Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Scut: I really like the way you dithered the inner surface of the robot's face.

As a brief sidetrack from my other projects, I fiddled around with some monochrome character designs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

As a brief sidetrack from my other projects, I fiddled around with some monochrome character designs:

Buh, I really like those more than I should! Interesting style.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Sweet. This thread's winding up again!

I could see these character portraits looking good with a mixed resolution technique.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Internet Janitor posted:

These are fantastic! I love really low res stuff like this because every single pixel, really, really matters.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
This blew my mind:

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Playing around with this guy. He could probably use a bit more refinement.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Spend some time cleaning up some of the jagged pixels and make the background leg lower in value would be my suggestions.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Thanks, I'll work on the jaggedness. Good idea on the back leg too. Anything else? How does the motion feel? I feel like I've been staring at it too long.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm assuming the person is going at a pretty fast pace is how it's suppose to be? If so, it looks great. Although yeah staring at his legs did get a little jarring.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Essentailly done, in game it'll be made up of multiple animated body parts put together so I don't want to over complicate things.

Spriting diagonal running is possibly the shittest thing..

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Hellbeard posted:

Well. That took a while.

A good lesson here is to have a "method" for rotoscoping each part so it doesn't become so psychedelic. I'll need to go over and fit the frames better.

Hey, Hellbeard, this is great. What software are you using? Is it much easier to do timing/positioning in 3D? I know nothing about this stuff, and CG seems so immensely daunting and technical. But I lurked into this thread precisely because I wanted to improve my process, and I had thought about making animations in 3D first, and then pixel-painting the real sprite work overtop.

When I animate from scratch I have to do endless trial-and-error work to make anything that isn't all janky-looking. I often paint flat silhouettes over video-camera footage, but that's extremely limiting, both logistically and in terms of reference quality. If I could create a 3D animation where I could adjust size, speed, angle, etc. whenever I want and assess that so-called "jankiness" on the fly, that'd be great. I don't like having to throw out 5 frames I spent an hour on because my character bent his back too much, or too slowly.

As an example of my current process, I guess I'll post this aerial-cartwheel thing, which is still in the "silhouetting phase", and is actually made from shaky cell-phone camera footage of two different people, one of whom was actually rolling on the grass at one point.

It's fun to look at the footage and see how I got from A to B, but it's a bit absurd. I've been winging it for too long, and I'm willing to throw out a lot of work if it improves my process—I want my work to be consistent, and while I can film a cartwheel, I can't film a midair-dragon-uppercut, or whatever.

So how do other people do lengthy sprite animations? Teach me how to make pretty things, so I can make pretty things for you.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've got no real experience in rotoscoped animation to speak of, so I'll just leave you some characters and gear I've finished off to keep me occupied through being sick with a cold.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Zackarotto posted:

Hey, Hellbeard, this is great. What software are you using? Is it much easier to do timing/positioning in 3D? I know nothing about this stuff, and CG seems so immensely daunting and technical. But I lurked into this thread precisely because I wanted to improve my process, and I had thought about making animations in 3D first, and then pixel-painting the real sprite work overtop.

When I animate from scratch I have to do endless trial-and-error work to make anything that isn't all janky-looking. I often paint flat silhouettes over video-camera footage, but that's extremely limiting, both logistically and in terms of reference quality. If I could create a 3D animation where I could adjust size, speed, angle, etc. whenever I want and assess that so-called "jankiness" on the fly, that'd be great. I don't like having to throw out 5 frames I spent an hour on because my character bent his back too much, or too slowly.

As an example of my current process, I guess I'll post this aerial-cartwheel thing, which is still in the "silhouetting phase", and is actually made from shaky cell-phone camera footage of two different people, one of whom was actually rolling on the grass at one point.

It's fun to look at the footage and see how I got from A to B, but it's a bit absurd. I've been winging it for too long, and I'm willing to throw out a lot of work if it improves my process—I want my work to be consistent, and while I can film a cartwheel, I can't film a midair-dragon-uppercut, or whatever.

So how do other people do lengthy sprite animations? Teach me how to make pretty things, so I can make pretty things for you.

