Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Having worked in telecom for a few years now I feel confident in saying that if we can accurately transmit a very finicky digital signal over miles of plain copper you really don't need to go crazy with a low frequency analog signal traveling just a few feet. It's a bit apples and oranges to be sure but I'm just glad that I never spent too much on high end wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, right, try to have a technical discussion about digital data transmission over at Head-Fi. They'll try to convince you that their quantum-adamantium fiber optic cables brighten the stereo image and bring deeper basses.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well you see, the audio signal is very delicate and will completely change with every property change to the system no matter how minute. Cable is just TV and phone lines are just for voice; it doesn't matter what you use for those.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, right, try to have a technical discussion about digital data transmission over at Head-Fi. They'll try to convince you that their quantum-adamantium fiber optic cables brighten the stereo image and bring deeper basses.

This is part of what I find so confusing about head-fi, it's not really an insular community of people who spend far more money than they should on random audiophile crap, for the most part it's just people who like headphones and listening to music. For the most part it's so normal that it really blindsides me when you see someone who puts spikes on the bottom of his Mac Mini to reduce vibrations because he thinks it makes the music sound better, and then everyone just seems to agree with him that yes this would work why wouldn't it boy there's nothing weird about this guy.

It feels like having a conversation with someone and they're nice, maybe a little too in to some hobby, then BAM they start talking about how homosexuality is a choice and you shouldn't have sex before you're married and AIDS and Obummer and liberals and all that stuff and you can never look at them the same way but you also never would have seen that kind of crazy coming at you -- this did happen to me in real life by the way, can't be friends with that guy anymore.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 22, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
This is why vinylengine is somewhat tolerable for actual conversations about actual equipment. In a thread about how much your turntable/equipment cost, the answer was overwhelmingly :20bux:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Well you see, the audio signal is very delicate and will completely change with every property change to the system no matter how minute. Cable is just TV and phone lines are just for voice; it doesn't matter what you use for those.

Actually if you get oxygen-free cables for your TV then you'll get deeper blacks and truer reds.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Twiin posted:

Actually if you get oxygen-free cables for your TV then you'll get deeper blacks and truer reds.
It might be a digitally identical copy, but you can't say whether it's the same or better unless you've ABXed the two.
Oh, and I don't mean "ABX" - that's too clinical and you won't get true results, you just need to live with the cable a while and you'll see it's better. I've done this with all my cables, and I've never regretted buying any of them.

-- Paraphrased quote from a guy over at that logic-forsaken hellhole last time I used to register there to troll.
I had to stop for my own sanity and internal vision of humanity.

e: In case it's been forgotten, talking about scientific tests (ABXing) is actually banned on Head-Fi :psyduck:

Khablam fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 23, 2012

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Khablam posted:

e: In case it's been forgotten, talking about scientific tests (ABXing) is actually banned on Head-Fi :psyduck:

Huh I didn't believe you but you're right, talking about ABX and placebos and such are restricted to the "Sound Science" forum that I somehow never noticed.

edit: Which basically just seems to be this thread but on the same site that the other poo poo is on.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Khablam posted:

It might be a digitally identical copy, but you can't say whether it's the same or better unless you've ABXed the two.
Oh, and I don't mean "ABX" - that's too clinical and you won't get true results, you just need to live with the cable a while and you'll see it's better. I've done this with all my cables, and I've never regretted buying any of them.

-- Paraphrased quote from a guy over at that logic-forsaken hellhole last time I used to register there to troll.
I had to stop for my own sanity and internal vision of humanity.

Videophiles are an entirely different echelon of crazy, but at least there are standards for video calibration. Most of them also go nuts for sound systems too so there is cross over. I have a semi custom installation and went out of my way to find someone who had reasonable, sane ideas and understood the concept of 'good enough' and was willing to patch the drywall holes he made when doing the work.
I still can't believe that ABX is bankable over there. At least a few of the threads I have seen mention your brain as needing to adjust to new sound signatures in addition to the mythical "burn in."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have seen stray videophiles before, doing the same shtick as the audiophile cable fetishists. Yeah, that 1000€ HDMI cable sure results in better colors...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah but that HDMI bullshit is espoused down at even the lowest echelon of Best Buy shitheads shilling Monster Cables.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah but that HDMI bullshit is espoused down at even the lowest echelon of Best Buy shitheads shilling Monster Cables.

