Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Liar posted:

I seriously love the artists style. Even in a still image you can see movement taking place... Don't know how to describe it better than that.

Maybe it's a trick of lines or something, but I just swear it looks like you can see the air fluctuating around his lasers from the heat.

It looks like soft focus on a camera, could be some digital post stuff, or maybe he's just good enough to draw blurry poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Death Bot posted:

It looks like soft focus on a camera, could be some digital post stuff, or maybe he's just good enough to draw blurry poo poo.

I'd believe post drawing digital effect because if you look, you can see what look like lens flares around some of the lights. That said, if you look at the back parts, I'm looking underneath the exclamation points where those little squares are on that whatever it is that's sticking out, you can see little after effects and faded out version of those squares so it looks like that part is rumbling or shaking. If that isn't a post drawing effect, then maybe none of it is, in which case goddamn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the artwork on this alone is enough of a reason to read it, even if it wasn't pretty drat funny. I could look at a chapter for hours. :allears:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Inverness posted:

Oh wow, the sound effects have shadows. :eyepop:

I was trying to figure out what I was looking at since the shadows show up before the effects but then I turned the page and BAM. Murata you gloriuous crazy bastard :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the artwork on this alone is enough of a reason to read it, even if it wasn't pretty drat funny. I could look at a chapter for hours. :allears:

The art was pretty much the only reason to read Donten Prism Solar Car. Well, that and the title.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cover illustrations for the first two volumes, "One Punch" (1) and "The Secret of His Strength" (2) are out, courtesy of Murata's twitter:

He's still carrying that goddamn bag of leeks, hahaha.

Holy poo poo I just realized that the cover and the inner flap together form a three dimensional building.:aaaaa:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 19, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is a mighty fine thing to behold.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The art in this comic is incredible! I had put it in the "sounds kind of funny, but not really my thing" mental pile and not given it much more thought than that. I'm glad I got bored and decided to check it out after all, it's super funny and the cinematic way he draws the action is completely amazing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That cover work is loving fantastic.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I'm loving how serious the artwork is for an otherwise comical plotline. You have to give the artist credit, he knows how to draw a goddamn punch.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
If this gets licensed, I am all about buying those books and future volumes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Liar posted:

I'm loving how serious the artwork is for an otherwise comical plotline. You have to give the artist credit, he knows how to draw a goddamn punch.

That is part of what makes it so hilarious though. It is this absolutely insanely beautifully drawn artwork of a bald dude who beats everyone in one punch.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

ImpAtom posted:

That is part of what makes it so hilarious though. It is this absolutely insanely beautifully drawn artwork of a bald dude who beats everyone in one punch.

Speaking of which, I don't know what I'd like more at this point; him meeting someone who's also insanely powerful because they did some inane exercise like using a Wii fit game, or just continuing to one-shot basically everything in existence.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Liar posted:

Speaking of which, I don't know what I'd like more at this point; him meeting someone who's also insanely powerful because they did some inane exercise like using a Wii fit game, or just continuing to one-shot basically everything in existence.

I think I definitely prefer him one-shotting everything because what grabs my attention so much from the writing is that it explores Saitama, who in a lot of other things would either be a lovely self insert or maybe a half baked parody, as a character. If he started fighting people who were as strong as him, it'd probably just turn into shonen fluff. The art would still be great and the action would still hold me as a reader, but I'd just blow through the non-fighting parts because I wouldn't care.

To that end, I'd actually be ok with his powers never getting a proper explanation. I'd be ok with them just making half-hearted teasing in the vein of the head of the Super Hero Registry saying "it's like the power of God resides in Saitama." Now, that part may later turn out to be for real, but I'd be ok with it just being a one off and us never actually learning if there's more to him than the training regiment or not. So far, it's not what matters to me.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 18.1

edit: I think his power might be inversely proportional to his hair. Or it maybe it's related to how much he needs to do something else, you know, important things, like getting udon for lunch, or finding a bathroom.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 21, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Was that pre-training? :psyduck: Maybe Saitama was always powerful but didn't know it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
The fact that this manga doesn't take itself seriously is why it's so great. Saitama being a relatable everyman instead of some badass headstrong protagonist really helps too.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Autumncomet posted:

Was that pre-training? :psyduck: Maybe Saitama was always powerful but didn't know it.

Since his hair is starting to fall out that was probably mid-training.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

GodFish posted:

Since his hair is starting to fall out that was probably mid-training.

And he did fail to kill it in one punch.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Goddamn I love everything about this manga :allears:

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
I just binged on this series in one shot.