Hi, thanks. I used 3D studio and Photoshop. 3D can really help with maintaining proportions, volumes and angles. On the other hand it limits the expressiveness of the animation or the exaggeration aspect of it. If you don't need to maintain a complicated fixed perspective you can always do simpler line animations in a program like Flash and go over them later with your program of choice. It depends on the kind of effect you're trying to achieve.

If what you want is a real rotoscoped realistic animation thing I think 3D can help you but I recommend still using video references.

On the other hand, 3D is incredibly daunting and technical and takes a long time to learn how to use. At least, what I've been using. Maybe there's some simpler program out there you can use that doesn't require modelling and rigging and stuff.

P.S. Nice work Scut!

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Thank you. Yes, I want to keep using video reference because it's helped to personalize the movements of characters--there are three main playable characters, who each have a different "actor" assigned to them. I just don't want to be so dependent on that reference, or have a huge leap in animation quality from the secondary characters.

The perspective is very simple on my main project, but I have a silly isometric thing on the side that I'd like to take further someday, so I don't think it would be a waste to learn a more complicated method.

I don't want to be shackled to realism, and limiting expressiveness is definitely a problem, but once I get the basic framework down, I can elaborate away from the 3D model my drawing had overlapped. Or that's what I'm hoping, anyway.

I also want to try lowering my frame counts and experimenting with some of the tricks Street Fighter 3 used.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Zackarotto posted:

Thank you. Yes, I want to keep using video reference because it's helped to personalize the movements of characters--there are three main playable characters, who each have a different "actor" assigned to them. I just don't want to be so dependent on that reference, or have a huge leap in animation quality from the secondary characters.

The perspective is very simple on my main project, but I have a silly isometric thing on the side that I'd like to take further someday, so I don't think it would be a waste to learn a more complicated method.

I don't want to be shackled to realism, and limiting expressiveness is definitely a problem, but once I get the basic framework down, I can elaborate away from the 3D model my drawing had overlapped. Or that's what I'm hoping, anyway.

I also want to try lowering my frame counts and experimenting with some of the tricks Street Fighter 3 used.

If you want to get some more animation know how I recommend the book "animators survival kit". I'm not an animator per se, though I do a lot of animation and I'm learning more as I go, but the book really opened my eyes on some important aspects of animation; weight, anticipation, exaggeration. How to think about the animation time-line in terms of extremes, passing positions, highs and lows. If you have a library you can find it in I recommend checking it out for a bit.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Hmm, I've heard of that book before. Guess I'll have to pick it up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Zackarotto posted:

Hmm, I've heard of that book before. Guess I'll have to pick it up.

Yeah you really should. That book is an essential guide to animating. I've had that book for nearly 2 years and it helped me immensely in terms of getting an idea how to timing, in betweens, anticipation, etc.

It is also how I manage to start doing little sprite animations because most of the basic animations like walking/running/jumping can be done in sprite form. :v:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
SpOoKy avatar :iiam:

Nat
Apr 3, 2012

Hinchu posted:

Thanks, I'll work on the jaggedness. Good idea on the back leg too. Anything else? How does the motion feel? I feel like I've been staring at it too long.

The motion leaves me in a trance state. I absolutely love the way you did the shading but my only problem is the lower legs. If the character was in an idle state he would look taller due to the left leg's knee position. Can you post individual shots of it?

Again that is very smooth and something I've been trying to replicate since I started making sprites again. I hope you can post more like that. :allears:

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Sure, here's the spritesheet. I think having a decently high framerate helps with the smoothness, plus I tried to have nice easing in/out of motion using arcs. I find I like to try and design my animated characters to have some kind of extremity that reacts after the motion, like a tail, scarf, ears, etc. That usually sells the motion a lot better than just a straight body.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents. I'll try and post a refined sprite sometime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 22, 2012

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Oh and also, here's a tileset I'm playing around with.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
^Looks like you have some resizing problems or something with those tiles. Unless they're not meant to be pixel art.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a rug! (concept)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I just made this for a friend:

It's of her alien character, Jhiro. So, not my character, but my pixels.