I have a friend who just got a 55" 3D TV and needed an HDMI cable. Rather than buy one for $5 from Amazon, he just couldn't wait and paid $40 for one from BB.

Of course, he always tells me the specs of his TV like it makes a difference to me (it doesn't). I was not particularly impressed with the 3D effect.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

AlternateAccount posted:

I once accidentally bought a $150 HDMI cable. I thought it was $15 and I couldn't actually process the fact that the cable cost $150 until I was halfway out of the mall. I did a total cartoon WAITAMINUTE thing and went back into the store to get a refund. The dude tried to convince me that the hold-plated connectors made it better.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Twiin posted:

I once accidentally bought a $150 HDMI cable. I thought it was $15 and I couldn't actually process the fact that the cable cost $150 until I was halfway out of the mall. I did a total cartoon WAITAMINUTE thing and went back into the store to get a refund. The dude tried to convince me that the hold-plated connectors made it better.
Gold plating = betterer vidyas dumbo.
You get this everywhere.
When I think about this, I think some people spergs just like to massively fetishize tech specs, even when it seems rather mundane. Take this guy's sig:

~Generic DVD-Rom~

I guess audiophiles just like to convince themselves it matters, and get stuck in an upgrade loop; convincing themselves their money is well spent, and in doing so must 'realize' what they're getting isn't ~perfect~ and so will upgrade... and loop.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bought a $45 HDMI cable but it was a 30 foot run and has a built in booster. Those Mono price Red mere ones.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One thing where spending a lot of money actually makes a big difference is Subwoofers. Unless you're a DIY person. The difference between a $300 subwoofer which is good, to a $1200 sub is pretty big. After that price point you start getting into diminishing returns.

Egg in soup
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, up yours.
So is the "burn in" thing complete bullshit then?

I mean, the idea of cables or electronics improving after a burn in period is ridiculous, but it's seems reasonable ( to me ) that speakers and headphones may not sound at their best after being sat in some warehouse for who knows how long.

The booklet that came with my Monitor Audio speakers recommends that I wire them out of phase and position them facing each other for 12 hours before installing them properly.

I've tried to look further into it but it's an exercise in futility, trudging through pages of audiophile wank is funny for a while but it's such a mindfuck.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Khablam posted:

When I think about this, I think some people spergs just like to massively fetishize tech specs, even when it seems rather mundane.

It's just a man thing, we like to measure ourselves against our rivals in any way possible.

Tech specs, horsepower, weightlifting, house size, clothes, watches, head hair, height, significant others etc. etc.. When you break it down, it's all just a dick measuring contest.

And men happen to really like lists of stats. Check out every car review, every tech review, every piece of sports coverage ever. Stats, stats, stats. If item A has 20 more whatsits in stat X than item B does, it's automatically 20 more better.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 23, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

jonathan posted:

One thing where spending a lot of money actually makes a big difference is Subwoofers. Unless you're a DIY person. The difference between a $300 subwoofer which is good, to a $1200 sub is pretty big. After that price point you start getting into diminishing returns.

Speakers in general really. Vandersteen 2CEs are less than two grand (last I knew) and you'd be hard pressed to improve on them for any reasonable amount of money.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Egg in soup posted:

So is the "burn in" thing complete bullshit then?

I mean, the idea of cables or electronics improving after a burn in period is ridiculous, but it's seems reasonable ( to me ) that speakers and headphones may not sound at their best after being sat in some warehouse for who knows how long.
If its something with a moving part, then performance will absolutely change after X hours of usage. Headphones will be something it's most noticeable on; midrange treble can be massively lacking until they've been played a little while. It's not subjective either, reviewers occasionally measure it.
However, the audiophile will go further, claiming one needs to burn them in for 150 hours of sine waves, followed by 72 of white noise, yadda yadda. Of course, only they can hear the effect because their ears are special. Most tend to normalise after about 10hrs of normal use, or so. If cables did change characteristics with use, it would be after 10's of 1000's of hours. They don't, more to the point.

