Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Voicechat: If Erin Fitzgerald uses the same adorable tomboy voice for Chie that she did for Erica I can't see how any of you crazy people could be against that.

How about Teddie? I did not like Dave Wittenberg, is Riegel any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I still maintain that Chie sounds more like a huge nerd/dork and it fits her character way better. Old Chie didn't sound like a high schooler.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And, if you don't want to skip them, but are sick of having to hit a button every time someone's said something in order to hear the next line, try enabling "Auto-Advance" in the options menu. Doesn't speed it up much, but makes it flow much better, at least to me.

Woah, this is really a feature? That's pretty boss.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Auto advance has been there since Persona 3. I never play these games without it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Boten Anna posted:

I still maintain that Chie sounds more like a huge nerd/dork and it fits her character way better. Old Chie didn't sound like a high schooler.

Chie and Yukiko were absolutely dire in the original, they sounded soooooo oooooold.

I don't mean "why don't my anime girls sound 12" I mean "why do my anime girls sound literally 40?"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Honestly, I can bearly even tell the difference between the two.

e: Missed the obvious pun.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 21, 2012

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Can someone tell me more about the time limits imposed on this game?

I really don't like games with time limits and like the freedom to grind out levels/skills/whatever without having some time limit over my head telling me I have to press on. Even if there's plenty of time to complete the game, I still tend to not like it.

I understand the day/night cycle, but hearing that the game "takes place over the course of a year" has me worried.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Walker posted:

Voicechat: If Erin Fitzgerald uses the same adorable tomboy voice for Chie that she did for Erica I can't see how any of you crazy people could be against that.

I was fond of the old Teddie, and this Teddie isn't beary bad, but new Chie drives me friggin' bonkers.

RentCavalier posted:

Woah, this is really a feature? That's pretty boss.

Yeah, I love it. Try it out. I tend to be pretty impatient, and I usually play portable games while I'm doing other things, so being able to watch lengthy cutscenes without having to mash the 'x' button to progress things is great.

Also, the "Scene Skip" effect is just perfect.

edit:

Cake Attack posted:

Honestly, I can barely even tell the difference between the two.
surely you meant "bearly"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

I really don't like games with time limits and like the freedom to grind out levels/skills/whatever without having some time limit over my head telling me I have to press on. Even if there's plenty of time to complete the game, I still tend to not like it.

I understand the day/night cycle, but hearing that the game "takes place over the course of a year" has me worried.

You have a couple of weeks from when a dungeon first becomes available to beat it. Entering the TV world takes up the afternoon (and I think the evening too). You can spend as long in the TV world as you like, but leaving the TV world and coming back another day is the best way to recover SP. Otherwise, you need to pay money to the Hermit Social Link, or get lucky with an Arcana Chance after a battle.

Early game it'll probably take 2 or 3 attempts to clear a dungeon, but later in the game it's possible to clear it in a day.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

jerkstore77 posted:

Basically the game, as mentioned, takes place over a year or so. Each day is divided into segments. The usual day is after school you can choose to either do a daytime Social Link or Part time job (to get money and boost some social stats, and some Social Link's are even tied to them anyways) and then at night you can do a night time Social Link, part time job, or study.

Or you can go into the dungeon areas and fight monsters, save people, level up, etc. But if you do, when you leave you'll be too tired to do anything else. There's no "hard" time limit, in that you have X minutes to do something. It's more like there's only so many activities you can do. Time only passes when you choose to do something major. So you could run around town everywhere, buy stuff, do some minor quests, etc, and time wouldn't pass until you chose to go level up that Social Link.

Some days your options are more limited because of plot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did they do a better job dubbing new parts of the game? P3PSP drove my OCD incredibly nuts by having varying volume/quality levels between original voiced parts and the newer dubs.

