Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
That's strange, I'm using Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3 and all the usual ways of pulling up the addon manager work fine.

E: Probably because I haven't got the notification for the FF17 update yet. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Maybe its a specific setting I have in TabMixPlus, but it's a known issue over at there forums with lots of people complaining, apparently their current dev build fixes this. I'll probably just wait for the update to get patched through Firefox since it's not a big deal.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Im_Special posted:

Maybe its a specific setting I have in TabMixPlus, but it's a known issue over at there forums with lots of people complaining, apparently their current dev build fixes this.

I'll never understand why (non-abandoned) add-ons have trouble fixing their stuff before the final release of a given version. Everyone should know by now that there's a new release every 6 weeks, and that there's plenty of time to test your code against nightlies, alphas, and betas.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Aurora 19 for OSX should hurry up imo, I want my restyled tabs!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Modus Trollens posted:

Aurora 19 for OSX should hurry up imo, I want my restyled tabs!

Whaaaa? Where do I find more information about this?

[EDIT]:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_19/Test_Plan
and
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Tab_Strip_Visual_Redesign

??

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
The Release Notes for FF17 claim that it supports ECMAScript's String.contains : https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/String/contains

But I can’t get it to work. Is this because I am stupid?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Sergeant Rock posted:

The Release Notes for FF17 claim that it supports ECMAScript's String.contains : https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/String/contains

But I can’t get it to work. Is this because I am stupid?

It was backed out: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793781

Edit: I fixed the wiki page too.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 21, 2012

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

yeah thats what I was reffering too

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I just tried an early Aurora build of version 19 for Windows and it doesn't have the new tab strip style. Has it been backed out again?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I know it's a long shot, but here it goes. Is there any way to permanently block a plugin from re-enabling itself, or at least get Firefox to throw up a prompt when one is changed? Oracle in their wisdom always re-enable Java when you install updates and because I didn't remember to disable it again I got popped by an exploit last night. The only thing that saved me was MCE and Windows firewall throwing up an allow/deny prompt. If there's anyway to setup a permanent kill file similar to how you could block certain ActiveX controls in IE would be great.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
You could set plugins.click_to_play to true, but that would work on everything, including flash or quicktime or whatever else you have installed. That wouldn't stop Java from re-enabling itself, but Firefox wouldn't actually load the plugin without your consent.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

The Dark One posted:

You could set plugins.click_to_play to true, but that would work on everything, including flash or quicktime or whatever else you have installed. That wouldn't stop Java from re-enabling itself, but Firefox wouldn't actually load the plugin without your consent.

I didn't know you could do this, is there then any reason to have flashblock installed as an addon?

(assuming it uses extra RAM or something)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Modus Trollens posted:

I didn't know you could do this, is there then any reason to have flashblock installed as an addon?

(assuming it uses extra RAM or something)

With Flashblock, you can activate individual instances of Flash or Silverlight on any page. So you can load a video that's relevant and leave the ads blocked. The in-built Firefox plugin blocking either blocks or activate all instances of a plugin on a page.

All you x64 lovers can kiss goodbye to the hope of any official Firefox builds coming out in the foreseeable future: nightly x64 builds on Windows have been scrapped.

Source.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 22, 2012

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else have the problem where TWO new tabs open when you click on a link? (link to different domain)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

With Flashblock, you can activate individual instances of Flash or Silverlight on any page. So you can load a video that's relevant and leave the ads blocked. The in-built Firefox plugin blocking either blocks or activate all instances of a plugin on a page.
That's not true, plug-in click-to-play allows you to activate individual items for playback. For example, if you got to a lovely site with a bunch of Flash ads, you can activate only the video you want and not load the ads. Saving rules for sites allows you to activate all plug-ins, or just certain ones (Flash/Java).

Edit: It may have worked like you said at one point, you're right that that wouldn't have been very useful so I wouldn't have started using it until it switched to the current behavior. I feel like they started adding this in Firefox 14 but they added saving site preferences in 16 (I've also been on Aurora so long that it always feels like features were added 3+ months ago for me).

