Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Loved the gameplay, and I like the stages design enough. The writing is really really bad, but I don't even mind the character designs anymore.

Edit: It does seem like they are catering to the people that can't stand anything but the gameplay with the Mute All button.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Do we know when the ps3 demo drops, if there is one at all?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Either later tonight or tomorrow, I'm not sure.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Wrist Watch posted:

PS3 demo's out right now, I was playing it 3 hours ago.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Either later tonight or tomorrow, I'm not sure.
Oh okay, hope it gets here before I leave on my trip for the holidays-

G-Prime posted:

PS3 demo's out right now, I was playing it 3 hours ago.
Well poo poo. Time to give it a whirl.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So... the demo is just boring.

It isn't bad in an interesting way. It isn't good. It is just boring combat. Achieving good rankings was completely effortless and I did it by button mashing.

I can't even express any more feelings on it. It's so dull. What the hell do I say about it? I hit enemies, I did some air combos, uh... that's about it.

I feel the same way. Like the gameplay isn't nearly as bad as the exposition-dump dialogue and dumb story, but it's not really that thrilling either. So why bother sinking any money into this thing when anarchy riegns comes out in the same month and metal gear rising comes out the month after?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

So... the demo is just boring.

It isn't bad in an interesting way. It isn't good. It is just boring combat. Achieving good rankings was completely effortless and I did it by button mashing.

I can't even express any more feelings on it. It's so dull. What the hell do I say about it? I hit enemies, I did some air combos, uh... that's about it.

This is pretty much my opinion. The only difficult thing about the highest difficult is if you get hit like four times you die, as long as you pace yourself well enough this will not happen and the boss fight is still easy. Also, why in the hell is half of every word out of Slurm Queen's mouth a loving swear? I mean honestly, did they not read their own script and think "This is a bit much?"

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone found the taunt button? They seem to have misplaced it.

Also, did anyone else notice the loading screen message that went something like "To get a high rank, finish fights quickly and stylishy" I really hope that isn't intentional.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Marogareh posted:

The only thing I hated about the music in 3-4 was addition of lyrics.

THE FLINCH IN YOUR EYE CALLS YOUR BLUFF
FEEL FREE TO DIE IF YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH

Highschooler me thought that was the coolest thing

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
The dialogue is loving awful, but I was laughing at how awful it was. So, there's that.

Having played the demo, I'm still...somewhat mixed on this. I was definitely awful at the game at first, but as I started to get used to the combos I noticed how easy it was to kill everything. Things die quickly. Hell, those flying cherub things don't even take a full combo to bring down.

I really, really wish I could lock on at will, though. I still don't understand why they took that out. Every time I tried to use stinger, I'd end up having to try once or twice before getting it right. It's nice that they mapped a lot of the other lock-on moves to the B button, though. Once I got used to that, I was juggling stuff in the air like the game seems to want me to do.

The boss, I thought, wasn't too bad. It's really easy to dodge her attacks, but they do hit pretty hard. I was down to my last sliver of health when I finished her. The dialogue is immensely stupid, but I honestly chuckled a few times just at how stupid it really is.

There were a few little details I liked, though. When I fight DMC bosses for the first time, I tend to stand back and hurl bullets at it for a while until I get a groove for attacking/dodging/whatevering it until it dies. After a while of instinctively doing this (despite the bullets doing no damage), Slurm Queen McSuccubus said something like, "Stop shooting at me with those annoying little pea-shooters, you (jumble of swearwords I don't remember)!" There was other dialogue, but a lot of it was cut off.

On the other hand, even with how goofy and stupid the dialogue is, it lacks a lot of what made cutscenes in the other games so enjoyable. I also don't like how "cinematic" the boss fight was. In most DMC boss fights, the entire fight is played out in one gameplay sitting. There aren't little scenes that show you doing a powerful move on the enemy; YOU were responsible for doing that powerful move. Granted, Nero was a little guilty of this if you used his Buster, but even then, you usually could control how much damage he did with it, and you could only use it on bosses when they were weakened enough. PLUS, you still had to hit them to activate it.

