Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I love the idea of a cucumber saison but I don't think I'd have the guts to try making one.

What's the goon opinion on protein rests? My first-ever all-grain batch calls for one, but after some research I can't tell if that's a Real Thing or not anymore (if you don't care about clarity).

If it is a Real Thing what's the procedure ... just mash at the lower temp and then bring it up to the normal mash temp using much hotter water? Is there any danger in scorching the grains or whatever by doing that?

Recipe for reference: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Witbier.pdf

Picked something simple to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I have a batch of cider that's getting dumped soon. It was my laziest ever batch: forgot to write down any notes, no OG reading, probably forgot to sulfite, forgot to do a 2nd nutrient addition and left it in the kitchen where it got some indirect sunlight in a glass carboy. Tasted it yesterday and it was foul, like a skunky beer. So it was either the lack of sulfiting and wild crap infected it or the UV from sun and kitchen lights did something. Oh well, now I know.

Today I'm getting ready to do some additions to meads and ciders. I've got a ginger infusion and a mulling spice infusion ready to go into the meads and I just started boiling some medium toast french oak chips to go in a cider. They smell wonderful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I'm moving this weekend and have found five cases of homebrew and a case of mead that I had forgotten about stashed in various places around my tiny little apartment. This is going to require an extra trip to transport it all. On the plus side, my labor force is in a better mood now with a surprise huge pile of beer waiting at the end.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

What's the goon opinion on protein rests? My first-ever all-grain batch calls for one, but after some research I can't tell if that's a Real Thing or not anymore (if you don't care about clarity).

I'm not a huge expert in this but if anything, for that recipe, a protein rest seems counter productive. It's supposed to reduce haze, which is the opposite of what you want in a witbier. It can also contribute some body and head retention but with a buttload of wheat and oats those should already be well in hand.

I probably wouldn't bother, but if you do, you're right on the technique. BeerSmith (or probably some free program) can calculate exact temps and volumes for you. But the general idea is to dough in with a pretty thick mash and hit 120ish. Then after 15-20 minutes add enough very hot water to get to your desired saccharification rest temp and a normal mash thickness. If you don't have access to some kind of calculator to figure out the temps and volumes I wouldn't gently caress with it as it's not that important.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Awesome thanks for the heads-up Doc :respek:

Currently harvesting a bigass beaker full of dregs from a Westbrook beer that has 3 strains of Brett and some Jolly Pumpkin schmutz that we worked hard to get out of the bottle.

I'm determined to have the thickest, funkiest yeast cake possible in a year or so. I successfully resurrected Ommegang's proprietary saison yeast so ... I'mma make some nasty poo poo.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

fullroundaction posted:

I love the idea of a cucumber saison but I don't think I'd have the guts to try making one.

If it is a Real Thing what's the procedure ... just mash at the lower temp and then bring it up to the normal mash temp using much hotter water? Is there any danger in scorching the grains or whatever by doing that?

Recipe for reference: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Witbier.pdf

Picked something simple to start.

Usually it's recommended for recipes heavy in pilsner malts but nowadays most pilsner malts are already fully modified and doing a protein rest is counterproductive, if anything.

You can actually get "less-modified" pilsner malt and in that case a protein rest is appropriate. I did that once for a 50/50 less modified pils/wheat heff (along with a beta glucan rest and three decoctions). Hate to say it but technically speaking it may be the best beer we ever brewed - once the yeast cleared out it was actually krystal in clarity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Docjowles posted:

I'm not a huge expert in this but if anything, for that recipe, a protein rest seems counter productive. It's supposed to reduce haze, which is the opposite of what you want in a witbier. It can also contribute some body and head retention but with a buttload of wheat and oats those should already be well in hand.

I probably wouldn't bother, but if you do, you're right on the technique. BeerSmith (or probably some free program) can calculate exact temps and volumes for you. But the general idea is to dough in with a pretty thick mash and hit 120ish. Then after 15-20 minutes add enough very hot water to get to your desired saccharification rest temp and a normal mash thickness. If you don't have access to some kind of calculator to figure out the temps and volumes I wouldn't gently caress with it as it's not that important.
With a buttload of wheat and oats the protein rest is to probably keep the mash from turning into jello sticking up the sparge. Rice hulls do the same thing without complicating your mash schedule.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Just thought I'd share this pretty awesome Northern Brewer cyber Monday deal. Buy their IPA kit and a 5 gallon kettle and get their starter kit for free.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I hope that's not the only thing they're going to be doing for Cyber Monday considering they didn't do anything for Black Friday (online). Been waiting all week to place a big order just in case :xd:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Any opinions on how long I can store yeast slurry in the fridge? I made a starter Friday morning and ended up getting sick today and am not inclined to brew. From googling around it looks like my best bet will be to decant and store the slurry which should last for a week?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It'll last for way longer than a week. I've restarted yeast after a month or two of just sitting in the back of my fridge with no problems at all. Yeast is very resilient!

