Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheap Vodka posted:

I got sync killed by a Brute while playing as a Volus and bounced like ten feet into the air after death. Death by chaos dunk. :stare:

I'm impressed at how gold viable Volus are. Focusing purely on low cooldowns so you can endlessly spam shield boost and play combat medic is surprisingly fun and tense. All he needs is an ubercharge power and it would be perfect. :getin:

He's fantastic on the waves where you got a ton of armored poo poo rushing you since he allows everyone to tank really well. Also following a kroguard around is like god mode for the krogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Good god, why did no one tell me how amazing Geth Infiltrator Shotgun Man was?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Good god, why did no one tell me how amazing Geth Infiltrator Shotgun Man was?

Thought that was kind of a given. Wish I had the accuracy to make it work with a Claymore, but the Piranha works wonders as well.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Alteisen posted:

He's fantastic on the waves where you got a ton of armored poo poo rushing you since he allows everyone to tank really well. Also following a kroguard around is like god mode for the krogan.

I'm always hesitant to play Volus among vanguards figuring they're going to zip away and I'll have to go chasing after. The high HP classes definitely seem to benefit more in tanking though. Last round I played was two Havocs and a Geth and they held their ground pretty well until the sync kill happened.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

chami posted:

Thought that was kind of a given. Wish I had the accuracy to make it work with a Claymore, but the Piranha works wonders as well.

Does the Raider fire fast enough to get the cloak damage bonus for both shots?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So is it just me or did the bioware servers go down again?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

chami posted:

Been rolling it with a GPS. Will try Claymore.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Does the Raider fire fast enough to get the cloak damage bonus for both shots?

By far! You've got 2.5 seconds, so the Wraith, Graal, Crusader, Disciple, and Piranha can empty their clips as well, as can the GPS if you've charged it and use the fast-fire follow-up.

Cheap Vodka posted:

I'm always hesitant to play Volus among vanguards figuring they're going to zip away and I'll have to go chasing after. The high HP classes definitely seem to benefit more in tanking though. Last round I played was two Havocs and a Geth and they held their ground pretty well until the sync kill happened.

When they zip away, they get their own recharge though. When they really need it is 3-5 seconds off a charge, by which point you might be caught up again (and is about the length of your cloak).

jpmeyer posted:

Also, I am pretty sure that I managed to oneshot a Nemesis from full health on silver with a headshot from a fully charged new Arc Pistol :stare:

The charged Arc Pistol fires 3 shots with 3x damage each, which apparently comes out to ~870 damage. That's about the same damage as a Black Widow VII, with the added benefit of counting as 3 shots so only losing a maximum of a quarter of its damage to the shield gate. :aaa: AND it charges in one second, so you can fire off charged shots as fast as the Black Widow, BUT you also get 6 charged shots per clip (with a mod to add 5 more), AND it reloads twice as fast.

To put at another way, it's a slower firing, harder hitting Paladin X with about the same single clip DPS, but a larger clip. Better performance against shield gates, but worse against armor, and the ability to rapid-fire in a pinch (and better ammo power application).

Man, now I wish they'd add a thermal scope for pistols!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 21, 2012

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Walked away from the game for a while, came back and tried to join a game, and uh...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow, Vorcha Hunter is a gloriously useless class. Maybe it'd be worth something if Submission Net actually hit stuff instead of flying off of my wrist and in the complete opposite direction of the enemy.

EDIT: I've discovered a new circle of hell. It's having to do Retrieval four times on Gold/Collectors/Reactor.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 21, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just unlocked the Demolisher. I'm assuming since I still see demolishers but I never see supply pylons that everyone's specing out of those? I don't want to use a respec card right now or promote since I just hit 20 again today though so I'm stuck with at least a bit there. I went with 4.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I use the build from the first post, and it's pretty great. Edit: Actually on second look, I took the rank 4 shield upgrade instead of rank 5 power damage, but your mileage may vary.

Take the pylon and max out its drop rate (not doing so is probably why pubbies don't bother with it). Equip Grenade Capacity gear if you have it for up to 10 grenades at a time. Become the Queen of Explosions. :ssj:

(And don't forget you can resupply your grenades with an ammo pack as well!)

Looks like this week is both Firebase Whiteout and Firebase Deep Hurting. Not my favorites, but a great time to be whittling away at GethInf rounds! :haw:

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 21, 2012

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

VJeff posted:

EDIT: I've discovered a new circle of hell. It's having to do Retrieval four times on Gold/Collectors/Reactor.

Did a hack in the central reactor on platinum collectors a few weeks ago. I honestly thought it was game over then and there but we eventually made it with 20 seconds to spare and only a couple of deaths by doing laps of the map and staying in the hack area for as long as possible before having to leg it again. Because the reactor is so central there was nowhere to kite the enemies to, so we could never stay in the circle for more than a few seconds and even that long was pushing it. I had to stop playing for a bit after that game, but its really my own fault for playing platinum collectors.

Mr Butthole
Nov 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Two Finger posted:

For me it was bombers.

I roll with a GPR on my Gengineer, and I will fight anyone who says I'm wrong. Hunter mode specced for ROF and accuracy, Chain Overload specced for one jump and shield damage, and a heal-turret.
You aren't invincible, you aren't supremely deadly, but you are an amazing suppression machine and the constant headshots you can pour out tear mooks to pieces and give you a good shot against bosses. Especially since you can reload cancel with Overload.

I roll with a Sabre and I am supremely deadly. :dukedog:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pumpking posted:

Did a hack in the central reactor on platinum collectors a few weeks ago. I honestly thought it was game over then and there but we eventually made it with 20 seconds to spare and only a couple of deaths by doing laps of the map and staying in the hack area for as long as possible before having to leg it again. Because the reactor is so central there was nowhere to kite the enemies to, so we could never stay in the circle for more than a few seconds and even that long was pushing it. I had to stop playing for a bit after that game, but its really my own fault for playing platinum collectors.

Hahahah, I thought my game was one of the worst possible, but that kinda tops it.

Just, getting dumped into a total dead-end mission, and then doing the objective completely by yourself twice only to not have it count either time, it's pretty horrible. Some-loving-how, a decent team joined up around me and we managed to get full payout before we wiped on Wave 10.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

Wow, Vorcha Hunter is a gloriously useless class. Maybe it'd be worth something if Submission Net actually hit stuff instead of flying off of my wrist and in the complete opposite direction of the enemy.

Submission Net is great and always has been though. Maybe you need to aim it differently? I haven't used the Hunter much but on BatSent Submission Net is pretty amazing with the DOT and Field upgrades especially.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Is the new decoy bugged to absorb all eight enemies at once or have bioware learnt that lesson and used the newest version?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Rick posted:

I just unlocked the Demolisher. I'm assuming since I still see demolishers but I never see supply pylons that everyone's specing out of those? I don't want to use a respec card right now or promote since I just hit 20 again today though so I'm stuck with at least a bit there. I went with 4.

Take the pylon. It is great. Pubbies think you can't use it since they closed up the usual camping spots but they're wrong. The trick is to travel fairly light, (Talon/Hurricane or Piranha/Acolyte light, you can have good guns but try to pick low eight options) so it has a shorter cooldown then you can redeploy it frequently to keep moving. Also it respawns grenades immediately after being deployed. If you don't have to move just redeploy it after it spits out grenades for an extra 2.

Build

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 21, 2012

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've never seen a Demolisher in my random games go without a turret, or I probably did but they were so bad I didn't even know they were a Demolisher. This is one of those classes where in my opinion you gotta be greedy and go 6/6/6/6/0 gently caress Fitness throw grenades everyday.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lagomorphic posted:

Take the pylon. It is great. Pubbies think you can't use it since they closed up the usual camping spots but they're wrong. The trick is to travel fairly light, (Talon/Hurricane or Piranha/Acolyte light, you can have good guns but try to pick low eight options) so it has a shorter cooldown then you can redeploy it frequently to keep moving. Also it respawns grenades immediately after being deployed. If you don't have to move just redeploy it after it spits out grenades for an extra 2.

Build

exquisite tea posted:

I've never seen a Demolisher in my random games go without a turret, or I probably did but they were so bad I didn't even know they were a Demolisher. This is one of those classes where in my opinion you gotta be greedy and go 6/6/6/6/0 gently caress Fitness throw grenades everyday.

