Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

b0lt posted:

Selfish Basalts in Kanji's dungeon resist all out attacks, but not regular attacks :psyduck:

AoAs are considered Almighty, not Physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Volt Catfish posted:

It's not GOTY unless they made Naoto viable.

Did...did they?

Yes. Check the OP for their new skillsets. Someone has a chance to learn all four -Dynes. :getin:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like Chie's new voice :shobon: I never liked the old voice though.

Volt Catfish posted:

It's not GOTY unless they made Naoto viable.

Did...did they?

I haven't gotten that far yet but looking at the changes in the OP they did. Naoto has no weaknesses (everyone else keeps a weakness now), gets the skill that evades every element, can learn every -Dyne spell and Mind Charge, gets Heat Riser (raises every stat on a character), now gets the spells that can reflect a physical or magic attack, and since the spells are all mana heavy gets passive MP regen.

Seems alright!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ryotaro was voiced by J. B. Blanc? It's always sounded just like David Lodge to me, maybe there was some confirmation I wasn't aware of.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Starting over on Easy. The changes to the enemies and the game are really throwing me for a loop from the game I played just a month ago. :negative:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gah, I keep forgetting it's different from P3P, you can Social Link with someone OR go to the dungeon, not both.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Finally get to sit down and play, and Yu Narukami fits the name spaces. Man, picking a name was so much easier this time :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Finally get to sit down and play, and Yu Narukami fits the name spaces. Man, picking a name was so much easier this time :v:

Yeah I did the same thing, I want to get back to the P4 Arena story mode after this and it would be weird to see him changing names again

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh man oh man oh man, I get my paycheck tomorrow which means I can finally get my treadmill along with a Vita and P4G. This game will help me to climb the stairway to maturity (and not fatness)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Schubalts posted:

I'm going to try making his personality as close to the anime as possible. I have a feeling this is going to bite me in the rear end when I get to the social links.

:j: "I sit next to you in class, remember?"
:geno: "You do?"

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Fauxtool posted:

im honestly surprised there is no dual audio. Atlus did the localization for p4 arena too and it was dual audio. That game also had a huge amount of VA in the single player

P4A was also region locked because it was dual audio.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

You became friends with Yosuke! Yosuke will now die for you... wake up a knocked down ally in battle?

I guess it makes a bit more sense this way.

e: Oh god why is King Moron calling me at night :gonk:

e2: Oh god the Shiroku Pub

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 22, 2012

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Ha, I did some grinding, got to level 16ish and absolutely thrashed Yukiko's fight. I had a fire resistant persona with Red Wall all ready to go and just kept Red Wall up on Chie. It seems they switched the weaknesses over in that fight... it is weak to ice and the partner is not. Oh well, Chie never got hit by fire and it was a comfortable fight. I'm playing on Hard and it seems to be a pretty good difficulty, seems to me to be about as difficult as my first playthrough on Normal.

I love helping people with the SoS thing and reading their messages later. I rarely get more than 1 person encouraging me in a fight though.

They added a lot of stuff to do in the day, I am really short on time at the moment, I just want to get Yosuke and Chie's links higher...

What link do they start dying for you in battle?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Whaa, there's no 0 AD? Man, I might actually learn things in Golden!

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I'm loving how the more critics scores are added, the higher P4G's metacritic gets.

Warms my heart. :3:

PS: GET THIS GAME IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT.

PSS: Honestly, it's worth buying a Vita for P4G. Not only because P4G is phenomenal, but because the Vita is an awesome piece of hardware that is greatly under-appreciated at the moment.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 22, 2012

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I'm loving how the more critics scores are added, the higher P4G's metacritic gets.

Warms my heart. :3:

PS: GET THIS GAME IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT.

PSS: Honestly, it's worth buying a Vita for P4G. Not only because P4G is phenomenal, but because the Vita is an awesome piece of hardware that is greatly under-appreciated at the moment.
^^^^
Definitely seconding this. I started playing yesterday and have 8 hours into it already.