People who burn in HDMI cables are a special type of subhuman whose only larger concern in life is what the chemtrail weather is like today.

Egg in soup
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, up yours.

Khablam posted:

If its something with a moving part, then performance will absolutely change after X hours of usage. Headphones will be something it's most noticeable on; midrange treble can be massively lacking until they've been played a little while. It's not subjective either, reviewers occasionally measure it.
However, the audiophile will go further, claiming one needs to burn them in for 150 hours of sine waves, followed by 72 of white noise, yadda yadda. Of course, only they can hear the effect because their ears are special. Most tend to normalise after about 10hrs of normal use, or so. If cables did change characteristics with use, it would be after 10's of 1000's of hours. They don't, more to the point.

People who burn in HDMI cables are a special type of subhuman whose only larger concern in life is what the chemtrail weather is like today.

Thanks for this, it confirms what I thought and have experienced myself with new speakers and headphones. Whenever I've tried to read further into it I've come across exactly what you describe, nutters taking things into the realms of absurdity.

Not sure if this has already been posted in here but I found this today.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

quote:

...features 3 sub-atomic particle accelerators on SPDIF data transmission.

Edit: Oh so it's a hoax, right?

quote:

It is a TIME MACHINE that returns back in time, restoring completely the recording by eliminating all the distortion accumulated by the recording processing. It is completely passive, no power feeding.

Egg in soup fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 23, 2012

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Speakers in general really. Vandersteen 2CEs are less than two grand (last I knew) and you'd be hard pressed to improve on them for any reasonable amount of money.

Many incredibly expensive HiFi speakers actually use drivers that cost no more than $1200 a piece. Saw some Korean brand that had top of their range at $30k plus for off the shelf fibreglass horns and midrange drivers.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Egg in soup posted:

speakers and headphones may not sound at their best after being sat in some warehouse for who knows how long.

Depends how long you define as a long time. Vintage speakers will suffer from rotting of suspension material, particularly foams. Speakers should be considered as an item with moving parts and overhauled appropriately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Every material on earth has a certain degree of elasticity. Unless you're overdriving your speakers like hell, the vibrations aren't going to shake the suspension materials apart, unless they degrade chemically (rot or whatever).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bob Crites has this writeup on speaker break in. I take his opinion as fact.

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions
Some ramblings of mine will appear below. Some of this is controversial. You can get opinions on the internet telling you whatever you want them to tell you. The opinions below are mine using my logic and my testing.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: Do components have a break-in time?

A: Some do and some don't. Capacitors would be a definite NO. Let's look at this one a bit.

You have new good quality capacitors installed in your crossovers. Capacitors have exactly two qualities that effect the sound of your music that goes through them. Those are capacitance (what we use them for) and ESR. ESR is the sum of all other qualities of a capacitor other than capacitance expressed as an Equivalent Series Resistance. ESR is a bad thing. Good caps have ESR so low it is barely measurable, on the order of a couple of hundredths of an ohm. ESR is made up of stuff like the resistance of the leads and their connections to the foil inside the capacitor or stray inductance or dielectric absorption.

So, we put our new caps in the crossovers. These new caps are right on the capacitance value the design calls for and the ESR is almost unmeasurably low. What exactly of these two qualities do you expect to change with break-in? And if either of them changed, why would you expect the sound to get better since the only way they could change is to go away from the "perfect" values they had to start with? I hope any caps you use in your crossovers are good enough that they do not change at all for many years of use.

Q: But my speakers sound so bright after putting in the new caps that I have to hope they change with break-in. In fact I am pretty sure they are getting better as I listen longer. They must be changing.

A: Sounding brighter is a good thing. That means your old caps were really bad and had high ESR. That high ESR had the impedance all upset on the crossovers and you had the drivers all trying to play at the wrong frequencies. Also, the high ESR was directly attenuating the high frequencies. Now with the new good caps, the frequency and level relationships are back to where the factory had them when the speakers were new. The fact that you think they are changing now is because you are getting used to them sounding like they should. The break in is occurring but it is inside your head instead of inside the speakers.

