Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

ClassH posted:

Who does newsdemon resell?
Newsdemon is Highwinds.

Blocknews also has black friday specials for all their brands today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Despite people always making GBS threads on highwinds (especially that one goon :argh: ), I've had very minimal issues with Newsdemon since I signed up for the black Friday deal two years ago. With all the complaints about other providers recently, I'd say it's worth the low price.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Alright, forgive me if these questions have already been asked and answered, just would like to verify a few things.

I understand from OP that I have to have a usenet subscription. For that, I have gone with SuperNews. That is a monthly subscription that I'm assuming covers the costs of maintaining usenet itself. Am I to understand that on top of that, I may need to subscribe/pay for access to different databases -- i.e. newzbin, nzbmatrix, etc?

If not, how can I access different quality nzb's?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

inpheaux posted:

Newsdemon is Highwinds.

Blocknews also has black friday specials for all their brands today.

I can't figure out how to purchase the 200GB blocknews deal for an existing account... or is it for new accounts only? Anyone else tried?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hitch posted:

Alright, forgive me if these questions have already been asked and answered, just would like to verify a few things.

I understand from OP that I have to have a usenet subscription. For that, I have gone with SuperNews. That is a monthly subscription that I'm assuming covers the costs of maintaining usenet itself. Am I to understand that on top of that, I may need to subscribe/pay for access to different databases -- i.e. newzbin, nzbmatrix, etc?

If not, how can I access different quality nzb's?

There's a few sites that don't require you to pay to use them, though some may have limitations on how many API hits or downloads you do in a day. I've been using nzb.su and it seems to be alright, though they did purge free accounts and go paid only for a little while, but they seem to be open for registrations again. If you're setting up sickbeard, it has its own provider available in the search list as well.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Rexxed posted:

If you're setting up sickbeard, it has its own provider available in the search list as well.

I actually did just set up sickbeard. I have to say, I am a.) impressed with all of the different programs, websites and utilities that make this possible and b.) severely disappointed that I have only just now learned about them.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Softcox posted:

I can't figure out how to purchase the 200GB blocknews deal for an existing account... or is it for new accounts only? Anyone else tried?

Would like to know this as well. It is an excellent deal, Blocknews has been a 100% good experience for me!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NZBsrus.com is back, apparently it was some kind of routing problem.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
So is anyone else having a problem with SAB not opening on startup on Windows 8? I checked in the task manager and it says it is enabled to run at startup, it just never does, I have to go manually open the shortcut from my desktop every time I start the computer up.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Porkchop Express posted:

So is anyone else having a problem with SAB not opening on startup on Windows 8? I checked in the task manager and it says it is enabled to run at startup, it just never does, I have to go manually open the shortcut from my desktop every time I start the computer up.

Is SAB itself not running or is it just not opening the web interface on startup? I'm not sure how you'd even set up the latter outside of loading your browser on startup and somehow instructing it to automatically open the SAB interface.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

...! posted:

Is SAB itself not running or is it just not opening the web interface on startup? I'm not sure how you'd even set up the latter outside of loading your browser on startup and somehow instructing it to automatically open the SAB interface.

When I open the web interface it says cannot connect, and I have to manually open SAB from the link on my desktop and reload the page.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That's a tough one. Maybe it's a Windows 8 thing? Try putting a shortcut to it in your Startup menu (does Windows 8 even have one?).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YOu can either put it in your startup folder or create a task to start at login in task scheduler.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I've been pretty happy with newsdemon so far. A couple of snafus with paypal autorenewals is about it with problems.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Re: blocknews black friday deal

quote:

Hi,
Paypal the amount directly to sales@usenetnow.net and then let us know after and we can add the purchase to your account.
==========
Danielle P.
BlockNews.Net Support

Pretty ghetto :cmon:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone else seeing this with Couch Potato? I add something to my list requesting 1080p, it grabs it and downloads it fine, but then it seems to think it only has a DVD Rip and keeps the entry in my 'Wanted' list, even though it has exactly what I asked for.

Doesn't do it with everything, but has done to quite a few things. Running the latest version of the Windows binary, with no updates available.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Squibbles posted:

The only time I've run into issues is for cases where show numbering is weird. Usually that seems to happen on shows that have mini-episodes. For example I think Adventure Time has 2 episodes per half-hour show. Most people seem to release them both as a combined single episode but TVDB/Sickbeard insists they are separate episodes so you end up with it either not finding the episodes or with only half as many and they are all mis-named.

Quoting this as I have the same issue, and I have no idea how to go about fixing it :(

In my case I'm using nzb.su as my indexer and Sickbeard.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

FCKGW posted:

YOu can either put it in your startup folder or create a task to start at login in task scheduler.

I have both and it doesn't seem to work. I thought the latest version fixed it because it referenced a start issue, but it hasnt solved it for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Granite Octopus posted:

Quoting this as I have the same issue, and I have no idea how to go about fixing it :(

In my case I'm using nzb.su as my indexer and Sickbeard.

If it's what I'm thinking of, then you can do the following (manually, although I think there might be some automation fixes you can employ, I just don't need it very often so haven't looked into it much)

Name of Show - s01e01-02 - HD TV.mkv

This will tell Sickbeard that both episodes 1 and 2 on the TVDb listing are in the same file. You can then hand edit the nfo file to put a timecode so it knows where episode 2 starts if you trigger it from XBMC directly (I think episode 1 will play into episode 2 automatically, rather than cut out at this point).

Velvet Fog
Jul 26, 2006
I almost signed back up a few months ago and decided against it. Someone was running a 1000 GB block special and I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone know which retailer was running it and if it's still around?

edit
I think it was the astraweb block special for $50.

