Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mokotow posted:

I'm easily swayed by various opinions from folks that do own them, and they seem to fall broadly into "don't ever Bootcamp your Mac, it'll spoil it/destroy the HDD/kill performance". Is there any truth in that?

RMBP user here. I have Win 8 bootcamped and OSX and it works great. If you have VMWare fusion or Parallels you can even run both at the same time. You can reboot between the two in about 25 seconds for the full OS (when playing games/developing Windows Phone). As the next user pointed out you have to be REALLY careful with space however. But then again I ran with both OSX and Windows 7 on a 120Gb for awhile. When you partition the hard drives I'd suggest making the Windows 8 one at least 30 GB larger than the OSX as those games add up fast.

Other consideration is that you lose hard drive space = amount of RAM in the computer unless you turn off hibernation.

I'd love to play Black Mesa, but without a lot of rearranging I can't find the 12GB of space on my Windows partition it requires. I could fit it on the Mac partition but I haven't tried reaching across the partitions yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Stick100 posted:

I'd love to play Black Mesa, but without a lot of rearranging I can't find the 12GB of space on my Windows partition it requires. I could fit it on the Mac partition but I haven't tried reaching across the partitions yet.
Actually I was also wondering, is this doable? Installing a game in Windows on the OS X partition through Parallels? (edit: to answer my own question, apparently it works)

I also have a RMBP, and the hard drive does feel a bit smaller than I'd like; 512 GB would be great, but not really worth the big increase in price. I made my Windows partition 55 GB, but even that's only enough for Windows 7 64 bit, all my software, and one large or two medium-sized games.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 24, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Edit: Nevermind no value to comment.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 24, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'd like to replace the DVD drive in my new 15" mbp with a second harddrive. I know I've seen adapters to do do that but I'm not having a lot of luck while searching.

What's the proper term to search for? And can someone point out a good one?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd like to replace the DVD drive in my new 15" mbp with a second harddrive. I know I've seen adapters to do do that but I'm not having a lot of luck while searching.

What's the proper term to search for? And can someone point out a good one?

"Opti-bay" / "drive doubler" are good terms, though the latter I think is a marketing name from OWC. I bought the OWC-branded one for a bit more, for my 2010 MBP, and it works great. eBay ones can have some tighter mechanical fits, but should work too if you're interested in saving money.

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got my 15 in ch macbook pro retina. It is awesome! but, it has the LG screen instead of samsung. I dont see any sign of image retention so far... anyone have experience with this?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

barfoid posted:

I got my 15 in ch macbook pro retina. It is awesome! but, it has the LG screen instead of samsung. I dont see any sign of image retention so far... anyone have experience with this?

You will have image retention. It just takes time.

Apple phone support refused to replace my LG screen citing 'it's normal for IPS screens'. It took a trip to the store to get it tested and replaced. My Samsung screen is terrific

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I just bought an Airport Express to extend my network because I was getting awful signal in my living room. The 2012 Express has 2 Ethernet ports, one for LAN and one for WAN. I can't find anything in the documentation that says whether the WAN port could be used as a LAN port when the router is in bridge mode. Anyone have any idea if there's a software setting to do that? Hoping to find out before I order unnecessary patch cables.

Also, as a network extender, the Airport Express is so awesome. I was getting 1.5 Mbps down on my iPad before but am now getting about 16 Mbps on my 5gz N network. Not as good as the 20 Mbps I get on my desktop, but still amazing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jink posted:

Apple phone support refused to replace my LG screen citing 'it's normal for IPS screens'. It took a trip to the store to get it tested and replaced. My Samsung screen is terrific

I was so confused when first hearing about this image retention issue. It was like we'd gone back to the 90s and people were getting the taskbar burnt onto their CRTs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

movax posted:

I was so confused when first hearing about this image retention issue. It was like we'd gone back to the 90s and people were getting the taskbar burnt onto their CRTs.

I ultimately had to make my iMac screen saver a plain white image and even then it took a long time to get the burn in mostly corrected. Hilarious it was these forums that appeared in the ghost image for weeks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My Apple Cinema Display still has the Mac menubar burnt into it if you look closely enough. It's not really a concern but it definitely is a real thing.