It doesn't really matter when you decant off the liquid (before going in the fridge or after pulling it out) as long as you do it before making your new starter wort (it's going to be funky).

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

It'll last for way longer than a week. I've restarted yeast after a month or two of just sitting in the back of my fridge with no problems at all. Yeast is very resilient!

It doesn't really matter when you decant off the liquid (before going in the fridge or after pulling it out) as long as you do it before making your new starter wort (it's going to be funky).

I guess I should note that I'm hoping to just pitch it into my wort once I can brew, which will hopefully be next weekend.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Starting a brown ale today. Tell me again why I should not do a secondary?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Starting a brown ale today. Tell me again why I should not do a secondary?

Because it doesn't do anything?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Yeast is better, we routinely pitch more and healthier cells, ingredients in general have better nutrients, we understand the need for healthy fermentations better overall. This results in less stress on the yeast and eliminates autolysis in the short and medium term.

In short, the conditions that made transferring to secondary desirable no longer occur.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Also by not going to secondary you reduce the chance for infection/contamination either in the new vessel or during transfer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Very well, I'll try it without a secondary. Thanks!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Friday before last (the 16th), I brewed an "Texas Bock" from AHS choosing the US05 instead of the recommended American or German styled lager yeasts (mostly since I don't have lagering capability).

Is US05 known for taking a long time to completely ferment? That sucker is STILL bubbling like crazy in the bucket I put it in a solid 9-10 days ago!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I plan on secondarying my beers before cold crashing, but only because we use buckets and it's nice to see where the yeast starts for racking into a bottling bucket. Once we go all carboys I'll not secondary.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

LaserWash posted:

Friday before last (the 16th), I brewed an "Texas Bock" from AHS choosing the US05 instead of the recommended American or German styled lager yeasts (mostly since I don't have lagering capability).

Is US05 known for taking a long time to completely ferment? That sucker is STILL bubbling like crazy in the bucket I put it in a solid 9-10 days ago!

It depends on a whole lot of things. However, airlock activity is not a good gauge of fermentation. You might just have excess CO2 leaving solution. Take a gravity reading with your hydrometer.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

LaserWash posted:

I used US-05 in a 1.100 OG imperial stout and it fermented out in 4 days. It's still bubbling a little bit but the gravity has been steady.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welp I forgot about my saison and left it in the house while we turned off the heat. Looks like it's been fermenting at lager temperatures (around 50) for four days. We pitched on Sunday. Am I screwed or should things be fine if I just let it ferment a bit longer?

It's the White Labs American Farmhouse Ale, WLP670. Here's the info:

WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend
Inspired by local American brewers crafting semi-traditional Belgian-style ales. This blend creates a complex flavor profile with a moderate level of sourness. It consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces. Great yeast for farmhouse ales, Saisons, and other Belgian-inspired beers.
Attenuation: 75-82%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F
(20-22°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 5-10%

I'm hoping that getting it cold for four days isn't going to do much beyond slow fermentation and possibly create some interesting flavors.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Even if you froze it solid the yeast would come back to life once it warmed up. Worst case some of it went dormant and will take a few days to kick back into full gear. I'm very interested to see what kind of flavors you get from fermenting that low though. I'm usually at the funky upper end with my saisons.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

:ohdearsass: :ohdearsass: :ohdearsass:

SA Homebrew Secret Santa!!!

Fill out this form here. Lets say a two week reg period, so we'll keep it open until 12/8 at around 10pm pst. I'll send everyone their Santees that night.

Last year we had 10 people, none got bad santa'd. Overall I'd say it was a good SASS!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Midorka posted:

Just thought I'd share this pretty awesome Northern Brewer cyber Monday deal. Buy their IPA kit and a 5 gallon kettle and get their starter kit for free.
So as someone who's never brewed at home but has been considering it for a while, is this a decent way to get started?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fullroundaction posted:

Even if you froze it solid the yeast would come back to life once it warmed up. Worst case some of it went dormant and will take a few days to kick back into full gear. I'm very interested to see what kind of flavors you get from fermenting that low though. I'm usually at the funky upper end with my saisons.

Should be interesting. The recipe is based on Northern Brewer's Saison de Noel, only with some substitutions for ingredients available from my local homebrew store.

Specialty Grain
0.5 lbs Belgian Aromatic Malt
0.25 lbs Weyermann Carafa III
0.25 lbs Crystal 120

Fermentables
6.6 lbs CBW Pilsen Light
1 lbs D-90 Candi Syrup
1 lbs Briss Pilsen DME (15 Minutes)
1 lbs Corn Sugar (15 Minutes)

Hops & Flavorings
1 oz US Magnum (60 Minutes)

Yeast
White Labs WLP670 Farmhouse Ale

OG was 1.070, fermentation temperature has been between 68 and 72 for four days, and then around 50F for three days, and now we'll go back to our regularly scheduled temperature. It was bubbling like mad the first day, and actually popped the airlock. I cleaned it up a bit and after the second day things slowed down.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Hauki posted:

So as someone who's never brewed at home but has been considering it for a while, is this a decent way to get started?

