Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Even though the (pre-embargo) reviews are great I'm not sure that I totally buy into this. The last thing I want to play is a game that's soaked in a celebration of sick depravity; if there's one thing that I've learned over the last year it's that game reviewers are mostly idiots who can't tell when they're being pandered to. I don't trust their judgement at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Even though the (pre-embargo) reviews are great I'm not sure that I totally buy into this. The last thing I want to play is a game that's soaked in a celebration of sick depravity; if there's one thing that I've learned over the last year it's that game reviewers are mostly idiots who can't tell when they're being pandered to. I don't trust their judgement at all.

Yeah the Rock, Paper, Shotgun guys are utter plebs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I really liked the trigens in the first game and never understood why so many people hated them, but I hope there is some kind of cool secret monsters that show up during the game as a total surprise.

Far Cry's merc AI was at the time fairly innovative and (patch issues aside making tents see-through for AI and stealth either completely useless/overpowered) a blast to play against. Then halfway through Trigens get introduced and it devolved into pumping huge amounts of ammo into them as they charged at you in the hopes of killing them before they two-swiped you to death.

Granted some of the interactions of the mercenaries versus the Trigens were fairly cool but by the end of the game it became only Jack versus the Rocket Trigens who were nigh impossible to kill.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Far Cry's merc AI was at the time fairly innovative and (patch issues aside making tents see-through for AI and stealth either completely useless/overpowered) a blast to play against. Then halfway through Trigens get introduced and it devolved into pumping huge amounts of ammo into them as they charged at you in the hopes of killing them before they two-swiped you to death.

Granted some of the interactions of the mercenaries versus the Trigens were fairly cool but by the end of the game it became only Jack versus the Rocket Trigens who were nigh impossible to kill.

The Trigens weren't a bad idea, but they should have always been this kind of boogeyman item within the game, not a primary enemy. Kind of like an environmental "gently caress you".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The trigens were neat until near the end of the game. Then they were kind of gratuitous.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Yeah the Rock, Paper, Shotgun guys are utter plebs.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun said almost nothing about the story - about half a paragraph that brushes it off as "nonsense pulp fiction" before grudgingly admitting that they were curious to see how it developed. Nothing doing, there.

The gameplay is not an issue. I know that setting a tiger loose on an outpost is going to be delightful fun. The game's description as a sort of Skyrim Island really intrigues me. I simply don't want to spend 30 hours in a world peopled by nothing but nasty characters. I don't want a game that slathers degeneracy all over me whenever I choose to 'come in from the sandbox' and engage the main plot. Honestly, I get that vibe from the trailers and some of the reviews. That's my concern.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Trigens were cool until you shot one with a sniper rifle from like five miles away and it would turn around and start launching rockets at your exact position. Rockets which took about a full minute to actually reach you.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

I don't want a game that slathers degeneracy all over me whenever I choose to 'come in from the sandbox' and engage the main plot. Honestly, I get that vibe from the trailers and some of the reviews. That's my concern.

So after gruesomely killing literally thousands of islanders and countless scores of endangered animals in the sandbox, you're hoping that the story missions are a nuanced exploration of the human condition?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Judging by the past Far Cry games, you probably should pass on this if you are in it for the story. I enjoyed Far Cry 2, but strong on Story it was not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leb posted:

So after gruesomely killing literally thousands of islanders and countless scores of endangered animals in the sandbox, you're hoping that the story missions are a nuanced exploration of the human condition?

Did I say this at all? Does it give you a great big thrill to interpret what I'm saying in the silliest, most trite way possible?

Go on and look at that box art, and then tell me my concerns don't have any merit. Go on.

Edit: I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2's story a lot because it was mostly ambiance. It got out of the way very quickly and let you goof off. It's the fact that the developers of this game have stated several times that they're trying to make this a Game About Madness that has me worried. Game developers are usually pretty lovely writers so when they go for the Big Ideas it tends to be a clusterfuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 21, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Did I say this at all? Does it give you a great big thrill to interpret what I'm saying in the silliest, most trite way possible?

Go on and look at that box art, and then tell me my concerns don't have any merit. Go on.

