Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Just a trip report from having to deal with the Nintendo service department. My gamepad died after less than a day and they required it be sent in before being sent a replacement. I mailed it out Tuesday and they got it Friday. I talked with them yesterday and they claimed the tracking still showed it hadn't been received and was still in transit when I was actually looking at the tracking and it had been delivered Friday morning. Somehow I doubt I'm going to see a new gamepad this week and I'm going to be super pissed at Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That really sucks. I've only ever had really good experiences with them and I usually hear great things. I know it's a pain for them but honestly if you could give them a tracking number, given the importance of this launch and system for them I'm surprised they didn't just ship you a new one as soon as they saw yours was on its way to get it over with and end the problem. It's not like they won't be able to fix yours up or use the parts later down the road.

Also I have to admit, so far I've used the Wii U every day since I got it at least for Netflix and even as a browser when I don't feel like using the computer. I have no regrets now. I was very skeptical about this system too but it actually can do enough "stuff" online that not having a massive amount of must have launch games isn't a problem.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

xwonderboyx posted:

I really wish sony and microsoft would get on this train because I'd love to play Halo or Metal Gear on my controller without the TV.

Can you imagine MGS played with the help of the gamepad? All the radars and extraneous elements of the HUD would go to the controller, leaving a clear screen. I can picture Kojima doing some insane things with the hardware.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can anyone point me to easy steps to updated the Wii Shop Channel on my Wii without the system update? I've been so out of the loop with Homebrew I can't really remember how to just update the channel so I can download the system transfer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Liku posted:

Can anyone point me to easy steps to updated the Wii Shop Channel on my Wii without the system update? I've been so out of the loop with Homebrew I can't really remember how to just update the channel so I can download the system transfer.

It should force you to update when you try to enter the shop. If not it's on one of the last pages of the system settings.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah but running a system update will kill my Homebrew, I'd like to just update the channel.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Gendo posted:

Like a Wacom tablet? You can get them for well under a hundred now depending on surface area.

Whether a Gamepad or a Wacom Bamboo would be better depends on your purposes. For drawing, the screen isn't worth it, Wacom wins. But I'm sure at least the hacker community can do interesting stuff with the Gamepad, similar to how they repurposed the Kinect. The Gamepad has practically all forms of established inputs, from thumbsticks to a camera to a gyrosensor, AND it has an entire goddamn screen. I'm sure you could do all sorts of fancy stuff once someone cracks latency-free streaming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Download ModMii, use it to download a WAD for the latest Shop Channel, install on your Wii using the WAD manager of your choice.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Runaway Five posted:

I found one copy of Wii Play Motion left at a Wal-Mart. It rang up about $50. I showed them the Wal-Mart dot com flyer and I was told they don't price match with Wal-Mart dot com. (He looked like a veteran employee who would know the skinny)

So, what does this mean? Is it up to the individual stores if they are marked down to $15? Did I get an employee who didn't know what he was doing? What can I do? I was sure that they'd have to honor what Wal-Mart dot com said the price was... :(

My local store had 5 of them (marked $49.99). I explained to the electronics lady that they were $15 online and she said she needed managers approval. Then I told her to give me 4 of them. She said she can only "comp" me one of them at the online price. I ended up buying one and sending my girlfriend in to grab another.

I did notice on the Walmart app that it specifically states the the physical stores may have different pricing than the online store. So I guess we got lucky :)

Oh and for those lucky enough to find these in stock, they come with the rubber case!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Liku posted:

I mean, I expect stupid poo poo like this from Nintendo, but for them to fix it? I don't know.

What do you propose as a solution?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think people underestimate just how hacky the Wii's firmware was, and how infeasible it is for Nintendo to just snap their fingers and make every part of it seamlessly compatible with the Wii U's corresponding features.

Sure, they kinda shot themselves in the foot, but the shot was fired six years ago.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Download ModMii, use it to download a WAD for the latest Shop Channel, install on your Wii using the WAD manager of your choice.

Thanks, worked like a charm and the transfer went smoothly (and adorably, hell yes Pikmin).

Though, now I think my "Wii Mode" on the Wii U is hosed up, it thinks there's an SD card in there even if there isn't and when I try and click it I'm greeted with a black screen and text saying the system files are corrupt, error #004. Not a big issue, since there isn't anything I wanted on the SD card and I'll ever go into the menu, I just hope it doesn't mess with poo poo later down the line.

