Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

Man, now I need to play Farcry 2 again.

Gibbed, do you have your awesome modding efforts saved anywhere? The old thread has gone to the archives it seems.

Man I need to play just cause two some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Do you think we'll be able to mod out the excess hud like seeing guys through walls, radar and objective stuff?

I'm pretty sure seeing guys through walls has to do with tagging them, and you can ignore tagging if you want (and I think possibly disable it altogether). I agree about the other stuff, though--in particular I think having the objective constantly flashing at me at the top of the screen would be really distracting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Profanity posted:

It's not - you can't validate a map for MP if it has AI elements or vehicles in it.
I'm not surprised. Far Cry as a series always seems to do wonderful things, and then just leave out that crucial 5% of perfection. I had visions of the FC2 wilderness generator and editor, being able to sculpt a map with coop objectives, and coming up with fresh new maps every week for my yokel friends who shun any kind of pvp.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Editor videos posted within the last few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGl5sKxjryEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvC1q54tDGwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WjKwNkO_NM

Appears to be the console version of the map editor.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 23, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If I hadn't already preordered it, being able to place sharks on a map would have sold it for me. :haw:

It looks pretty similar in function to the FC2 editor (even down to only supporting four types of 'paint' for the landscape - seriously?) so I might get out pen and paper to doodle some map ideas in preparation.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Wait? No vehicles in multiplayer? Why would they take that out?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Praseodymi posted:

Wait? No vehicles in multiplayer? Why would they take that out?

My guess is that the peer 2 peer MP only supports a smallish amount of players and from the videos, not very big maps.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So, can we still host games with custom settings and custom maps?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

So, can we still host games with custom settings and custom maps?

Most likely? Have to show those maps off in some way.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Payndz posted:

The FAQ makes it sound like they included an 'invisible wall' feature (Q9), which will be a relief if you like creating maps that aren't surrounded by massive vertical cliffs. Making sure you've blocked every possible point from which a smart-arse player can climb onto a crate or a fence or a barrel or a truck and jump over the intended boundary of the map could take almost as long as building the map in the first place.

What the hell are you talking about? Jumping from crates out of the boundary of the level itself is intensely satisfying, over-use of invisible walls is basically one of the worst things to happen to level-design, alongside using few objectsover and over, and way too complex sorroundings instead of clean geometry where if you can see it, you can get to it. Plus variation.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I got a good kick out of watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHuKTEdP4U

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Does anybody know where the best place is to preorder this for 360? Normally I'd do it from Amazon, but they only offer 10 dollars in MP3s and a tribal warrior pack. Any place offering actual credit or a different preorder offer?

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Exactly how does this work in regards to the Ubisoft store and Steam? I got this free with my graphics card, and redeemed the code on the Ubisoft site. when it launches do I just get a key for Steam?

Far Cry 3 doesn't register on steam, you download it from Ubisoft when it launches.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we know if there will be a PSN digital version of this game on release?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Jumping from crates out of the boundary of the level itself is intensely satisfying, over-use of invisible walls is basically one of the worst things to happen to level-design, alongside using few objectsover and over, and way too complex sorroundings instead of clean geometry where if you can see it, you can get to it. Plus variation.

You make it sound like accessing untextured areas and skyboxes is some secret treasure that invisible barriers have robbed you of.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Saint Isz posted:

Far Cry 3 doesn't register on steam, you download it from Ubisoft when it launches.

You can pre-order it on Steam though, what's the deal with that? *steps back as Kramer bursts through the door*

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pwnstar posted:

You can pre-order it on Steam though, what's the deal with that? *steps back as Kramer bursts through the door*
* is stabbed by Kramer and thrown out the window, 3xp *

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Apparently, you download it through steam and activate it through Ubisoft's Uplay DRM.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

Do we know if there will be a PSN digital version of this game on release?

There is a digital version available for pre-order on the British PSN, so I'd assume it will be available for purchase in the USA store during release week.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

3 non-English reviews for this game listed on Metacritic, a 90, a 95 and a 100. Can't read their text 'cause they're in Italian and whatnot, but pretty good indicator so far.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
RPS and Eurogamer are mad for this game. Why do we have to wait until the 4th :\

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm getting this for PS3. Who has the best preorder bonus?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

blackguy32 posted:

Apparently, you download it through steam and activate it through Ubisoft's Uplay DRM.

