Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Guess I'm a little late but: http://www.newsgroupservers.net/newsgroup_server_resellers

Might help you in picking one that isn't another Highwinds reseller, they do have a European presence even though it's not advertised and I've seen at least one EU reseller that claims independence but was actually connected to Highwinds and had the same DMCA takedowns.

Well, tweaknews isn't on that list.

Actually, according to this they're not reselling anyones feeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
That's normally a good sign, but the independents normally have much lower retention rates, I see 900 or less normally.

That Tweaknews has 1100 though which is higher than all of them and only 200-350 days lower than the biggest ones which is pretty good. I've never heard of them or seen them mentioned anywhere before here though, I might think they're new but their website says:

quote:

© 1998 - 2010 Tweak - All rights preserved

On nzbmatrix there is a request only list going around of EU based USPs that aren't targetted by or are lax with DMCA requests. Maybe Tweaknews is on that list?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 16, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Tweaknews is a cambrium.nl reseller.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Nearly everything is failing on Supernews today. It would be a helluva coincidence if everything today suddenly is being DMCA'd the instant it goes up when none of it has been before. I'd guess that it's some problem with the Supernews servers or they're not being uploaded properly.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sperg Victorious posted:

Tweaknews is a cambrium.nl reseller.

I couldn't find anything about Cambrium either.

I feel like DMCAs might've ramped up across the board for every USP these past few weeks?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Same here, lots of stuff failing on Supernews (Giganews reseller) lately. Looking for alternatives.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

...! posted:

Nearly everything is failing on Supernews today. It would be a helluva coincidence if everything today suddenly is being DMCA'd the instant it goes up when none of it has been before. I'd guess that it's some problem with the Supernews servers or they're not being uploaded properly.

blargle posted:

Same here, lots of stuff failing on Supernews (Giganews reseller) lately. Looking for alternatives.

If you have PMs or AIM, I'll check to see what the situation is like on XSNews and Tweaknews for nzbs that have failed, if you're curious about switching to one of those feeds.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

blargle posted:

Blocknews is separate from Giganews/Supernews,right? I have it setup as a backup to my Supernews account and everything has been failing tonight.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Blocknews is separate from Giganews/Supernews,right? I have it setup as a backup to my Supernews account and everything has been failing tonight.

Based on the list posted here, Blocknews is on the Readnews feed, which is a separate feed from Giganews.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
Strangely enough I have news.supernews.com and usnews.blocknews.net accounts set up in SAB but when I look under connections I have a tonne of connections to @eu.news.astraweb.com?

Could just be me not understanding Usenet but that seems strange as Supernews is Giga and Blocknews is Readnews. I have also been getting more failures than normal for the last week or so but mainly with older files. Is there any good solution to grabbing old files? I have had to use torrents for some stuff that just consistently failed on Usenet because it was too old.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

timmmmaaaah posted:

Strangely enough I have news.supernews.com and usnews.blocknews.net accounts set up in SAB but when I look under connections I have a tonne of connections to @eu.news.astraweb.com?
This is asked on every page, but it shows where the post was originally uploaded to.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Any word on what might be going on with Supernews?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pardon a possibly dumb question: Mountain Lion screwed up the auto-start up scripts for Sickbeard and CouchPotatoServer way back when it came out and I haven't come across a working one since...

Does anyone know if something was ever discovered or fixed for them?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Supernews has worked perfectly fine for me tonight. I guess it was a one night issue?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

...! posted:

Supernews has worked perfectly fine for me tonight. I guess it was a one night issue?
It happens. On occasion with Astraweb, I'd switch from the normal (North American) server to the EU server for normal speeds until the NA server was done throwing a fit. I imagine the opposite sometimes happened with EU users on their side of the pond.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hogburto posted:

It happens. On occasion with Astraweb, I'd switch from the normal (North American) server to the EU server for normal speeds until the NA server was done throwing a fit. I imagine the opposite sometimes happened with EU users on their side of the pond.

Well, the thing that was weird last night was that Astraweb was also not working right (from what I'm told), so that got people freaking out about DMCA takedowns. I'm guessing it was just a lot of stuff getting posted to Usenet incorrectly.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
astraweb has really hosed things up with propagation that is all. has been happening for several days. nothing propagates out complete to anyone else. i do not think it is dmca take downs just crappy astraweb loving everyone over even there non customers.

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost
Yep, I'm about done with astraweb. Between the "new" automated takedowns and now the horrible speeds I've been experiencing recently, it's time to find myself another provider.

The problem is, the grass is always greener on the other side. I spent a lot of time the last couple days reading various forums, and it doesn't seem like there are any providers that are any better.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

blargle posted:

same here (supernews/blocknews)

setting up a tweaknews trial now

edit: not much luck, still getting lots of failed downloads with articles missing

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 18, 2012

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I remembered my ISP has a usenet server - it's slow and only has ~90 day retention, but good completion. I set it as the backup server in Sab and so far it has filled in all the gaps from recent Supernews posts. I'm guessing most people here with a large ISP can do the same.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

blargle posted:

I remembered my ISP has a usenet server - it's slow and only has ~90 day retention, but good completion. I set it as the backup server in Sab and so far it has filled in all the gaps from recent Supernews posts. I'm guessing most people here with a large ISP can do the same.
There are also a bunch of free ipv6 servers that work fairly well. Since I have a blocknews account, I actually use the ipv6 servers as my primary to help cut down on my blocknews transfer.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SlipperyNipple posted:

astraweb has really hosed things up with propagation that is all. has been happening for several days. nothing propagates out complete to anyone else. i do not think it is dmca take downs just crappy astraweb loving everyone over even there non customers.

