1.85:1.

This really puzzles me. In the first place I didn't realize there was ever debate about the proper aspect ratio for On the Waterfront—though I thought it was 1.37:1 so what do I know?—but beyond that Criterion has always prided itself on offering the "definitive" presentation (see: The Last Emperor at 2.00:1) so this seems particularly out of character (or perhaps a change in philosophy that bodes for the future).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This really puzzles me. In the first place I didn't realize there was ever debate about the proper aspect ratio for On the Waterfront—though I thought it was 1.37:1 so what do I know?—but beyond that Criterion has always prided itself on offering the "definitive" presentation (see: The Last Emperor at 2.00:1) so this seems particularly out of character (or perhaps a change in philosophy that bodes for the future).

The definitive presentation of "The Last Emperor" is 2.35:1 and will always be. gently caress Vittorio Storaro. :colbert:

Fake edit:

As for OtW, it's probably because it released during the transition period where there were still quite a few theaters that were exhibiting in Academy ratio, so there wasn't really a definitive presentation of it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Columbia switched to shooting all in-house productions in 1.85:1 in Spring 1953. On the Waterfront was shot from Nov. 1953 to Jan. 1954, which is well within the safe "made for widescreen" area for American studio films, especially Columbia. The film itself was shot in the usual 1.37:1 negative, composed for 1.85:1 matting.

1.66:1 was picked mainly because the restorer found it to be the most "comfortable" while 1.85:1 is OAR. 1.33:1 will basically be unmatted. Since On the Waterfront is a 4K Sony Colorworks restoration, they probably captured the entire 1.37:1 area on the negative. This was also done when The Godfather was restored.

Overall, 1.66:1 would have been fine as the only presentation, which is what Criterion did for The Night of the Hunter, Paths of Glory, and The Killing - all originally 1.85:1 in theaters.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

gently caress, I gotta get me Sansho the Bailiff on BR.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Man I spent waaay too much on the BN sale. But after seeing Ran on On Demand a few years ago I want all things Japanese cinema. I am a fan of anything with an oriental atmosphere though (yes I know that is a huge range of things). I'd jump on The Last Emperor if the DVD didn't somehow have a 5 extra minutes of movie the blu ray doesn't. I don't care if it is scenic shots, I don't understand why the Blu-Ray wouldn't always be the definitive up to this point.

Also, I wish they would convert more DVD's to Blu-ray. There are already a handful that I looked at (Ice Storm, The Human Condition, etc).

Finally, I heard the Howards End BR transfer is a hunk of poo poo. But the reviews I looked at were from 2010 at the latest. Any idea if they reprinted any or anything like that?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
So, I just absolutely devoured the Moral Tales box set. Adored everything on it. Where do I go from here? What films of his should I check out next? I'm feeling withdrawals already.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

leokitty posted:

Seems to be some confusion about whether this is true or not. Criterion's Twitter and B&N's page says the 19th still. It may just be in store.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

codyclarke posted:

So, I just absolutely devoured the Moral Tales box set. Adored everything on it. Where do I go from here? What films of his should I check out next? I'm feeling withdrawals already.
All of them, watch all of them.

Unfortunately, most are out of print in the US, but if you can play PAL DVDs this set is pretty great and has most of his 80s films. Le rayon vert, L'ami de mon amie and Pauline à la plage are my favourites from there, but they're all great.

His four big ones from the 90s are great too, particularly A Summer's Tale which may be his best film, but that DVD set is a bit more expensive here.

After that there are a couple of stray films from the 80s and 90s and a couple from the 2000s that are also very good, but a bit harder to find.

PhunkMonkey
Apr 15, 2001

robix smash posted:

Seems to be some confusion about whether this is true or not. Criterion's Twitter and B&N's page says the 19th still. It may just be in store.

The staff at my local store in Jefferson City, MO have confirmed the same extension. I suppose it could very well be in store only.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Hopefully Criterion is just trying to drum up some last minute buys and then announce they've extended the sale. Supposed to be a 30% off code this week.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
^^ that's exactly what they did. Sale extended. Now hopefully the 30% off code rumor tomorrow is right too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished the Three Colors recently. Of the three, I liked Red the most. Blue was a little boring, but still compelling. And White... well, I liked it, but I felt it seemed a tad misogynistic.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Watched The Red Shoes which was a recent blind buy from the last Criterion sale. It's the 4th Powell/Pressburger film I've seen and the 4th one I have absolutely adored. God, their films are magical.

Nate RFB posted:

Blue was a little boring
I hope you loving die.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kuddles posted:

Watched The Red Shoes which was a recent blind buy from the last Criterion sale. It's the 4th Powell/Pressburger film I've seen and the 4th one I have absolutely adored. God, their films are magical.