Also

haha, holy poo poo its universally acclaimed! Not a single review labelled as "mixed" or "poor". That's pretty drat unusual.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is also a shining example of how to do a meaningful port. They added so much poo poo that it's totally worth it for even people who played the vanilla version to death. They tweaked a bunch of stuff and straight up cut out all the unnecessary bullshit like reloading skills and the shuffle time mini-game.

They also added a bunch of cool extra stuff that they didn't have to like the whole tv thing in the extra menu (which isn't just a place to view old cinematics like I originally thought it was)

[e] I'm kinda disappointed that they took out the crazy Japanese food you don't know anything about when cooking.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 22, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm honestly fine with Chie's new VA. Some of the line readings may be awkward, but I'll deal with that because the old "Aha! Is this our chance?" grated the poo poo out of me. This one, not so much.

Loving the player voice feature, although it can give you some tiny, insignificant spoilers like if eating from the fridge will turn you in for the night. Also helped me figure out how to start Marie's link.

EDIT: Are party members suppose to have voiced lines when they say things in the dungeon? I noticed the music volume goes down when the dialogue box appears, but they don't say anything.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DrManiac posted:

[e] I'm kinda disappointed that they took out the crazy Japanese food you don't know anything about when cooking.
I'm so bad at cooking that almost all food is crazy food I don't know anything about. :downs:

Holy poo poo the new Shuffle Time is awesome. I never really used it in vanilla P4 because the only worthwhile stuff you'd get were Persona cards and even those were mostly useful for fusion fodder. Arcana Chance was pointless, because why in the hell would I want to risk getting 1 EXP from the next ten fights or have my persona's stats decreased or some poo poo like that? The rewards were occasionally nice, but it just wasn't worth it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

EDIT: Are party members suppose to have voiced lines when they say things in the dungeon? I noticed the music volume goes down when the dialogue box appears, but they don't say anything.

Not all of the time, no.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Arcana Chance was pointless, because why in the hell would I want to risk getting 1 EXP from the next ten fights or have my persona's stats decreased or some poo poo like that? The rewards were occasionally nice, but it just wasn't worth it.

Arcana Chance was always pretty easy to manipulate from what I remember, it's just that the really good stuff like extra exp, money, and healing all of your stuff was always so rare that it begs the question why it was ever really worth it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
This is probably old, but I can't get over how well it fits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdRI9xGTUlY

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

It's funny- earlier this year, I was all stoked to get a Vita just to play P4G since I had just finished P3P. After a while I decided, "You know, I'll just play the PS2 version. It'll be mostly the same game and way cheaper that way." Well, turns out that backfired- I liked the PS2 game so much that I was totally willing to grab the Vita just to play Golden. I have no regrets :colbert:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The biggest thing for me is scene skip. I see there's a feature in the OP, but what does it entail? Can everything with text be skipped instantly? I love playing the game but there's some things I rather skip on replays.

There's some good deals on the Vita but I'm really having trouble pulling the trigger for one just game. I'm so close to doing it. I already bought a 3DS just for Fire Emblem Awakening.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Oh yeah, what triggers the new combination attack things? Chie and Yukiko did one in a battle and I have no idea how, but it was awesome.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

The biggest thing for me is scene skip. I see there's a feature in the OP, but what does it entail? Can everything with text be skipped instantly? I love playing the game but there's some things I rather skip on replays.

You hit Start during a cutscene to bring the option up. Hit Start again to zip through the cutscene, and Start another time to resume it.

There's a text log for cutscenes if you press Select, too. It even replay the specific voice clip for each line.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

^^ e:fb

Lord Ephraim posted:

Press Start during any dialogue/cut-scene/etc... and it'll start fast-forwarding through the dialogue very quickly. The Fast-forwarding will stop temporarily if there is a choice you have to make, but after you select it it'll resume fast-forwarding. Pressing Start again, as you might guess, stops the skipping.