Chronojam posted:

Have a single shop and place everything on Wii U menu and just have it boot in Wii mode? Is there any reason to really even have a Wii Mode? It's just a menu to launch Wii things, so cut the bullshit step and put everything on the Wii U menu but have it boot natively.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chronojam posted:

I'd be satisfied if they just put the Wii Shop Channel stuff on the Nintendo eShop proper as an alternative way to purchase Virtual Console/WiiWare games, much like how DSiWare stuff is purchasable through the 3DS's eShop. Despite all the poo poo the Virtual Console gets for its slow trickle of releases, there are still plenty of games on there I'd like to purchase, and having a means to do so that doesn't involve buying more Wii Points would be great.

Granted, there's probably more to it that just throwing them up there and calling it a day.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think they may actually have run into trouble getting Wii software to boot from outside the Wii firmware environment; that's just how much of a clusterfuck the Wii was, under the hood.

For example, I don't think sending users to a separate program to boot Wii discs is something Nintendo wanted to do, but something that they determined was unavoidable.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Liku posted:

Yeah but running a system update will kill my Homebrew, I'd like to just update the channel.

Follow these steps it worked for me
http://gwht.wikidot.com/wii-shop

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Could using actual money now instead of points have something to do with it also? Maybe there's some obscure legal or logistical reason that they can't just drop the entire library into the eShop because of that. I can't imagine they consider the current way ideal. At the same time though, if WiiWare/etc. sales were as embarrassingly low as has been rumored they probably just don't care to work out having them boot separately.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Liku posted:

How will it kill your homebrew? I recently downloaded the latest update and the HBC wasn't affected at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My television just died and I was sitting here thinking, "Of course is did right after I get a new console. Wait a second..."

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
I know my nerve has lessened in my old age, but holy poo poo, the first 5-10 minutes of ZombiU is freaky.

This game is already everything I want from a zombie survival game, since I'm already afraid to leave the safe house.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Miiverse just proved its worth.
No menu to select the different costumes in batman AA?
No problem I'll just check gamefaqs. No dice.
Miiverse had a post with "yeahs" that was straighforward and worked. Thanks Nintendo!

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Great.... I thought I fixed the freezing and blaring sounds in Nintendoland by setting park visitors to English Only, but it did it again tonight, several times in a row. I thought it might have just been because we had 3 players (like last time), but then it happened again with just one gamepad player (because we hadn't even entered a game yet). So Nintendoland is just unplayable now? It's my favorite... :(

flyboi posted:

Am I just really stupid or does the calibration in the fzero minigame on always go out requiring you to recalibrate? Pretty frustrating.

You're not the only one! I was only 2 zones away from beating it... D:

Policenaut posted:

It will probably help. There's been a ton of people in this thread who've gone "I'm not too sure about ZombiU, I'm waiting for more reviews/Goon opinion/a price drop/RedBox or GameFly to get it/etc", so I imagine a demo will clear up things with them.

I'm looking forward to a ZombiU demo, I can use that to determine if I'll want the full game or not!

Liquid Penguins posted:

Would it be feasible to hold the pad high up at the same eye level as the tv while playing?

I'd like to contribute that New Super Mario Bros. U should be a good candidate for this. It's one of the handful of games that you can play the whole game on just the gamepad, so you won't need to look at the TV at all.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is it just me or does the sound lag (or plays faster?) on the wii u gamepad than the tv? It happens from time to time and it bugs the hell out of me so more often than not i have the sound off on the gamepad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

horchata posted:

Is it just me or does the sound lag (or plays faster?) on the wii u gamepad than the tv? It happens from time to time and it bugs the hell out of me so more often than not i have the sound off on the gamepad.

Yes, most notably with instructions in Nintendoland. Its jarring and I hate it, have to turn of the volume on gampad till its over. Im not running through a fancy receiver so I cannot delay either sound to snyc them up. This has to be a know problem.

vitari
Oct 12, 2010
If anyone was looking for a Deluxe one in the US, Gamestop.com is taking orders again. They say the next shipment is expected in three days.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh my god. You can move Vimeo videos to the tv andkeep browsing on te gamepad. I'm posting this whilst watching the Star Citizen preview.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Ziddar posted:

It's kind of odd, given that the 3DS eShop has the entirety of the DSiWare shop within it, I believe. It also has no problem plopping downloaded DSi stuff on its home menu. It doesn't go into DSi mode unless you actually launch that game. It'd be nice if the Wii U functioned the same way.