I don't really care about new voice actors per say, as long as their recording quality matches the rest of the original footage. If there's an obvious volume difference or something, that will drive me crazy!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jerkstore77 posted:

P4 was (arguably) mostly about time management. Got a day off? Would you rather study for your midterms, or build social links, or level up your characters/personas, or work part time jobs, or just say "gently caress it" and go to bed? You can't do it all. Don't expect to be able to. If the thought of this turns you off, don't fret quite yet, though--[at least in P4,] you're provided ample days off during which you're free to catch up on whatever you please. The game is great about telling you what your deadlines are, so you can plan accordingly.

All that said, there is no loving way you're doing everything there is to do on your first playthrough (as far as maxing all social links, all stats, getting every persona, etc.). That's just not gonna happen. If you can handle that, you'll probably have a great time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, the time limit is there but it's really loose. If, like you said, you enjoy grinding extra levels, you can (minor spoiler I guess about optional bosses) go back through every dungeon again a second time to kill an optional boss at the end. And there's plenty of time to do that.

In my opinion, the time limits have more to do with synchronizing what's happening in the real world with what's happening in the TV world. I don't think they could just give you forever to do things because of the way the story is structured. In other words, if a certain character isn't going to join your crew until after you save them in the dungeons, they have to put a cap on when that dungeon needs to be completed by. That way the designers know "After date <x>, this guy has officially joined the crew, we can include him in cutscenes and events." And there's other storyline events to advance the plot that have to happen by certain days, so they have to tie things to the advance of the year.

As for actual "how long can I be in the dungeon" time, you can be in there as long as you want in realtime. The only limit is that you're going to run out of SP if you're using skills and will need to get it back via items or some other available methods -- otherwise, you'll have to leave the dungeon and let a day pass to get it all back unless you're overleveled enough to kill things with physical attacks alone.

This is really tempting me to get a Vita. I wasn't planning on getting one, but this release paired with Black Friday deals is really giving me that itch.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

P4 was (arguably) mostly about time management. Got a day off? Would you rather study for your midterms, or build social links, or level up your characters/personas, or work part time jobs, or just say "gently caress it" and go to bed? You can't do it all. Don't expect to be able to. If the thought of this turns you off, don't fret quite yet, though--[at least in P4,] you're provided ample days off during which you're free to catch up on whatever you please. The game is great about telling you what your deadlines are, so you can plan accordingly.

All that said, there is no loving way you're doing everything there is to do on your first playthrough (as far as maxing all social links, all stats, getting every persona, etc.). That's just not gonna happen. If you can handle that, you'll probably have a great time.

I'd also argue that trying to max all the S-links and getting all the personas on your first playthrough will almost definitely require a guide, and I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice to play the game like that the first time. The plot is great, the characters are amazing, and it is a Fun Game. Enjoy it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you do use a guide, at least with the original, it would leave you with an entire month with nothing to do. So yeah, play at your own pace.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jerkstore77 posted:

The time limit they give you is super generous. In general the social linking/date sim stuff is there to develop the personalities of your party members and to serve as a grind to unlock better fusion persona for your main character. Once a new dungeon unlocks you can generally punch through it in about 3 in game days and have the rest of the 2-4 weeks kicking it with your buddies.

If you want to get a good idea of the pacing of the game, check out the Giant Bomb endurance run of the original game for PS2. The first 10 episodes are the more cutscene and dialog heavy intro/tutorial segments, but then hits its stride after that. If you're wanting to play the game for yourself, I would suggest not watching past the first proper dungeon (episode 23 or so)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh my god why did nobody mention this game has optional "TV channels" on the main menu that:

Have a jukebox channel
Have a channel explaining the jungian psychology between actual terms like "Persona" and "Shadow"
Have live videos of a concert where they perform persona soundtracks hahahaha

I guess it updates eventually with cutscenes you see and stuff

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gameday posted:

I'd also argue that trying to max all the S-links and getting all the personas on your first playthrough will almost definitely require a guide