I really hope so. It is difficult for me to buy non-Steam things now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

RPS and Eurogamer are mad for this game. Why do we have to wait until the 4th :\

Seriously, the wait is killing me. I'm trying to play other games to keep me preoccupied but I just really want to play Far Cry 3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Seriously, the wait is killing me. I'm trying to play other games to keep me preoccupied but I just really want to play Far Cry 3.

Imagine if you have been waiting since the beginning of this year and then throughout the delay. That is me.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

blackguy32 posted:

Uplay DRM? Oh man, this isn't going to be a thing like Origin, is it? :ohdear:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Imagine if you have been waiting since the beginning of this year and then throughout the delay. That is me.

I've been waiting since it was first revealed two years ago. Hahah.

IronSaber posted:

Uplay DRM? Oh man, this isn't going to be a thing like Origin, is it? :ohdear:

No, you open the game through Steam and then it runs this uPlay client for authentication and then the game starts. It's annoying, and it used to be a lot worse because it required a constant internet connection, but now it's no worse than something like Games for Windows Live.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

As retarded as staggered releases are, it feels good to be getting it first for once. Hurry up, Thursday :v:

I am a bit gutted that I have to get it on PS3 though, I upgraded everything but my graphics card last year (my desktop is for making music) and I don't think my lovely 9600gt will handle it. It seems like the console map editors are gimped badly compared to PC.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

No, you open the game through Steam and then it runs this uPlay client for authentication and then the game starts. It's annoying, and it used to be a lot worse because it required a constant internet connection, but now it's no worse than something like Games for Windows Live.

Oh thank goodness.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

im a girl btw posted:

I am a bit gutted that I have to get it on PS3 though, I upgraded everything but my graphics card last year (my desktop is for making music) and I don't think my lovely 9600gt will handle it.

Your 9600 GT might meet the minimum requirements. Joystiq's example minimum card is the 8800 GTX, which is just slightly better than your card with Far Cry 2.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/25/far-cry-3-pc-specs-outline-your-chances-of-survival/

http://www.hwcompare.com/4178/geforce-8800-gtx-vs-geforce-9600-gt-1gb/

In any case, minimum on a PC will most likely be superior to max on a PS3 and who knows how much your CPU will impact performance.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im getting this on disc, so I guess I will have to add this game as a non-steam game. I wish there was a demo being released.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

You could play Far Cry 3: Minecraft Edition. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's kinda neat actually.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sandboxy games do tend to last longer than most, for me, anyway, so I'm probably going to put money down on this one instead of Gameflying it. Looks like Gamestop has the best preorder bonus, something about four extra missions involving exploding monkeys.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Speedball posted:

Sandboxy games do tend to last longer than most, for me, anyway, so I'm probably going to put money down on this one instead of Gameflying it. Looks like Gamestop has the best preorder bonus, something about four extra missions involving exploding monkeys.

If you go digital and get the deluxe version, you get a bunch of stuff plus the Gamestop stuff, and the soundtrack. I would go that route, but I really want this on disc. Not a big fan of downloading large files when I can easily get it by disc for the same price.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Adraeus posted:

Your 9600 GT might meet the minimum requirements. Joystiq's example minimum card is the 8800 GTX, which is just slightly better than your card with Far Cry 2.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/25/far-cry-3-pc-specs-outline-your-chances-of-survival/

http://www.hwcompare.com/4178/geforce-8800-gtx-vs-geforce-9600-gt-1gb/

In any case, minimum on a PC will most likely be superior to max on a PS3 and who knows how much your CPU will impact performance.

Oh ok. The CPU is an i5 2600K (I think 3.5ghz) and it has 8 gigs of ram. So my CPU and RAM are above the recommended specs but my graphics card is the bare minimum. I haven't really played games on PC in years so I'm not sure how that would work out performance-wise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of which, thank god this game is stating ~12 GB HD space, which means it's not some ridiculous download like Max Payne 3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ram question: I technically purchased 4 GB of ram. But Device Manager in Windows says I only have 3.5 gigs of ram. What is the true number?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Ram question: I technically purchased 4 GB of ram. But Device Manager in Windows says I only have 3.5 gigs of ram. What is the true number?

The true number is 3.5, as that's the maximum Win7 will see, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of which, thank god this game is stating ~12 GB HD space, which means it's not some ridiculous download like Max Payne 3.

The worst part about the Max Payne 3 size is that almost all of it is 1080p FMVs that were made in-engine. :doh:

blackguy32 posted:

Are you on Windows XP or Windows 7 32-bit? Because they only recognize 3.5 GB.

• Locked thread