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jink posted:

ugh. how long did it take to show up? what exactly did you try telling them before you went to the apple store? what did you say when you were there?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I really like the idea in theory of using a NAS, but it's that sort of reliability bullshit that gives me pause. I just want frictionless backup that I don't need to think about - and Time Capsule, despite its drawbacks, sounds like the best option.

I'm not actually wild about the idea of coupling backup to a router, but it just seems like the least bad of available options for a household with 2 (soon to be 3) Macs - only one of which is operated by a nerd (me).
Are any of the Macs desktops by any chance? I'm not sure if they took the feature out, but at least before you could back up to another Mac on the network, like it'd basically act as a Time Capsule.

HolySwissCheese posted:

I just bought an Airport Express to extend my network because I was getting awful signal in my living room. The 2012 Express has 2 Ethernet ports, one for LAN and one for WAN. I can't find anything in the documentation that says whether the WAN port could be used as a LAN port when the router is in bridge mode. Anyone have any idea if there's a software setting to do that? Hoping to find out before I order unnecessary patch cables.

Also, as a network extender, the Airport Express is so awesome. I was getting 1.5 Mbps down on my iPad before but am now getting about 16 Mbps on my 5gz N network. Not as good as the 20 Mbps I get on my desktop, but still amazing.
If you're bridging with a wire, pretty sure you can (had mine set up that way at one point), not sure about wireless to wired bridging though.

Slightly off topic, but if you use wires enough just learn how to crimp your own. You can get a crimper for under $20, a bag of connectors for a few bucks, and whatever cable you want, like 1000 feet for $50-100! (Or something like 100ft for $10). You can also do this for most other cable/connector types but the prices for the connectors and crimping tools isn't always as cost effective (unless you do it a lot and need long lengths I guess).

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
What's the best choice for an external bluray drive? I now have access to a bunch of blu-rays but I can't actually watch them on my rMBP.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

japtor posted:

Are any of the Macs desktops by any chance? I'm not sure if they took the feature out, but at least before you could back up to another Mac on the network, like it'd basically act as a Time Capsule.

If you're bridging with a wire, pretty sure you can (had mine set up that way at one point), not sure about wireless to wired bridging though.

Slightly off topic, but if you use wires enough just learn how to crimp your own. You can get a crimper for under $20, a bag of connectors for a few bucks, and whatever cable you want, like 1000 feet for $50-100! (Or something like 100ft for $10). You can also do this for most other cable/connector types but the prices for the connectors and crimping tools isn't always as cost effective (unless you do it a lot and need long lengths I guess).
Sorry, should have been more clear. The Airport Express is wirelessly connected to my Extreme and is extending my network. There are two devices I would like to connect to the network via Ethernet connection to the Express. I am totally sure I can connect one via the LAN port, but I was hoping the WAN port would act like a LAN port if it wasn't connects to a modem.

Good tip on the make your own cables. I just ordered two short patch cables for $5 total, but if I ever seriously redo this house, I'll definitely string Ethernet cables everywhere.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

movax posted:

"Opti-bay" / "drive doubler" are good terms, though the latter I think is a marketing name from OWC. I bought the OWC-branded one for a bit more, for my 2010 MBP, and it works great. eBay ones can have some tighter mechanical fits, but should work too if you're interested in saving money.

Thanks guys.

I have to say I wasn't expecting these things to be $50+. I may just hold off. This is more a convenience buy than a necessity buy. I have a USB external that will work just fine. I don't move the machine much so unplugging it from time to time isn't a big deal.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

So I need some advice. I bought a Retina MBP in September with AppleCare, and I've always kind of noticed it has the burn in issues that everyone is talking about. I was going to wait until my classes end this semester before I do anything about it.

Last night I accidentally got some scratches on the screen that aren't too bad but are pretty noticeable if the screen isn't dark. I'm worried that if I take it in for replacement for the burn in they'll take issue with the scratches.

