Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Argas posted:

Out of curiosity, any idea if it's possible to use Audioengine's speakers as part of a larger setup? I doubt I'll replace my old mediocre Z-5500s anytime soon but whenever I do replace them, I'm reluctant to have less speakers.

It depends. The A2 and A5+ are active speakers. They have built-in amps. That's not to say that you couldn't use them as surrounds if you knew what you were doing, but you should never connect active speakers to an external amplifier or receiver like you would some "standard" speakers. The P4 are passive. There's no integrated amp to speak of- just a crossover, a tweeter, a woofer, and a cabinet. You treat them as you would any other regular speaker- in that you'll need an amp/receiver to drive them.

titaniumone posted:

I'm sure those are alright but aren't really comparable and why I told him to specify a budget.
\
:smug::fh:

Oh snap, your $750/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag are in a completely different league from my $330/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag. I'm sorry for making a suggestion. I've listened to the PSB minis. They're good, but also overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd look at Tannoy Reveal 501A or 601A for pc speakers, and maybe a DAC if you don't have an okay soundcard already.

You can connect active speakers to a surround sound system if your surround amp/reciever has line-level pre-outs.

I'm also inclined to agree with Electric Bugaloo, $750 seems a tad steep.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It depends. The A2 and A5+ are active speakers. They have built-in amps. That's not to say that you couldn't use them as surrounds if you knew what you were doing, but you should never connect active speakers to an external amplifier or receiver like you would some "standard" speakers. The P4 are passive. There's no integrated amp to speak of- just a crossover, a tweeter, a woofer, and a cabinet. You treat them as you would any other regular speaker- in that you'll need an amp/receiver to drive them.

\
:smug::fh:

Oh snap, your $750/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag are in a completely different league from my $330/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag. I'm sorry for making a suggestion. I've listened to the PSB minis. They're good, but also overpriced.

Your speakers have a built-in amplifier and a 2.75" woofer, mine need an external amplifier and have a 4" woofer. They are meant for different purposes, and hence why I said not really comparable. It has nothing to do with being smug. Why are you so ridiculously passive-aggressive? We can both offer suggestions.

Argas: It is never a good idea to pair standalone speakers with a "home theater in the box" receiver like the Z5500's unless you have a good understanding of the power requirements of your speakers, and the power handling and resistance of your receiver. You can easily damage the speaker, receiver, or both. I used to have Z5500s, and I wouldn't want to try connecting anything but the Logitech satellites.

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 18, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Argas: It is never a good idea to pair standalone speakers with a "home theater in the box" receiver like the Z5500's unless you have a good understanding of the power requirements of your speakers, and the power handling and resistance of your receiver. You can easily damage the speaker, receiver, or both. I used to have Z5500s, and I wouldn't want to try connecting anything but the Logitech satellites.
He doesn't need to connect the speakers to the Z550: They're both powered setups with analog inputs. He could plug in the standalones to his front speaker output of his sound card and the Z550s to the rear and center/sub outputs.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 19, 2012

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Dominoes posted:

He doesn't need to connect the speakers to the Z550: They're both powered setups with analog inputs. He could plug in the standalones to his front speaker output of his sound card and the Z550s to the rear and center/sub outputs.

I wasn't sure if he was talking about the passives or the actives. My advice was for the passives.

For the actives, yeah, that would work great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

titaniumone posted:

Your speakers have a built-in amplifier and a 2.75" woofer, mine need an external amplifier and have a 4" woofer. They are meant for different purposes, and hence why I said not really comparable. It has nothing to do with being smug. Why are you so ridiculously passive-aggressive? We can both offer suggestions.

The P4 are passive speakers that require external amplification and have a 4" woofer also. In retrospect, I realize that I hadn't been entirely clear with the model of Audioengine speaker that I was promoting. As I posted before, the company makes 2 active lines (the A2- with 2.75" woofers and A5+- with 5" woofers) and the P4, which are passive and have similar specs to the PSB minis. Anyway, sorry if I jumped down your throat a bit. I really thought you were simply dumping on the P4s for being cheaper.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, it's blurry. On the desk is:

-Toshiba Satellite L755-S5244 that runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- A mid 2011 Mac Mini with a 256Gig SSD running Ubuntu 12.10 connected to the two big monitors
- A SD card reader
- A pandaboard ES
- The smaller monitor on the side is used for the pandaboard ES
- The banana holder is for my headphones that are currently at work.
- A coaster

I'm a embedded Linux engineer. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 25, 2012

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ratbert90 posted:

I'm a embedded Linux engineer. :smug:

Yet you can't use a thumbnail [img] tag?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Yet you can't use a thumbnail [img] tag?

Mmm, giant blurry photo. I wonder if it spans all three (? honestly it's hard to tell) monitors? :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Dang you guys are fast. :smith:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
It's also "an engineer"

Here's my messy desk which I will be replacing with a smaller desk and a real computer monitor instead of that 32 inch TV on the left once I move into my new apartment.

leeds
Mar 8, 2012

Forgive the messy desk;
Specs:

PC home built - ASUS P8P67 mobo w/ intel i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5 GHZ
Logitech keyboard/mouse
Logitech Z313 Speakers
Logitech Attack 3 joystick
HP G60 inside the notebook bag
Some cheap rear end HP Printer
iMac G3 below my desk

leeds fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 26, 2012

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

SevenSocks posted:

Expensive looking speakers, cut foam packing stands. Crafty. Dual widescreen monitors in portrait orientation for maximum eBook. Also crafty.

