Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Nooooo! So sorry. :(

Coccidiosis does not always present with bloody droppings, for what it's worth. And it's damned quick to kill the young birds, I've noticed.

But rales (that chest rattle) doesn't sound like cocci, but more of a respiratory issue. If it's infectious coryza I'd suggest Sulmet, it's a sulfa-based medication. Also, with respiratory illnesses, chickens tend to quit eating & drinking so watch your other birds and be prepared to keep them warm to help dry them out if needed.

Dammit, why IS it always your favorites?! :( drat, Nettle, you've had a rough year with your chickens.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry to hear of your loss, Nettle. :smith:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Nettle Soup posted:

Heatlamps tend to burn out when you least expect it, makes sure you have a spare bulb on hand, they're pretty temperamental.

Flora just died. ._.

Sunday, Twilight died, I went out and she'd had a funny turn, but she'd done that before and a couple of hours in the house had perked up her up again to being fine.

Then Flora had a rattly chest and I bought her inside, she was still eating a bit but if I tried to give her water it just seemed to make her worse. I just went down for the morning check and she was dead.

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith: :smith: :smith: I've bought some Coxid, dunno if it's that, I haven't seen any blood in her droppings and there's a lot of them covering the bathroom floor right now, but I'm seriously sad :smith: Why is it always your favourites...

I just went through your post history. It really has been a tough year for you. I know that you gave them a great life though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think maybe it's the same thing they're all getting, The first couple we lost a year back and these, maybe it's something off the wild birds or that the older birds are carriers of...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 21, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Oh noooo, NettleSoup I'm so sorry to hear about Flora, jeez dammit. She was so beautiful, :sympathy:

Did you speak about getting some battery hens a while ago? I know they could not replace Flora but provide some sense of comfort for you?

Reading about how you and VS take care of your chickens and hearing all the great stories but yet the heartbreak, makes me worried about starting up a small flock. I guess as with any pet happy times come with the sad times.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Nettle, one thing to consider is fowl cholera. It tends to make chickens suddenly drop dead, and one of the outward symptoms is cyanosis of the comb/wattles...did her comb & wattles turn blue just before she died?

We're pretty sure that Moet will be leaving us tonight, she has refused food & water today and just sleeps all the time. We all held her, petted her and told her what a great girl she is.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nettle, one thing to consider is fowl cholera. It tends to make chickens suddenly drop dead, and one of the outward symptoms is cyanosis of the comb/wattles...did her comb & wattles turn blue just before she died?

We're pretty sure that Moet will be leaving us tonight, she has refused food & water today and just sleeps all the time. We all held her, petted her and told her what a great girl she is.

Oh dear VS, so sorry about Moet. Is she the hen without a tongue, was it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

piscesbobbie posted:

Did you speak about getting some battery hens a while ago? I know they could not replace Flora but provide some sense of comfort for you?

We got 3 battery hens yeah, they're sweet little things, run over and peck my shoes when I go in to feed them. They were with the lady for 2-3 months before we got them so they're not in terrible condition.

Floras comb didn't go blue that I noticed, but she never had much of one anyway, I know our first Roos did. Looking at the symptoms on Google, that may be it, she was crapping bright green but I thought that was normal since she wasn't eating much...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 22, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I'm so sorry VS and NS, you guys are such great people and your chickens have been so lucky in having you as their owners/family.

:sympathy:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yeah, I had a run with Fowl Cholera that cost me 7 hens in 5 weeks before I realized what it was, and that was only due to me noticing the last one had a blue comb just before she died. I was going crazy trying to figure it out, since not one of them acted sick at all--just dropped dead. :smith: It's insidious, kills like lightning out of loving nowhere and I hate it.

Yes, Moet is the one who lost her tongue and has raised several broods, the latest were the Chickam chicks from 2009. Sorry, but I love these pictures of when she led them all up onto the couch one night to sleep, doing her best to cover three huge Americaunas and one bantam chick:

I was going to see if she or Boots would go broody next Spring, if they did they'd be Chickam mamas. Guess Mo won't get the chance...

She's one of my favorites, this is going to be a hard day. Today she isn't moving at all, we've got her wrapped in a towel to help keep her warm and comfy and are giving her pets every few minutes.

Good girl, Mo. Good girl. It won't be long now.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 22, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've put Abacus in the bathroom, he's bright eyed but he's showing all the same signs poor Thorax did. No blue comb yet but his depth perception is going, he's not crowed in a while and he's unsteady on his feet, if something takes him by surprise he loses his balance and falls over. Gonna go down to the vet tomorrow and beg some Tetracycline.