I say so, you get everything you need including your first batch at the cost of the starter kit. I do highly recommend an auto-siphon though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 26, 2012

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm in! Now to figure out what is going to be ready to ship :ohdearsass:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Imasalmon posted:

It depends on a whole lot of things. However, airlock activity is not a good gauge of fermentation. You might just have excess CO2 leaving solution. Take a gravity reading with your hydrometer.

Explain "excess CO2 leaving solution.". I have no idea what that means.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Yeast produces CO2 during fermentation. All the sugar could have been eaten by the yeast, however, CO2 is still in suspension in the beer and can come out through the airlock. Like when you carry a carboy around, the airlock can still bubble. That doesn't mean the beer is still fermenting. This is why judging just airlock activity isn't a good enough metric to really know what is going on in the bucket/carboy.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, that makes sense. Is there anything I should do for that or is it taking care of itself?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Fill out this form here. Lets say a two week reg period, so we'll keep it open until 12/8 at around 10pm pst. I'll send everyone their Santees that night.

Last year we had 10 people, none got bad santa'd. Overall I'd say it was a good SASS!

I'll gladly do that! How much are we thinking of sharing in terms of $$$/Quantity of Beer?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll gladly do that! How much are we thinking of sharing in terms of $$$/Quantity of Beer?

I think last year the standard was a sixpack?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This sounds like fun! I'm assuming it's okay to mix mead/cider in with the packages or are we sticking strictly to beer?

Also:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

---

It looks like the NB starter kit does come with an auto-siphon so you should be good to go. My only reservation would be that if you have a gas stove capable of boiling a full 5 gallons then you're almost immediately going to want to get a bigger kettle to do full boils. If you're stuck on a crappy stove and can only boil 2-3 gallons anyway then the 5 gallon kettle is perfect.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I think last year the standard was a sixpack?
Last year I sent and received 2 bombers which I was pretty happy with.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Last year I sent and received 2 bombers which I was pretty happy with.

I sent a 6 pack, and wound up getting four bombers (one of which contained one of the best lagers I've ever had).

edit: Signed up!

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

LaserWash posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Is there anything I should do for that or is it taking care of itself?

It is in no way a problem. It's called carbonation. You just can't just fermentation by it. Take a gravity reading, wait 24 hours, then take another gravity reading. If it hasn't moved, and it's in the expected finishing range, bottle it.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
New to homebrewing and new to the thread. I will be brewing mead, so any of you meadmakers out there, I'll sure appreciate tips and help.

So the initial investment for all my brewing equipment (I do not live anywhere near home brewing equipment store) ended up being roughly 200 bucks (much of it shipping costs). I followed the initial suggestions and shopping list from 'The Compleat Meadmaker' for his suggested novice must and I grabbed most off Amazon. I tried to pick things that would last a long time, so I shopped quality first.

5 gallon glass carboy (holy gently caress the shipping was over 20 dollars welp)
strapped carboy carrier
6.5 gallon plastic fermenter
siphoner and tubing
3 drilled stoppers and 3 fermenting locks
floating hydrometer and thermometer
1lb bulk yeast nutrient and energizer
lalvin 71b 1122 yeast
16 quart stockpot
a big loving spoon

I will pick up bottling poo poo later on. I was more focused on getting stuff for my first batch. Still need the honey, so if anyone has a "best" place for bulk honey I'd certainly be interested.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Who Dat posted:

I will be brewing mead
I just pitched a batch of mead tonight and here's my input:
  • You got too much equipment, but that's better than too little. You can use the carboy as secondary, which I like to do with mead (not with beer).
  • I get honey from local farms, but for this batch I picked mine up from Costco at a pretty good price
  • Skip the yeast nutrient
  • After your first batch, switch to bread yeast using this recipe - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/
  • Be careful with your hydrometer. Everyone breaks a few, although I'm still on my first.
  • Sell your stock pot for bottling equpiment/supplies. For mead I bottle in clear bottles with plastic topped tasting corks that can be inserted and removed by hand, similar to some liquor bottles. I sometimes have to press them back into the bottles after a few weeks of conditioning, but they're super convenient and generally stay put after a reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Who Dat posted:

if anyone has a "best" place for bulk honey I'd certainly be interested.

Like porkface, I went to a local apiarist. Ask around at farmer's markets and such.

My first mead is still in the fermenter, but I have basically followed the process outlined in this whitepaper:
http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wmead.pdf