I'm really struggling to see your point here. You seem to think something about this game indicates that this game will stoop to Postal/Postal2 levels of depravity, but I haven't seen anything that suggests that, though I will admit I haven't watched every video they have released. Nothing about what I have seen, including the box art, suggests that this game would be worse than say, a GTA game or Saints Row, if it even goes THAT far.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game looks great. I just hope you can choose not to use things like 3D quest markers, minimaps and marking people so you can see them through walls :ohdear: I'm sad they went that route and no longer have a physical in-game map you have to take out and look at :(

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

This game looks great. I just hope you can choose not to use things like 3D quest markers, minimaps and marking people so you can see them through walls :ohdear: I'm sad they went that route and no longer have a physical in-game map you have to take out and look at :(

I think marking people is entirely optional. I don't know about turning off the minimap, that might be possible but I doubt there's an option to use a physical map instead (which was one thing I loved about FC2).

The 29th can't come soon enough, I'm so excited for this game.

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 21, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

im a girl btw posted:

I think marking people is entirely optional. I don't know about turning off the minimap, that might be possible but I doubt there's an option to use a physical map instead (which was one thing I loved about FC2).

The 29th can't come soon enough, I'm so excited for this game.

Bastards getting it several days early. In the age of digital distribution, I will never understand staggered (by days, not months) launches.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Judging by the past Far Cry games, you probably should pass on this if you are in it for the story. I enjoyed Far Cry 2, but strong on Story it was not.

This, going after the story in Far Cry 2 was so frustrating it was always sending you from one end of the map to the other, exploring on your own was way more fun. Respawning outposts was a pretty lame mechanic, good they took that out too.

Polygon just gave this a 9, says the story tries some good ideas but then delves to heavily into tropes. They also say the multiplayer isn't really good nor the co op mission thing. But everything else is good especially the world which everyone is praising.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I normally don't put too much stock into reviews, but I think when the lowest of the first dozen is an 8.5 for what is essentially an underdog title, things are looking pretty good. :)

Rock Paper Shotgun's write-up was also very concise and told me pretty much everything I needed to hear. We might be looking at the surprise hit of the year.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone know if 3 has the same health system as 2? Will I be picking bullets out of my forearms with pliers?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm content to wait a bit, because those minor niggles that RPS skates over would bug the heck outta me. I am hoping for more robust modding and fanmade addon breakthrus for FC3. Besides, I am still enjoying Far Cry 2, malaria and all. And this map editor is addictive, reminds me of this world generator I used to mess with a bunch of years ago.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Gunder posted:

Does anyone know if 3 has the same health system as 2? Will I be picking bullets out of my forearms with pliers?

According to the RPS singleplayer thing, you will.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cardboard Box posted:

essentially an underdog title,

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Far Cry 2 was a high profile, and pretty well recieved, release, same with Far Cry 1.

Hell, I even remember Instincts getting some good buzz.

Some of the trailers and gameplay demos they've shown for this game look pretty exciting, but then the E3 co-op demo basically deflated any enthusiasm I had for it and a lot of the marketing has been really bland.

Everything I see of the story, especially the crazy villain they've made their mascot, falls really flat for me.

That aside, it seems like they've made a more interesting open world than Far Cry 2's, which is an immediate, and very strong, plus.

blackguy32 posted:

According to the RPS singleplayer thing, you will.

Can't wait to pull bullets out of my femur after taking drowning damage.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Far Cry 2 was a high profile, and pretty well recieved, release, same with Far Cry 1.

Hell, I even remember Instincts getting some good buzz.

I meant more in that this game has no real hype amongst players. I have only one friend who is remotely interested, and activity here hasn't really been booming. With the late flood of big titles like Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2, it's reasonable to think that Far Cry 3 would have potentially gotten lost in the shuffle, but I think the positive press may wake some people up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

I meant more in that this game has no real hype amongst players. I have only one friend who is remotely interested, and activity here hasn't really been booming. With the late flood of big titles like Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4 and Black Ops 2, it's reasonable to think that Far Cry 3 would have potentially gotten lost in the shuffle, but I think the positive press may wake some people up.