Q: How about break in time for wires and interconnect cables?

A: None

Q: How about break in time for drivers or new driver diaphragms?

A: Yes, and depends on the size of the driver. Tweeter diaphragm probably break-in at a matter of seconds. They are very low mass and move very little, so any break in would happen almost instantly. Probably happened when the factory tested the diaphragm after manufacture.

Midrange are a bit bigger and have a bit more mass. Break-in is probably on the order of minutes with these.

Woofers would take the longest. I think that break-in on a 12 to 15 inch woofer would be less than an hour played at pretty good volume using music with a lot of low frequency content.

Q: Do different capacitors sound differently?

A: Good caps all sound the same. Let's define that term. A good cap has the value of capacitance we need and has very low ESR (I defined ESR earlier). A bad cap has either the wrong value of capacitance and/or higher ESR. If we compare a good cap to a bad cap, we would probably hear a difference. If we compare two bad caps, they would also probably sound different. If we stay with good quality polypropylene caps, we likely meet the two qualities we need....right value of capacitance and very low ESR.

Q: You say to use a good quality Polypropylene cap. Why not use the cheapest ones? There are cheaper caps than the Sonicaps you use.

A: In testing caps, I look at ESR as a sign of quality in manufacturing. When testing some of the cheaper polypropylene caps, I see low ESR, but ESR that varies between caps more than I like to see. I would rather see all the caps measure about the same and very low in ESR. For instance one popular brand of inexpensive polypropylene caps I have tested varied from about .02 ohms ESR to around .06 ohms ESR in a batch of ten caps. Now .06 ohms ESR is still a good cap and I consider that to be very low ESR. But, since there is a variation between the caps, that makes me question the quality of the manufacturing process for those caps. And since ESR increases with age as a natural part of the aging process, I consider that starting out with very consistent values of ESR when new, is likely to result in the caps staying good (with low enough ESR) longer.

Testing like that, led me to go with the Sonicaps. They were the most consistent of the caps I tested. The manufacturer of these caps tells me that he thinks they may last 50 years. That is much longer than typical caps have lasted and that will be something for others to verify. I won't be around that long and neither will the guy that manufactures these caps. But I do like the idea that he was designing in qualities he thinks would make them last longer.

Q: How do you measure ESR in caps?

A: That takes an instrument made to measure ESR. I use a B&K Model 885 LCR ESR Meter. I also use the Kelvin Clip leads with that. Cost is about $600.00 for that meter with those leads. That is the least expensive meter I know of that will really give accurate measurements of ESR.

Q: I have heard rave reviews of Paper in Oil caps for crossovers.

A: Pure audiophile garbage. All the PIO caps I have tested have very high (around 0.5 ohms) when new!!. I call those bad caps no matter how much someone charges for them. They have that "warm" sound, people say. Warm then is defined as the high frequencies being rolled off.

Q: What do you think of using "bypass capacitors" in a crossover circuit?

A: Not much. The theory is that you can use cheaper caps in the crossover circuit and then use a high quality cap of about 0.01uF to "bypass" that cap and impart the "goodness" of the 0.01uF high quality cap into the circuit counteracting the "badness" of the lower quality crossover cap. First, I really don't like that someone in the cap selling business hijacked a perfectly good electronics term (bypass capacitor) and decided to redefine it's meaning. A bypass capacitor in electronics is a cap used to bypass AC around a DC circuit. Now it is being used to describe this idea of bypassing AC around an AC circuit.

Anyway, at the audio frequencies we use in crossovers and the impedance of the circuit, none of the frequencies we can hear would actually go through that .01uF cap. So, what could that cap do to the circuit? I think the obvious answer is "nothing". Good news is that this would not hurt anything. I have never heard any reasonable and coherent explanation using real electronics terms of how this cap could help anything. I think the whole idea was created to sell more caps. Yes, I am aware that JBL used this trick in a few speaker crossovers for a brief time. But they were selling speakers. Some speaker manufacturers set up their speakers in certain ways just because some they sell them to expect it. Like bi-wiring perhaps.

