Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Misogynist posted:

A who's who of Norwegian has-beens!

Yeah it's like en epitome of the terrible late 90s Candlelight records "art metal" aesthetic. It's absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Can anyone speak Czech enough to translate this song?

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/root/heritageofsatan.html#2

I doubt the words are half as awesome as they sound but a man can hope...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Can anyone speak Czech enough to translate this song?

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/root/heritageofsatan.html#2

I doubt the words are half as awesome as they sound but a man can hope...

"When tears run down a face without a skull
Lucifer laughs at Hell's flame
The cross is turning and blazing
The earth trembles on its foundations

It is the curse of the Name of Names
Hands are raised over and over
Its blood boils and flows out of the body
Again I say... In Nomine Sathanas

Nomine Satanas - Nomine Satanas
Nomine Satanas!!

Destruction comes to shake the monsters
Yet Satan opens the gates wide
And until you clench its bloody claws
Nobody will find peace

Oh Satan ruler of the universe
The song in my heart will never stop
Hell will rise up and sulfur will be smelled
I will say again... In Nomine Sathanas

Nomine Satanas - Nomine Satanas
Nomine Satanas!!"

Some liberties taken but that's the general idea.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Ok I guess that's still pretty loving sweet. :black101:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

muike posted:

Ihsahn still owns sorry.

Yeah I wasn't massively keen on the latest one but After is amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

nomapple posted:

Yeah I wasn't massively keen on the latest one but After is amazing.

angL ruled, After was pretty good, and Eremita is good.

edit--BRING ME MY WIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So I'm working on a t-shirt design for Portland Metal Bowling League and have a decent start on a design, but I'm having some trouble figuring out where to put the text.

This is a first draft all the way, will spruce it up once it's further down the road. Anyway, I've been thinking that I'd have "PMBL" in some gnarly death font or something above the pentagram, and then "Portland Metal Bowling League" in an arc over the pentagram, but the arced text looks lovely/clumsy no matter what I try.

Anyone out there artistically inclined who feels like lending a suggestion? There's a $100 cash prize that I'd break a chunk off to anyone who has an inspiration. Honestly I'd love to see some shaggy-rear end demon sort of hanging over the pentagram, sort of like a Wendigo or something (the forest at the bottom is both a nod to Scandinavia etc as well as to the Pacific Northwest)?

Anyway, I have z e r o artistic chops for making this particularly cool, but it's less about the money and more about the kudos for winning the league shirt. If this should go in Creative Convention, let me know, but it's not a particularly serious project; just thought it was worth checking to see if anyone is inclined to comment or make a suggestion etc. If you're interested in actually putting some time into it for $20-$50 or whatever, PM me or email me at rivetz@gmail.com. Thanks.

P.S. Previous design here:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

rivetz posted:

This is a first draft all the way, will spruce it up once it's further down the road. Anyway, I've been thinking that I'd have "PMBL" in some gnarly death font or something above the pentagram, and then "Portland Metal Bowling League" in an arc over the pentagram, but the arced text looks lovely/clumsy no matter what I try.

Just make the text above your black metal art lovely and tangled and unreadable anyway

thatshtejoke.jpg

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

rivetz posted:

So I'm working on a t-shirt design for Portland Metal Bowling League and have a decent start on a design, but I'm having some trouble figuring out where to put the text.

Do PMBL over the top of the logo and then "Portland Metal Bowling League" to the left and right of it, 2 words each (which two on which side you can decide).

Or swap that, 2 letters each left and right and the text above.

Also, the entire concept of metal bowling and those designs are awesome.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Portland Metal Bowling League: Hail 7-10

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I'm looking for some melodic/symphonic doom/death along the lines of the newest Swallow the Sun and Forest Stream. Themes of nature will be especially appreciated. Thanks goons!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Gorilla Radio posted:

I'm looking for some melodic/symphonic doom/death along the lines of the newest Swallow the Sun and Forest Stream. Themes of nature will be especially appreciated. Thanks goons!

Love that StS. Going to use this as another opportunity to recommend Barren Earth. (Singer from StS, members of Moonsorrow, Amorphis, et al)

Borknagar, who's been mentioned in this thread. I like it.