Yeah, I suppose.

The 10/10 certainly piqued my interest, but Eurogamer's been a bit bizzare lately and I've never really agreed with a lot of their reviews.

I mean, a trailer that has 'It's Skyrim with GUNS!!!!' is probably going to garner a lot of attention, but I don't think Far Cry 3's coming out of nowhere. I can't see it ending up like MOH: Warfighter, for better or worse.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Item Crafting? Leveling Up? This may be a highly entertaining experience. I always like it when there's more than just shooting in a shooting game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Where did this weird perception about this game being a celebration of depravity come about? From all the videos I can see it's just a dude who goes around shooting other dudes and there's a sex scene and you can also light things on fire. I mean aside from the sex scene this is looking like every other shooter ever created in terms of "depravity."

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

gibbed posted:

The respawn stuff was due to how the engine unloaded chunks as you got farther away from them and didn't persist state.

Oh, I guess it makes sense then why they didn't simply patch it, requiring new code and all.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Where did this weird perception about this game being a celebration of depravity come about? From all the videos I can see it's just a dude who goes around shooting other dudes and there's a sex scene and you can also light things on fire. I mean aside from the sex scene this is looking like every other shooter ever created in terms of "depravity."

All the trailers I've seen feature cutscenes of torture, slavery, and the murder of prisoners.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

AngryBooch posted:

All the trailers I've seen feature cutscenes of torture, slavery, and the murder of prisoners.

Not to mention the healing animations that involve pushing bullets through your arm with your finger or whatever.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And punching loving sharks in the face. Hopefully PETA doesn't get involved.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

All the stuff shown in trailers would fit right in with a mafia movie/game, though, and those aren't exactly celebrations of depravity. Hell, in mafia movies/games it's sometimes the protagonist doing the torturing whereas in this game it's always The Bad Guys. It certainly doesn't look like a celebration of it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And punching loving sharks in the face. Hopefully PETA doesn't get involved.

Even if they do, no one will give a poo poo.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Farcry 2 really was an amazing and immersive shootmans game but the problems with AI really held it back. Also, I kind of lost interest as soon as it made me go to the second map. SO it sounds promising that they removed the respawning poo poo, maybe made stealth a bit more successful, given more of a reason to hunt/scavenge, and its on one island.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Bastards getting it several days early. In the age of digital distribution, I will never understand staggered (by days, not months) launches.

Please tell me that VPN shennanigans will work. :ohdear:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardboard Box posted:

Even if they do, no one will give a poo poo.

:thejoke:

Mushball
May 23, 2012
There better be a way to summon predators on demand in this game because nothing justifies a purchase better than siccing an angry bear onto someone. In fact, the only way to play is to pretend that your John Mcclane circa die hard 1 cracking witty one-liners and shooting bad dudes on a tropical paradise because chances are this whole "philosophical talk about how people become insane" story is going to fall flat on its face anyways.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Please tell me that VPN shennanigans will work. :ohdear:

Depends on when they do preloading, and since it has to have a one-time activation through uPlay, it may not work even then.

Captain Matchbox posted:

Farcry 2 really was an amazing and immersive shootmans game but the problems with AI really held it back. Also, I kind of lost interest as soon as it made me go to the second map. SO it sounds promising that they removed the respawning poo poo, maybe made stealth a bit more successful, given more of a reason to hunt/scavenge, and its on one island.

I kinda love Far Cry 2 despite never having much fun playing it. The repetition was a big part, and this looks like it'll be decisively less so.

Sarcasm in plain text is hard. :(

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I've seen a bunch of different descriptions of how co-op will work in this, some saying it is the full campaign co-op(like Dead Island, this would be incredible) and some saying it is a separate group of missions. Do we know how exactly it will work?

Cardboard Box posted:

It's a separate group of completely linear missions.

nooooooo

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Sounds like starting a race in nfs underground 2 with digital walls of don't go here appearing. But to stay with the farcry flavor it will be land sharks or a flare up of super malaria.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They showed the co-op missions off at E3. They were just linear, objective based missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOSdza1YMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Do we know if the map editor can make co-op maps?

• Locked thread