It's not nearly as hard as Persona 3 in this regard, I seem to recall maxing almost every S-Link without a guide. It isn't terrible obscure or difficult like poo poo in The Bad Old Days (Chocobo Racing and poo poo like that).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god why did nobody mention this game has optional "TV channels" on the main menu that:

Have a jukebox channel
Have a channel explaining the jungian psychology between actual terms like "Persona" and "Shadow"
Have live videos of a concert where they perform persona soundtracks hahahaha

I guess it updates eventually with cutscenes you see and stuff

I just saw those and holy poo poo turn on the notification so you can run out and see what just got unlocked, that poo poo is so goddamn clever

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Golden Battler posted:

This game is fantastic.

I wanted to high-five the translators when I read that.

I have to say I still personally prefer Chie's old voice but new Chie, although loud at times, can be pretty drat good. I miss "Aha, is this our chance :geno:" tho.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gag dammit, what level am I supposed to be when I'm about to fight Shadow Yukiko? Level 13 or so? I don't remember P4 being this difficult - oh wait I'm playing on hard. :v:

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

The GIG posted:

I think Easy would be better since it's a good balance between relaxing and having to play smart. Though since it's Atlus there's still a chance of getting murdered not paying attention even on V.Easy.
OK - That's actually good to know. It sounds like playing on "Easy" or "Very Easy" will still give me some challenge but I won't have to grind or stress out about dying, etc. (which can arguably be part of the fun, but I'm hoping for a -tiny- bit of a challenge so it's not just 'press a to win', but I don't want to restart/reload really at all)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pollyanna posted:

Gag dammit, what level am I supposed to be when I'm about to fight Shadow Yukiko? Level 13 or so? I don't remember P4 being this difficult - oh wait I'm playing on hard. :v:

That sounds about right. If PS2 P4 is still good on low level persona skills, you should be able to get a persona for the main character that can cast a fire guard spell on Chie to keep her from getting knocked down/dizzy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vinlaen posted:

OK - That's actually good to know. It sounds like playing on "Easy" or "Very Easy" will still give me some challenge but I won't have to grind or stress out about dying, etc. (which can arguably be part of the fun, but I'm hoping for a -tiny- bit of a challenge so it's not just 'press a to win', but I don't want to restart/reload really at all)

P4 on Normal was really easy to me, it just depends how familiar you are with JRPG Bullshit I guess. I mean, it was easy in a satisfying way, the hardest thing was remembering what all the moon language names for skills mean when there are times you can't check (ie, while Fusing). What the gently caress is a Rakakuja?!

Not that I imagine it matters a whole lot, but I'd just go with Normal if I were you, really. I don't remember seeing more than maybe 3 game overs in the around 80 hours it took me.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Did they do a better job dubbing new parts of the game? P3PSP drove my OCD incredibly nuts by having varying volume/quality levels between original voiced parts and the newer dubs.

I don't really care about new voice actors per say, as long as their recording quality matches the rest of the original footage. If there's an obvious volume difference or something, that will drive me crazy!

It seems like they did a much better job this time, no jarring volume discrepancies that I've heard. Chie feels like she might be slightly louder than everyone else, but I think that's just because she's yelling constantly.

(also Chie's new voice is awesome)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

precision posted:

It's not nearly as hard as Persona 3 in this regard, I seem to recall maxing almost every S-Link without a guide. It isn't terrible obscure or difficult like poo poo in The Bad Old Days (Chocobo Racing and poo poo like that).

If you use a guide in the original you'd be left with 2 weeks of literally nothing to do so yeah it's very generous (Persona 3 gave you 3 days, and thats if you did everything totally optimally).

Since this game adds 2 months and only 2 new s. links I imagine its still generous.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Troffen posted:

It seems like they did a much better job this time, no jarring volume discrepancies that I've heard. Chie feels like she might be slightly louder than everyone else, but I think that's just because she's yelling constantly.