Also it feels like I should recommend Woods of Ypres. I don't even know where to start with that, just know they went through several styles.

edit: and of course the obvious WitTR

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What do you guys do to keep track of the recommendations posted in the thread? I like this Barren Earth song, but I'm probably not going to remember them. I did add it to my favorites on youtube, but that's a big mess that I never look at after I add something.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Nam Taf posted:

Also, the entire concept of metal bowling and those designs are awesome.
It's awesome. There are well over 100 members so the bowling alley more or less shuts down for us on league night. 10 pm - 1 am nothing but metal on the PA; tunes/playlists are provided by a different bowler every week, determined by lottery at the beginning of the season. This being Portland, the average playlist is doom/stoner friendly, and a lot of death and thrash too.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 23, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ron Jarzombek is a wizard. This song is an app with six instruments and two versions of each with switches and volume controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tXixZK67xY

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Gorilla Radio posted:

You might want to check out Hanging Garden and Ghost Brigade too.

Seconding Barren Earth.

thedreamless
Apr 8, 2008
Dodheimsgard + gojira anyone? I 'm not good with descriptions, but this is a pretty cool piece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTFSVZljS0

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

KingKapalone posted:

What do you guys do to keep track of the recommendations posted in the thread? I like this Barren Earth song, but I'm probably not going to remember them. I did add it to my favorites on youtube, but that's a big mess that I never look at after I add something.

I use the Sticky Notes app on my computer. :)

Or an actual sticky note.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gorilla Radio posted:

How about some Dawn of Solace?
EDIT: And/or Black Sun Aeon. Both are projects by the same guy. He's pretty productive.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2012

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Goddamn, I only just now heard about Isen Torr (featuring Richard Walker from Solstice, Greg Haa from Slough Feg and Tony Taylor from Twisted Tower Dire). Hearing about Tony's death was bad enough back in 2010 when I didn't even know about his kickass side project. Which only released t w o songs. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNmID78QUw

Here's one of them. This is 50% of their output. gently caress.

e: have a Twisted Tower Dire song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwjQWRiA7Is

god, what a waste

Smirr fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 25, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Radio posted:

Someone already mentioned Borknagar so I'll throw in Moonsorrow. It's a good bit different but has that same feel in a lot of their songs. Especially when it comes to themes of nature that you asked for. Try Huuto or Tulimyrsky.

e: warning: these are very long songs. Huuto is 16 minutes or so and Tulimyrsky is almost 30. Then again, if you listen to Forest Stream you're probably used to stuff at least 10+ minutes.

e2: also, Forest Stream is awesome, I wish they'd put out an album more often than every 6 years.

e3:

Nordick posted:

How about some Dawn of Solace?
EDIT: And/or Black Sun Aeon. Both are projects by the same guy. He's pretty productive.

Thanks for this! It's kinda funny how I keep bumping into good metal recommendations from other people's posts.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 25, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://bashtube.ru/video/241054/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6GPD0qC058

Folk metal featuring clean female vocals/male grunts from Tartarstan, Russia (they sing in Tartar, not Russian). I'm glad to see that Russia's music scene is developing so fine after 20 years. It's still a little raw but doesn't bother me.

Album is free for download apparently and I don't know how I can donate to these folks:

quote:

Starting today and during all the next week you can download our new album Nardughan and the additon to it ABSOLUTELY FREE. Enjoy and share it with your friends!

Download it here:
http://baradj.bandcamp.com/album/nardughan

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 25, 2012

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm interviewing Huntress and Dragonforce tomorrow, if anybody wants to ask anything.

Huntress:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Non Serviam posted:

I'm interviewing Huntress and Dragonforce tomorrow, if anybody wants to ask anything.

Huntress:

Ask them what their denim budget is.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Darthemed posted:

Ask them what their denim budget is.
Probably not that high since they can't seem to afford to clothe their frontwoman sensibly.
Seriously, lady, you're not THAT hot. Put some drat clothes on.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Folk metal featuring clean female vocals/male grunts from Tartarstan, Russia (they sing in Tartar, not Russian). I'm glad to see that Russia's music scene is developing so fine after 20 years. It's still a little raw but doesn't bother me.
Hey, this isn't bad stuff. It doesn't exactly give me a huge urge to hear more or anything, but it's still pretty good. Gotta keep an eye on these guys.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Non Serviam posted:

Huntress:

I guess these can go for both bands:

What is your favorite place to get tacos? (Follow up: which kind do you like the best?)

