Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

KozmoNaut posted:

Someone mentioned people trying to commit insurance fraud by throwing themselves on the hoods of cars. Here's a compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFZVIwW8kY

The part at 3 minutes in almost had me in tears. Given the state of driving in Russia, I've always wondered why the drivers don't just haul off and smack the scammers.

Finally one did.

I know it's wrong to laugh at what is basically an assault, but I can well imagine how pissed I would be if someone tried that on with me. Add to that the fact that all Russians seem at least slightly insane (and drunk) at all times, I'm surprised more videos of the accident scammers don't end with the 'victim' getting kicked in the head and thrown into the gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
I'm riding in a Rangie with a 3" lift on 33s and this thing towered over me this morning.

Damnit, camera, focus on the truck not the windshield!

Front driveshaft geometry is haaard! And it needs more blocks.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Kill-9 posted:

Probably 90% of the superlifted trucks like that I see here in the south are missing the front driveshaft. Also love how the springs have been re-arched so much that the shackle is now pointing at the (toothpick sized) axle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

The part at 3 minutes in almost had me in tears. Given the state of driving in Russia, I've always wondered why the drivers don't just haul off and smack the scammers.

Finally one did.

I know it's wrong to laugh at what is basically an assault, but I can well imagine how pissed I would be if someone tried that on with me. Add to that the fact that all Russians seem at least slightly insane (and drunk) at all times, I'm surprised more videos of the accident scammers don't end with the 'victim' getting kicked in the head and thrown into the gutter.

It saddens me that people have to resort to these kinds of scams involving an enormous amount of personal danger to themselves and pressure on the drivers, in order to eke out a living.

Then again, some of them are just doing it because it's profitable. gently caress them.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

KozmoNaut posted:

Someone mentioned people trying to commit insurance fraud by throwing themselves on the hoods of cars. Here's a compilation:

In Russia, insurance fraud isn't just a popular career path, it's a tool that casual drivers use every day as an expression of anger on the roads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_fQDxnKAE

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I think I'll be stopping for new wipers on the way home tonite. Also, why can't Austin traffic at 8am on a weekday always be like this?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Get some of the newer flat type. They're a little more, but work really well.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

InitialDave posted:

Get some of the newer flat type. They're a little more, but work really well.

They never have on my Volvo 850 or Fiero. The beam would lose its pressure somewhere and leave a spot completely unwiped.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

astrollinthepork posted:

They never have on my Volvo 850 or Fiero. The beam would lose its pressure somewhere and leave a spot completely unwiped.

The spring in the wiper arm really keeps these working, if its weak, the new wipers won't work well at all.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

astrollinthepork posted:

They work fine on my '99 V70, your springs may be knackered.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Given the state of driving in Russia

This Youtube channel has an amazing amount of dashcam footage, almost all from Russia (or at least Eastern Europe): http://www.youtube.com/user/CarCrashCompilation

I love how everyone sounds just like a character from S.T.A.L.K.E.R

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wait, we're talking about Russian drivers now? Ok. Here are some compilations of Russian drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXz4P6EpX3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7n5QteKTY

Half of the second one is Need for Speed: Russia

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
This one is seriously lacking in the stupid (or awesome?) driver crashing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
These videos have scared me into buying a dash cam.

I'm not kidding either:

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 24, 2012

M42
Nov 12, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm not kidding either:

The insurance scam videos make me feel that way.

Good thing I'll be getting a gopro when I get a bike :getin:

e: Ooops, I got my tabs mixed up, this video was already posted a page ago. My bad!

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 24, 2012

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm not kidding either:

If you want to make sure it works, go drive around Richmond for a while.
Where did you order that from? I am really considering picking one up.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

DefaultPeanut posted:

If you want to make sure it works, go drive around Richmond for a while.
Where did you order that from? I am really considering picking one up.

Memory Express. Oddly I have a funny story about Richmond and that very store that ties in very well.

A few years ago my friend and I needed to find some stuff in Richmond and we stopped at Memory Express. We looked around but found nothing so we decided to go to Aberdeen to do the same at NCIX. He got a bit annoyed that I wasn't too interested in driving around in Richmond and wanted to walk instead.

After some pissing and moaning, he agreed to walk with me to Aberdeen with a bit of reluctance. That was the case until we got to Cambie and No. 3 Road when all of a sudden some idiot t-boned a car in the intersection. All I could say was, "now you see why?"

He has never questioned me since.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

M42 posted:

Wait, we're talking about Russian drivers now? Ok. Here are some compilations of Russian drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXz4P6EpX3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7n5QteKTY

Half of the second one is Need for Speed: Russia
I've wasted entire mornings watching TNL's "Driving in Europe" and "We Love Russia" series.