Honestly, I would love a new MacBook or a screen replacement mainly to get rid of the scratches, but the burn in has been bothering me as well.

Do you think I'll run into a problem with them or will they replace it for the burn in problem despite the scratches?

If this is the wrong thread to ask this, I apologize.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just make an appointment and talk about the burn in problem, don't mention the scratches unless they bring it up. Just tell the truth about what happened and if the Genius guy refuses to help just make another appointment and get another guy. Service can vary a lot.

There are 3 Apple Stores in my city and I brought my older failing 24" iMac to all of them at some point and they each gave different service options.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

6 days left in November, Apple! Where is my iMac 21.5" ? :emo:

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

I've only got one Apple Store in my area without driving about an hour so I probably have to hope I luck out the first time or I risk running into the same guy if I make another appointment. I've also had a fairly frequent problem with it randomly shutting off while I'm using it, so maybe that will help convince them.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it in in a week or so.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

oversteer posted:

6 days left in November, Apple! Where is my iMac 21.5" ? :emo:

My guess is you'll see them this Tuesday. Here's hoping for the
iTunes release too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HolySwissCheese posted:

Sorry, should have been more clear. The Airport Express is wirelessly connected to my Extreme and is extending my network. There are two devices I would like to connect to the network via Ethernet connection to the Express. I am totally sure I can connect one via the LAN port, but I was hoping the WAN port would act like a LAN port if it wasn't connects to a modem.

Good tip on the make your own cables. I just ordered two short patch cables for $5 total, but if I ever seriously redo this house, I'll definitely string Ethernet cables everywhere.
Hrm I think it would but that's just a complete guess. Worst case since you know the LAN port works at least you could use a cheap switch if the WAN port doesn't work out.

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks guys.

I have to say I wasn't expecting these things to be $50+. I may just hold off. This is more a convenience buy than a necessity buy. I have a USB external that will work just fine. I don't move the machine much so unplugging it from time to time isn't a big deal.
How about :10bux: (well $10.26)? Or this one but there's no user reviews for it yet.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

japtor posted:

How about :10bux: (well $10.26)? Or this one but there's no user reviews for it yet.

I have the first one and it works. There's no crazy moon magic inside of it. It's just an enclosure.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That's weird, I've had a 27" 2009 iMac for ages and have never noticed any sort of burn in issues. At least.... well, now when I get home and check I hope you guys haven't ruined my computer for me...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

printf posted:

What's the best choice for an external bluray drive? I now have access to a bunch of blu-rays but I can't actually watch them on my rMBP.
You still can't really watch them even if you get a drive. Blu-Ray playback software is pretty lovely for computers, and last I checked the OS X offerings were even worse. The best you can do is rip them and watch them later, which is what I do. The Blu-Ray drive itself doesn't matter. I just bought a standard SATA Blu-Ray drive and swapped it into an old enclosure that used to be an external USB 2.0 DVD drive.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You still can't really watch them even if you get a drive. Blu-Ray playback software is pretty lovely for computers, and last I checked the OS X offerings were even worse. The best you can do is rip them and watch them later, which is what I do. The Blu-Ray drive itself doesn't matter. I just bought a standard SATA Blu-Ray drive and swapped it into an old enclosure that used to be an external USB 2.0 DVD drive.

This is the worst actually. I sometimes have to make Blu-Rays at work, and you can burn them with Toast, and Compressor has a make Blu-Ray option, but you have to actually take the disc elsewhere to make sure it actually works or plays. Which I guess is good practice but it would be nice if I could just load up DVD player is OSX to check quickly.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I really wish I could, like, install Crashplan on my Time Capsule and have automated backups of the internal drive to the cloud. Only useful for people who actually use the internal drive for storage, which is nobody but me, so it probably won't happen :smithcloud:

Crashplan, running on your computer, can back up mounted network drives. I've never used a Time Capsule but assuming it works like any other NAS, just leave it mounted and Crashplan will let you back it up like any other external drive connected to your computer. I back my NAS up this way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apparently I'm a week late with this, but Apple is selling refurbs on eBay in their own eBay store?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/19/apple-opens-its-first-ebay-store-for-a-trial-with-select-refubished-products/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently I'm a week late with this, but Apple is selling refurbs on eBay in their own eBay store?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/19/apple-opens-its-first-ebay-store-for-a-trial-with-select-refubished-products/

I saw that too. Figured that it was a way for them to get the word out about refurbs. What is pretty interesting is that they are able to avoid collecting sales tax in areas.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I bought this SSD for my new 15" MBP:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hype...53548449&sr=1-1

First, I tried placing it in a USB enclosure, but OSX didn't see it. Neither did Disk Utility. Another drive loaded just fine in the enclosure.

Just in case, I tried putting the SSD into the laptop itself. I booted up from a bootable OSX install USB disk, but the installer couldn't see the SSD either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this drive come to me DOA?

What are the chances of this happening twice?

My replacement drive won't detect either. Not in my external enclosure, not inside my new MBP. The wife's windows machine won't recognize it in the enclosure either. I haven't taken it apart (again!) to try it inside her machine, but I'm not optimistic.

The 500GB hard drive currently in my MBP detects in all of the above places.

Why the hell won't this work? Did I really just get two identical drives, both DOA? :(

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

kuskus posted:

edit: Amazon has that 3TB for $130

This drive is $99 today! Also, 32GB worked a treat in the '09; just sayin'.

edit: it jumped to $144 and my post is near worthless. Forgive me.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 27, 2012

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

What are the chances of this happening twice?

My replacement drive won't detect either. Not in my external enclosure, not inside my new MBP. The wife's windows machine won't recognize it in the enclosure either. I haven't taken it apart (again!) to try it inside her machine, but I'm not optimistic.

The 500GB hard drive currently in my MBP detects in all of the above places.

Why the hell won't this work? Did I really just get two identical drives, both DOA? :(

Seems to be the case. Unless the enclosure itself is damaging the drive somehow, but I don't even know if that is possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New iMacs November 30th!

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/11/27iMac-Available-on-November-30.html

Well, the 21.5" at least

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Couldn't have really waited another day, I guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

At least you'll be able to order and price out a 27", I think. Here's hoping the pricing stays relatively level- or improves. :toot:

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At least you'll be able to order and price out a 27", I think. Here's hoping the pricing stays relatively level- or improves. :toot:
FINALLY!

The suspense was starting to get annoying. I'm guessing that the 27" will arrive physically on Dec 31, of course.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

movax posted:

In regards to this, is there any reason not to install the SSD in the optical bay if you intend to install the OS on it? I assume there's no difference between the SATA ports and that OS X won't flip its poo poo or anything? Also, are there any major compatibility issues that I should be aware of with particular SSDs? This is for a mid-2012 MBP.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Finally! I've been waiting a few months now. My 08 MBP is on it's last leg and it's been too slow for me to edit photos on. It makes it so I don't want to shoot anymore. I really need something.

Anyway, I'm wondering if Apple is going to do anything stupid; like make it so you can't upgrade the RAM without ungluing poo poo. I have a feeling the HD will be more of a bear to replace but I just hope the ram is still easy. Anyone know yet?

Edit: Found my answer on the Apple page:

quote:

Memory

The 21.5-inch iMac comes with 8GB of memory and can be configured online with 16GB. On the 27-inch iMac, 8GB of memory comes standard, and you can upgrade to 16GB or 32GB. Configure and buy your iMac at the Apple Online Store and it will arrive with the memory already installed. Or add more memory to the 27-inch model yourself by popping open the easy-to-access memory panel on the back.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

In regards to this, is there any reason not to install the SSD in the optical bay if you intend to install the OS on it? I assume there's no difference between the SATA ports and that OS X won't flip its poo poo or anything? Also, are there any major compatibility issues that I should be aware of with particular SSDs? This is for a mid-2012 MBP.

I'd double-check on some Mac forums but in the past people have had sleep issues with their SSD in the optical bay, and also issues with the optical drive bay only being SATA 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s