When I first Buster'd Berial in DMC4, I felt ...well, awesome. Seeing Nero throw around something fifty times his size as I pressed the B button was empowering as hell, and it made it feel like I'd earned the right to use that move. In DmC, after I drain the boss's health enough, Dante automatically runs up and Shoryukens it so that I can pull off one of its...things...and hurt it. Not nearly as cool.

Those are my thoughts in a nutshell. I'm gonna play around with the demo some more and get used to the game more.

As it stands, I feel like the game is...fun? But not on the same level I'd call DMC or Bayonetta "fun."

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 21, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh yes. The buster felt much, much more visceral than the pull/lift mechanic here.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
FYI the demo is out in Europe too now, I'm downloading it from the PSN store as I type this.

edit: Okay, my impressions:
-The level portion of it was piss easy, even on Nephilim (haven't tried SoS yet.) Maybe this is due it being the first level, I guess I can let it slide. I will say that I never once had to use the combat roll, I could just double jump and use E&I to stay in the air until it was safe to land a helm splitter on the poor sap below.
-The controls. This game does not fee like Devil May Cry, the biggest problem I had with the combat was trying to play it like Devil May Cry. This isn't really the game's fault, it will just take a while to teach myself to play this new system.
-The enemies here are not at all the aggressive or interesting, but again I'm willing to give NJ the benefit of the doubt since it's the first level, they probably don't have all their AI unlocked to maximum challenge.

-The boss: I actually died here, a lot. Her attacks deal damage for one thing, and they come fast enough and are timed to throw off your dodge, so that's good. The actual fight itself was very simplistic, but par the course for a DMC boss. I'm sure with some practice parrying her swipes will be completely trivial in which case the only thing you have to worry about is the AoE spit. It is weird how she will just sit there and not respond for a while if you're standing on the edge of the stage, like it never came up in playtesting that somebody would NOT want to just crowd around her legs for the entire fight.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 21, 2012

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
20 minute demo and I can already tell this is going to be the definition of "game you pay $7 to play and rent and return on a week when nothing legitimately good is coming out."

gently caress the angst/dubstep music, Twilight fanfic main character, dialogue, story tone, and navel gazing hipsters thinking they've got an edgy narrative topical to the times in their stupid demon fighting game.

Setting art style is pretty good. Everything else is awful, up to and including how the mechanics are somehow worse than a game released years ago.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ximum posted:

Really, the whole game seems way too easy right now. I never once felt threatened, and conversely I never felt like I was given a chance to unleash my full potential either. If the challenge ramps up, it might be a decently enjoyable game.

The Metal Gear Rising demo really demands that you master the counter mechanic to stand a chance against the boss. It was probably one of the most satisfying demos I've ever played.

Oddly enough, this demo is actually a little shorter than the one I played at Eurogamer Expo, because you don't finish off the Slurm Queen. Really, the only bit you're missing is a long chain of Angel/Demon grabs, turning them into this game's equivalent to quick time events.

Did anyone else notice the sound cutting out on the PS3 demo? It would just be for a second or two when you enter a new area, but it makes the game seem a little unpolished.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I have read that there is a known input delay problem on the 360 version, but not on the ps3 version.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just played the PS3 version of the demo, saying I'm not impressed is an understatement. Having the R1 button for dodging just doesn't feel right, heck, nothing about the demo feels right. Having two seperate grab functions seems pointless to me, sure they'll have their justification but it's two extra buttons that could have been used for something else.

Music was bland, as was voice acting. Not horrible as such, just unremarkable. The Slurm Queen wasn't that exciting to fight against, compare that to Cereberus. Whilst he kicked the crap out of us the first time we played DMC3, developing the skills to defeat him with ease felt satisfying, and satisfying combat for me is the essence of DMC.