Yeah, the general consensus elsewhere seems to be that the Supernews/Astraweb problems on Thursday were the result of a fuckup on Astraweb's end. I honestly don't understand why people thought it was DMCA takedowns; it would be a strange coincidence to go from almost no DMCA takedowns to almost all DMCA takedowns in the span of less than a day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Feenix posted:

Pardon a possibly dumb question: Mountain Lion screwed up the auto-start up scripts for Sickbeard and CouchPotatoServer way back when it came out and I haven't come across a working one since...

Does anyone know if something was ever discovered or fixed for them?

I use 'sickbeard launcher' on OSX lion as a startup item that handles sickbeard for me. https://github.com/ka010/SickBeard-Launcher

dont really use CP enough to know anything about it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

blargle posted:

Sweet, let me check my ISP ...

quote:

Note: As of November 15, 2012, Charter will no longer offer our Newsgroups service.

Goddamit. Oh well, they offered a whopping 4 days of retention!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

...! posted:

Yeah, the general consensus elsewhere seems to be that the Supernews/Astraweb problems on Thursday were the result of a fuckup on Astraweb's end. I honestly don't understand why people thought it was DMCA takedowns; it would be a strange coincidence to go from almost no DMCA takedowns to almost all DMCA takedowns in the span of less than a day.

Actually, that's what I would expect if the networks decided to start doing something about usenet. Or, rather, that's one of several scenarios that wouldn't surprise me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Has there been a degradation of the tv database or whatever it is that sickbeard uses that i've missed?

There are a lot of what I would think are fairly popular things showing up as never airing or outright unlisted.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Check out the shows in question on https://www.thetvdb.com and see if the info is correct. If it is, go to the show details in Sickbeard and click "Force Full Update" and it should pull down the correct info. This was an issue with an older version of SB but it was fixed ages ago.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Laserface posted:

I use 'sickbeard launcher' on OSX lion as a startup item that handles sickbeard for me. https://github.com/ka010/SickBeard-Launcher

dont really use CP enough to know anything about it.

Thanks but this doesn't seem to work for me for a couple of reasons:

1) I wanted something that would auto-start it on launch. It doesn't seem to do that. I can auto start the app, but I still need to choose to "start Sickbeard" from the launcher app.

2) Even that doesn't seem to work. (As I mentioned, I'm on Mountain Lion. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyone else know any good auto-start scripts that work with Mountain Lion for Sickbeard (and/or CouchpotatoServer?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Feenix posted:

Anyone else know any good auto-start scripts that work with Mountain Lion for Sickbeard (and/or CouchpotatoServer?

This works perfectly for me in ML

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Any word on what might be going on with Supernews?

It died for me tonight, right when I was setting up a new media server. Isn't responding to logins at all at the moment.

(edit) ....and it's back... but yeah, it's having issues this week.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 20, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, (possible) that isn't working either.

I downloaded his app. I changed the path only. I saved it as an Application. I put it in my Applications Folder. I made it a log in item.
I rebooted.

I go to my Sickbeard app thru the browser and nothing happens. ("Failed to Open Page")

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Here's a fun article about what's going on with DMCA's.

FUN FACT: Mr Morganelli is almost certainly bullshitting with reference to his "Bayesian Classifier", and instead pretty much just trolls NZBMatrix (specifically NZBMatrix) for stuff to kill. In response to this, NZBmatrix has instituted some draconian new rules about comments, basically amounting to "if you even vaguely refer to the fact that you interact with usenet in any way we'll remove your post". Understandably, NZBMatrix' posters are freaking out about this.

Oh well, guess someone will devise some sort of obfuscation technique for posts soon enough.

On a similar note, looks like Mysterbin closed up shop today. It doesn't appear to be due to a raid or anything, seems like the guy just got spooked.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't feel like its exactly needed right now, but, to scrach an itch, I've been working on some stuff in Python to watch RSS feeds (or search) from private trackers and fetch things that match failed downloads in the sabnzbd queue and then pass that on to Sickbeard.

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

inpheaux posted:

On a similar note, looks like Mysterbin closed up shop today. It doesn't appear to be due to a raid or anything, seems like the guy just got spooked.

Well mysterbin closing sucks. That was my favorite free indexer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Anyone have any idea what happened to nzbsrus.com? The site's been down for a couple days now and all the info I can find is basically 50 pages of downforeveryoneorjustme results.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Am I crazy that I just bought Newsdemon's unlimited account on BF and I am about to cancel my Astraweb account?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Anyone have any idea what happened to nzbsrus.com? The site's been down for a couple days now and all the info I can find is basically 50 pages of downforeveryoneorjustme results.

They went down last year for a week or two too due to their provider getting pissed at all of the DMCA poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

suddenlyissoon posted:

Am I crazy that I just bought Newsdemon's unlimited account on BF and I am about to cancel my Astraweb account?

Nope. I have a Newsdemon $6 a month unlimited special, and for the price I've been pleased as punch.

Prior to that I had Supernews, and prior to that I had Astraweb, so I've tried them all.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

suddenlyissoon posted:

I might do this. Astraweb has been unreliable lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Who does newsdemon resell?