Criterion's release of Colonel Blimp next year is a day-one buy for me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a reason why the Criterion blu-ray for Benjamin Button on Amazon is much cheaper than it should be (costing $5.99)? Even aside from the Thanksgiving week sale, its MSRP is listed as $22.98 instead of the $39.99 it is on criterion.com. Also, the picture on Amazon has the usual blue plastic of a blu-ray, as opposed to Criterion's colored plastic. Did I miss something?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason why the Criterion blu-ray for Benjamin Button on Amazon is much cheaper than it should be (costing $5.99)? Even aside from the Thanksgiving week sale, its MSRP is listed as $22.98 instead of the $39.99 it is on criterion.com. Also, the picture on Amazon has the usual blue plastic of a blu-ray, as opposed to Criterion's colored plastic. Did I miss something?

This is conjecture, but I was noticing that too when I thought about getting it (I still think it's watchable, and I LOVE Fincher). I think that it was released via Criterion first and foremost, right in the middle of Oscar season when it was getting a lot of buzz. So, they put it in the blue regular Blu-Ray packaging, instead of the clear stuff, to make it more of a "mainstream" release instead of giving it the full Criterion treatment. I'm not sure, was it one of the first Criterion Blu-rays? That might help explain the change in packaging scheme; maybe they hadn't solidified their style yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's because Criterion isn't the distributor - Paramount is. Sort of like how most of the Buena Vista titles are cheaper and end up in Walmart. Criterion just produced the release.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

It's a terrible movie and pretty much every Criterion customer wouldn't seriously buy it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

It's a terrible movie and pretty much every Criterion customer wouldn't seriously buy it.

It's not terrible, just pointless. Apparently, David Fincher had to direct it in order to allowed to make Zodiac. For that matter, why the hell isn't Zodiac in print?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

kuddles posted:

I hope you loving die.

Blue is one of the heaviest and most beautiful films I've ever seen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it was the character of Olivier; I found his scenes strangely dull for some reason. I loved just about everything else about Blue, especially the plot with the neighbor.

Anyway, it was a complete blind buy during that 50% off sale a while back and well worth the price.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The 30% off coupon is real, it's in yesterday's email about the Friday sales from BN.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

But after seeing Ran on On Demand a few years ago I want all things Japanese cinema.

It's probably too late now, but uh, Ran is a really unique movie. Most Japanese movies aren't very similar to it.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
It is but between then and my recent spending spree I had seen enough to realize this and like what I was seeing elsewhere.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

leokitty posted:

The 30% off coupon is real, it's in yesterday's email about the Friday sales from BN.

Man I've spent way too much on this sale - but this 30% code gets me the Bergman Trilogy for $35 incl. shipping to Canada.
How can I pass that up? I've been meaning to see these for far too long.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
God drat it all. I did such a good job resisting this month, but a 14 dollar Criterion bluray is just too good to pass up.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Kull the Conqueror posted:

God drat it all. I did such a good job resisting this month, but a 14 dollar Criterion bluray is just too good to pass up.
I was thinking about it for days, what to get, what to get... and then I used it on Hugo ($11.33 shipped) instead of a Criterion.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
I wanted Heaven's Gate to be great. It was made before I was born and I was completely unaware of the film, the horrible press, or the closure of a film studio. Also, the press was for the highly condensed version. This one is over 3 hours and I felt was worth a shot.

The cinematography, scale, attention to detail, choreography, etc were great. As far as I could tell, almost every technical aspect of the movie was as good as could be. I am far from an expert but even I couldn't have missed it. To describe how it was shot, I would say if Michael Cimino wasn't a director he would have been a fighter pilot. I just imagine it was insane working on this movie. I can't imagine how many takes it would take to get some of these scenes down perfect.

As for entertainment? It couldn't hold my attention. No matter how hard I tried. I will give it another shot but drat. A lot of my favorite movies often surpass the 2 1/2-3 hour mark but this wasn't happening. I heard the director originally had trouble getting the film down to 5 hours to screen it to the studio. It starts off so brilliantly then loses steam long before what I assume is the climax.

From a blu-ray standpoint, it was a good transfer. There is a bit of grain in some scenes, especially with a lot of darkness. You have to take this in perspective. I am sure there are exceptions but older films will never look as crisp as newer films shot digitally or where the actual film is still in pristine condition. With older films I usually marvel at how much better it looks now then it did then, or on vhs/dvd/tv. I didn't have any point of reference for this.

Sound was perfect but the noise of what was happening often caused problems with understanding what was said. It could be my set up but I never had this happen before. I expect it may have been intentional for some scenes. I didn't see an option for subtitles either.

Rent, don't buy.

Edit: I haven't seen too many criterion films. This was the first one where I was overwhelmingly bored. I would assume they chose this film for the technical prowess, causing a studio to close, but not for being an entertaining film. Are there other CC movies that are just boring? (Subjective I know)

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 26, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Are there other CC movies that are just boring? (Subjective I know)

IMHO The Man Who Fell To Earth and The Leopard are both interesting in different ways but could barely hold my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

IMHO The Man Who Fell To Earth and The Leopard are both interesting in different ways but could barely hold my attention.

Couldn't disagree more. Man Who Fell to Earth is a personal favorite for me. Blind bought it in a sale when the DVD came out, loved it then, still love it now.

Also, there's a ton on sale at Best Buy and Amazon.