This new one does not have the feeling of kicking rear end, this is a slightly faster Heavenly Sword. I had a quick go on that whilst the demo was downloading and I have to say HS is more fun, as the combat actually suited that game.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Temascos posted:

Just played the PS3 version of the demo, saying I'm not impressed is an understatement. Having the R1 button for dodging just doesn't feel right, heck, nothing about the demo feels right. Having two seperate grab functions seems pointless to me, sure they'll have their justification but it's two extra buttons that could have been used for something else.

Music was bland, as was voice acting. Not horrible as such, just unremarkable. The Slurm Queen wasn't that exciting to fight against, compare that to Cereberus. Whilst he kicked the crap out of us the first time we played DMC3, developing the skills to defeat him with ease felt satisfying, and satisfying combat for me is the essence of DMC.

This new one does not have the feeling of kicking rear end, this is a slightly faster Heavenly Sword. I had a quick go on that whilst the demo was downloading and I have to say HS is more fun, as the combat actually suited that game.

I'm not sure I agree on the two grabs. They both have good and valid uses. The angel grab also functions as a dodge. The devil grab functions as a disarm. They also both are counted separately for comboing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Temascos posted:

My biggest problem with having two dodge buttons is that I'd much rather have a Devil Trigger button. The stick-click just feels awkward as hell. I didn't even check if I can customize that, I should.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My biggest problem with having two dodge buttons is that I'd much rather have a Devil Trigger button. The stick-click just feels awkward as hell. I didn't even check if I can customize that, I should.

That's another thing I took issue with, in previous games it comes naturally to use it when you've built up the meter or when you need that extra push. I practically forgot it was there after you're told to use it, pressing two sticks down for that is something I can't understand.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Argent Key?! Are you loving kidding me?! Just call it a silver key you chucklefucks! :argh:

On the other hand the fighting isn't so bad. It's janky and inelegant as hell but it's passable. Too bad everything else is Real Bad. Especially the voice acting jesus.

:geno: "I am going to pull you apart."

Also I'm not digging the art style and setting. It's like Bayonetta designed by wanker middle class art students.

I might get it once it's like a tenner.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing in the game is that you can customize the controls to your liking, though if you do it in game it only takes effect in the next area.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hel posted:

The best thing in the game is that you can customize the controls to your liking, though if you do it in game it only takes effect in the next area.

How does that even happen? It's not like how certain graphics settings require reloads. It's just writing to a text file, if that!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Capitalism Bro! posted:

Argent Key?! Are you loving kidding me?! Just call it a silver key you chucklefucks! :argh:

On the other hand the fighting isn't so bad. It's janky and inelegant as hell but it's passable. Too bad everything else is Real Bad. Especially the voice acting jesus.

Also I'm not digging the art style and setting. It's like Bayonetta designed by wanker middle class art students.

I *love* Bayonetta but that's exactly how one would describe its art style/setting, rather than DmC's.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Capitalism Bro! posted:

Same thing for me. I don't mind the artstyle atleast it's different from all the other crap.

For the combat would put it right there next to Ninja Gaiden 3, feels sluggish and doesn't come close to any of their previous iterations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I *love* Bayonetta but that's exactly how one would describe its art style/setting, rather than DmC's.

Bayonetta is described as "Bayonetta designed by wanker middle-class art students?" That, uh, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I like some of what DmC has done but actually playing it the areas in-between the really cool bits are extremely boring. Everything they've shown so far is pretty schizophrenia really. When the game is on it is incredibly cool but the demo is off more than it is on. I really hope the later parts of the game are more exciting.

In particular the Slurm Queen is bad. Just bad. She is extremely out of place with everything else they show which has this pretty interesting element of corrupted city to it. She just looks like a generic monster pumping yellow ooze. I don't know why she's the boss they're using to try to sell the game because she seems like the crappiest boss in the game from any possible perspective. (Gameplay AND visual design.) I really doubt (or at least hope) any other boss would just sit there and not attack if you don't get close.