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 22, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

That's not true, plug-in click-to-play allows you to activate individual items for playback. For example, if you got to a lovely site with a bunch of Flash ads, you can activate only the video you want and not load the ads. Saving rules for sites allows you to activate all plug-ins, or just certain ones (Flash/Java).

Whoopsy daisy, thanks for the correction. I'll file that last post under silly me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PirateBob posted:

Anyone else have the problem where TWO new tabs open when you click on a link? (link to different domain)
I used to get up to five new tabs on certain links. I don't remember the last time I had it.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Alereon posted:

Edit: It may have worked like you said at one point, you're right that that wouldn't have been very useful so I wouldn't have started using it until it switched to the current behavior. I feel like they started adding this in Firefox 14 but they added saving site preferences in 16 (I've also been on Aurora so long that it always feels like features were added 3+ months ago for me).

Yep, that works great thanks, one less addon.

And yeah I'm on Aurora too so I have no idea when people get features I've had forever

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

I'm on Firefox 17.0 stable, Windows 7, and I don't see any option to activate individual items, save rules per-site, or apply different settings for different plugins.

I can enable each flash embed separately my manually clicking on them, but there's no rules I can see.

Also, I have nightly installed too - I just checked that and still don't see any of the options you're talking about.

Can you screenshot the options you're talking about?
This is all I see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think I've forgotten why I switched to Firefox to Chrome in the first place. It definitely seems to have a lot more crashes or ~10 second freezes that Chrome or Opera did. Quite tempted to switch back, since the only extension I think I use all that often now (Invisible Hand) has a Chrome equivalent and the rest of my usage is mostly through bookmarklets for sharing to Twitter etc.

I'm hoping to be convinced to stick with Firefox so I don't need to go saving passwords and exporting bookmarks etc all over again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

wooger posted:

Can you screenshot the options you're talking about?
This is all I see.
I'm pretty sure those options only appear on a site that has multiple plug-ins, though I could be totally mis-remembering. I went poking around but couldn't find a site with multiple plug-ins (e.g, Java and Flash) to test on. I suppose I may just have been on the crack, but I could have sworn I saw screenshots of the UI elements for this quite some time ago.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think I've forgotten why I switched to Firefox to Chrome in the first place. It definitely seems to have a lot more crashes or ~10 second freezes that Chrome or Opera did. Quite tempted to switch back, since the only extension I think I use all that often now (Invisible Hand) has a Chrome equivalent and the rest of my usage is mostly through bookmarklets for sharing to Twitter etc.

I'm hoping to be convinced to stick with Firefox so I don't need to go saving passwords and exporting bookmarks etc all over again.
None of that really should be happening, but there's a lot of possible causes. In general, Firefox is very sensitive to problems with your graphics drivers and anything that causes slow disk performance. My main suggestions are to start with a clean Firefox profile, run Crystal Disk Info to make sure none of your harddrives show Caution, update to the latest graphics drivers from your adapter manufacturer (AMD/nVidia/Intel), run CCleaner, then run MyDefrag to speed up disk accesses. Also, make sure you don't have any non-Microsoft antivirus programs, especially any that install Firefox plug-ins. There's just no way to get acceptable Firefox performance while it has a a lovely antivirus plug-in installed, yet for some reason nearly all of them like to break your browser by installing one. With all that done you should notice your system in general, and Firefox, running much smoother. Note that hardware acceleration is a critical aspect of performance in any browser, you must have Vista or higher with all updates installed, current graphics drivers, and Aero enabled.

In general terms Chrome is faster and uses less memory when you have a small number of tabs, but Firefox scales better, so if you have more than a handful of tabs it will be the better choice.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'll run Crystal Disk later on and hopefully build a clean Firefox profile this weekend. As far as I know my graphics card drivers are up to date and though I have AVG installed the plugin for it is disabled. I suppose I haven't done a defrag in a while either so I'll get that done tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it'll all be okay after that! I usually have between 5 and 12 tabs open at a time across two windows.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Did Firefox 17 change the default behaviour of alt+mousewheel scrolling?