I shall feed them all the antibiotics in the world. :byodame:

Sorry about your Mo, Velvet. :( At least she had a good run...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 22, 2012

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Moet just left us. :smith:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS and 12_String, so sorry about Moet. :sympathy:
Moet is up in heaven now, taking care of Abe, Chanti and Rose I. :dings:

Nettle Soup: very sorry to hear about Flora. :sympathy:

All of ya'll are great chicken parents.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
She had a great life and was a lucky chicken VS. I'm sorry. :(

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

I've put Abacus in the bathroom, he's bright eyed but he's showing all the same signs poor Thorax did. No blue comb yet but his depth perception is going, he's not crowed in a while and he's unsteady on his feet, if something takes him by surprise he loses his balance and falls over. Gonna go down to the vet tomorrow and beg some Tetracycline.

I shall feed them all the antibiotics in the world. :byodame:

Sorry about your Mo, Velvet. :( At least she had a good run...

Thanks for the kind words about Mo everyone, tomorrow we'll put her next to Phoenix.

Sulmet, the sulfa-based liquid over-the-counter med, I believe is still the drug of choice (other than vet prescribed meds) for Fowl Cholera. Is it available where you are? I'm really worried about your birds... :ohdear: I'd treat everyone, BTW.

For those interested, I found a FANTASTIC South African pictorial guide to chicken diseases. WARNING--Graphic autopsy and very ill chicken pics :nms:--but looks like a great resource: http://www.fao-ectad-gaborone.org/en/IMG/pdf/Picture_Book-2.pdf

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 26, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The only Sulmet I can see online is £30-50 and has to be imported so I'd assume it's not available... Gonna phone the vet later anyway and I'll ask.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 23, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:sympathy: VS Moet had a great life with you, those pictures of her STRETCHING out to cover those chicks are adorable. The look on the baby chicks faces adorable.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Moet has at least left a legacy in the waves of chicks she has raised. She's probably now in there hereafter trying to fluff over Abe, Chanti, Spaghetti, Peepsquire, Rafe, and Rose I.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I don't mean to add to the :smith: in this thread, but last night a raccoon (or something) broke into our not-entirely-completed coop and killed Snuggles and Charmin.

I'm really broken up about it, and beating myself up for not getting the coop completed on time. I even thought about bringing them in last night but didn't. I miss them already. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Captain Foxy posted:

I don't mean to add to the :smith: in this thread, but last night a raccoon (or something) broke into our not-entirely-completed coop and killed Snuggles and Charmin.

I'm really broken up about it, and beating myself up for not getting the coop completed on time. I even thought about bringing them in last night but didn't. I miss them already. :(

Oh noooo Captain Foxy, dang it. :sympathy:

You all are making my nervous, will I be able to protect my hens if and when I get them. Watched a 1 hour video http://youtu.be/RIZaSQZQEzU shows a chicken swallowing a whole mouse! Interesting video about chicken behavior and stuff.

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 24, 2012

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

You all are making my nervous, will I be able to protect my hens if and when I get them. Watched a 1 hour video http://youtu.be/RIZaSQZQEzU shows a chicken swallowing a whole mouse! Interesting video about chicken behavior and stuff.

No, stories like this only make you more resolved to build Chicken Fort Knox, it's worth the initial extra time and expense in peace of mind alone. Wire with large openings, including 'chicken wire' or 'poultry netting' are made to keep chickens out of your garden, NOT for keeping predators away from your birds. Flimsy wire with lare openings allows predators and vermin to waltz right in, it may as well not even be there, that's how worthless it is. It only gives you a very false sense of security. Treat incidents like this as a learning experience. You will undoubtedly hear many more, I know I have over the years. :(

Captain Foxy, raccoons will be back, and they'll bring their friends. Don't keep chickens in that enclosure until it is loving bulletproof, you don't ever want to go through this again.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 24, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Captain Foxy posted:

The predator WILL be back. Raccoons are particularly dedicated (and clever) when it comes to getting into a place they want to be. I've seen them chew through hardware wire.

You may have to put out traps to catch the culprit who raided your coop. You might see if there's a local person/busines that traps wild animals and relocates them. You really do not want raccoons hanging around.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
We have a new coop as of yesterday morning that is double wire paneled and predator proof. There are no animals outside at the moment; the chicks will go out next spring and I plan to have a huge fence built around their secure run in addition to the aforementioned coop. I feel terrible :( I hope I never lose another bird.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Make sure there isn't some hidden weakness, like the bottom of the nestbox not being nailed down. :(

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

piscesbobbie posted:

That BBC documentary is great, saw it when it was on TV here, the behaviour bits in particular were really fascinating.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

The predator WILL be back. Raccoons are particularly dedicated (and clever) when it comes to getting into a place they want to be. I've seen them chew through hardware wire.

