Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

However much people complain about flaws in the outings (or perhaps you just don't like gunpowder warfare) it's still really painful to go back to the pre-Empire/Napoleon games given what a massive leap forwards on the strategy layer they were.

Seriously. I enjoy stainless steel but I can only play for a little bit before I throw my hands up out of frustration because I have to build some retarded poo poo at a city or deal with the map being 200 years travel time wide.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223180/

It's a DLC pack that unlocks the Otomo clan for vanilla Shogun 2, and adds a bunch of gunpowder themed units (Portuguese mercenaries!) and Christian buildings.

On a personal note, since I was educated at a Jesuit college, I burst out laughing once I realized that the new building chain finishes with one.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 21, 2012

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Radious one of those TWcenter modders that everyone here hates? I want to add the A.I and and maybe some balance mods and I want to see if he did anything stupid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Radious one of those TWcenter modders that everyone here hates? I want to add the A.I and and maybe some balance mods and I want to see if he did anything stupid.

No, that'd be Darth. The guy behind DarthMod. The mod with Darth Vader slathered all over the loading screens.

Radious and his stuff are perfectly fine.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

No, that'd be Darth. The guy behind DarthMod. The mod with Darth Vader slathered all over the loading screens.

Radious and his stuff are perfectly fine.

Don't make fun of Darth or he'll quit modding forever. You're walking thin ice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I can never get mods to work on my steam version of Medieval 2. It makes me sad. Oh well!

I hope Rome 2 can work on old computers, I would really like to try it out. Not holding my breath though.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Haven't CA repeatedly stated that they're trying as hard as possible to get Rome 2 to run on the same computers that ran Shogun 2?

If your computer can hold up with that, then you should be moderately okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Wizard posted:

Haven't CA repeatedly stated that they're trying as hard as possible to get Rome 2 to run on the same computers that ran Shogun 2?

If your computer can hold up with that, then you should be moderately okay.

Mine really struggles with Shogun 2 :smith:

Rome 2 seems like a worthwhile game to upgrade for, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

Don't make fun of Darth or he'll quit modding forever. You're walking thin ice.

Oh no, if he quits though who'll paste awkward pop culture references on my games loading screen and in the quotes file!? who!?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can never get mods to work on my steam version of Medieval 2. It makes me sad. Oh well!

I hope Rome 2 can work on old computers, I would really like to try it out. Not holding my breath though.

You have to download the mod and change the name of its folder to the name of one of the original campaigns. Then you choose that campaign in the launcher.

Stainless Steel was a pain in the rear end about it but they've made it work 100% with Steam using this method.

It gets confusing tracking down what mod you want to play though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fall of The Samurai is half off in todays Autumn STEAM sale.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its not unrealistic that it could show up later as a daily or flash deal for 75% off though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fall of The Samurai is half off in todays Autumn STEAM sale.

It's not a daily deal though. It's possible it'll go cheaper.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Never the less, once again Total War games and DLC are going to be dirt cheap in the next few days keep your eyes open.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Total War series 75% off on Steam today.

EDIT: Shogun 2 66% off. Some how missed that in the sea of 75's in the Master Pack.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 24, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

How in gods name do you fight fire in Fall Of The Samurai on your ships? Stopping OR repairing leads to the usual collapse of morale and abandonment...

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

How in gods name do you fight fire in Fall Of The Samurai on your ships? Stopping OR repairing leads to the usual collapse of morale and abandonment...

I highly suggest downloadingt the Radious Naval mod. It makes navel engagements go from infuriating affairs to knock down drag outs where ships actually sink and a fire isn't effectively game over for that ship.

It balances this by making bigger ships significantly more dangerous, so a single fleet of large ships can still obliterate several fleets of smaller ships/less tech'd ships.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I've got Rome: Total War and really really enjoyed it. Played more campaigns than I can remember. Tried Medieval 2 and wasn't so crazy about it.

Since the entire Total War series is so cheap for the next 30 or so hours, should I buy Shogun 2/Napolean/Empire vanillas, no add ons? Or go for the Master or Grand Master Collection? Not sure how worth it the add ons are.
I assume Shogun 2 is the best of them too?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I've got Rome: Total War and really really enjoyed it. Played more campaigns than I can remember. Tried Medieval 2 and wasn't so crazy about it.

Since the entire Total War series is so cheap for the next 30 or so hours, should I buy Shogun 2/Napolean/Empire vanillas, no add ons? Or go for the Master or Grand Master Collection? Not sure how worth it the add ons are.

Shogun 2 is the best in the series so far, yes. It's worth picking up the master pack for it, as the DLC adds quite a lot to both the base campaign and contains an entirely new campaign as well.

The add-ons for the other Total War games are less than ideal, in my experience.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wait for the Christmas sale. Only for summer and Xmas sales have I seen them properly bundle the older TW games.