(also Chie's new voice is awesome)

Whether you agree or disagree on either point--if you simply must use headphones/earbuds, this might just be worth picking up. :haw:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How does the sos thing work? every time I get to battle it only heals 3hp and 2sp which is totally not worth the 3 seconds it takes to send the signal.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

precision posted:

P4 on Normal was really easy to me, it just depends how familiar you are with JRPG Bullshit I guess. I mean, it was easy in a satisfying way, the hardest thing was remembering what all the moon language names for skills mean when there are times you can't check (ie, while Fusing). What the gently caress is a Rakakuja?!

Couldn't you press square for that? I'm pretty sure they never locked you out of checking what skills do, even if the descriptions sometimes aren't that helpful. (Enervate is "Enervates 1 foe." Yeah, thanks Atlus.)

Pollyanna posted:

I actually recommend grinding a few more levels. Even at level 16 or so, that boss is probably the hardest in the game for where you are and what you have available.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Strange Quark posted:

Couldn't you press square for that? I'm pretty sure they never locked you out of checking what skills do, even if the descriptions sometimes aren't that helpful. (Enervate is "Enervates 1 foe." Yeah, thanks Atlus.)

Could you? I might be thinking of 3, or possibly I never tried that and am dumber than the lovechild of Junpei and Yosuke. I always checked skills inbetween visits to Fuse.

And hey at least "enervate" is an English word! :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

precision posted:

The coolest thing about smt games is when you play enough of them to know all the spells by heart :unsmith:

Also the spells are mishmashes of different demon names if I remember correctly.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So did they completely revamp shuffle time? I started the first for realists dungeon and shuffle time is just letting me pick from face up cards

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Now that I think about, couldn't you just equip some items to emulate having the Evade skills? Probably a better idea to do that than waste a skill. That said, might as well give Naoto some serious consideration since you can more or less mold Naoto's skillset to whatever you want (surely no one would pick all of the -dynes).

So just to clear it up, the 2 months of additional time can be used to max out additional S. Links? Surely not all of them? I can imagine a few that would still be locked out at their usual times.

Any other changes in terms of scheduling that one who has played the PS2 version should be aware of?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nate RFB posted:

Now that I think about, couldn't you just equip some items to emulate having the Evade skills? Probably a better idea to do that than waste a skill. That said, might as well give Naoto some serious consideration since you can more or less mold Naoto's skillset to whatever you want (surely no one would pick all of the -dynes).

So just to clear it up, the 2 months of additional time can be used to max out additional S. Links? Surely not all of them? I can imagine a few that would still be locked out at their usual times.

Any other changes in terms of scheduling that one who has played the PS2 version should be aware of?

There are new events earlier in the game as well that will probably take up some of the extra two months time you get in P4G compared to vanilla P4. (Halloween, ski vacation, ect).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well that's what I mean, how many days are lost to new events over the normal year and how many days are added? And which Arcana does either affect (fewer or greater number of days)?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, where did you get that image for the Deadly Dojima Duo? That is...absolutely hilarious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Speedball posted:

Okay, where did you get that image for the Deadly Dojima Duo? That is...absolutely hilarious.

I was looking up official art for Dojima on google images and it came up. Originally, Nanako and Dojima were separate entries, but I combined them when I found it.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

It took me to the end of the first major dungeon to figure this out, but if you grab every card after a battle, you're guaranteed a shuffle time the next battle, and you get to pick up 3 cards off the bat. This can be chained to get a LOT of shuffle times.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait how do you get more then one card in Shuffle Time in the first place?

Also, I'm surprised at how they're changing up the major fights. This, plus how much better the game looks now, shows that they put a ton of effort into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait how do you get more then one card in Shuffle Time in the first place?

Some cards give 1 or 2 more turns, but give negative/random effects as well. For instance, there's a card that gives you two more turns, but halves the money you receive from the fight.

• Locked thread