It really stands out when fighting her compared to the videos because the fight is just incredibly generic and boring. It's bad from a setpiece perspective as well as a gameplay perspective. The other stuff in the demo is a lot more visually interesting even if it is flawed from a gameplay perspective.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 21, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

Bayonetta is described as "Bayonetta designed by wanker middle-class art students?" That, uh, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I like some of what DmC has done but actually playing it the areas in-between the really cool bits are extremely boring. Everything they've shown so far is pretty schizophrenia really. When the game is on it is incredibly cool but the demo is off more than it is on. I really hope the later parts of the game are more exciting.

In particular the Slurm Queen is bad. Just bad. She is extremely out of place with everything else they show which has this pretty interesting element of corrupted city to it. She just looks like a generic monster pumping yellow ooze. I don't know why she's the boss they're using to try to sell the game because she seems like the crappiest boss in the game from any possible perspective. (Gameplay AND visual design.) I really doubt (or at least hope) any other boss would just sit there and not attack if you don't get close.

It really stands out when fighting her compared to the videos because the fight is just incredibly generic and boring. It's bad from a setpiece perspective as well as a gameplay perspective. The other stuff in the demo is a lot more visually interesting even if it is flawed from a gameplay perspective.

No, what I said was that I thought Bayonetta's art design/environments were "designed by middle-class art wankers". The environments seen so far in DmC are incredible. It's one of the huge reasons that I will try and buy the game. I always appreciate incredible art and it's one of the reasons I loved El Shaddai, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, what I said was that I thought Bayonetta's art design/environments were "designed by middle-class art wankers" (whatever that actually means). The environments seen so far in DmC are incredible. It's one of the huge reasons that I will try and buy the game.

So you're saying Bayonetta's art design/environments are something you don't even know what it means? I get you like the game but going "No, the thing you like sucks" in response to criticism is pretty silly. You just admitted yourself you don't even know what he means, but he said something bad about DmC and good about Bayonetta so it's time to level the exact same insult towards Bayonetta.

I know you're capable of better criticism than that, you've done so in other threads. It'd be more interesting to read your actual thoughts on DmC and Bayonetta's art styles instead. v:shobon:v I honestly can't imagine how you'd say that about Bayonetta's wide and varied locations so I'm curious to see where you feel DmC succeeded and Bayonetta fails based off what we've seen of the former.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 21, 2012

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I didnt really care for the art. The PS3 seemed to have a lot of bloom and with a lot of the crap on the walls and those spinning shard enemies it looked like broken polygons that didnt load right. I get that they were trying for a style with the ink streaks and what not but it just didnt do it for me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Not really. The Paradiso levels, maybe at a stretch. The rest of it? The baroque setting of Vigrid and the art-Deco Isla del Sol? I'd have to disagree.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

So you're saying Bayonetta's art design/environments are something you don't even know what it means? I get you like the game but going "No, the thing you like sucks" in response to criticism is pretty silly. You just admitted yourself you don't even know what he means, but he said something bad about DmC and good about Bayonetta so it's time to level the exact same insult towards Bayonetta.
I just don't think Bayonetta is a high water mark for art design that DmC should be thrown up against, when personally it wasn't all that great. DmC will never come close to Bayonetta in gameplay, though.

I'll write up a bigger post when I get some time at work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I just don't think Bayonetta is a high water mark for art design that DmC should be thrown up against, when personally it wasn't all that great. DmC will never come close to Bayonetta in gameplay, though.

Cool, I'd like to see it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

But Bayonetta isn't about the being artsy, it's about the mechanics, which is a fundamental difference between Platinum and Ninja Theory. Just look at the game play in Metal Gear Rising and you can see that they're looking to achieve different things. NT has succeeded in creating some really, really cool looking environments, but that's about it. Complain about it not being a true Metal Gear all you want, but it's more of a successor to Devil May Cry than this miscarriage could ever hope to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Miracle posted:

But Bayonetta isn't about the being artsy, it's about the mechanics, which is a fundamental difference between Platinum and Ninja Theory. Just look at the game play in Metal Gear Rising and you can see that they're looking to achieve different things. NT has succeeded in creating some really, really cool looking environments, but that's about it. Complain about it not being a true Metal Gear all you want, but it's more of a successor to Devil May Cry than this miscarriage could ever hope to be.

To be honest it really isn't. At least the demo of Metal Gear is a lot less focused on combos and such and a not more focused on aggressive movement. You don't worry about lengthy combos or style, it is about using your parry mechanic to keep things going. It reminds me more of Godhand than it does of Bayonetta or DMC.

I mean I absolutely love what I've played of MGR, but it's not a DMC successor. :smith: It's just a fantastic action game of a different type.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIIWjL2hvE

I have a capture card so I was streaming the DmC demo for some friends.

I unlocked Son of Sparda (the highest available difficulty) and tried running the boss.

This is what I got.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

Cool, I'd like to see it.

Note: This post does not concern gameplay or gameplay interaction with environments.

One of the things I really disliked about Bayonetta's artstyle is its intended over-the-top ridiculousness went... well, too far. I believe both Bayonetta and the new DmC have bad character design but in different directions. While Bayonetta is an iconic-looking character, she's also dressed in the most ridiculous, exaggerated way possible. Same goes for literally every other character in the game. The enemy designs have mostly the same issue -- with a few exceptions here and there -- in that the mixture of angelic features and demonic auras comes across as hamfisted as some of the enemy designs in DmC (I especially got tired of the gratuitous amount of statue babyfaces in Bayonetta). I get the intent, and know that the particular art style of the game was done on purpose, but I think it was just so exaggerated it became weird, and uncomfortable to watch sometimes.

DmC, however, has a similar problem. Some of its characters have that Bayonetta-esque ridiculousness (Vergil and his fedora is like Luka with his out-of-place scarf), but in a different direction: They're trying to nail a 90s Linkin Park-esque angstfest and failing; in capable hands, it could be done well, but I don't think NT hit the mark here. Then again, I am one of the few who doesn't have a problem with new Dante's design.

The main reason I prefer DmC's art design is, ultimately, its environments. While it probably has less interactivity than Bayonetta does, the ideas and concepts are far more original/interesting. The idea of the world shifting and breaking as the demon world peeks into the real world is awesome and visually stunning. I especially like the constantly moving light and cloud cover bathing the game's first level. We've also seen peeks at later levels which are so out-there visually that it draws strong parallels to El Shaddai; the concepts are even similar, too. Dante goes into a demon's specific realm in the same way Enoch traveled to the worlds that the fallen Watchers had created. To me, I can see how instead of relying on DMC art tropes such as Gothic architecture, they've concocted some of the most original environment ideas that the NT team has ever done, and some of the most interesting I've ever seen.

Of course, I loved El Shaddai. It also shares the same simplistic, shallow combat that DmC does as well as the flair for ridiculous character design, but the environment design alone saved the entire game for me, and it looks like it's doing the same for me with DmC.

My only true disappointment, as stated before, is the lack of Nitin Sawhney and the terrible music, not that DMC has ever been known for good music or anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Note: This post does not concern gameplay or gameplay interaction with environments.

One of the things I really disliked about Bayonetta's artstyle is its intended over-the-top ridiculousness went... well, too far. I believe both Bayonetta and the new DmC have bad character design but in different directions. While Bayonetta is an iconic-looking character, she's also dressed in the most ridiculous, exaggerated way possible. Same goes for literally every other character in the game. The enemy designs have mostly the same issue -- with a few exceptions here and there -- in that the mixture of angelic features and demonic auras comes across as hamfisted as some of the enemy designs in DmC (I especially got tired of the gratuitous amount of statue babyfaces in Bayonetta). I get the intent, and know that the particular art style of the game was done on purpose, but I think it was just so exaggerated it became weird, and uncomfortable to watch sometimes.