Ah man, the one time I take 6 fitness out of the box I'm wrong! I usually always try the glass cannon route and re-evaluate that later. Well it looks like I need to respec card after all since I'm not promoting my volus until I get another one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rick posted:

Ah man, the one time I take 6 fitness out of the box I'm wrong! I usually always try the glass cannon route and re-evaluate that later. Well it looks like I need to respec card after all since I'm not promoting my volus until I get another one.

6/6/6/4/4 is fine too if you don't want to be as squishy.

I noticed something on Hazard Glacier earlier, sorry if I'm late to this. Well you know how the roaming cloud of DOOM will kill enemies? Turns out you can solo entire waves without ever touching an enemy - just keep running around and they will all, eventually, die to the Great Cloud. I was solo-ing for a gun challenge and a noticed that sometimes I'd leave an Atlas somewhere and later on it would just be gone. :tali: :iia:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

This is what I do with my Demolisher and it can be pretty drat effective if you're paying attention to what you're doing and using cover.

Of note is that the pylon explodes when you put down another one; I've killed some bad guys and saved my rear end by staggering others this way.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I played a game the other day with two goons and a pubbie L20 Demolisher who never, as far as we could tell, deployed a pylon. I'm glad to know this is a pubbie thing, not just one random crazy guy. We talked poo poo about him over the mics for about half the game.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Whats the best way to unlock classes? I'm trying for the N7 Destroyer, but every 99k pack unlock has just been trash items or weapons I'll never use.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Houdini posted:

Is the new decoy bugged to absorb all eight enemies at once or have bioware learnt that lesson and used the newest version?
The Volus Decoy is very good at stealth. Enemies won't even know it's there. :ninja:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TalonDemonKing posted:

Whats the best way to unlock classes? I'm trying for the N7 Destroyer, but every 99k pack unlock has just been trash items or weapons I'll never use.

PSPs will always be the most efficient way of getting gold cards because you're guaranteed two in each pack and almost all character classes are gold. There is no way to farm specific cards unless you do the uninstall DLC trick.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's probably confirmation bias but I went through something like ten PSPs worth of crap, but after I switched back to regular SPs I got gear or weapon mod upgrades in every single pack. Level IV ammo definitely seems to be over-represented in PSPs (but you won't get level IV ammo unless you've maxed your classes I think? so idk)

Don't buy PSPs if you're maxed or close to being maxed. Also, I don't know if it's just me but I swear Medigel actually drops far less frequently than the other four kinds of consumable. I chew through ammo packs like I don't give a gently caress and I've been using an average of one medigel per game lately because I've getting grouped with pubbies who actually know wtf they're doing (usually I pop medigel if I Leeroy into an enemy clump like a god drat idiot). But my medigel levels are still perilously low. If anything I should be running low on Ops packs because I go through my entire stock more often than not (when the drat thing triggers correctly, anyway).

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I rarely get any sort of consumable. I usually go into gold matches with nothing but five ammo packs. :negative: I still extract 9/10 times though.

I get weapon and power bonus things but never the ones I want. Ammo IV mods dont exist for me.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Mr Butthole posted:

What weapon are you using with him? I only played one round, but I used the Carnifex because I didn't know wtf I was doing.

Specifically for the Volus Engineer my objective is to shorten cooldown times as much as possible, because I found myself actually wanting to use prox mine to soften targets up, and occasionally reposition the recon mine mid-wave.

I don't have any gear that helps with this other than Expert Gear so, since it buffs SMG damage, I bring a lightweight SMG. Volus seems to have a particularly low carry weight (kind of expected, given) so in order to keep weight at 200% I'm kind of limited to the bad ones.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

doomfunk posted:

I don't have any gear that helps with this other than Expert Gear so, since it buffs SMG damage, I bring a lightweight SMG. Volus seems to have a particularly low carry weight (kind of expected, given) so in order to keep weight at 200% I'm kind of limited to the bad ones.

