Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hey mindphlux. Were you the one who was telling me to nitrate my faux gras to keep it rosy? How much should I add per volume/weight of other stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Everyone knows a thermocouple is just a thermistor and thermissus stuck together. :haw:

"thermistor" is pronounced: "thur-my-ster".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

"thermistor" is pronounced: "thur-my-ster".

:eng101: No it's not. It's a portmanteau of thermal and resistor.

Yawgmoth posted:

Everyone knows a thermocouple is just a thermistor and thermissus stuck together. :haw:

That's pretty homothermophobic.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Find a Canadagoon, they're produced here under license.

It took me atleast half a minute to figure out that the twinkies were licensed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GrAviTy84 posted:

hey mindphlux. Were you the one who was telling me to nitrate my faux gras to keep it rosy? How much should I add per volume/weight of other stuff?

He's in lockup right now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

so this is happening right now :gonk:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I supposed to shake my monitor to simulate an earthquake?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I know this probably places me in the tiny minority here, but I'm really not that impressed with Modernist Cuisine at Home. It's pretty. And I like the fact that it comes with a little separate ring-bound, spill-proof thing with the recipes. But overall it seems really spergy about some poo poo and completely misses, or only mentions in passing, all sorts of important stuff. The photos also occasionally seem to contradict the information or technique presented in the text. Like the big, full-page photo that opens the section on roast chicken shows a roasted chicken, trussed and in a roasting pan. But the only method for roasting chicken presented involves blanching and broiling the bird, using neither trussing (not discussed at all in the text) nor a roasting pan. The section on sous vide poultry relegates searing for colour and flavour to a sidebar, which merely mentions that it's something you can do, without discussing anything about the technique. And so on.

I mean it's pretty and all, but I'm really not that impressed with it as an actual culinary manual thus far.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SubG posted:

I know this probably places me in the tiny minority here, but I'm really not that impressed with Modernist Cuisine at Home. It's pretty. And I like the fact that it comes with a little separate ring-bound, spill-proof thing with the recipes. But overall it seems really spergy about some poo poo and completely misses, or only mentions in passing, all sorts of important stuff. The photos also occasionally seem to contradict the information or technique presented in the text. Like the big, full-page photo that opens the section on roast chicken shows a roasted chicken, trussed and in a roasting pan. But the only method for roasting chicken presented involves blanching and broiling the bird, using neither trussing (not discussed at all in the text) nor a roasting pan. The section on sous vide poultry relegates searing for colour and flavour to a sidebar, which merely mentions that it's something you can do, without discussing anything about the technique. And so on.

I mean it's pretty and all, but I'm really not that impressed with it as an actual culinary manual thus far.

I think it's good, but a bit spotty. Which is sort of okay for me and what I do with it.

I do agree that it leave a lot out that I think a lot of people, even those who know what mol. gas. is, will be disappointed...though I understand why they left so much out.

I enjoyed - and put to good use - the section on pressure cooked soups and such.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

He's in lockup right now.

ok, so does anyone know?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

dino. posted:

Someone needs to make a planning thread, or google document or whatnot. I'm disqualified, because I can't speak to the main part of their meals (the meat). If y'all want help with the veg, give me a holler, and I'll type something up.

Disqualified? Uhhh HELLO! You're one of the most qualified people in here to get them out of the "chicken breast is my main protein" rut. Introduce them to some alternative sources of protein.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Disqualified? Uhhh HELLO! You're one of the most qualified people in here to get them out of the "chicken breast is my main protein" rut. Introduce them to some alternative sources of protein.

Great post username combo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This now makes two years in a row where I was like, "Hmm, might as well get a flu shot, I have the insurance...nah, I can do it next week" and then got some lovely flu that makes me want to die.

It blows cause I was gonna make a bunch of food to take down for Thanksgiving at my parent's place, but I'm not about to go all Typhoid Mary on everyone. Also my baby nephew is going to be up from San Diego but I won't be able to play with him really, since I'm not trying to give a baby the flu.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Rurutia posted:

Great post username combo.

Ok maybe I'm really missing something here but wouldn't introducing YLLS to sources of protein that aren't meat (or whey powder) be a good thing? And wouldn't the guy who wrote a book on how to make tasty vegetarian dishes who's used to working around all sorts of dietary restrictions be just the man for the job?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Ok maybe I'm really missing something here but wouldn't introducing YLLS to sources of protein that aren't meat (or whey powder) be a good thing? And wouldn't the guy who wrote a book on how to make tasty vegetarian dishes who's used to working around all sorts of dietary restrictions be just the man for the job?

YLLS are aware of other sources of protein. We use chicken breast/thigh and whey powder for a very specific reason - because we need the protein:calorie:cost ratio to fit our macro/calorie restrictions while eating with enough variety in our meals to keep sane. Just for reference, I eat 1050 kcals and 100g of protein per day (I should be eating more, rule of thumb is your lb weight in grams). This is very common for a woman my height/size.

This is honestly just a pet peeve of mine when people trot out things like quinoa and nuts as good sources of protein. No, gently caress you it's not. Just because something has protein in it does not mean it's a good source.