I bought M2 gold (M2 + Kingdoms) but it looks like they don't include that in either bundle (I might be wrong). Haven't gotten back into Empire/Napoleon but there was an Empire/Napoleon bundle back then that netted you all the DLC for both games as well. I guess the Grand Master bundle does it but not sure why they don't offer it right now.

I do wish I played more of E/N/S2. I should get on that after spending like 100 hours on Rome (just on Steam) and about as many on M2, just vanilla, I might add.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Napoleon is good and the Spanish Peninsular DLC campaign is worth getting. Empire is kinda wonky but can be fun just from the sheer ambition of it.

Shogun 2 is excellent, as are both the DLC campaigns.

40 bucks for like every Total War product ever made is not bad deal at all, though.

If you're on a budget:
-Napoleon Total pack: $7.50
-Shogun 2 Pack: $12.50
-Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai: $10 (or wait, this will probably go on sale later for less)

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 25, 2012

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai are the most polished total war games to date but I'm not sure I would go so far as to say they are the best since that is largely down to preference for things like era/scale and so on. Personaly I'd get the collection and play in the order of release because the improvement in polish shogun provides will make it harder to go back to older titles.

For a quick summery

Empire: Huge scale (three theaters: Europe India and North America) possibly too big. Absolutely broken at release but largely playable now, especially with mods. 18th century gun warfare which is very different to the melee focus of previous games. Some people like it some don't. First introduction of battle engine naval combat.

Napoleon: More focused smaller scale (a few mini campaigns culminating in grand campaign on a cut down Europe). Much more polished than Empire, combat improved and refined in both land and naval battles.

Shogun 2: Even smaller than napoleon (islands of Japan). Very little faction variety. Very polished, mainly melee combat. Multiplayer has been balanced better than in the past. Naval combat is godawful.

Fots: Like Shogun 2 but with later 19th century units mixed with traditional melee units. Naval combat slightly better than shogun but still pretty poor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

I highly suggest downloadingt the Radious Naval mod. It makes navel engagements go from infuriating affairs to knock down drag outs where ships actually sink and a fire isn't effectively game over for that ship.

It balances this by making bigger ships significantly more dangerous, so a single fleet of large ships can still obliterate several fleets of smaller ships/less tech'd ships.

I'm giving this mod a go because at the moment Naval combat is hilariously unfun as explosive shells combined with the weak willed morale of ships crew pretty much render everything void. Even Ironclads.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Flippycunt posted:

Napoleon is good and the Spanish Peninsular DLC campaign is worth getting. Empire is kinda wonky but can be fun just from the sheer ambition of it.

Shogun 2 is excellent, as are both the DLC campaigns.

40 bucks for like every Total War product ever made is not bad deal at all, though.

If you're on a budget:
-Napoleon Total pack: $7.50
-Shogun 2 Pack: $12.50
-Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai: $10 (or wait, this will probably go on sale later for less)
FOTS is 5$ on Amazon.com until today, I believe. Steam key, just buy it and plug it in, it's what I did.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Thanks guys. If it's likely there will be better packs during the Christmas holiday, I'm just going to get Shogun 2 + Shogun 2 Collection + Fall of the Samurai. I'll get all the rest at Christmas and that should hold me for a very, very long time.

e: Hell with it, bought the Grand Master Collection.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 25, 2012

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

With all the deals going on I bought every Total War game I was missing minus Empire, since everyone here kind of shits on Empire and Napoleon is way better anyway.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Hey, I just saw the Empire collection on Steam on sale for real cheap so I bought it, I just had some general questions about it.

- What's the general consensus for the game, just alright?

- What are the recommended mods to play this game? Are there any that add more provinces to the campaign map? I saw France and Spain have 1 province for their whole country, that's a little screwy.

- The Multiplayer Campaign mode, is this a real thing, or more like Medieval II's Hotseat multiplayer campaign? Is it still supported? I may be convincing one or two of my old total war friends to pick up ETW for the multiplayer aspect alone, if it's everything it sounds like it is.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Turned all the settings to low on Shogun 2, and oh god the load times :negative:. Also, any tips for campaign? I only tried two battles, and got my rear end thoroughly handed to me trying to assault some compound on a hill. Couldn't even get close with their archers.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Turned all the settings to low on Shogun 2, and oh god the load times :negative:. Also, any tips for campaign? I only tried two battles, and got my rear end thoroughly handed to me trying to assault some compound on a hill. Couldn't even get close with their archers.

The load times are godawful pretty much regardless of your system (though I think an SSD might help somewhat). As far as the campaign goes- if you don't have a serious advantage in terms of available forces consider laying siege to castles instead of just assaulting them. Simply attacking entrenched forces can be costly even with overwhelming superiority and while laying siege theoretically takes a while the AI generally sallies forth pretty quickly (within a turn or two) unless they're obviously capable of receiving aid from a doom stack in time. You can greatly cut down on your casualties by making them come to you.