Any thread with Russian driving videos needs these though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3uQrJLVug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0evP6dCJg

I love how the laugh is exactly the same

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

M42 posted:

The insurance scam videos make me feel that way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFZVIwW8kY

Good thing I'll be getting a gopro when I get a bike :getin:

So is THAT how the Russians are getting all those fancy exotics? I love how 3 minutes in, the guy just decks the scam artist.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kill-9 posted:

I'm riding in a Rangie with a 3" lift on 33s and this thing towered over me this morning.

Damnit, camera, focus on the truck not the windshield!

Wasn't that year of Tahoe originally independent front suspension?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Darchangel posted:

Wasn't that year of Tahoe originally independent front suspension?

Correct. It's hard to tell in these pics, but I can only begin to imagine the elaborate steering linkage it must have now. :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Root Bear posted:

Correct. It's hard to tell in these pics, but I can only begin to imagine the elaborate steering linkage it must have now. :psyduck:

Steering gear ripped off of a solid front axle vehicle? They're all basically the same; it might even be the same gear from the vehicle that donated the front axle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A lot of them have different steering column/input shaft spline setups and bolt patterns. I can only imagine what he came up with for that...

I think the worst I've ever seen was pics of an S10 someone had solid axle swapped with a dana 30 frontend out of a cherokee. The pitman arm on an S10 swings the opposite direction from the one on a cherokee. The guy who did the swap didn't think about that till it was too late... and so turning the steering wheel left made the truck turn right :aaaaa::stonk:

He was daily driving it that way.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Root Bear posted:

I really tried to get a shot of the steering. I wanted to see what he'd done there. Sadly, that blurry shot of the suspension was all I got. I didn't realize that until I'd gotten to work.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Big wing, small car

Also what a terrible parking job considering the road isn't exactly wide

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope!

Quality.

I would expect something like that at a "Buy Here Pay Here" lot but I'm really impressed at the gall of a normal dealer listing that, and saying they are giving you a $2k price break!

I paid barely twice that for my 2008 Corolla.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

A lot of them have different steering column/input shaft spline setups and bolt patterns. I can only imagine what he came up with for that...

I think the worst I've ever seen was pics of an S10 someone had solid axle swapped with a dana 30 frontend out of a cherokee. The pitman arm on an S10 swings the opposite direction from the one on a cherokee. The guy who did the swap didn't think about that till it was too late... and so turning the steering wheel left made the truck turn right :aaaaa::stonk:

He was daily driving it that way.

I was just talking about the steering box down, never considered mating a steering wheel to it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Want to carry some cargo, but all you have is a Geo Metro? You're tall and need more headroom, and all you've got is a Geo Metro? There's a solution!

In case you can't tell because of the grainy film, that's a plywood cargo platform with eye bolts in the sides and the antenna mounted on it, built into the roof of a Geo Metro.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

OSI bean dip posted:

Memory Express. Oddly I have a funny story about Richmond and that very store that ties in very well.

He has never questioned me since.

5 years in Richmond, zero accidents, am I lucky?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

D C posted:

Borrowed time.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Zorilla posted:

I've wasted entire mornings watching TNL's "Driving in Europe" and "We Love Russia" series.

Any thread with Russian driving videos needs these though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3uQrJLVug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0evP6dCJg

I love how the laugh is exactly the same

The world has become a brighter place for me, because I now realise that somewhere in Russia there's a guy rocking around in his audi with a leopard in the passenger seat and he does not give a gently caress.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

I don't understand why the dude in the blue car cuts off the other guy then goes after him with a pipe? He got what he deserved, but what was his beef in the first place?

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

PromethiumX posted:

I don't understand why the dude in the blue car cuts off the other guy then goes after him with a pipe? He got what he deserved, but what was his beef in the first place?

Only thing that I can gather is that he was behind him when he had to stop for the Toyota had to slam on it's breaks and felt insulted somehow.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
I was confused about that too until someone pointed out in the comments:

quote:

I am as well. Though if you look close past 4:10, a cat almost gets hit by the white car in front, and the guy filming seems to swerve as the cat disappears in front of the cars. It's possible he or the the white car hit the cat and the cat owner was near his car and only had time to see the dead cat and them both driving away so he gave chase and angrily picked the wrong car.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

D C posted:

DefaultPeanut posted:

Borrowed time.

Holy poo poo yes. Please don't take up motorcycling. :eek:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
A friend replaced the "clutch" in his Jetta.

I put the word clutch in quotes, because, well:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh that must've been fun for a while.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nitrogen posted:

A friend replaced the "clutch" in his Jetta.

I put the word clutch in quotes, because, well:

:stare:

How in the gently caress do you even do that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

some texas redneck posted:

With extreme prejudice :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

some texas redneck posted:

Precision German mechanical failures.