Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Safety Dance posted:

Grapevine has it that Deckard's American Tavern on Ponce closed.

Eulogy: The food was pretty good for the price, I guess, and their beer list was above average. We'll have to find another place for lunchtime work functions.

Yep. Deckard's American Tavern and Ribs & Blues (on 5th Street) have shuttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

What's the consensus on Local Three?

I think it's solid, if a little expensive for what it is. I've eaten there 6 or 7 times, and have never had a bad experience with food or service. Lobster roll is great, but it's just a lobster roll...

my girl likes it more than I do, she'll suggest going once every month or two

I just miss Joel :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Webbeh posted:

Yep. Deckard's American Tavern and Ribs & Blues (on 5th Street) have shuttered.
Woah, Ribs & Blues is gone? Did they have the same owner?

The last time I went there was a year and a half ago. Cheap pitchers next door to my office.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Josh Lyman posted:

The last time I went there was a year and a half ago. Cheap pitchers next door to my office.

The same owner as Deckards? I'm assuming not.

Yeah, I stopped by there at work (started at GT a few months ago) for lunch. Sad it closed, it was always the go-to place for beer during Taste of Atlanta.

http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2012/11/02/owners-of-5th-street-ribs-and-blues-close-up-shop-to-go-play-golf-instead/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Josh Lyman posted:

I used to work on 5th, sad to see them go.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

Also, I really enjoy the Dekalb Farmer's Market, however I just cannot get my girlfriend to go there with me because the last time we went she was completely flustered by how crowded it was with complete assholes.

By 'assholes' does she perhaps mean 'minorities'? I'm not trying to be snarky, a lot of people do seem uncomfortable when they're in there for reasons they're never able to fully articulate to me, just that the people there made them edgy. I go there pretty often and the only thing that somewhat annoys me is that a lot of the people who work there don't speak much english. Assholes are rare.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
No, it's really just that people were pretty inconsiderate when walking around, leaving their carts in the middle of aisles, cutting in front of others, etc. I guess some lady bumped into her in the bathroom and yelled at her for some reason. It was very crowded and I think it just flustered her. I didn't really have a problem besides being mildly annoyed that carts were blocking of a majority of the produce section.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

what is this posted:

I used to work on 5th, sad to see them go.

http://nique.net/news/2012/11/09/ribs-n-blues-closes-after-9-years/

I had no idea they had been around for 9 years.

WaterIsPoison posted:

No, it's really just that people were pretty inconsiderate when walking around, leaving their carts in the middle of aisles, cutting in front of others, etc. I guess some lady bumped into her in the bathroom and yelled at her for some reason. It was very crowded and I think it just flustered her. I didn't really have a problem besides being mildly annoyed that carts were blocking of a majority of the produce section.

That's my feeling on the place - its busy. If you're used to going to Publix in Roswell or Alpharetta, the Farmers Market is going to be a major change in pace.

Plus, it gets downright hectic on weekends. Not good if you want to browse.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I never even noticed the crowded thing until my girl complained about it. I kind of like the bustle - though yeah people can be really inconsiderate and dumb. I never get a cart and just dart in and out between traffic jams, works well.

also cold. apparently the farmers market is cold, but I didn't really notice until she pointed that out too. :( but I like walk-ins, so.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
People can and will be straight up fight-begging at the Dekalb Farmer's Market---it is only a matter of time before you stop in an aisle, like say the oil and pasta section to examine something briefly out of the giant assortment, and some idiot decides the best way to help you make a decision is to smash their cart into your ankles in a quick jolt a time or so.

Most of the staff have been ok though, save for people wreaking destruction on packaging baked goods and whatnot at the end of the line and drat near crushing everything.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's the deal with the Holeman & Finch burger? Do people just start queuing up around 9, or do you get on a list, or do you just slug it out at 10, or what? I ask because my girlfriend wants to try it someday and my anxiety about things like these makes me worry I'll commit a faux pas.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

What's the deal with the Holeman & Finch burger? Do people just start queuing up around 9, or do you get on a list, or do you just slug it out at 10, or what? I ask because my girlfriend wants to try it someday and my anxiety about things like these makes me worry I'll commit a faux pas.

Just go for brunch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

venutolo posted:

Just go for brunch.
Agreed. And prepare to be underwhelmed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Agreed. And prepare to be underwhelmed.

Pretty much.