For every 100 calories, with no additional ingredients to make it a good tasting meal:
Whey powder has 20g of protein.
Shrimp has 19.2g of protein. (My favorite source of protein.)
Skinless chicken breast has 18.6g of protein.
Skinless chicken thigh has 16.g of protein. (My second favorite source of protein.)
-------------------------------------
Tofu has 10.9g of protein.
Tempeh has 9.3g of protein.
Quinoa has 3.7g of protein.
Almonds have 3.7g of protein.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 21, 2012

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Now now. Remember you're dealing with people who aren't nearly as adept at navigating the world of protein sources as the YLLS fitcrew, we just know how to make things tasty. Less "gently caress you it's not," more charts and tables and :science:. Also whey powder is cheating, there I said it. :colbert:

For those of you who might not be tracking the Chickencheese thread, first of all, shame on you.

Second, look at this.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518581

If anyone has stuff to add, please chime in, and do so. I'll link your posts on the OP.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

dino. posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518581

If anyone has stuff to add, please chime in, and do so. I'll link your posts on the OP.

Nice thread dino. You clearly put a lot of thought into it.

bartolimu posted:

Now now. Remember you're dealing with people who aren't nearly as adept at navigating the world of protein sources as the YLLS fitcrew, we just know how to make things tasty. Less "gently caress you it's not," more charts and tables and :science:. Also whey powder is cheating, there I said it. :colbert:

Sorry, like I said, it's very much a pet peeve - and the 'gently caress you it's not' wasn't directed at any specific person, just the attitude in general displayed by people who publish entire articles saying this while clearly not knowing what they're talking about. It's frustrating to see it everywhere. Anyways, I really think the thread should just stick to the 'let's make things tasty' and steer clear of telling YLLS what to eat.

I agree about Whey powder. I have it as a supplement when necessary, but I hate eating it because it's pretty much impossible to make it taste as good as real food.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Nice OP dino. I especially like this part

dino. posted:

You tell us what you generally need to eat, and what the restrictions are. We'll try to find you an interesting way to cook it.

This sounds like the best and least confrontational stance to take.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I really wanted to get across that I'm not there to tell anyone what to do, and that this is coming from a place of love and respect. I want people to reach out to me, because I love sharing what I know. How can I share if I'm coming from a place of condescension?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Bart or Abobo: I don't have PMs. If one of you sees this, could you please do that thing where you stick the ICSA post to the top? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518583

EDIT: God damnit. Edit button is not the reply button.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dino. posted:

I really wanted to get across that I'm not there to tell anyone what to do, and that this is coming from a place of love and respect. I want people to reach out to me, because I love sharing what I know. How can I share if I'm coming from a place of condescension?

That was an amazing post. Bravo! I'm not on any fancy-pants fitness diet, but the broccoli and the toasted chickpeas both sound simple and amazing and I can't wait to try it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

@Bart or Abobo: I don't have PMs. If one of you sees this, could you please do that thing where you stick the ICSA post to the top? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518583

EDIT: God damnit. Edit button is not the reply button.

Dino, I can't find you on facebook. Maybe I forgot your name. But I bought you a platinum upgrade and I need a way to get the gift certificate code to you.

edit: Dino, I got your email address and sent you the info. check yo gmail.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 21, 2012

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

dino. posted:

Did this.

e: and made it not the poo poo Post tag

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 21, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

For those of you who might not be tracking the Chickencheese thread, first of all, shame on you.

Second, look at this.

My sincere thanks for pointing me to that thread and post. Amazing.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
I have a question from something I saw on the Chickencheese thread and resulting call-out challenge, and I'm not sure where to ask it,

That sous-thing where you vacuum seal the food and boil it, what exactly does that do for the food, and why do people love it so much?

I lurk in GWSC and it's really helped improve my cooking (comedic posts aside), and I'd Like to Know More.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Doccers posted:

That sous-thing where you vacuum seal the food and boil it, what exactly does that do for the food, and why do people love it so much?

Someone else will be able to answer this in much more detail, but you're not boiling it: it is cooked at a very precise (relatively low) temperature for a long time. It results in even cooking, prevents overcooking and can make tough cuts of meat into delicious soft goodness. It's a good way to get consistently perfectly cooked food.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doccers posted:

I have a question from something I saw on the Chickencheese thread and resulting call-out challenge, and I'm not sure where to ask it,

I lurk in GWSC and it's really helped improve my cooking (comedic posts aside), and I'd Like to Know More.

There's lots of advantages, and even though it's called sous vide, for most things you don't really need a vacuum. Basically, your entire cooking time is at the target temp for the dish. So whereas a pork loin may be cooked in a 350 degree oven, but you're shooting for an internal temp of 145, with sous vide, you have a 145 degree water bath. Instead of ending up with a temperature gradient across the meat, the entire piece is cooked to precisely that temp. Cuts with lots of collagen like short ribs can be cooked to medium rare AND have the collagen broken down into gelatin by cooking for a very long time (I do short ribs for 48 hours at 131.5). You also have far more leeway as to cooking time, making it convenient to have the meat in the immersion circulator and pull out when everything else is ready.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sous Vide shortribs are one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You also have far more leeway as to cooking time, making it convenient to have the meat in the immersion circulator and pull out when everything else is ready.
It is also nearly impossible to gently caress up, since the cook time is usually something that you're measuring +/- several hours. That's not always the case (I usually do eggs in the puddle machine to +/- less than a minute, and in theory you should be using a probe to hit a precise temperature), but most of the time it's something like `put meat in puddle machine in the afternoon sometime, pull and sear when you want to eat, done'. Even more forgiving than a crockpot.