I found these settings in about:config, but I don't know what values need to be applied to get it to the way I like. Can anyone help?

mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_z
mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_y
mousewheel.with_alt.delta_multiplier_x
mousewheel.with_alt.action

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do I stop firefox from popping up with update notifications? I've downgraded to 16.02 because of issues with 17.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

I'll run Crystal Disk later on and hopefully build a clean Firefox profile this weekend. As far as I know my graphics card drivers are up to date and though I have AVG installed the plugin for it is disabled. I suppose I haven't done a defrag in a while either so I'll get that done tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it'll all be okay after that! I usually have between 5 and 12 tabs open at a time across two windows.

I'll note I was unimpressed with the performance of Invisible Hand back when I had it installed (years ago), so Invisible Hand could be the source of your slowdowns. Firefox is very much susceptible to degraded performance due to badly coded add-ons.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

I'd suggest completely uninstalling AVG, even disabling the plug-in or the app itself doesn't undo theussyes non-Microsoft AV programs cause. Microsoft Security Essentials is free, won't slow down your machine, and won't cause system problems.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

How do I stop firefox from popping up with update notifications? I've downgraded to 16.02 because of issues with 17.

Preferences -> Advanced -> Update -> "Never check for updates".

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

PirateBob posted:

What issues? A better solution is to fix the problems than pretend they don't exist.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Fangs404 posted:

What issues? A better solution is to fix the problems than pretend they don't exist.

I don't program Firefox extensions and I shouldn't be expected to.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

pokecapn posted:

I don't program Firefox extensions and I shouldn't be expected to.

Unless I missed something, he didn't explain his problem. All he said is that 2 new tabs are opening when clicking a link. There could be a variety of causes. He should go through the steps outlined in the OP to isolate and correct the problem. Reverting to a previous version should be the absolute last resort.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He probably just wants to use his web browser.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

withak posted:

He probably just wants to use his web browser.

Reverting to a previous version potentially leaves you open to security risks. To each his own, though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kapinga posted:

I'll note I was unimpressed with the performance of Invisible Hand back when I had it installed (years ago), so Invisible Hand could be the source of your slowdowns. Firefox is very much susceptible to degraded performance due to badly coded add-ons.
All the issues were happening long before I installed InvisibleHand so it must have been something else. Want be at my PC much this week so I can't really say if things have improved for a while though.

As for AVG, I guess it's just me being old fashioned and being used to having to have some third party AV in the machine. I'm almost tempted to flatten and reinstall my computer sometime over Christmas given its overall performance on some random software so I'll stick with Windows' own AV once I do that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Firefox has decided to stop support for 64-bit nightly builds.

Good job making bad decisions, Firefox.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

There's always Waterfox if you want a 64-bit build, so it's not that bad.

e: Or does that rely on the official builds?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I'd rather they focus on one instead of splitting there time working on 2, 64bit adds nothing anyway besides more problems and more memory space, but considering Firefox's memory usage we don't “really” need more than 4gb of ram. This whole illusion that 64bit can bring performance improvements over 32bit needs to stop already, it doesn't always hold true for everything 32bit vs 64bit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Read posted:

There's always Waterfox if you want a 64-bit build, so it's not that bad.

e: Or does that rely on the official builds?

Waterfox guy does his own builds, and never works off of those nightlies.

Im_Special posted:

I'd rather they focus on one instead of splitting there time working on 2, 64bit adds nothing anyway besides more problems and more memory space, but considering Firefox's memory usage we don't “really” need more than 4gb of ram. This whole illusion that 64bit can bring performance improvements over 32bit needs to stop already, it doesn't always hold true for everything 32bit vs 64bit.

Runs faster/better for me, chief. Particularly when using Java or Flash stuff since the 64 bit versions run better.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
This has bothered me for a long time, but is there some extension or hotkey to move the focus of my cursor out of embedded content(youtube video, pdf, etc) and back to my main browser window?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Third Man posted:

This has bothered me for a long time, but is there some extension or hotkey to move the focus of my cursor out of embedded content(youtube video, pdf, etc) and back to my main browser window?

Related: Why does flash/youtube intercept my keyboard volume controls and then not even use them to adjust the widget's volume. Whenever I need to change volume while watching one I always have to click out of it first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Netscape plugin API has no way to pass keyboard events back up to the browser, so if the plugin has the keyboard focus and gets a key event it doesn't respond to, it has nowhere to punt it.