You may have to put out traps to catch the culprit who raided your coop. You might see if there's a local person/business that traps wild animals and relocates them. You really do not want raccoons hanging around.
We had to get a company in to set traps when one of our hens got attacked by a fox. In over three years of having hens, this was the first attack. He came back seven days later, was caught and (humanely) dealt with.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Yikes, now I'm paranoid about our run not being secure enough. We only lost chickens to hawks before we made the covered run, and I'd hope nothing could easily get in now.

Our Easter Egger, Houdini

What the chicks are currently in. To cats love to sit and watch.

I tried to do a livecam here https://new.livestream.com/accounts/2041351/events/1690676 :) I couldn't get the camera much closer without most of the enclosure not being visible and the chicks still run off to the corners where you can't see em sometimes. But it works I guess!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Customer Service posted:

Yikes, now I'm paranoid about our run not being secure enough. We only lost chickens to hawks before we made the covered run, and I'd hope nothing could easily get in now.

Our Easter Egger, Houdini

What the chicks are currently in. To cats love to sit and watch.

I tried to do a livecam here https://new.livestream.com/accounts/2041351/events/1690676 :) I couldn't get the camera much closer without most of the enclosure not being visible and the chicks still run off to the corners where you can't see em sometimes. But it works I guess!

Wow. You have great-looking coop and run. Nice job on the temporary chick cage. And Houdini has the cutest fluffy cheeks and "cape."

I checked your stream but I don't see anything? I could be me though....my old Mac computer is sort of finicky sometimes.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I've tried the above link but do not get a live broadcast either.

AWESOME looking run, something I would like to have.

I'm seeing live baby chicks taking a dustbath no sound but adorable picture!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 25, 2012

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Thank you!

And sorry about the stream, it went down earlier for a few hours when my internet cut out and I wasn't home. I'll try to get the sound working, not sure what the issue is there.

Edit: Sound works, yay. Can't see em too well in the red light and they mostly tend to sleep right where the camera can't see, figures.

Tomorrow should be a better show, maybe I can give them a clod of grass and dirt like you do, Velvet Sparrow? Would they be old enough at 3 weeks?

Customer Service fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 25, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Customer Service posted:

Thank you!

And sorry about the stream, it went down earlier for a few hours when my internet cut out and I wasn't home. I'll try to get the sound working, not sure what the issue is there.

Hi there! There was sound then gone again. Thanks for the live show though, they are ADORABLE!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hey folks the above link is working!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

[quote="Customer Service" post="409890288"]

Love the look and set up of this run! Did you purchase plans or have it professionally built or a DIY project?

Would it be best if I did something similar but go with the tiny hardware cloth? I'm worried about the wild mink

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yes, at three weeks they are old enough for a grassy dirt clod. Sacrific a huge chunk of your lawn today! :buddy:

Just make sure to trim the grass to no more than about an inch or so high--long grass gets wound up in chickens' digestive tracts and can cause a fatal blockage.
Please let us know before you put it in, the first response from the chicks is always the most hilarious.

Also, get some tiny live mealworms for a truly frenetic show!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I havent taken a lot of chicken pictures lately so I took around 130 at the last show I went to and will be posting them today in between cleaning out bird areas. Will start with Silkies!

White Silkies.

Really dark Partridge Silkie.

Lighter one with an odd tail.

Gray Silkies.

Paint silkies [Not an actual standard color, classified as AOV for judging purposes, they're basically the product of someone breeding splash to splash for years then throwing in something to darken up the spots on accident I believe.]

Buff Silkies

I tried to get some of everything for everyone and ill put them up as soon as possible.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 25, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

OHHHHHHHHH so much cuteness! Thank you Tim the Enchanter! I can't help but smile when I see pictures of those in addition to the live show by Customer Service!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Customer Service's Live Chick Cam is up and running now!

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2041351/events/1690676

Ahhh...the sweet, soothing peeping. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Man i love this one, it looks so confused.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Paint silkies [Not an actual standard color, classified as AOV for judging purposes, they're basically the product of someone breeding splash to splash for years then throwing in something to darken up the spots on accident I believe.]

Love the paint silkie, but then again I am partial to dramatic-looking black & white chickens. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah I like the paints myself when they're done right but most people end up with a washed out bad looking splash instead of the stark black and white. Sorry for late pictures, I had a lot to do today!

Frizzle Serama hen.

Serama Roos.

Serama hen.

Gray-tailed White Japanese hen.

White Japanese hen.

Black-tailed white Japanese hen.

White Japanese roo.