Also (assuming you're playing the base campaign)- trade income is bananas and if possible you really want to control several of the trading routes at the edge of the map and pile a whole bunch of trade ships on them. And naval combat sucks so if its something you need to concern yourself with try to get a big enough doom stack to safely autoresolve combats and save yourself some pain. The one exception is the Black Ship which will clown entire fleets by itself with its cannon broadside. You stand a much better chance of capturing it via autoresolve than by actually playing out the battle, but if you do manage to capture it you'll want to manually manage any battle you use it in.

As far as land stuff goes- you'll want to switch to Katana or Naginata infantry as the core of your army fairly quickly as the Yari infantry is simply too specialized against cavalry. That said you definitely want a few units of spears to shore up your flanks (and quickly reinforce positions if you're using Yari samurai). Beyond that it's pretty much just finding a mix of units that works for you and what you're doing.

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 26, 2012

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

The load times are pretty much all down to your processor due to the compression Shogun 2 uses, so faster HDD doesn't help much, but disabling things like antivirus can help a little.

There is hope though, there is a patch due out on the 1st of December that apparently reduces load times by around 25% and reduces the game file size by 30%. We could have used that patch about a year ago but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth I guess.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I didn't really put too much time into Shogun 2. The tutorial is nice but the dumb thing is I wasn't anticipating a Shogun style siege after all the time with a typical ONE WALL ONE SQUARE siege from Rome and Medieval 2.

Doesn't help that even if you fail the siege mission tutorial you 'win' it and advance the tutorial. That and I wasn't entirely sure if the capturable points on that map were worth getting and also my ninjas all died and I think I wasted all my cannon rounds.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Sober posted:

I didn't really put too much time into Shogun 2. The tutorial is nice but the dumb thing is I wasn't anticipating a Shogun style siege after all the time with a typical ONE WALL ONE SQUARE siege from Rome and Medieval 2.

Doesn't help that even if you fail the siege mission tutorial you 'win' it and advance the tutorial. That and I wasn't entirely sure if the capturable points on that map were worth getting and also my ninjas all died and I think I wasted all my cannon rounds.

That siege tutorial is terrible and basically worthless since you have a force totally unsuited for taking a fortification. The actual siege battles play out a lot better (although that isn't difficult).

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Yes but without long load times you wouldn't get to hear this gem all the way through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_UjFFpD_c

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Which directx version are you using? It may have changed since I played last but a widely reported issue was that Dx11 made load times significantly longer so I usually kept it on Dx9 . It still wasn't fast (even with an ssd) but it was better. I really hope they fix this for Rome 2 because load times are a big deal in total war games.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Hey, I just saw the Empire collection on Steam on sale for real cheap so I bought it, I just had some general questions about it.

- What's the general consensus for the game, just alright?

Empire is polarising, some people love the scale, some people think its just too big to work properly (not to mention some people were just burned by the release state). Personally I fit into the second category but I think it can be fun to mess around in because of the scale.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 26, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any tips for siege battles? While I was playing, I just let the autoresolve handle siege battles.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Any tips for siege battles? While I was playing, I just let the autoresolve handle siege battles.

In Shogun 2, autoresolve for attacking siege battles is probably going to net you less deaths. In defensive siege battles, just move your guys away from the walls until the infantry start climbing them, then move them back on. That way, your walls kill a very significant amount of bad guys.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Someguy posted:

Yes but without long load times you wouldn't get to hear this gem all the way through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_UjFFpD_c

No need, the original version has been stuck in my head since 2002. And thank gently caress CA are finally getting around to crunching down on the load times for Shogun 2.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Struensee posted:

In Shogun 2, autoresolve for attacking siege battles is probably going to net you less deaths. In defensive siege battles, just move your guys away from the walls until the infantry start climbing them, then move them back on. That way, your walls kill a very significant amount of bad guys.

If you're in anything bigger than a single-walled fort, I've always gone with the strategy of putting my free garrison levy archers at the first wall to pick off a few of the approaching soldiers and engage them in melee when they get to the top of the wall. Sure they'll die, but they're just the garrison. The severely reduced enemy forces that make it past the garrison troops will get shot up by more accurate archers on your inner wall. You can also throw in a cheap spear levy or something on the first level to keep them in arrow range even longer before they hit the inner wall. You should easily be able to hold off an attacking army 3-4 times the size of your defending units.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The loading times in Shogun 2 aren't that bad for me, with the notable exception of the main menu, which takes a minute or more to load. Sure its pretty, but do you really need a looping FMV going behind your menu?

I'm looking for a change up, has anyone played the King Arthur series? They look kinda like TW battles with army upgrading similar to multiplayer Shogun 2 with some other RPG bits tossed it. Its hard to tell from the screenshots, is this accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

When sieging a castle, if you continue the siege for a few turns, the enemy will come out of their castle to fight you in an open field battle. I almost never have to fight siege assaults because of this.