Art is loving fantastic and Saitama is just ten different flavors of awesome.

Something I noticed is that there's a definite gulf between Saitama and Genos. Where Genos and most of the villains thus far take the world ultra seriously and believe themselves to be pinnacles of their particular areas, Saitama is just this guy who had a dream and did what he thought would help him reach it.

Also he makes toilet jokes sometimes.

In all seriousness this is a great manga and I look forward to more.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Something I noticed is that there's a definite gulf between Saitama and Genos. Where Genos and most of the villains thus far take the world ultra seriously and believe themselves to be pinnacles of their particular areas, Saitama is just this guy who had a dream and did what he thought would help him reach it.

This is my favorite dynamic in the whole thing. My favorite jokes in the story so far, Genos's :words: backstory and when he goes all Batman pose while Saitama just stares vacantly at him, have come out of that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mentally, Saitama is the character most grounded in reality. Physically, he is more bizarre than everyone else combined.

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
It feels bizzare that I'll be waiting for 'new' chapters of an existing manga instead of new episodes of an existing manga. :psyduck:

I've been diving into the original webomic, and I started to wonder if the scanlators are only doing the ones with new art. I haven't done scanlations before, but is anyone interested in the originals?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I sort of am. I glanced over a few of the originals, and I'm surprised at just how many poses and page layouts were taken directly from the original comic. He may not be able to draw, but he sure does comic storyboarding well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Caeruleas posted:

I've been diving into the original webomic, and I started to wonder if the scanlators are only doing the ones with new art.

Well, yes. Manga is a visual medium and I'm sure most people would prefer to enjoy Murata's art rather than suffer ONE's, given the choice. As an aside, ONE can sort of draw (at least, better than he does with OPM), it's just that he doesn't really care to do so for this particular series. His other series, Mob Psycho 100, has a bit more work put into it.

Personally, I wouldn't scanlate the originals, though I can't really give a reason why other than "I don't think it'd be worth the effort." Murata's obviously in it for the long haul, and I don't really see any downside to just taking his version as it comes instead of working on a version that'll be rendered more or less obsolete sometime in the future. Like, if you did chapter 19 tomorrow, people would maybe read that for a week, but after that (once Murata's version came out and Boon translated it) almost nobody would ever go back to the version you did. In that sense, it's sort of like posting text spoilers to future chapters, in which case why not do that and save yourself the trouble?

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
Maybe I'll try to do that as each 'new' chapters come out!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Higher quality versions of the two covers, courtesy of Amazon.jp.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Higher quality versions of the two covers, courtesy of Amazon.jp.

Saitama just hanging out in the lower right corner of the second one is amazing. :haw:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Saitama just hanging out in the lower right corner of the second one is amazing. :haw:

There's a 50% off sale on 5 lb bags of cooking rice on the other side of the street.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
This is now my most favourite running manga series. It's just top quality all around, it's so great. :allears:

JD
Jan 11, 2003
There's a special chapter 18.5 up on batoto, good stuff

Saitama was really strong even before he lost his hair

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There was so little effort put into drawing Saitama on the second cover that his eyes don't match! :allears:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

JD posted:

There's a special chapter 18.5 up on batoto, good stuff

Saitama was really strong even before he lost his hair

Algid posted:

chapter 18.1

edit: I think his power might be inversely proportional to his hair. Or it maybe it's related to how much he needs to do something else, you know, important things, like getting udon for lunch, or finding a bathroom.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

onepixeljumpman posted:

To that end, I'd actually be ok with his powers never getting a proper explanation. I'd be ok with them just making half-hearted teasing in the vein of the head of the Super Hero Registry saying "it's like the power of God resides in Saitama." Now, that part may later turn out to be for real, but I'd be ok with it just being a one off and us never actually learning if there's more to him than the training regiment or not. So far, it's not what matters to me.

I really hope there isn't an explanation down the line about Saitama getting his power from his genes, or from a magic medallion or god playing a prank or something. It's so much funnier if it really is just him earnestly doing weight training, with the implication that anyone could be this strong (and bald) if they just never ever took a day off and don't take any shortcuts.

Digiwizzard fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 24, 2012

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping Medaka Box would be like. This is a wonderful series. :allears:

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
You wanted Medaka to go around punching holes in other students? Ok, I'm down with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One Punch Man: Action speaks louder than words.

Medaka Box: Why have action when you can have more words?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Saitama telling everyone in Medaka to shut the hell up and summarize in ten words or less would be pretty great, no lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I am so incredibly happy I found this manga. It's just fantastic in every way. :allears: