Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Pics look great, it definitely looks like a real rally car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

front wing flexing posted:

:allears: Those were the days

Painted the volkswagon bug baja shell I got for my slash and some weird poo poo happened to the tape that made it crinkle up and lines of paint got on the windows :argh: Maybe it was too cold in the garage overnight. I've always sucked at painting and any body that I do myself always looks like poo poo.

Take it from me...learn to love your blow dryer. You can do masking tape then immediately apply a paint job. Just make sure the edges of all your tape are smooth and attached firmly with a credit card. Then, apply the first coat as a LIGHT DUSTING. This will actually "seal" the edges of the tape. Then, give it a quick blow dry.

I honestly do about 8-10 thin coats, blow drying in between to achieve a great looking paint.

smnsuperstar
Jan 8, 2009

That bat mobile case is insane. Is that a custom made shell? I have seen them to buy as a complete electric kit but the price tag turned me well off. And is it just the photo or has the chassis of the doner base been extended?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

smnsuperstar posted:

That bat mobile case is insane. Is that a custom made shell? I have seen them to buy as a complete electric kit but the price tag turned me well off. And is it just the photo or has the chassis of the doner base been extended?

No, the batmobile isn't custom made. My friend worked for Six Flags back in the early 90's and won a contest where he got that Keaton Batmobile. It's an actual pan car chassis with foam tires. It was made by a now defunct hobby company. I think he said you could win one for an asston of tickets or something.

Anyways, no they aren't custom. A company manufactured them. The car sits RTR but he has never driven it because it's so rare.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got the 3racing ball diff for the M-05 and it exploded in my hands when I took it out of the packaging. The screw that put pressure on the whole thing snapped and sent the broken half flying with a lot of force. Stung my hand a bit but that's all thankfully. Tqrcracing.com refunded the thing immediately and I didn't even have to send it back, which was cool, so I'm ordering the TA03 version instead. Also bit the bullet and ordered the correct shocks.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The SCX10 Honcho is the crawler you guys are in love with, right?

Is this a good price for what it comes with?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tag/3392202539.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's the one. I don't know how the used prices are, but for a full setup new including charger and battery for the RTR you'd probably pay $100 more than that.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sloppy posted:

The SCX10 Honcho is the crawler you guys are in love with, right?

Is this a good price for what it comes with?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tag/3392202539.html

That's a great deal on one. The truck rules.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

powderific posted:

Just got the 3racing ball diff for the M-05 and it exploded in my hands when I took it out of the packaging. The screw that put pressure on the whole thing snapped and sent the broken half flying with a lot of force. Stung my hand a bit but that's all thankfully. Tqrcracing.com refunded the thing immediately and I didn't even have to send it back, which was cool, so I'm ordering the TA03 version instead. Also bit the bullet and ordered the correct shocks.
I found the 3 Racing Mini ball diff to be pretty garbage. Stick with the TA03 ball diff or just slam some thick grease in the gear diff

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I rebuilt our indoor track earlier this week :suicide:

Crazy technical layout, I love it :). Pics don't really show all the elevation changes... it's a layout that's easy to get around but hard to get around quickly.

If any of you are around or passing through central Iowa, stop by and check it out! Site is a little outdated but info can be found here: http://www.80-35raceway.com/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nice job! Looks like you made the most of limited space with a nice 1/10 scale technical course.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

We just finished our rebuild at Phil Hurd Raceway in Savannah. There was so much club political bullshit involved that I went into wanting to be pissed off and hating it, but... holy poo poo is it fun. It's REALLY rewarding to a good setup and clean driving, and extremely punishing on any mistakes. Once you find a good rhythm with it, there are so many areas where you can push the car harder than you initially think you can, and some of the elevation changes create almost an optical illusion - you'll think you're going high and wind up hitting the inside pipe, and vice-versa. Overall a lot of fun. I finished 2nd in stock SCT, and my son finished 2nd in Novice SCT.

(Panoramic photo makes the front straight look curved, it's not)

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

^ Athens goon reporting in. Track looks sick! We just had another off road track pop up in Winder!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rebuilt my Tamiya 415 with a 21.5T Brushless motor and 1970 Mustang shell for VTA. Will try to take photos of it before it gets punished on the track

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

Rebuilt my Tamiya 415 with a 21.5T Brushless motor and 1970 Mustang shell for VTA. Will try to take photos of it before it gets punished on the track

Don't they use 25.5 turn now? I still have a 17.5 in mine for TC class. Here is a shot of it.

I won't post a wall of pics but we had another scaler meet today. Check out this shot of a 56 Ford Tamiya Highlift. Truck was great. I got a great shot of my truck on it's new 2.2's climbing up the river bank.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I very much enjoy your wall of pics :shobon:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

front wing flexing posted:

I very much enjoy your wall of pics :shobon:

Ok, here are a bunch more.

We had some casualties. The 56 Ford threw a driveshaft, the F350 went in water way too deep in a creek and shorted out the ESC, and my motor finally started to go. To keep in the spirit of 1:1 offroading we drove our sick trucks back to the trailhead. My truck was stuttering really bad and the '56 was only in front wheel drive.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 12, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Don't they use 25.5 turn now? I still have a 17.5 in mine for TC class. Here is a shot of it.
For some reason my state has their VTA running at 21.5T. Dunno why

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

For some reason my state has their VTA running at 21.5T. Dunno why

21.5 used to be the rule for VTA but then it was recently changed. While I love the VTA stuff it seems that its being over regulated to death with constant rule changes. The whole point of the class was a "run what you brung" as long as it had a classic car body and those HPI wheels and tires.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

21.5 used to be the rule for VTA but then it was recently changed. While I love the VTA stuff it seems that its being over regulated to death with constant rule changes. The whole point of the class was a "run what you brung" as long as it had a classic car body and those HPI wheels and tires.

Oh, you must be new to RC Racing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, I have been reading the VTA thread on RC Tech and it is like 99% arguments over rules and 1% photos of VTA body shells.

The governing body of RC in my state has enforced the 21.5T rule, as well as the body shells, but allowing touring car shells based off touring cars in both the US and Australia touring car racing up to 1980.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Nice job! Looks like you made the most of limited space with a nice 1/10 scale technical course.

Thanks :). The indoor track is 73x36 so there's not a whole lot of room to work with. I try to keep things interesting with elevation changes since having a big jump really limits what you can do layout-wise.

The outdoor track on the other hand... whole different ballgame. It's twice as wide and nearly 4x as deep. Fun times :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finally got my VTA car done up, taken me long enough. Sadly the paint job wasn't the best (looks good from a distance) as it was my first paint job for ages.

It is a Allan Moffat 69 BOSS 302 Mustang, which he raced in Australia. Here's what the original looked like:

The chassis is a Tamiya 415 MSX which I have done some changes to, added the MRE steering upgrade as well as changing the arms for EVO V arms and 416 uprights.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That looks really really good :)

I'd get back into TC racing if the UK had a Vintage class anywhere...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In completely random R/C car news, HP sent me a radio controlled Enzo because they want to sell me a jillion desktops, laptops and servers.

In order to get the transmitter though, I have to schedule a meeting with them :(

Its a 27mhz Silverlit model. Looks good in my office at work, thats about it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ran the Mustang last night for the first time. Had a great time with it, getting controllable oversteer with it around the corners, and finished 4th out of 11 cars. Mainly because I was being sensitive with the throttle and not going full on all the time, like most of the drivers, and spinning out.

Still need to do a couple of things to the car, but nothing drastic.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sweet Mustang man, looks great! As I've found out, it doesn't really pay to have an ultra fancy paintjob in VTA. It's a doorbanger class!

In other news, after 12 years of constantly buying/selling various pieces of R/C and musical equipment on forums and eBay, it appears I just got scammed for the first time. I bought an SR3000 receiver for 25 bucks on RCTech and since I sent payment I haven't heard a peep from the seller in 2 weeks. I just initiated a paypal chargeback and reported his rear end.

I don't even care about the $25 (I'm considering myself ultra lucky that it was a cheap transaction like that where someone tried to F' me) but the principle is what pisses me off!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have had some good and bad experiences with RC Tech and second hand gear. A weird one was a Futaba 9550 digital servo that I wanted to buy off a dude. Even though I showed interested and I gave him a post code to work out postage costs, he still sold it to another person. Prat.

However majority of the items I have brought through it, like ESCs, personal transponder, spare parts, has been good. But I stick with my local area Buy/Sell.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

I have had some good and bad experiences with RC Tech and second hand gear. A weird one was a Futaba 9550 digital servo that I wanted to buy off a dude. Even though I showed interested and I gave him a post code to work out postage costs, he still sold it to another person. Prat.

However majority of the items I have brought through it, like ESCs, personal transponder, spare parts, has been good. But I stick with my local area Buy/Sell.

Yeah, I've bought and sold multiple full vehicles as well as tons of misc. crap from RCtech and it's always been smooth. It's almost funny to me that a guy decides to scam me for a 20 dollar part when that really isn't even worth the trouble considering paypal will just give it back to me.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Our club hosted our "end of the season bash" with a Top Truck Challenge (Hill Climb, Sled Pull, Waterfall Crawl). My jaw dropped at how many trucks showed up for this. Those aren't even all of them! I'm exhausted from running the event as we never expected this many trucks (this was a great problem to have!) but I have great video and pics to come after I can edit them. Here is a shot showcasing most of the trucks before it started.

EDIT - I had to share this pic. Check out this wild 6WD clod that showed. This truck was amazing.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 19, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I have a poo poo ton of video to edit as well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My wife ordered my Christmas present....an Axial Wraith kit! For now I'm going to yank the electronics out of the SCX10 and just put them in the Wraith.

I have a ran 1 time Hobbywing Justock "Blinky" ESC (with box and paperwork) with a barely used Team Powers 17.5 touring car motor if anyone would be interested in a sale/trade.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If anyone is on the lookout for some small but easy-to-fly planes, or a pair of small 3D helis (and is in the UK), I've got some stuff up in SA Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518632

I might be doing some cars/trucks as well, I need to get rid of some stuff.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
I am very new to the RC car hobby as an adult. I had a neato 1/10 scale car when I was like 10 that cost a whole bunch of money and was very fast but I was 10 and played with it like a toy. Now that I am much older I got bored and bought a Traxxas Stampede xl-5. I didn't want to go overboard in case it wasn't as much fun as I remember and I didn't want to learn how to do nitro. All in good time. Right now I am trying to learn about batteries and electric motors and what makes one thing better than the other. The truck came with a charger and a NiMH 3000 mah battery. It takes forever to charge so I bought a traxxas peak charger and an NiMH 3300mah battery. I think this should work for me for awhile.

It has a 12t 550 motor. I am not really sure what this means. I think 12t means it has 12 turns of wire in it. I don't know if more is better or if it means it makes more power. I have no real intentions on upgrading things but I would like to figure out how things work and how they relate to each other. With regards to brushless motors, do they make more power? Use less battery? More battery? I guess they operate at much higher temps but other than that it doesn't mean much to me.

I was hoping the OP to this thread had all the answers but it is pretty simple. Is there any place to start with reading to get a better grasp on this new hobby?

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

https://www.rctech.net

Everything you needed (and didn't need) to know about your new hobby.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
God, every time I come into this thread I'm reminded how badly I want to pick up a truggy and get back into R/C.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Diametunim posted:

God, every time I come into this thread I'm reminded how badly I want to pick up a truggy and get back into R/C.
I only had a Slash for a month or two, and that was two years ago but I still check this thread whenever someone posts something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

My wife ordered my Christmas present....an Axial Wraith kit! For now I'm going to yank the electronics out of the SCX10 and just put them in the Wraith.

I have a ran 1 time Hobbywing Justock "Blinky" ESC (with box and paperwork) with a barely used Team Powers 17.5 touring car motor if anyone would be interested in a sale/trade.

Congrats on the Wraith, I'll be interested to hear how you like it—especially how you'd compare it to the Ridgecrest you had before.

What's a "Blinky" esc anyway? I might be interested in picking it up for my M-05 since I managed to wear out a Reedy brushed motor pretty quickly. It's running a Dynamite Lipo Tazer right now if you need a brushed ESC. It does have a no reverse delay mode for crawling, but I haven't tested it yet so I'm not sure if there's any built in drag brake.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Looks like I'll be seeing a couple of inches of snow tomorrow. I can't wait to see how my Stampede goes with the Trenchers I put on a few months ago. The stock talons had no bite at all in the frozen stuff.

When it snows it makes me wish I would have sprung for the 4wd 'pede. Its still fun but anything more than an inch or two on a plowed road makes it grind to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Congrats on the Wraith, I'll be interested to hear how you like it—especially how you'd compare it to the Ridgecrest you had before.

What's a "Blinky" esc anyway? I might be interested in picking it up for my M-05 since I managed to wear out a Reedy brushed motor pretty quickly. It's running a Dynamite Lipo Tazer right now if you need a brushed ESC. It does have a no reverse delay mode for crawling, but I haven't tested it yet so I'm not sure if there's any built in drag brake.

A "blinky" esc is one that can be easily programmed for a "no timing" mode for most club races. It can be checked because the ESC will blink when its in the no-boost mode. Nearly every type of "stock" racing now requires one of these. The Hobbywing one I got is ROAR approved (if you were wanting to race it). Like I said, I literally only have 5 minutes on it and it's nearly brand new. The 17.5 motor is for on road racing.