DmC, however, has a similar problem. Some of its characters have that Bayonetta-esque ridiculousness (Vergil and his fedora is like Luka with his out-of-place scarf), but in a different direction: They're trying to nail a 90s Linkin Park-esque angstfest and failing; in capable hands, it could be done well, but I don't think NT hit the mark here. Then again, I am one of the few who doesn't have a problem with new Dante's design.

The main reason I prefer DmC's art design is, ultimately, its environments. While it probably has less interactivity than Bayonetta does, the ideas and concepts are far more original/interesting. The idea of the world shifting and breaking as the demon world peeks into the real world is awesome and visually stunning. I especially like the constantly moving light and cloud cover bathing the game's first level. We've also seen peeks at later levels which are so out-there visually that it draws strong parallels to El Shaddai; the concepts are even similar, too. Dante goes into a demon's specific realm in the same way Enoch traveled to the worlds that the fallen Watchers had created. To me, I can see how instead of relying on DMC art tropes such as Gothic architecture, they've concocted some of the most original environment ideas that the NT team has ever done, and some of the most interesting I've ever seen.

Of course, I loved El Shaddai. It also shares the same simplistic, shallow combat that DmC does as well as the flair for ridiculous character design, but the environment design alone saved the entire game for me, and it looks like it's doing the same for me with DmC.

My only true disappointment, as stated before, is the lack of Nitin Sawhney and the terrible music, not that DMC has ever been known for good music or anything.

Seems pretty reasonable. I really thought that Bayonetta had some fairly distinctive levels as well, but I can understand if they went too far into the excessive for you. Thanks! This thread gets awful negative sometimes (and I certainly contribute to that) so I liked hearing an alternate opinion.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

sandpiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIIWjL2hvE

I have a capture card so I was streaming the DmC demo for some friends.

I unlocked Son of Sparda (the highest available difficulty) and tried running the boss.

This is what I got.

Also just to be clear I really did like the aesthetic and environments. They did a great job here. As an animator and artist myself it's very appealing to the eyes.

However, that's where my praise ends.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

sandpiper posted:

Also just to be clear I really did like the aesthetic and environments. They did a great job here. As an animator and artist myself it's very appealing to the eyes.

If nothing else, I hope they continue to find work if this game bombs.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: If they manage to get their act together, get their heads out of their arses and realise they're running a business, not an arts program, then fine. Their enviroments are really nice to look at, and it's obvious they've got some talented people working for them, the downside comes to the "game" aspect of the the game. And the stories too, if this and Enslaved are any indication.

sandpiper posted:

Your first attempt shows off a move I don't think I've seen it do before - the puke-spikes coming up from the ground.

It's pretty bad that they're breaking up the combat with those loving cutscenes though - you were only a few hits away from a SSS, and the game goes "NOPE! Cutscene time!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Well I can't argue with your opinion (that would be stupid) but I feel like Bayonetta is really a beautiful game where all the enemies and the environment and the player character really mesh and it all feels like one world. Sure it's flamboyant and Japanese but that's okay. And the monsters have really cool designs, both the facades and the meaty bits that show up when the facade starts falling off.

DmC is... not bad. It's quite colorful without being garish but I'm not really impressed with either the characters or the monsters. And some of the effects are really weird, like the skybox going nuts and flipping out when the world starts to transform (at least I hope that wasn't a graphics glitch.)

Edit: And one more thing. That Bill O'Reilly guy, I think they tried to give him a comb-over but really it looks like he's sporting a ridiculous half-shave haircut that you'd expect to see in a rave or on a dwarf from Witcher 2.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 22, 2012

• Locked thread