What's your opinion on Disney acquiring Lucasfilm? Do you really think the beibs might play Han Solo's kid?

Window, isle or middle?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

NVM, wrong post.

EDIT: As to Jill Janus' hotness... I beg to differ:

And yes, I know a few female singers who'd probably like to punch her in the face for "setting women in metal back a few decades" :P

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 25, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Smirr posted:

Goddamn, I only just now heard about Isen Torr (featuring Richard Walker from Solstice, Greg Haa from Slough Feg and Tony Taylor from Twisted Tower Dire). Hearing about Tony's death was bad enough back in 2010 when I didn't even know about his kickass side project. Which only released t w o songs. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNmID78QUw

Here's one of them. This is 50% of their output. gently caress.

e: have a Twisted Tower Dire song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwjQWRiA7Is

god, what a waste

Tony ripped me and quite a few others off when it came to buying that EP. I never got a chance to own it til recently.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

Tony ripped me and quite a few others off when it came to buying that EP. I never got a chance to own it til recently.

drat, that sucks to hear. What did he do, just not send it?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Are there any women in extreme metal that don't dress like they're a Suicide Girl the band hired to stand in front of them? I want more hulking, bearded women in my goregrind.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Non Serviam posted:

NVM, wrong post.

EDIT: As to Jill Janus' hotness... I beg to differ:

And yes, I know a few female singers who'd probably like to punch her in the face for "setting women in metal back a few decades" :P

Wasn't she a topless DJ before singing for Huntress?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

Are there any women in extreme metal that don't dress like they're a Suicide Girl the band hired to stand in front of them? I want more hulking, bearded women in my goregrind.

Jo Bench from Bolt Thrower comes to mind (re: dressing normally, not re: being bearded):

I love this photo. :allears: On their website, it's right next to one where they're standing in front of a tank, too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

Not really a specific question but I'm curious as to whether Dragonforce are in on the fact that they're a total joke. I actually suspect that they are.

e:

Cobweb Heart posted:

The women in Eluveitie dress pretty normally. Or at least balding dreadlocks lead singer guy is just so much more embarrassing that you don't notice.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 25, 2012

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

IRQ posted:

Not really a specific question but I'm curious as to whether Dragonforce are in on the fact that they're a total joke. I actually suspect that they are.

They have trampolines on stage and engage in a lot of pantomime in their live show - of course they know they're a joke.

When I saw them about ten years ago they had their mics on during the encore, so you could hear them say 'HAY GUYZ, WHERE'S THE CROWD GONE? I CAN'T HEAR THEM AT ALL THEY MUST NOT WANT US BACK!!!!' to encourage more cheering. Lame but lovable I guess.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ask the gentlemen from Dragonforce whether they'd ever consider playing Demoniac material... particularly this "witty" ditty :rolleyes:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Cobweb Heart posted:

Som, the former singer of Cerebral Bore, basically wore plain clothing the whole time. She personally hated the fact that a band would get more exposure simply because the singer is a girl.

The Perfect Element posted:

They have trampolines on stage and engage in a lot of pantomime in their live show - of course they know they're a joke.
I actually like Dragonforce, even if I don't take them seriously (although I don't think they take themselves seriously either). :colbert:
Kissin' Dynamite is opening the show and, in this case, I really can't believe these people are serious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP1QzucFRh8

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Speaking of metal bands not to be taken seriously, I just found this: http://hothmusic.bandcamp.com/track/torn-asunder-by-a-wampa

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Smirr posted:

drat, that sucks to hear. What did he do, just not send it?

Yeah, only a few people received theirs. Mr Walker is a standout man and got involved to sort it out and get in contact with him, but I didn't want to put him out any further and just let it go.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Non Serviam posted:

Kissin' Dynamite is opening the show and, in this case, I really can't believe these people are serious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP1QzucFRh8

And here I was thinking Glam was dead.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I already listen to Barren Earth, Borknagar and Moonsorrow, but I'll be looking for the others at my local music store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Who's ready for some Sims 2 black metal? :pwn: I wonder if Dani Filth had anything to do with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqMMZ7Cto0