I refute this as the lack of My Notebook and Sing National Anthems is not available on the 3DS and is on the DSI shop.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

How easy is it to transfer things from the internal memory to a hard drive? I'll be getting my console this week and I figured I'd just download Mario instead of make a trip for it but I don't have an external yet.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I completed Little Inferno today. What a weird, compelling experience. I still think it's a little pricey for what it offers, but I hope it's pm everyone's radar.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

vitari posted:

If anyone was looking for a Deluxe one in the US, Gamestop.com is taking orders again. They say the next shipment is expected in three days.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one :D

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

robot roll call posted:

How easy is it to transfer things from the internal memory to a hard drive? I'll be getting my console this week and I figured I'd just download Mario instead of make a trip for it but I don't have an external yet.

I don't know but that game is only 2 GB so you could easily download it again if necessary.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Waffleopolis posted:

I have an odd question, and I don't know if this is considered homebrew or not, but...

Has anyone on the internet found a way to use the Wii U's gamepad as a tablet for the PC? I'd love to have a tablet of my own to practice drawing but they are so expensive... :(
Practice on Miiverse!

Random Stranger posted:

My television just died and I was sitting here thinking, "Of course is did right after I get a new console. Wait a second..."
...I still haven't seen NSMBU on TV yet cause I've just been playing on the gamepad.

horchata posted:

Yeah the latency to the gamepad is probably less than the lag your TV introduces. Try going through your TV's options to see if there's a "game mode" and/or manually turn off whatever enhancement features it might have to try to reduce the lag.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm gonna guess Nintendo publishes their first batch of VC games soon enough, and seeing how your Wii-games are reportedly registered on your NNID, I'm assuming you'll be able to redownload them straight on your WIi U menu. Where do you download WiiWare titles as of now? Vie Wii mode?

Speaking of VC, I wonder at what pace they'll add new games this time. On the one hand, what killed the Wii's VC was that they were originally handing it out to quickly, but now that a lot of people already have games, it'd make more sense to upload them on the eShop so they can play it natively.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are a ton of factors that caused the Wii VC to decline but pushing out games too quickly absolutely was not one of them.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

horriblePencilist posted:

seeing how your Wii-games are reportedly registered on your NNID

They're not... this isn't an announced feature.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

shadowobsessed posted:

Great.... I thought I fixed the freezing and blaring sounds in Nintendoland by setting park visitors to English Only, but it did it again tonight, several times in a row. I thought it might have just been because we had 3 players (like last time), but then it happened again with just one gamepad player (because we hadn't even entered a game yet). So Nintendoland is just unplayable now? It's my favorite... :(

Same here. I ended up removing the Internet connection from the console to keep it from crashing.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They're not... this isn't an announced feature.

Oh, they're not? I thought I read somewhere that it'd do that. Registering games is gonna be tough, though, considering there's no way of knowing whether a game was bought or pirated.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

horriblePencilist posted:

Registering games is gonna be tough, though, considering there's no way of knowing whether a game was bought or pirated.

I didn't think of this. drat pirates.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

How will it kill your homebrew? I recently downloaded the latest update and the HBC wasn't affected at all.

It would have removed my access to Boot2. Either way, I got around it and all is good, save for the SD card error that causes a hard lock on the Wii U.

SweetChill
May 11, 2009
How large is the ZombiU download/install off the eShop?

SweetChill fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizeh
Nov 25, 2012

Space Dicks
From information posted in this thread, and game reviews of ZombiU from you lovely American earlybirds, I am more eagerly looking forward to the WiiU across the pond than ever :3

The glitches mentioned by some are a little off-putting but the general feel across the board is that it's a worthwhile purchase. Unlike some, I am more excited for Rayman than ever despite the delay, and ZombiU doesn't need to be the most fleshed out game in the universe for me to enjoy it.

All in all, roll on Friday!

• Locked thread