I mean the reason why sous vide has become such a hep and trendy thing for food snobs is because it lets you hit perfect doneness all the way through, with Keller's short ribs being the `killer app' for the method. But I sousvizzle poo poo at least a couple times a week because it's the easiest way to approach a lot of things, particularly if your schedule is whack and you don't know when dinner is going to be ahead of time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Say, fellas, it seems that SV has mostly meat-related applications. Any point to getting one for mostly vegetarian cooking?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Holy gently caress, thank you FGR. <3 Thanks also, Bart. Much obliged.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Say, fellas, it seems that SV has mostly meat-related applications. Any point to getting one for mostly vegetarian cooking?

Keller cooks most of his veggies at 185f. Says it breaks the proteins you want broken down while leaving the good stuff intact. The only veggie I've personally done is corn on the cob. Buttered, s&p, vacced and into the bath. Then just pull it out as needed. My dad said it was the best he's ever had. I don't know if I would go that far, but it definitely is very good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, I have short ribs, I want to try out puddling. Do I marinate the ribs first then throw it in the water, or can I do both at the same time?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

ok, so does anyone know?

nitrate salt is used in curing meats, and it does keep them pink. What exactly are you doing with your foie? the only time i've used nitrate salt is on the outside of a pork belly for pancetta or the outside of a duck breast for prosciutto, and the pink salt was something like 1:25 in the mixture of sugar, regular salt and seasonings. Are you curing a liver? I've never heard of/seen that before.

we also used to do a smoked foie terrine where we brined balls of foie somewhere between the size of golf and tennis balls, rolled them in coriander and black pepper and smoked them for ~10 mins, then put all the balls in a loaf pan and weighted it to get it into a loaf shape and to push out all of the fat. when you sliced it it was still pretty pink inside without any special salts, just from only smoking it to MR

M42 posted:

I'm making duck for thanksgiving. I don't traditionally do anything huge/elaborate, just main course and dessert. I figure duck, some kind of potatoes, some kind of vinegary slaw, and probably lingonberry jam. That's literally how far my plan's been worked out. Should I glaze the duck or just go with some salt and pepper? Anyone have a favourite slaw-type thing that goes with duck? This is my first time cooking for a holiday on my own (well, with my bf and without my parents). :ohdear:

I just did duck for my early thanksgiving. Roasting a whole duck will be substantially more delicious than roasting any other whole bird. That said, if you're feeling ambitious I encourage you to break it down the night before. Then you can roast the breasts to get the perfect medium rare that duck deserves, make stock from the carcass for the most amazing gravy ever, and braise/confit the legs for delicious fatty shredded meat. For your sides, I really like brussels sprouts, you can shred them raw for slaw with carrots, and mix in some other types of cabbage too if you want. They'll take either a creamy traditional coleslaw dressing for just a good vinaigrette, I usually go asian-y with sesame seeds and rice wine vinegar and citrus and ginger, sometimes I shred some sushi nori into it also.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Carrots come out really well at 182F for an hour. I put butter, salt and honey/sugar in the packet and then dump in a nonstick pan to tighten up the glaze. You get a nice bite with no raw flavor.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

nitrate salt is used in curing meats, and it does keep them pink. What exactly are you doing with your foie? the only time i've used nitrate salt is on the outside of a pork belly for pancetta or the outside of a duck breast for prosciutto, and the pink salt was something like 1:25 in the mixture of sugar, regular salt and seasonings. Are you curing a liver? I've never heard of/seen that before.

we also used to do a smoked foie terrine where we brined balls of foie somewhere between the size of golf and tennis balls, rolled them in coriander and black pepper and smoked them for ~10 mins, then put all the balls in a loaf pan and weighted it to get it into a loaf shape and to push out all of the fat. when you sliced it it was still pretty pink inside without any special salts, just from only smoking it to MR

It's mostly just to keep the product rosy. When you do it the Michel Richard way you get ugly graybrown tops. Adding nitrate keeps them from turning graybrown. I had to make them last night so I just capped them with thyme infused bacon fat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, I have short ribs, I want to try out puddling. Do I marinate the ribs first then throw it in the water, or can I do both at the same time?

Do you have a puddle machine or are you willing to stay awake for 2 days to make sure the temperature is stable?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No machine, just going to monitor it. Marinate before puddle or marinate in the puddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

No machine, just going to monitor it. Marinate before puddle or marinate in the puddle?

not to be a negative nancy, but this is most likely not going to work. If you absolutely must try it without a circulator, do it in a beer cooler and check the temps every hour.

You can do things like eggs, steaks, etc (things that take an hour and change) without one but something like 48-72 hours...yeah.