Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

WastedJoker posted:

So, after a fairly unsuccessful level of deliberation, I am tempted to switch to Lithium hosting.

This decision is based on the fact their website loads quickly and looks shiny.

Let me know if you have any questions about hosting, shoot me a PM or whatever. FYI, the website will become shinier in the next month or so ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I have two domains I want to carry over to you.

Is there an easy way to do both domains in one go or do I sign up one as part of account creation then add the second once I've done the first?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Remember to keep domains and hosting separate. (This is not a judgement on any specific company)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

WastedJoker posted:

I have two domains I want to carry over to you.

Is there an easy way to do both domains in one go or do I sign up one as part of account creation then add the second once I've done the first?

If one of your domains currently has hosting and your current host uses cPanel. I can just do a cPanel account transfer and bring over everything.

If they don't use cPanel, sign up for hosting using your preferred domain name as it will be primary on your account. You can then add the second domain to cPanel as an addon domain later.

As far as bringing your domain registration over, we can handle that as well. We use Resellerclub to handle all domain registrations. You'll still be the registrant and owner of your domain.

Some people prefer to keep their domains registered with a different company than their hosting is with. That is fine, just use our name servers to make sure everything works properly.

Shoot me an email if you want to discuss more, darklotus@lithiumhosting.com

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I am on a shared hosting plan and have been suspended several times for using too many CPU cycles despite:

using CloudFlare
using wordpress caching plugins set up exactly at the hosting company says to do
optimizing my databases (reducing size by 60% thanks to wordpress saving the last 25 drafts!)
deactivating the garbage plugins that Jetpack auto-activates with each update and removing unused plugins
switching from a related post plugin to LinkWithin
removing the wordpress cron and replacing it with a cron job

And when I check the charts of CPU time, I am never even near the warning areas during the times I am suspended and I don't understand why I am still in trouble (and the latest tech didn't even bother to address this or respond to emails until I called them to complain) I was planning to ditch them anyway, but this will accelerate the process.

Is a VPS the right way to go for the next step? I am seeing a regular increase in traffic and some of the things I have going on were flagged by P3 as resource intensive (basically podPress, which I am forced to deactivate atm and thus no podcast feed) but I am learning this all as I go. I don't really see much information about CPU time on the VPS comparisons or how that would translate to how much memory I would need. I have seen the wealth of tutorials from the sites linked throughout this thread and think I could probably make a go of any configuration, but managed might mean less short term headaches even though Linode looks tempting.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What host do you use right now? Also, more stats?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hostgator shared and which other stats do you want?

Last month's visits were 72K, generating over 3.5 million hits, and a bit over 200 GB bandwidth (which is low because there were no new podcasts or videos) almost all of it on one of 3 domains (which has two separate wordpress installs for a boring legacy reason, one of which doesn't have the plugins that are deemed high memory usage.) This month should beat that by 10%, and we were higher earlier in the year without Hostgator complaining about CPUs, part of why I'm frustrated at them now.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Tars Tarkas posted:

Hostgator shared and which other stats do you want?

Last month's visits were 72K, generating over 3.5 million hits, and a bit over 200 GB bandwidth (which is low because there were no new podcasts or videos) almost all of it on one of 3 domains (which has two separate wordpress installs for a boring legacy reason, one of which doesn't have the plugins that are deemed high memory usage.) This month should beat that by 10%, and we were higher earlier in the year without Hostgator complaining about CPUs, part of why I'm frustrated at them now.

The short answer... If you're site is causing issues with shared hosting and you're asking if your site is ready for a VPS, chances are yes. You could try another shared host and end up with the same issues, or you could move up to a VPS and never have someone tell you you're using too much CPU or RAM.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

DarkLotus posted:

The short answer... If you're site is causing issues with shared hosting and you're asking if your site is ready for a VPS, chances are yes. You could try another shared host and end up with the same issues, or you could move up to a VPS and never have someone tell you you're using too much CPU or RAM.

But they can tell you that you're using too much disk i/o. VPS's are a big step up if done correctly from shared hosting, but they are still shared and still have limits where impacting other customers will get you booted.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

dvgrhl posted:

But they can tell you that you're using too much disk i/o. VPS's are a big step up if done correctly from shared hosting, but they are still shared and still have limits where impacting other customers will get you booted.

Correct, but disk I/O does not appear to be the problem with their site so I didn't mention it. Chances are, they'll never have disk I/O issues as long as they aren't swapping. And honestly, if disk I/O were a concern, they would have had issues with shared hosting long ago.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

DarkLotus posted:

Correct, but disk I/O does not appear to be the problem with their site so I didn't mention it. Chances are, they'll never have disk I/O issues as long as they aren't swapping. And honestly, if disk I/O were a concern, they would have had issues with shared hosting long ago.

Except show me how you can use a lot of disk i/o, or bandwidth, without using cpu. A lot of shared hosts use undefined amount of cpu usage as a way to terminate accounts that actually use any amount of resources. I'm not disagreeing with you that a VPS is a good step up for his issue, but there's a lot that goes into cpu usage. And really, I have no financial stake in what he chooses to do, but you do, so I think blanket statements like "you could move up to a VPS and never have someone tell you you're using too much CPU" needs to be qualified.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking for a place to host some piddly little poo poo - some static files, a few random little web apps, none of which will be getting much in the way of traffic. What's peoples experience with prgmr.com? One of those little 256mb boxes should be sufficient for me.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

dvgrhl posted:

Except show me how you can use a lot of disk i/o, or bandwidth, without using cpu. A lot of shared hosts use undefined amount of cpu usage as a way to terminate accounts that actually use any amount of resources. I'm not disagreeing with you that a VPS is a good step up for his issue, but there's a lot that goes into cpu usage. And really, I have no financial stake in what he chooses to do, but you do, so I think blanket statements like "you could move up to a VPS and never have someone tell you you're using too much CPU" needs to be qualified.

It wasn't a blanket statement, it was specific to their site. I have never seen any one website on any of my servers use too much CPU usage as a result of too much Disk I/O. And using disk I/O does not translate to CPU usage, it does affect server load which is not the same.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm looking for a place to host some piddly little poo poo - some static files, a few random little web apps, none of which will be getting much in the way of traffic. What's peoples experience with prgmr.com? One of those little 256mb boxes should be sufficient for me.

they're decent if you don't need any handholding, go for it

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I am not sure if disk I/O will be a problem with the hosting, I'd hadn't even heard of it outside of personal computers until I started looking into VPSs. From the sound of it, it might be something that will bottleneck me in the future if I can keep the site growing. The only problem would be if one of my plugins is badly coded and uses up too many resources, but that should be causing performance issues already. That's if I understand hosting disk I/O right as most topics talk about it as I should already know.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

The only problem would be if one of my plugins is badly coded and uses up too many resources, but that should be causing performance issues already.

While I don't have a lot to contribute, this did stand out to be, as it's not necessarily true. Most shared hosts have scripts in place to kill processes before they can "run wild" (either through forking or simply refusing to die) but your VPS will not - at least not by default. I've seen more than a couple of customers switch to a VPS and immediately exhaust 4x the memory that we gave them on shared because their scripts were crap, and only managed to hobble along because of the limitations we had in place.

Disk I/O is pretty straight forward - it's just a measurement of all of the read/write operations happening on your disk. If you sign up for a budget VPS you'll probably be on 7200 RPM SAS disks in RAID-10 - not great for a box that probably has 40 VPSes on it, so if people start to use too much they get yelled at. If you think you'll need a great deal of I/O look into an SSD VPS, or at least a host that uses decent SANs to hold the VHDs.

That said, for a blog, you probably will not need crazy I/O if you make effective use of a CDN and caching, so it's probably not a huge deal.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I am not sure if disk I/O will be a problem with the hosting, I'd hadn't even heard of it outside of personal computers until I started looking into VPSs. From the sound of it, it might be something that will bottleneck me in the future if I can keep the site growing. The only problem would be if one of my plugins is badly coded and uses up too many resources, but that should be causing performance issues already. That's if I understand hosting disk I/O right as most topics talk about it as I should already know.

What plugins are you using? Are you using one of those plugins that shows related posts? I had some issues with those in the past. A lot of them are horribly coded and just destroy disk I/O/CPU (they rely on complicated SQL queries which is fine if the results are cached, but a lot of the plugins don't cache the results). If you are, try either disabling it or switching to another related posts plugin that properly caches results.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
If you're using any if the live stats plugins, that can cause some headaches. Especially if you have a lot of traffic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I had the stats part of Jetpack active, and is one of the things I have turned off atm (the only other part of Jetpack I used was Sharedaddy). P3 declared podPress was the biggest problem and that is deactivated as well, though that's how I have my podcast set up and is more important than stats that I can get via statcounter.

Fangs404 posted:

What plugins are you using? Are you using one of those plugins that shows related posts? I had some issues with those in the past. A lot of them are horribly coded and just destroy disk I/O/CPU (they rely on complicated SQL queries which is fine if the results are cached, but a lot of the plugins don't cache the results). If you are, try either disabling it or switching to another related posts plugin that properly caches results.

I was using YARPP, but switched to linkwithin which claims that all the work is done on their site.

I'm also using:
Aksimet
Break out of Frames
Contact Form 7
CrankyAds
DT author box
Flowplayer for Wordpress
No self pings
really simple captcha
redirection
Revision control
WP Super Cache (the wordpress cache my webhost told me to use over others)
Adsense-Deluxe
Get recent comments
Cloudflare's plugin

Of those, P3 only notices CrankyAds as resource using, but not nearly as much as podPress or Jetpack. Jetpack had the unfortunate problem of turning every part of it on after each update, but has stopped that, but it is still a bunch of wasted bloat for the two parts of it I use.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I feel like I'm in way over my head every time I need to do something in cpanel. I've got a site with a number of static pages I made with wordpress. Pretty much anything that has to do with a database leaves me frustrated and confused and I can't seem to find a good starting point. Can anyone recommend a book/blog/vlog that could help me get a foothold?

An example of how much I have to learn: for two years I backed up the files through ftp and thought I was doing a good job of it, only when I changed hosting did I realize that it was the database I needed to be backing up. Now I'd like to create a test environment so I can try out some major changes (and then hopefully move everything over to the real site once I like them) and it's so much more complicated than I thought (although I just received this in an email while I was typing this post so I'm going to give some of these a try).

Thanks in advance for any book recommendations you can give!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A lot of the guys in the Wordpress thread here are really helpful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913

You should be able to set up a wordpress install in a subfolder/subdomain and just play around with that if you want a test environment.

If you like using phpMyadmin, the site for it has links to websites that do tutorials and some books about it - http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/docs.php

That's the only MySQL tool I have experience in.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I had the stats part of Jetpack active, and is one of the things I have turned off atm (the only other part of Jetpack I used was Sharedaddy). P3 declared podPress was the biggest problem and that is deactivated as well, though that's how I have my podcast set up and is more important than stats that I can get via statcounter.

WP Super Cache (the wordpress cache my webhost told me to use over others)

Did you actually notice that the stats part of Jetpack was slowing things down? I have it active and haven't noticed it do much at all.

You ought to give W3 Total Cache a try. W3TC has a shitload (overwhelmingly many) of options, but after tweaking it, I got much better performance under W3TC than with WPSC. As a first go, just enable the page cache, database cache, and object cache in the W3TC settings using APC. You might experience better performance.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Anyone know of any still running Black Friday deals or upcoming cyber Monday deals? Only one I have seen so far is the host I use JaguarPC which is having certain % off deals, but only for the first billing cycle. Thought I remember last year a few places had % off deals that were for the life of the account.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
EDIS had a double your harddrive deal. But I'm not sure if it expired already or not. BLACKFRI12 is the code.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BJA posted:

Anyone know of any still running Black Friday deals or upcoming cyber Monday deals? Only one I have seen so far is the host I use JaguarPC which is having certain % off deals, but only for the first billing cycle. Thought I remember last year a few places had % off deals that were for the life of the account.

If you've ever ordered from Dell, TigerDirect, NewEgg, Amazon, etc you've probably gotten 5 cyber monday emails alone.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Bob Morales posted:

If you've ever ordered from Dell, TigerDirect, NewEgg, Amazon, etc you've probably gotten 5 cyber monday emails alone.

I have actually gotten about 5 each from Amazon and Newegg, but I meant for hosting services that I probably don't know of, or recommended here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BJA posted:

I have actually gotten about 5 each from Amazon and Newegg, but I meant for hosting services that I probably don't know of, or recommended here.

Somehow I thought this was the laptop thread :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trying to wade through, but what's the most recommended host for a fairly low-traffic Wordpress-based site? (To be set up by someone new to all this, if that matters on the choice, although I doubt it)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Trying to wade through, but what's the most recommended host for a fairly low-traffic Wordpress-based site? (To be set up by someone new to all this, if that matters on the choice, although I doubt it)

I'm a novice with a low-traffic Wordpress site and I like my Lithium hosting, especially for $10 a year.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BJA posted:

http://asmallorange.com/ has a cyber monday deal going, 75% off for the first month of vps/reseller/business, or first invoice of shared.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

greazeball posted:

I feel like I'm in way over my head every time I need to do something in cpanel. I've got a site with a number of static pages I made with wordpress. Pretty much anything that has to do with a database leaves me frustrated and confused and I can't seem to find a good starting point. Can anyone recommend a book/blog/vlog that could help me get a foothold?

An example of how much I have to learn: for two years I backed up the files through ftp and thought I was doing a good job of it, only when I changed hosting did I realize that it was the database I needed to be backing up. Now I'd like to create a test environment so I can try out some major changes (and then hopefully move everything over to the real site once I like them) and it's so much more complicated than I thought (although I just received this in an email while I was typing this post so I'm going to give some of these a try).

Thanks in advance for any book recommendations you can give!

cPanel has its own backup system built in. Depending on your host this may or may not be available directly. Some annoying hosts put it in their own control panel so they can charge people for backup storage. If you do a full account backup it should have your databases included. Some of these things depend on how the webhost manager has set it up.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/11_30/CpanelDocs/BackupWizard

If you have access to the webhost manager you can even do a direct pull of the account from the new server. Your host might have to help if its shared hosting.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012
There's a nice write up on Ars Technica on how to roll your own web server.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/how-to-set-up-a-safe-and-secure-web-server/

Lithium Hosting and A Small Orange both got a mention as "two excellent Ars reader-recommended Web hosts"

Just thought it was worth sharing, its one of the better articles I've read on the subject.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

mooky posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/how-to-set-up-a-safe-and-secure-web-server/

Lithium Hosting and A Small Orange both got a mention as "two excellent Ars reader-recommended Web hosts"

Just thought it was worth sharing, its one of the better articles I've read on the subject.

Interesting read. Thanks! :cheers:

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
If this is the wrong thread for this, please let me know!

I would like to set up a very small-scale web-based video&voice chat system that would allow a few things so that some friends of mine from around the world can play RPGS (sad I know but there it is):

1) A main room where you could have one person who is the primary display and then a bunch of subsidiary people who can have smaller windows.

2) Side rooms where 2 or more people can go and directly chat (so basically multiple rooms?)

3) Private chat with video between 2 people.

This doesn't have to scale up very much since it's just, at most, 2 games running simultaneously (so 2 main rooms each run by a GM and then whatever on the side with maybe 5-6 people playing in each game).

Ideally I would also like to host this myself just so that I have total control and can add/modify features as our group might want - I have a good connection with a static IP, I have a robust machine I can use as a server, and I would love it if there were a completely open-source stack I could use for this. Something that is HTML5 compatible rather than requiring flash would also be spectacular. And, of course free/roll your own would be ideal.

In addition to trying to figure out what I would need to set up on the server, am I being naive about my internet connection (10mbps up/50mbps down) being able to handle this? Would I want to look into a colocation situation even for this smallish number of people? It doesn't have to be blazing fast or very high quality.

metztli fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 30, 2012

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Google+ hangouts would probably be a solid solution for that problem. I honestly know little about them, but I know that nfl.com's fantasy football integrates the hangout video chat - maybe Google has some kind of an API that allows you to integrate hangouts into your site?

Re: hosting it from home. Your ISP would almost certainly be butthurt about that. Most residential ISPs expressly forbid web traffic going in to your house. Getting voice (and video) that is even moderately latency-free is a technically demanding task to accomplish, and without being able to leverage top tier internet connections with good routing (to many different locations, it sounds like) it's basically impossible.

There are probably many people here more familiar with video/voice over IP than I, but doing it from your residential connection is likely a non-starter. If you're set on rolling your own, something like SoftLayer that will have good network routes might be a decent place to start. Their customer service isn't great, but I've had good experiences with the hardware.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Comradephate posted:

Re: hosting it from home. Your ISP would almost certainly be butthurt about that. Most residential ISPs expressly forbid web traffic going in to your house. Getting voice (and video) that is even moderately latency-free is a technically demanding task to accomplish, and without being able to leverage top tier internet connections with good routing (to many different locations, it sounds like) it's basically impossible.

at 1MB/s up I kind of just giggled at the suggestion.

not to mention the ToS termination.

100% datacenter, definitely, but probably not colo.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Thanks for the hangouts suggestion - that looks like it will do what we need. And yeah, I figured hosting it myself was likely to be impossible, but on the off chance I was overestimating the difficulty I had to ask.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

mooky posted:

Is it just me or do the images look like he was taking a picture of the monitor instead of a screen cap?

What are the decent goon run VPS providers? I'm looking to run a stack of Snort/Squid/ClamAV for family members to proxy through when web browsing.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

namol posted:

Is it just me or do the images look like he was taking a picture of the monitor instead of a screen cap?
I hope it's cathode

namol posted:

goon run
lol

namol posted:

VPS providers?
intovps, linode, prgmr

namol posted:

I'm looking to run a stack of Snort/Squid/ClamAV for family members to proxy through when web browsing.
if you insist on being the family CJ then just install MSE on their computers, christ dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking for a very cheap shared hosting provider.

Looking to run Wordpress with a lot of static images on the site. Probably very low traffic. Any suggestions?

Dreamhost looks like it's 10/month but I remember at one point it was 10/year. At 10/month, there's probably a ton of better hosting providers I'd imagine. So looking for 20-30/year if possible?