Given the classy speakers, music stand, and name-escapes me audio device in the bottom right I take it you're a music kind of person.

Also, is that webcam a C615 or similar? I was planning on buying a refurbished one to hang in the hall outside my door so I can monitor the often loud goings on. :tinfoil: and wanted to know how good of a camera it is. Scale of 1 - 10

Don't recognize the speakers but the monitors, mouse mat and keyboard are all nice. This person knows what to buy.

Is that a Gnome desktop I see too?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Not enough desk space for three monitors, so I solved that problem with an Ergotron dual mounting arm. It couldn't have worked out more perfectly.

Toxicirishmn
Aug 21, 2012

Only the dead have seen the end of war...
That sir, is a very sexy setup! I need another monitor...actually I only have one monitor at home, so I need 2 monitors haha.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Not enough desk space for three monitors, so I solved that problem with an Ergotron dual mounting arm. It couldn't have worked out more perfectly.

Heh, we have the same desk (z-something something?). Granted I haven't changed the layout in quite the while~

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I used to hide my cable shame better but ran into issues when I had to add something to the bundle.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Desktop

Sim sperging

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I hate working from home. This used to be where I'd unwind. Now I have a loving Cisco phone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Oldstench posted:

I hate working from home. This used to be where I'd unwind. Now I have a loving Cisco phone.

Heh. I know how you feel. Now I have a server, a Yealink and two Polycoms. And soon to be another Yealink, couple more Polycoms and another server. :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ihmemies posted:

Wow, 186x100cm, now I'm jealous. In Finland Ikea sells only 186x62cm tabletops so I had to buy a flimsier one elsewhere to get one big enough :/

This is so confusing... Finland and Sweden are right next to each other!

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
Just grabbed a 24", so the 22" has become my vertical scroller. I didn't know how I'd feel about it, but I actually like it. A lot. Off to the left is my "DJ" station, where I pretend I know how to mix. Brown box is the last SSD (240gb Intel 520) to be installed in my THPC, and then all my OSes are on SSD.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Please tell me that stands for Tony Hawk's Pro Computer

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Tony Hawk is a goon. Confirmed. You saw it here first.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Bucket Joneses posted:

Please tell me that stands for Tony Hawk's Pro Computer

heh, It don't. I'm just an idiot.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Granbar posted:

Tony Hawk is a goon. Confirmed. You saw it here first.

I'd prefer Tony Hawks honestly.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I know this thread is running a little slow, but I'm pretty impressed by a lot of these setup. I just built my new pc the other day and I'm graduating soon. So I'll be home a lot more. I never really had a home desktop before. I'm wondering if there are any recommended desks where I can put my pc on it. The reason for this is there is a potential for floods in my area and I wouldn't want my pc to be in water one day.

Thanks in advance

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I know this thread is running a little slow, but I'm pretty impressed by a lot of these setup. I just built my new pc the other day and I'm graduating soon. So I'll be home a lot more. I never really had a home desktop before. I'm wondering if there are any recommended desks where I can put my pc on it. The reason for this is there is a potential for floods in my area and I wouldn't want my pc to be in water one day.

Thanks in advance

That's called 'flood insurance' not 'a special flood-proof desk'.

Or, less snarkily: there's not a desk made that's going to guarantee that anything on it will survive a flood, so that's why you insure your poo poo.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

cstine posted:

That's called 'flood insurance' not 'a special flood-proof desk'.

Or, less snarkily: there's not a desk made that's going to guarantee that anything on it will survive a flood, so that's why you insure your poo poo.

I understand that. I'm not talking about protecting the desk though. I just want a desk sturdy enough to carry the weight of my pc case.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Anything that isn't a card table.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dizeh
Nov 25, 2012

Space Dicks

Mitsune posted:

Heh, we have the same desk (z-something something?). Granted I haven't changed the layout in quite the while~

*Gundam Wing Wallscroll*

YES.

Tasteful and Nostalgic. +1 Sir.

(And don't think i can't see that Trigun poster down the back there too!)

Dizeh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 26, 2012

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Friends rented out their spare room to me and, yeah...its kinda small

(the tissues are so not for what you think they are)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

codo27 posted:

Friends rented out their spare room to me and, yeah...its kinda small

(the tissues are so not for what you think they are)

What keyboard is that?

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
Looks like a Microsoft Sidewinder.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Argas posted:

What keyboard is that?

IDE peg it as one of those that comes with different fancy key sets.

Something you don't want.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

My work office recently got a renovation, and now in addition to my spread of cables, I have ample wall space that I'm looking to cover with something sufficiently classy/technical for an IT office.

Any suggestions?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Flat screens.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm awaiting the day someone proves they have anime wallscrolls in their office that live women might enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
This is a picture of my whole space, pretty much. The computer on my desk has changed and doesn't sit on top of the desk anymore, but other than that, mostly everything is as it is now. This picture was taken about a year ago.