As a nice little touch, it actually puts a classic "screen-tear" that happens to your TV when you fast-forward a VHS Movie.

sokamish
Sep 4, 2011
one of the things that i'm loving most about this game so far is how easy it is to get chest keys. That was so obnoxious in the original and now hey, it's in shuffle time, COOL! Also would a team of chie yosuke teddie be viable throughout the game? i tried the opposite on the console and i'm a bit worried about double weakness. Will that be too big of an issue?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

Oh yeah, what triggers the new combination attack things? Chie and Yukiko did one in a battle and I have no idea how, but it was awesome.

It'll randomly activate if you have any enemies left after an All-Out Attack.

The other two are Yosuke+Teddie and Naoto+Kanji.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Must not read thread. Must not be spoiled. :staredog:

How are you supposed to kill gold monsters again? Is it just buff/debuff and hope for the best or is there a trick to it?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

The early ones (don't remember about later) don't resist Almighty, so if you can get an all out attack off on one from a critical hit you're good. Usually I just rush and hope I get a crit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How does Card Shuffle work now? I'm used to the three card monty from P3P. This game's Shuffle just seems to be... pick the card while it's face up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Making my way through the first dungeon, and... uh... did I just hear some creepy groaning and the sound of chains rattling, something that is all too familiar from Persona 3? :gonk:

I didn't hang around to check if that was the case.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That's it. You pick your cards directly now, with knockdowns and All-Out-Attacks increasing your chance of getting Shuffle Time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I know this isn't all that important compared to all the other gameplay elements that were added for this port, but I just can't get over how gorgeous everything looks in this game. The environments, the details in the Persona designs that I never noticed before, just... everything. It's crisp and clear and lovingly rendered.

It's like I'm wearing the glasses and the fog doesn't exist.

Also, cleared the castle earlier today, and say what you want about Chie's new voice, but at least now she:
1) sounds like a teenager;
2) actually emotes during her scenes.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Making my way through the first dungeon, and... uh... did I just hear some creepy groaning and the sound of chains rattling, something that is all too familiar from Persona 3? :gonk:

I didn't hang around to check if that was the case.

Yeah, I was hearing that, too... but they wouldn't do that in the main game before New Game+...

... would they? :ohdear:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, cleared the castle earlier today, and say what you want about Chie's new voice, but at least now she:
1) sounds like a teenager;
2) actually emotes during her scenes.

I'm like 15 hours in and to me the VA has gotten much better as I went on; I might just be getting used to the new voice but the end result is the same.

She also nails any line about steak, which is hilarious.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I was hearing that, too... but they wouldn't do that in the main game before New Game+...

I dunno, but as soon as I heard it I hightailed out of there. I love the new teleport to stairs function.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't know about that but Teddie was really insistent on me not opening a terrifying treasure chest

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

sokamish posted:

Also would a team of chie yosuke teddie be viable throughout the game? i tried the opposite on the console and i'm a bit worried about double weakness. Will that be too big of an issue?

You'll be fine, there are always workarounds. In both P3 and P4, virtually any team composition can be successful and beat the game. In the case of your double weakness to electric, you can use the "Blue Wall" skill and liberally Guard whenever needed. They also added some new skills to all the party members, "Evade Elec" being given to both Teddie and Yosuke, which will help, especially if you pair that with +Evade Electric accessories. In case you also didn't notice, your team will also have the problem of double-bufu (Chie and Teddie) users. Again, this isn't really a big deal. Just be aware that your MC will need to pick up the slack and be in charge of 4 elements (zio/agi/mudo/hama) for knockdowns, so fuse your Persona's accordingly!

Teddie+Yosuke is also a great combo in P4G specifically because (minor gameplay spoiler, not story spoiler) like Sex_Ferguson mentioned, They're one of the combos to randomly perform a Combination Attack after an AoA, along with Yukiko+Chie, and Kanji+Naoto

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

To kill the rare hands, debuff their defence, and just wail on them hoping for a crit. Yukiko might be better off using fire spells because they do more a lot more than her pitiful attack damage, but then you're giving up the chance for an AoA from her getting a crit. Chie's rampage is great for this too, so it might be worth buffing her attack so she can aoe the 3 hands down together. In the second big dungeon, I was getting the third hand down to about 30% before it ran away, and the other two were killed no problem.

• Locked thread