Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest piece by my regular contributor, looking at why Paul Dacre might be so worried about Leveson, Hackgate - Dacre's Dodgy Dossier - War Of Attrition .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I thought we all knew the Mail/Dacre were getting a section 13 notice?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I'm hearing rumors that Leveson will publish Monday. Anyone heard anything similar?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

thehustler posted:

I thought we all knew the Mail/Dacre were getting a section 13 notice?

It's been rumoured, nothing solid.

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I'm hearing rumors that Leveson will publish Monday. Anyone heard anything similar?

Let me check around.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Could be wrong but I think Murdoch trying to lesson impact on his companies should things go tits up (looks likely)

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Well that's a hopeful sign if ever I saw one.

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

It's been rumoured, nothing solid.

Let me check around.

It's being published on Thursday 29th November.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Daveman23 posted:

It's being published on Thursday 29th November.

Pretty sure Leveson is doing a speech in Australia on the 30th, so he'll be in an airplane for most of that day.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Pretty sure Leveson is doing a speech in Australia on the 30th, so he'll be in an airplane for most of that day.

So close Brown:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/22/leveson-press-standards-report

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Brown Moses posted:

Where is this speech? I will be very interested in going to see it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
He's going to be consecrating the bubbling tarpit that Rupert Murdoch crawled out of 80 years ago. I'd imagine the speech will begin with "in the name of the Holy Spirit..."

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Could be wrong but I think Murdoch trying to lesson impact on his companies should things go tits up (looks likely)

Methinks roop's section 13 letter consisted solely of an A3 printout of goatse

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The ideal Christmas present, the Leveson Inquiry Report, only £250. Alternatively there's the Leveson Report Overview for the cheap price of £29.75. Fun for all the family.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Supreme Court posted:

He's going to be consecrating the bubbling tarpit that Rupert Murdoch crawled out of 80 years ago. I'd imagine the speech will begin with "in the name of the Holy Spirit..."

Wait, seriously? He's coming to Adelaide?

e: Oh right, you meant his birthplace (Melbourne). I thought that was a reference to his first paper; The Advertiser (yes, that is actually its name).

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 22, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The ideal Christmas present, the Leveson Inquiry Report, only £250. Alternatively there's the Leveson Report Overview for the cheap price of £29.75. Fun for all the family.
Any idea what the page numbers are in both? It's not exactly heavy on the details.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Lizard Combatant posted:

Wait, seriously? He's coming to Adelaide?
He's going to wash up on Ramsey Street claiming to have lost his memory but to be the real Harold Bishop.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

So this isn't going to be free on the website? I was hoping to load it onto my kindle and read it on the way to work.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Plavski posted:

He's going to wash up on Ramsey Street claiming to have lost his memory but to be the real Harold Bishop.

Sensible enough. If he goes anywhere near Summer Bay, Alf Stewart will gently caress him up. :black101:

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

notaspy posted:

So this isn't going to be free on the website? I was hoping to load it onto my kindle and read it on the way to work.

The inquiry website says there will be a downloadable copy there "once the report has been published" (ie probably at some point on the 29th).

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Brown Moses posted:

I wonder if Mr. Jay would autograph a copy for me. :allears:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

notaspy posted:

There'll be a PDF, HTML and (knowing TSO) an XML version published probably at the same time. That money is for the published bound copy. Hilariously you buy any committee report for pretty much the same amount. Doubt there is much of a demand for that though...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Illuminati by Nature posted:

There'll be a PDF, HTML and (knowing TSO) an XML version published probably at the same time. That money is for the published bound copy. Hilariously you buy any committee report for pretty much the same amount. Doubt there is much of a demand for that though...
Hence the high costs, perhaps. Even if they let someone like Lulu do it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Murdocalypse news from Ireland, News Corp’s Irish scandal may yet prove to be Murdoch’s Achilles heel[/b], a very long article, but worth a read.

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM
Any news on those "salacious" text messages between DC and his LOL with RB?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Iohannes posted:

Any news on those "salacious" text messages between DC and his LOL with RB?

Nothing, the big money is on Rupes getting dropped in it at some point soon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brown Moses posted:

Nothing, the big money is on Rupes getting dropped in it at some point soon.

Including Rupert's, apparently. Unless he had set up one of those "sell automatically every quarter" trusts years ago, I can't see how he's not about to get in trouble for insider trading.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Including Rupert's, apparently. Unless he had set up one of those "sell automatically every quarter" trusts years ago, I can't see how he's not about to get in trouble for insider trading.

Yes, as far as I'm aware News Corp is fully away of the emails and recording, and no doubt their lawyers do to, some I'm a little surprised he's selling shares at this particular moment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Yes, as far as I'm aware News Corp is fully away of the emails and recording, and no doubt their lawyers do to, some I'm a little surprised he's selling shares at this particular moment.

Well judging by the nature of this scandal and the historical behavior of his news properties, it's clear he thinks he can get away with anything.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Brown Moses posted:

Murdocalypse news from Ireland, News Corp’s Irish scandal may yet prove to be Murdoch’s Achilles heel[/b], a very long article, but worth a read.

Thanks for that. Some really interesting insights and reporting in that. Especially about the peace process.

I'd be interested to see if NI targeted anyone south of the border. I know that there was a big ruckus in 1999 when the Mirror hacked the mobile phone of the Irish Prime Minister at the time, Bertie Ahern, and revealed it to him in his office as part of an investigation into how badly the mobile company, Eircell, had treated the security on their network. Though I wonder how long that knowledge stayed private before they presented it. I would be very interested to know how deep that went.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
It's becoming obvious certain people are making GBS threads themselves, this ran in the Daily Mail today:

https://twitter.com/DavidWooding/status/271927626648674304/photo/1

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

A quasi-masonic nexus of quangocrats?

Heaven help us...

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I think it's amusing that: 1) the best scoop the ad could come up with that the Daily Mirror has ever broken is that Prezza was having an affair, and; 2) they've managed to back-handedly compliment The Guardian since this ad links them with Leveson criticism in people's minds, which I'm assuming they don't actually agree with.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 23, 2012

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

How is that Mail headline not libel?

:psyduck: "Where would you be without sensationalist libel? Also the Guardian."

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
If the press was shackled, then the press wouldn't have discovered that the press was phone hacking? That seems a bit paradoxical to me...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Because those guys are the murderers of Stephen Lawrence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Stephen_Lawrence

Also someone needs to edit that image to show Mirror fake prisoner abuse story, Jo Yeats landlord story, Milly Dowler, etc.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I like them holding up "My Affair: By Prezza" as en example of meticulous public interest journalism.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That is perhaps the most desperate thing I have ever seen.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

marktheando posted:

Because those guys are the murderers of Stephen Lawrence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Stephen_Lawrence

Also someone needs to edit that image to show Mirror fake prisoner abuse story, Jo Yeats landlord story, Milly Dowler, etc.

The investigation that was allegedly scuppered by Ray Adams, who was friends with one of the accused fathers.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

SedanChair posted:

:psyduck: "Where would you be without sensationalist libel? Also the Guardian."
If you mean the murderers one, it's because those are the suspects in the Stephen Lawrence case. The Mail called them murderers because it was convinced that they were actually guilty, the point being it was challenging them to sue. It's a challenge they've never accepted.

It's one of the very few good things the Mail has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

It's one of the very few good things the Mail has done.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how that's "good" and not just "piling on the bloodlust" like they always do, however.

• Locked thread