Q: How do I know if it is time to replace the caps in my crossovers or replace the crossovers?

A: If the caps are over about 20 years of age, it is time to replace them or replace the crossovers. The caps are the main wear item on the crossovers, so a rebuild replacing the caps gets you most of the gain you could get. Replacing the crossovers completely, gets you some more gain because everything would be new and higher quality than the originals.

Also consider that for some speaker lines, parts for the crossovers were of lesser quality to start with since this is a place where costs can be cut and there is not an immediate hit on the quality of sound from the speakers. This applies to the non-heritage lines of Klipsch speakers. We see that in lots of those, the quality of the parts, especially the capacitors was not up there with the quality we see in the Khorn, Lascala, Cornwall 1, Belle, and Heresy 1. So, it is good to work on those earlier than the 20 years I mentioned earlier.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you have to break-in electronic equipment wouldn't it make most sense to buy used?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boiled Water posted:

If you have to break-in electronic equipment wouldn't it make most sense to buy used?

But then you couldn't be sure that it was broken in with the correct sequence of white noise and Hansi Hinterseer schlagerhits :tinfoil:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Boiled Water posted:

Did you miss the bit where the break-in period is like an hour at a decent volume? Unless you're suggesting I follow people home from Best Buy and try to purchase their sound systems after they've listened to a couple of Justin Timberlake CDs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think I tried to apply sense to audiophiles.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I changed the locks on an audiophile's house recently, he spent half the time complaining about the girl that left him and the other half explaining how much his audio set up cost and how awesome it was. I got bored about half way through and just noted the brands. Most of the setup was Gryphon, with this turntable

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10143080-1.html

He had "do not touch" signs on everything, including his cable risers. Crazy bastard, wish I'd taken pictures.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fanelien posted:

I changed the locks on an audiophile's house recently, he spent half the time complaining about the girl that left him and the other half explaining how much his audio set up cost and how awesome it was. I got bored about half way through and just noted the brands. Most of the setup was Gryphon, with this turntable

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10143080-1.html

He had "do not touch" signs on everything, including his cable risers. Crazy bastard, wish I'd taken pictures.
I sincerely hope that you can play that with all four tone arms at once.
In other news I fully expect to be banned from Head fi for suggesting that people listen and decide on what to buy for themselves rather than go on charts and graphs. That and for suggesting that many high end products would ALL sound good!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ultimate Mango posted:

In other news I fully expect to be banned from Head fi for suggesting that people listen and decide on what to buy for themselves rather than go on charts and graphs.

No, that's actually pretty much in line with standard audiophile reasoning. According to them, science and measurements are not to be trusted because your ears are much finer instruments for determining sound quality than some fancy piece of test equipment.

Apparently, measuring sound takes all the 'feeling' and 'emotion' out of it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Fanelien posted:

I changed the locks on an audiophile's house recently, he spent half the time complaining about the girl that left him and the other half explaining how much his audio set up cost and how awesome it was.

I like how he was unable to see the connection between his behaviour and why she left.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fanelien posted:

Those were probably made just for you :shobon:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Why do you need four tone arms?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's like a mechanical comb filter.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I can see the advantage of having a different tonearm for cartridges for 78, mono microgroove and stereo, but you can do the same thing with detachable headshells.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

jonathan posted:

Bob Crites has this writeup on speaker break in. I take his opinion as fact.

Just wanted to pop in and say that Bob Crites is an awesome guy to deal with, replies to emails within minutes and really knows his stuff. He won't steer you wrong. Very reasonable prices as well.

I'm eyeing some of his CT125 tweeters for my Cornwalls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

I can see the advantage of having a different tonearm for cartridges for 78, mono microgroove and stereo, but you can do the same thing with detachable headshells.

Detachable headshells = one more connection. Connections are bad.

In professional gear this is actually a problem since the headshell connectors tend to get dirty over time with people swapping carts/headshells all the time (and licking the loving connector instead of cleaning it). Of course, they have to be detachable to be useful so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

and licking the loving connector instead of cleaning it

This is 100% a lovely club DJ thing.