Velvet Fog fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 26, 2012

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone aware of a program for comics like sickbeard does for TV? I don't know if I am allowed to ask if not I do apologize.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Flaggy posted:

Is anyone aware of a program for comics like sickbeard does for TV? I don't know if I am allowed to ask if not I do apologize.
https://github.com/four-o-four/omniverse

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Much Appreciated.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I don't feel like its exactly needed right now, but, to scrach an itch, I've been working on some stuff in Python to watch RSS feeds (or search) from private trackers and fetch things that match failed downloads in the sabnzbd queue and then pass that on to Sickbeard.

This seems interesting

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dj_pain posted:

This seems interesting

I worked on it a couple hours today. So far, it builds a database of every show it sees on whatever RSS feeds you throw at it and for each episode tracks all the torrents it sees for those episodes.

It uses the parser from Sickbeard for recognizing show names/seasons/episodes and quality/resolution. I did add 1080p WEB-DL to the types that it will recognize.

Tomorrow I'll get it checking the SABnzbd queue for failed downloads and matching the file that failed against the database it has built from the tracker RSS feeds.

I'll probably have it up on github within a few days...maybe this weekend? I dunno...

Frindevil
Jul 4, 2006
Haggis Keeper
Out of interest it appears newzbin closed it's doors within the last hour. I used it earlier today for one thing and now they have a message up saying they are done.

There are better indexers out there, but still sad - used them the longest.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Frindevil posted:

Out of interest it appears newzbin closed it's doors within the last hour. I used it earlier today for one thing and now they have a message up saying they are done.

There are better indexers out there, but still sad - used them the longest.

Since the takedown on Newzbin1 the site itself had almost no new content and often it was bs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apologies if this is a dumb request, but I hadn't given it much thought until today.

I've been (happily) with UsenetServer (10 bucks a month) for the last couple years.
Recently I moved into a new house, that was served by a new ISP. Right around that time, (despite me getting INSANELY good speeds/speedtests on my new home's ISP) my UsenetServer downloads went to poo poo on SAB. I should have been more suspicious, but I just assumed something wonky with my new ISP and dealt with it.

Today my friend who ALSO has UseNetServer asked me if things had been slow these past few weeks. So it may be the service after all. (was in the thousands of Kb. Now the rates are in the low hundreds.)

Anyway,
are there any really kick rear end replacements to UseNetServer (for around the same cost-per-month) ?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Are your speeds slow all the time? Or is it mostly slow around 9 PM eastern to midnightish?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Are your speeds slow all the time? Or is it mostly slow around 9 PM eastern to midnightish?
All the time now. Used to be real solid in the thousands of Kb. Now it'll start around 800 and within a minute is 100-200's.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

Billa posted:

Since the takedown on Newzbin1 the site itself had almost no new content and often it was bs.

I always got pretty lucky. Rarely did I ever have to search raw usenet.

Now that they are gone.... Who's the next best? Who will feed my sickbeard?!?! Most of the sites appear invite only =/

Jaketeck fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 29, 2012

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Jaketeck posted:

Now that they are gone.... Who's the next best? Who will feed my sickbeard?!?! Most of the sites appear invite only =/
What will feed Sickbeard?

Uh . . the built-in Sickbeard index?

Nearly everything for me comes through the SB index. It's been this way basically since they opened it.

For manual stuff there's always NZB.su.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots
Looking at my sickbeard history it still shows about 50% comes (was) from newzbin2. I moved sb up the list of priorities. How does NZBMatrix stack up? I figure for a one time fee its worth trying.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Jaketeck posted:

Looking at my sickbeard history it still shows about 50% comes (was) from newzbin2. I moved sb up the list of priorities. How does NZBMatrix stack up? I figure for a one time fee its worth trying.
At the rate things are going, I expect NZBMatrix will be the next one to go belly-up. Not sure if it'll be due to mass paranoia, direct action against them, or users fleeing over said mass paranoia.

Look at NZB.su as an alternative.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You can add Newznab providers like nzb.su and dognzb.cr. NZBMatrix has had reliability problems, but it's pretty good when it works.

edit:
\/ \/ why not try out a small block plan from another back-end like Blocknews or Tweaknews.eu? Get a cheap 10GB block and see how the speeds are.

bort fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I was gonna swap out my UsenetServer for Newsdemon to see if speeds were better but I see both are Highwinds resellers. Am I likely to have the same speed issues if the other option is also resold Highwinds?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Has anyone been having regular issues with Supernews for the last week or two? I'm going to guess that it's DMCA related because most of the issues I'm having are coming from multiple content that originated from the same channel. And this is usually minutes after the content goes up.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I was having that problem about a week ago with Newshosting, all with posts originating from Astraweb. Didn't someone mention it was a problem with propagation out from them for a day or three?

I just switched myself from Newshosting to Frugal Usenet with a backup block from Blocknews. Almost everything I pull is newer than 300 days anyway, and for the rare stuff that's older it can eat at my block account. $40 annual vs $15 a month that I was paying before, and yes I know Newshosting is a pretty crappy deal price wise.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots
Am I a sucker for using Giganews? I've been with them forever. They seem to cap whatever connection I am on. However, it seems they are a bit more expensive than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Jaketeck posted:

Am I a sucker for using Giganews? I've been with them forever. They seem to cap whatever connection I am on. However, it seems they are a bit more expensive than the others.
Yes. If you don't use their VPN the difference between Giganews and Supernews is 11 days of retention for an additional $15-25 per month, depending on if you're on GN Platinum or Diamond. Same service, same company, same newsfeed, same everything, just more money and extraneous services.