I always get such a hard on for shading like this. I should really practice with darker shades more often.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I'm sort of bludging my way through the early steps of conceptualizing an isometric roguelike. I've got a bunch of stuff written down somewhere, but today I thought I'd try my hand at doing up a quick sprite for a simple human fighter. He has a longsword and a heavy kite shield, so all of the hard bits to draw are currently concealed. I dread doing the other seven angles :3:

I'd love for my sprites to end up looking like this:

But that's about a million miles away from where I'm at now.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Plank posted:

I'd love for my sprites to end up looking like this:

To note for other people's benefit: Those two sprites are by Nathan Christie.

Your own sprite doesn't have a strong sense of perspective at all, and the head is really unclear-- it's narrower at the cheeks and the eyebrows look more like eyes than the actual eyes do. Here's an edit that doesn't do much to fix the perspective issue: http://i.imgur.com/HCh50.png But who needs perspective when you can just rub baby oil on a dude's head?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah after doing this one, I'll go back and redo the first since this looks much more dynamic. Though my first one I hadn't done anything beyond the outline, it's still weak compared to this. I need to work on the shield side shoulder and arm, make them more obvious and poo poo. Move the whole shoulder and arm down and toward the camera, maybe? I might try and shade this one once I've done that, to see how it comes across once all the lighting is in place.

drat, I just noticed some out of place pixels in the forward foot and shield.

edit: Fixed things.
edit2: Coloured/shaded. Still a little flat :(
edit3: dark purple outlines y/n

edit the fourth: I re-posed and re-drew old baldilocks, I'm pretty happy with the new pose and added details. This pose is also a little simpler to draw than the first, so I'll try and animate an attack.

jizzy sillage fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 14, 2012

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Pixelation's Secret Santa is up, if anyone has an account there.

here's some old/unfinished stuffff

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
D-d-doublepost

Remade one of my first pixel arts:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

D-d-doublepost

Remade one of my first pixel arts:

:drat: that's impressive, and also pretty inspiring! Thanks for that!

Edit: Also I like your emoticons and The Red Tower's "START" button.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 24, 2012

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

If Fallout 3 had been done like the original Wasteland with portraits to accompany NPC encounters, this would fit right in with Point Lookout.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Oh my god, I adore The Red Tower. one of my favorite paintings and a cool take on it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Thanks guys :frogbon:

The Red Tower mockup was an April fool's study of this guy, who's made a bunch of bitching artist mockups that deserve way more recognition:

If you :h: pixel art and don't have pixeljoint/pixelation accounts already you totally should (I think I've seen Plank's sprite in the pj forum)

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
That guy is brilliant and I wish those games were real.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:siren: Chickencheese is here! :siren:

10: Post Chickencheese
20: Goto 10

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That's not pixel art, that's just pixelated :smug:

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
I literally just started making pixel art, trying to find a good program on the mac for animating. I've got aseprite but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out because I'm computer illiterate.
I made these in Photoshop, just to try it out... I'm not super happy with them. I'd love to try making a game one day.

...now that I'm looking at these alongside everyone else's they're embarrassingly bad. :sweatdrop:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I dunno, I think they're really cool :shobon:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I like em a ton! Keep on trying your best to learn and you'll go super far. I like the subtle detail in the hair on the top one and the shading's not too bad, I guess just focus on trying to find what style works best for you, outlines or no outlines, etc. Experiment with em and you could find a super nice style!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

stegoceras posted:

I literally just started making pixel art, trying to find a good program on the mac for animating. I've got aseprite but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out because I'm computer illiterate.
I made these in Photoshop, just to try it out... I'm not super happy with them. I'd love to try making a game one day.

...now that I'm looking at these alongside everyone else's they're embarrassingly bad. :sweatdrop:

Needs higher contrast. Don't work on a white (or black) background! It messes up your color choices. It helps to use a program that lets you change the palette on the fly-- Photoshop is pretty horrendous for pixel art due to how you can't adjust colors easily outside of filters.

Your pieces are nice for someone new to the medium though, and the grey girl is obviously the newer of the two since it corrects most of the problems the red girl has :v:

Here's an edit of the red one to show better contrast:
http://i.imgur.com/hSWvO.gif
The changes to the mesh top itself are largely inconsequential and done out of hatred for geometric line patterns in pixel art.

I'm not even sure if I should be making unrequested edits for people here :downs: