Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

leica posted:

It's to the point now where I question his motivations, it's like he's doing dumb poo poo deliberately to get attention, like tweeting pics of Keesha's cocaine http://www.thelostogle.com/2012/01/23/do-you-realize-wayne-coyne-may-have-tweeted-a-pic-of-kehas-cocaine/

I saw that when he did it. I didn't think it was really cocaine, I figured he crushed up some mints or something and tweeted that as a joke. Cause that seems like a Wayne thing to do. Ke$ha later tweeted something like "those are crushed up tums that Wayne is snorting for his diarrhea." And obviously Wayne and Ke$ha aren't on bad terms or anything, as they performed together as guests at a Ben Folds show a few months ago.

Yeah, I think some people saw that and took a joke seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno man I don't have any trouble at all believing that Wayne and Ke$ha were, in fact, railing lines of coke and he thought it would be awesome to tweet a picture of it.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Wayne doesn't really do a lot of drugs, much less coke. If he's been telling the truth, that is. I mean he's made it known that he's smoked pot and dabbled in acid and mushrooms a few times, but he's not really the hardcore druggy everyone makes him out to be. I do think he's seemed to have gotten back into smoking pot pretty recently, though. But that's nothing.

He also said that Ke$ha wanted to do acid during that recording session and he told her no.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

but he i remember wayne was touting the fact that Ke$ha was on like 12 hits of acid for 2012 like he was gonna put it next to her name on the featuring part of the song title. 2012 - Ke$ha on 12 Hits of Acid Singing About the End of the World

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weirdojace posted:

Wayne doesn't really do a lot of drugs, much less coke. If he's been telling the truth, that is. I mean he's made it known that he's smoked pot and dabbled in acid and mushrooms a few times, but he's not really the hardcore druggy everyone makes him out to be. I do think he's seemed to have gotten back into smoking pot pretty recently, though. But that's nothing.

I think you're confusing the timeline. Wayne does a lot of drugs now, whereas for most of the Lips' lifetime he didn't really do any (besides alcohol and tobacco).

By all accounts (I know a guy...) he's pretty "into" drugs now.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Fair enough. But doing lines of coke and tweeting about it? I just really thought that was a dumb joke he pulled. I kinda still hope it was.

I know his rediscovery of pot and perhaps psychedelics has creeped into their current musical output, but even then I never saw him as the type to just go crazy and snort coke in a recording session.

But maybe I'm wrong, I have no real way of knowing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have you ever done cocaine? After a few good lines of coke, anything sounds like a good idea. :v:

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I'd imagine so. I've never tried it, and don't plan to. It's on my "don't really wanna touch that" list.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never paid for cocaine. I've worked for and with people who did a lot of it (clubs, bars, strippers, you know) so there have been a lot of nights where, after a bunch of scotch, free (good) cocaine became a "why the hell NOT?!"

The hangover can be terrible if you naturally have sinus issues (which I do, it's why I quit smoking tobacco finally) but eh, you know, I regret nothing.

/drug derail

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Surfingelectrode posted:

Alright, here's the tracklisting:

01 Do You Realize??
02 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1 (Unused UK Radio Mix)
03 Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 2 (Not Final Mix)
04 Funeral in My Head (If I Go Mad)
05 Fight Test
06 One More Robot (Not Final Mix)
07 Are You a Hypnotist?? (Not Final Mix)
08 Assassination of the Sun
09 I'm a Fly in a Sunbeam (Following the Funeral Procession of a Stranger)
10 Sunship Balloons
11 In the Morning of the Magicians
12 It's Summertime (Unedited Final Mix)
13 Up Above the Daily Hum
14 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Dawn
15 Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)
16 All We Have is Now

17 It's Summertime (Original Version)
18 Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell (Demo)

There are some pics here. Looks like it's limited to 100 copies. And Yoshimi: The Cartoon?
Oh man, I really want this. Cool poo poo!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

weirdojace posted:

I saw that when he did it. I didn't think it was really cocaine, I figured he crushed up some mints or something and tweeted that as a joke. Cause that seems like a Wayne thing to do. Ke$ha later tweeted something like "those are crushed up tums that Wayne is snorting for his diarrhea." And obviously Wayne and Ke$ha aren't on bad terms or anything, as they performed together as guests at a Ben Folds show a few months ago.

Yeah, I think some people saw that and took a joke seriously.

It's pretty obvious that dude has a huge axe to grind when it comes to Wayne and I'm having a hard time believing most of what he's written.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

It's pretty obvious that dude has a huge axe to grind when it comes to Wayne and I'm having a hard time believing most of what he's written.

All the "bad Wayne" articles on that site have been written with different language on other sites. What specifically don't you believe? The naked pictures of his wife, the separation, Wayne cruising for groupies, the specific groupie he mentions, all of that is more or less provably factual. :confused:

He certainly is biased, because he keeps saying "drat it Wayne, I used to love you and now you're being a loving weirdo", but nothing in the articles I read sounded made up at all.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

precision posted:

All the "bad Wayne" articles on that site have been written with different language on other sites. What specifically don't you believe? The naked pictures of his wife, the separation, Wayne cruising for groupies, the specific groupie he mentions, all of that is more or less provably factual. :confused:

He certainly is biased, because he keeps saying "drat it Wayne, I used to love you and now you're being a loving weirdo", but nothing in the articles I read sounded made up at all.

I only googled for a second but I haven't seen any other articles mention their separation or the groupies at all and his article was written way back in August. Someone else would have done a piece about it by now if it was real.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't forget the Erykah Badu bullshit, contrived or not the whole thing was ridiculous. I wish he would just put the energy into making music that he puts into gimmicks. Hopefully this new album will exceptional for his sake.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Steven says the album is the best one since The Soft Bulletin and I feel inclined to believe him. Maybe the lyrics will even give us some insight on what's been going on in Wayne's head lately...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I only googled for a second but I haven't seen any other articles mention their separation or the groupies at all and his article was written way back in August. Someone else would have done a piece about it by now if it was real.

I swear I read it in several places a couple months ago, but can't find anything now either. Hmmm.

I do know that from reading her Twitter she's been out of the country for a long time, and she's said a bunch of cryptic things. And Wayne hasn't mentioned her in forever, and vice versa.

Maybe I had them confused with Thurston and Kim, who definitely split up.

edit: "Best album since The Soft Bulletin" is a weird statement that I can't feel one way or the other about, since Soft Bulletin is almost my least-favorite album and I thought Embryonic was their best since Clouds. I want more Embryonic style stuff. :(

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
As someone who's just recently gotten into the Flaming Lips these stories about Wayne make me kind of sad. It sounds like the fame is finally getting to him and he's becoming a bit of a monster. I hope that's not true...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The grenade is for sale.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

As someone who's just recently gotten into the Flaming Lips these stories about Wayne make me kind of sad. It sounds like the fame is finally getting to him and he's becoming a bit of a monster. I hope that's not true...

I don't know if it's the fame. I don't think Flaming Lips are as popular as they once were.

leica posted:

The grenade is for sale.

of course it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WASDF posted:

I don't know if it's the fame. I don't think Flaming Lips are as popular as they once were.

Huh? Right now I'd say the Lips are riding a wave of popularity (among certain kinds of people, that is) that they haven't really had since Soft Bulletin. If the prices and attendance of their live show is any indication, they're certainly at their most popular; 12 years ago, you could see them for $20 at a small-medium-size venue/bar and it wouldn't even sell out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
At this point I prefer to only focus on the actual music and nothing that Wayne does. Steven is really the true anchor for the band and I have a feeling if he ever left the music would take sharp decline and just be nothing but Wayne Coyne's brain farts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Agreed. The only reason I'm still paying attention to the Lips is because of Steven, he is a huge talent and I'll be following him for as long as he's making music. Without him the Lips are nothing.

[edit] I've stopped following Wayne on twitter, and have also had to stop following the Lips feed because it keeps retweeting Wayne's feed, wtf :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 26, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

At this point I prefer to only focus on the actual music and nothing that Wayne does. Steven is really the true anchor for the band and I have a feeling if he ever left the music would take sharp decline and just be nothing but Wayne Coyne's brain farts.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favorite Lips albums had strong contributions from Jonathan Donahue or Ronald Jones. It's been a long time since I believed that Wayne Coyne was anything more than the conductor.

Funnily enough, he's basically turned into the guy from the Polyphonic Spree, who started out by being a sort-of Lips ripoff (but a great one, imo).

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

precision posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that my favorite Lips albums had strong contributions from Jonathan Donahue or Ronald Jones. It's been a long time since I believed that Wayne Coyne was anything more than the conductor.

Funnily enough, he's basically turned into the guy from the Polyphonic Spree, who started out by being a sort-of Lips ripoff (but a great one, imo).

I know people probably just dismiss it as a Lips ripoff, but Tripping Daisy's Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb is one of my favorite albums ever. At this point, I think I like Tim DeLaughter a lot more than I do Wayne. At least he seems like a really genuine person and not trying to constantly get attention and look like a "rock star."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last time I saw Polyphonic Spree, 6 years ago (Jesus...) my friend and I were out of our minds on mushrooms, it was a little venue (the Orange Peel in Asheville) and maybe this is the drugs talking but it was better than any Lips show I've (personally) seen. They did 3 encores totalling about an hour.

And as far as Tim, yep, talk about a swell guy - before the opening band went on, he went around the place and literally shook the hand of everybody there and thanked us for coming to the show. It was nuts.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that settles it, we send Tim in to be Wayne's life coach.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

What's with Wayne's leg?

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
I saw 12 new replies, and expected something awesome. Instead, people complaining about Wayne.

=( anyone here get the Yoshimi release? Any good?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

WASDF posted:

What's with Wayne's leg?

He stabbed it somehow and it got super infected and he spent like a week in the hospital with a giant hole in his leg because of it. I have no idea how he injured it in such a way as to leave a big rear end cavity in his leg that he loves showing everybody.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah, same here. My favorite Lips stuff are the Roland Jones albums. I obviously like poo poo they've done since then, but I consider that their peak. If we're being honest I think Yoshimi is kind of a weak album and if I never heard it again I wouldn't be too upset. To me it sounds like a lesser Soft Bulletin.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I have always looked at Yoshimi as a lesser Soft Bulletin that just so happened to have Do You Realize? on it which was, you know, a hit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happy Hippo posted:

I have always looked at Yoshimi as a lesser Soft Bulletin that just so happened to have Do You Realize? on it which was, you know, a hit.

Counterpoint: Yoshimi has "Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon" which for my money is better than anything on Soft Bulletin bar "Waiting For Superman". I'm also really partial to the title track and "Fight Test".

For those of us that didn't much like The Soft Bulletin, it was the better album because it was at least nice and weird.

I listened to Zaireeka for the first time in a while this morning and I really hope they re-release it with an "official" one-CD release. I know that's not "how it's intended to be heard" :jerkbag: but the songs on it are really solid and I'd love a copy that's both one disc and mixed professionally instead of the amateur unofficial one I have.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I think Yoshimi is better than Bulletin and that Mystics is better than both of them :shobon:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hughesta posted:

I think Yoshimi is better than Bulletin and that Mystics is better than both of them :shobon:

And none of them are as good as Transmissions from the Satellite Heart.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

And none of them are as good as Transmissions from the Satellite Heart.

Empty quotin' this.

Actually, not really. It's the only album of theirs that's literally flawless for me. Every other album that might be their best has at least one song that breaks up the flow for me; in order, "Rainin' Babies", "Frogs", "When You Smile", and "A Machine In India" (seriously gently caress that song's ten minute runtime).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

precision posted:

Empty quotin' this.

Actually, not really. It's the only album of theirs that's literally flawless for me. Every other album that might be their best has at least one song that breaks up the flow for me; in order, "Rainin' Babies", "Frogs", "When You Smile", and "A Machine In India" (seriously gently caress that song's ten minute runtime).

You're a bad person. You're a BAD person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh. It's like "Frogs"; not a bad song at all, just breaks up the flow of the album. v:shobon:v

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Yoshimi's one of my least favorite Lips albums, but it'll always hold a soft spot in my heart because it was the first one I ever heard and it coincided with a really special time in my life.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Personally I don't care for any of their albums before Transmissions which probably makes me the odd man out in this thread. I didn't start listening to them until At War with the Mystics came out though. Mr. Ambulance Driver made me start to fall in love with the band and when I got Yoshimi Fight Test cemented that love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Frogs is awesome and not even the fact that Wayne hates it can ruin it for me. Though it seems like Wayne kinda hates everything before The Soft Bulletin.

• Locked thread