Do you have SMG ULMs? If so, a Hurricane (if you got one) with level V ULMs will make it almost weightless (keeping the cooldown at 200% for most classes), I'd guess at worst it might bring you down to like 185% with a Volus, and I find the difference between 185% and 200% to be really quite negligible.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I don't have ULMs for the SMG yet, they're one of like two uncommon weapon mods that just refuse to show up in packs for me. :qq:

And yeah, it's a minor difference but it's noticeable. I'm just trying to squeeze every microsecond out of the rotation between my mine usage and my 'make the tall ones invincible for a sec' usage.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Personally, I think having the ability to bring a Hurricane along is worth the slightly longer cooldown (and this applies to any class ever, I think), and to be fair, Recon Mine is one of the very few powers where you might actually somewhat feel the difference, but it's a matter of personal preference for sure.

Either way, it's kind of moot without ULMs anyway I guess, sorry to hear about the RNG dicking you over there :\

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Houdini posted:

I rarely get any sort of consumable. I usually go into gold matches with nothing but five ammo packs. :negative: I still extract 9/10 times though.

I get weapon and power bonus things but never the ones I want. Ammo IV mods dont exist for me.

I wish they'd bump all ammo up to gold give them one more level and make them non consumable. It's irritating when I want to run my geth engineer and I don't have any cryo ammo or incendiary ammo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What level is your Hurricane? At VI, I think the weight on my Volus is around 185 without ULM (I don't have it either). The ability to actually kill things is really useful compared to an extra .15 second faster shieldboost/prox mines. I can keep shield boost up 100% of the time if I need to, prox mines come out really fast, and recon mines I don't tend to explode frequently, in part because of the cooldown.

Drell infiltrator's 3 second recon mines are going to be INSANE, even without the cloak damage boost.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

III. I've been thinking based on this talk that I'm being overly cautious and that I'm not really going to miss the .2s difference in my short cooldowns.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Dog posted:

(but you won't get level IV ammo unless you've maxed your classes I think? so idk)

False, I have every Rare card maxed, and so each week when a class is added, that is the only Rare card I need. I check out what the new class is, promote it if applicable, and buy a few packs. More often then not, if I get PSPs then it doubles up on the new class for both Rare cards, but I still get level IV ammo before I technically max out the new character at least once.

So yesterday I was playing as the new Volus and the random group I was with had a Slayer.:pcgaming:

Phase Disruptor all the time, everywhere man. I wonder how long this will last until Bioware decides to modify how it works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Dog posted:

It's probably confirmation bias but I went through something like ten PSPs worth of crap, but after I switched back to regular SPs I got gear or weapon mod upgrades in every single pack. Level IV ammo definitely seems to be over-represented in PSPs (but you won't get level IV ammo unless you've maxed your classes I think? so idk)

Yeah I literally didn't get a single level IV ammo until I maxed all the existing Rare guns and classes, and whenever a new character comes out the first PSP I buy always has at least two cards for it right in a row.

To my understanding that's just me being lucky though since the game "rolls" for each Rare slot being Gear, Character, or Gun and if the category that comes up is full, that's when you get level IV consumables.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vietnamwees posted:

False, I have every Rare card maxed, and so each week when a class is added, that is the only Rare card I need. I check out what the new class is, promote it if applicable, and buy a few packs. More often then not, if I get PSPs then it doubles up on the new class for both Rare cards, but I still get level IV ammo before I technically max out the new character at least once.
You get a l4 ammo every time you draw a maxed character card. You just drew a character card you already had maxed, the game doesn't automatically give you what you don't have maxed already.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

precision posted:

Yeah I literally didn't get a single level IV ammo until I maxed all the existing Rare guns and classes, and whenever a new character comes out the first PSP I buy always has at least two cards for it right in a row.

To my understanding that's just me being lucky though since the game "rolls" for each Rare slot being Gear, Character, or Gun and if the category that comes up is full, that's when you get level IV consumables.

MIGHT be confirmation bias, but I vaguely recall that the percentages on the rolls for what type of item you get aren't split evenly 25/25/25/25 between guns/characters/mods/gear, which is probably why I've been getting tons of level IV consumables from my PSPs even though I've only maxed out guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Ravenfood posted:

You get a l4 ammo every time you draw a maxed character card. You just drew a character card you already had maxed, the game doesn't automatically give you what you don't have maxed already.

While that would be a very Bioware way to do things, that would result in a ridiculous amount of level 4 ammos even when a new class was available. Noone would be able to get anything at a reasonable rate. It's far more likely the RNG just rolled Gun, and went "welp, you've got 'em all, have this".

E: See above story as well.

• Locked thread