The girlfriend said, apropos of nothing, "Let's go to Holeman & Finch," this morning. We went, we waited, we were seated, and she ordered a burger. I ordered some sort of poached egg dish. Out came two burgers, but the food runner was gracious when I said, "No, I didn't order that," and she took them back. Our waiter came out and explained that he accidentally keyed in two burgers. I didn't want to make a stink, so I just accepted the burger. They were good by cheeseburger standards, but nothing special and not what I wanted.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I went to Southern Art last night with a friend in an attempt to get the ham smorgasbord similar to mindphlux. Unfortunately, the chef wasn't too receptive to the idea, so we had to settle for ordering them a la carte, which was still very good. Not sure I could even handle all dozen or so of their selection as the three we did order was a pretty decent portion of meat.

Other than the ham, though, the food was just okay; nothing special at all really. I had the duck and it was well cooked, and the pickled watermelon rind was tasty, but the farro was really bland and uninteresting. My friend had the fried chicken, and while it was good, it lacked any heat or spice to it, so it was pretty one dimensional. It was worth going to try, but I don't think I'd go back again. Ham bar concept is pretty great, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man, I must have really lucked out. or, there was some miscommunication between the waitstaff and chef.

I'm thinking it must have been the latter. I mean, there's no loving way that ham could have cost $18. I mean, even at cost, I had like probably close to a lb of ham. and nice ham goes for like $20-30/lb, retail.

it's even stranger because the chef came out and talked with me for like 10 minutes really enthusiastically about ham, so in my mind I mean.... there couldn't have been a miscommunication, right?

anyways yeah, sorry your experience was less than stellar / didn't live up to my hambar promise

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

I Love Topanga posted:

I'm traveling to Atlanta for the first time at the end of the month for a conference, so I have very limited amount of time to eat. I fly in late on a Wednesday night and leave on Friday at mid-day.

I'm staying at The W, Downtown(45 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard) so I would prefer suggestions within walking distance.

I'm looking for suggestions for:
-Late night dinner/drinks on a Wednesday
-2 breakfasts within walking distance
-a great lunch,
-a quick lunch within walking distance of the conference (The Georgia World Congress Center, 285 Andrew Young International Blvd, NW)

I didn't include the dinner because it will probably be Holeman & Finch (any tips on getting a table?), but other suggestions are definitely welcome.

Also, are there any breweries in downtown Atlanta that I should check out?

I forgot to provide a trip report, sorry. This is what I can remember from about two weeks ago.

This trip ended up being so quick that I really only had the chance for one meal. We decided that one night in Atlanta meant we had to have southern food. We ended up at JCT Kitchen which was awesome.

I had the mussels as an appetizer and they were PERFECT. Incredible broth, with smoky bacon and the perfect amount of heat from fresh serranos. For an entree I had the fried chicken with red peas. The chicken was crispy, but also had a soft flaky breading. 2nd best fried chicken I've ever had behind Wayfaire Tavern in San Francisco. Dessert was rum soaked coconut cake, which I have never had before. I love coconut, and this dessert was incredible. I would go back, just for the mussels and dessert. During dinner I had a couple Terrapin (pales?) beers.

After dinner we went upstairs and had a drink in the bar. The menu looks great up there. I wish I had time to come back and try the beef tartare, chicken liver mousse, and pimento cheese. Ended up having a cocktail then heading across a foot bridge to a little hidden bar that I think was call Ormsby's. They had bocce ball in the basement! I had a couple Monday Night Brewing Scotch Ales and then we were on our way.

I want to come back to Atlanta ASAP. The downtown (that I saw) was beautiful. The people were nice, and the food culture seems incredibly alive.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I Love Topanga posted:

I forgot to provide a trip report, sorry. This is what I can remember from about two weeks ago.

JCT is pretty good, and ormsby's is fun. you did good, congrats!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

anyways yeah, sorry your experience was less than stellar / didn't live up to my hambar promise

Have you cultivated a food-critic vibe? Maybe they were sucking up to you. Was it at an off-peak time?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone been to Cardamom Hill and have any opinions or tips to share? In recent months it has popped up in the Atlanta restaurant stuff I read online, and it sounds pretty good. Until recently, I didn't realize that it was rather close to me.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So it's my roommate's birthday soon and we were thinking about going to a sushi place. Any recommendations? We're near midtown so anything around there would be nice but I don't think anyone would mind going farther out for something a little nicer. We're college students as well so something in the $20-30 range would be ideal as well. Thanks in advance!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

Have you cultivated a food-critic vibe? Maybe they were sucking up to you. Was it at an off-peak time?

I have never met a food critic so I don't really know. I don't think I was looking particularly sharp or commanding any sort of presence that night, I just explained that I wanted to taste just a tiny bit of all the hams, and asked how it would be possible, and at what price. dude came back and was like 'yeah chef says no problem, shouldn't be more than 2-3 orders of ham, so $18-22.'

and then they brought 2lbs of ham lol

venutolo posted:

Anyone been to Cardamom Hill and have any opinions or tips to share? In recent months it has popped up in the Atlanta restaurant stuff I read online, and it sounds pretty good. Until recently, I didn't realize that it was rather close to me.

yeah, we live close I think, I had the same reaction when I finally found out where it was. It's alright, I don't think I have any complaints about the food, but nothing has really blown me away either. worth a try or two.

one thing that does sort of bother me about the place is that it smells overwhelmingly of fried curry leaves. which, if you've never smelt curry leaves before, it's a slightly odd strong bitter smell, to me at least. kind of turned me off a lil, and I'm not normally annoyed by smells. my dining partners said they didn't notice/mind, so I shrugged it off and enjoyed the food, which was all tasty.

enthe0s posted:

So it's my roommate's birthday soon and we were thinking about going to a sushi place. Any recommendations? We're near midtown so anything around there would be nice but I don't think anyone would mind going farther out for something a little nicer. We're college students as well so something in the $20-30 range would be ideal as well. Thanks in advance!

Taka in buckhead is pretty good, a little pricey though. you'll definitely hit the 20-30 range, but you could easily avoid breaking above it. other than that, I personally have given up on most everything in the midtown-buckhead area. there's Miso Izakaya near Inman Park, and then there's tons of good stuff up buford hiway/peachtree industrial/etc

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 14, 2012

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

So I have a Buckhead Restaurant Group gift card I need to use. I don't remember being particularly enamored with any of their restaurants, but it's been a while (years) since I've been to any of them. Reviews are kind of yo-yoish and I don't really know the food background of anyone giving them so I don't know how believable they are anyway. Any opinions as to which one to go to? I'm leaning towards Bistro Niko because I love French...but I love French so if it sucks I'm going to be really disappointed. Steak isn't my thing so probably not Chops (plus last time I was there their Brussels sprouts were inexcusably bitter/overcooked). Pricci's menu didn't really stand out to me. Veni Vidi Vici? Kyma? Niko?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Of those restaurants (minus Chops since you don't like steak), if I were in your spot, I'd either go to Atlanta Fish Market or try to sell it on Craigslist for 80% of its value.

slacker2165
May 2, 2003

venutolo posted:

The food is solid if not memorable, definitely worth a trip if you like Indian food and want to try type that isn't served in most restaurants. Go with the goat or the fish and you will be happy.

Also why does the Porter not get more love here? It doesn't have as lengthy a beer list as Brickstore, but it's still well cultivated and the food is unexpectedly good (even if still all bar food). As long as the tight quarters aren't a problem for you, it's a great place to try a new beer.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

The Porter smells like vomit. Went there once and did a pretty much immediate 180 because of the smell.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

jooky posted:

The Porter smells like vomit. Went there once and did a pretty much immediate 180 because of the smell.

I've been there a TON of times and never smelled vomit. Its one of my favorite places to grab new beers, and enjoy some salt and vinegar popcorn. Too bad that you have to slog thru the homeless and weird rastafarian beggars to get there, and there is ALWAYS a line at peak times. I have had the best luck going by at like 2pm during the week.

But The Yacht Club down the way is one of my fav bars ever, and I seem to have a soft spot for dive bars, so that might explain it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

I've been there a TON of times and never smelled vomit. Its one of my favorite places to grab new beers, and enjoy some salt and vinegar popcorn. Too bad that you have to slog thru the homeless and weird rastafarian beggars to get there, and there is ALWAYS a line at peak times. I have had the best luck going by at like 2pm during the week.

But The Yacht Club down the way is one of my fav bars ever, and I seem to have a soft spot for dive bars, so that might explain it.

I've never had any problems with the smell of The Porter. Great beer selection, and good food (but a somewhat limited menu). The Yacht Club is great.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I have a friend in town, and I haven't seen her in ages. She's staying up in Alpharetta. Is there anything worth going out of my way for up there?

Constraints:
  • She's nominally vegetarian, but will eat chicken. Not sure about fish. No beef, pork, or shellfish.
  • I'd like to keep it in the $20/diner range, maybe a bit more.
  • Ideally somewhere not terribly noisy.

If I had my druthers I'd just take her to H. Harper Station and just pay for everything, but they're closed on Mondays (bastards). Maybe Figo; it's not spectacular, but it's solid.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 19, 2012

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Safety Dance posted:

I have a friend in town, and I haven't seen her in ages. She's staying up in Alpharetta. Is there anything worth going out of my way for up there?

Constraints:
  • She's nominally vegetarian, but will eat chicken. Not sure about fish. No beef, pork, or shellfish.
  • I'd like to keep it in the $20/diner range, maybe a bit more.
  • Ideally somewhere not terribly noisy.

If I had my druthers I'd just take her to H. Harper Station and just pay for everything, but they're closed on Mondays (bastards). Maybe Figo; it's not spectacular, but it's solid.

I kind of hate Alpharetta, but we have some friends up there too, and we've gone to this place called the Salt Factory that was pretty good. http://saltfactorypub.com It's in this little historic district and there are a few other restaurants there too, but that's the only one I've been to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
shaun doty's new place, bantam & biddy got written up in the ajc recently. sounds ok - anyone been?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Just tried Garrison's Broiler & Tap in Vinings last night. I had flat iron steak on bleu cheese and bacon risotto, and the wife had pan-seared salmon. Both were absolutely excellent. Drinks are on the expensive side but very well made...I got to try Knob Creek Rye for the first time and it made one hell of a Manhattan.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I know next to nothing about the world of barista competitions. But I guess there are some big events this weekend? Maybe this interests people here, who knows.

http://octanecoffee.com/2012/11/its-competition-time-again/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just made a reservation at Barcelona Wine Bar for Thursday 8pm for a first date; neither of us have been.

I'd prefer to sit at the bar but is it going to be difficult to find space?

edit: A friend told me to reserve a table in the bar area. I have no idea what that means, but I called and made the request.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 4, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

I just made a reservation at Barcelona Wine Bar for Thursday 8pm for a first date; neither of us have been.

I'd prefer to sit at the bar but is it going to be difficult to find space?

edit: A friend told me to reserve a table in the bar area. I have no idea what that means, but I called and made the request.

I have only been once, it was a saturday. the "bar" "area" was really really really loud, echoy, and really really packed, like you couldn't even get to a table assuming you had one reserved. the hostess pushed through some crowds to help us grab a drink from the swarmed bar.

we ended up sitting outside which was much nicer. food was pretty good, no complaints that I can remember. had a horrible glass of wine, but it was completely my fault for ordering the thing I did. I remember it being relatively expensive, I think our bill was around $100 after tip for a bottle of wine and a really light dinner.

as for date tips : just if you notice it being packed, try to get seated in a side area, or outside if they have heat lamps or it's unseasonably warm. unless your date likes douchey buckhead packed-bar fake tan vibes.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 4, 2012

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Does anyone know if Circle Sushi on Roswell Rd. is open for lunch on Sunday? I've called and they do not have voicemail and their website and Google does not have any hours.

The only thing I can find is their lunch menu says (everyday), but I'm not sure if that means they are open every day for lunch, or that they have lunch on the days they are open.

I know it's a little thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a restaurant doesn't have clear hours listed somewhere prominently.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

AgentHaiTo posted:

I know it's a little thing, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a restaurant doesn't have clear hours listed somewhere prominently.

I'm consistently baffled by the bahavior of restaurants towards the internet. In this day and age there is no excuse to not have hours for every day of the week, specific location info (not awful directions from your mom's house, not an un-copyable address, NOT A GRAINY 10 YEAR OLD SCREENSHOT OF MAPQUEST), and ideally a sample menu. It doesn't even cost any money if you're supremely cheap; you can just put all that on Google maps or Yelp or whatever. Yet time and time again I'll search for some type of food in an area, get a result, but be able to find nothing of substance about the place, not even a phone number. Every time I encounter this I just assume you have some lovely little restaurant that's probably closed, jackasses!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I actually had someone read the Japanese version of the Circle Sushi site in case I missed it there, and she said she got the feeling that it's one of those restaurants that just likes their regulars and don't want a lot of outsiders coming in, so maybe not posting a schedule is on purpose. Which seems weird to me for any restaurant.

My wife just had a craving for sushi for lunch, but we ended up getting Korean on Buford. That's what I love about Korean and Chinese places. They are almost always open.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Any word on Harbor Bar and Fish House? They have a 50% off coupon on Scoutmob now. If there's a chance I can get my oyster fix on locally, I'll take it.

Any other places have good (raw, inexpensive, and not-likely-to-make-me-throw-up) oysters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Talking about oysters, I'm going to The Optimist tonite.

http://theoptimistrestaurant.com/

I hear it's owned by the JCT people, but that's it. It's for my dad's 68th birthday, so hopefully they are good. And yes, I'm getting me some oysters.