Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What general things should I know about Just Cause 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Play for a few hours and then go download mods that remove annoying stuff like the blackmarket helicopter cutscene and fixes the 100% bug.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Luminous Cow posted:

I checked the wiki and the last 5 pages but didn't see anything, so: I just bought the Walking Dead. I have never watched the show, read the comic books, or gotten any spoilers. Should I wait until sundown, turn out the lights, put on headphones, and just play the poo poo out of it? Any stupid bugs or anything I need to avoid?

Play it a chapter at a time. Each chapter takes 2-3 hours and I think it's important to let them sink into you. Personally I wouldn't power through it in a single sitting but that's up to you. Also resist the urge to redo anything. The narrative flow doesn't change but your perception of characters does change based on your actions. Make decisions as if you were Lee because characters will think you're an indecisive wimp if you play Mr. Neutral. If you sit on the fence you'll get a stake up your rear end, that's about as clear as I can be.

Just like a horror movie, your enjoyment boils down to your ability to suspend your disbelief. If you look for the seams and make choices in a video-gamey fashion (trying to please everyone as a "neutral" character or picking dialog based on genre conventions that you think will happen) then you won't have a good time. If you can immerse yourself as Lee, and not as an omniscient player controlling Lee, you'll find this is one of the best attempts at narration in a video game.

One last game related thing that's not spoilery and will save you some unnecessary frustration. In Chapter 3 you'll be stuck inside a train station or something and two zombies will attack you. Back up until you reach the door, navigate over the object on the floor, and use the mousewheel/controller to manually select the object. It's the only life/death situation that requires manually selecting an item and a lot of people died multiple times because they didn't know to do this.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Luminous Cow posted:

I checked the wiki and the last 5 pages but didn't see anything, so: I just bought the Walking Dead. I have never watched the show, read the comic books, or gotten any spoilers. Should I wait until sundown, turn out the lights, put on headphones, and just play the poo poo out of it? Any stupid bugs or anything I need to avoid?

You don't need to play it with the lights out at night under a blanket with headphones on; it's not a very scary game outside of a few AGGH! SHITSHITSHIT moments where the Panic (read: quicktime) events happen. It is, however, a very depressing, oppressive, heavy game and you will want to take breaks in between episodes to maybe drink or watch some kitten videos.

Also seconding the "play it as Lee" opinion stated earlier. Intentionally fence-sitting for the sake of getting a Best Ending doesn't work out in this game. If you think Lee would remain neutral or even dead silent in some situation, by all means, but the game pretty much actively defies powergaming convention.

Luckily, there is a rewind function and multiple save slots that allow you to play Omniscient Game Lord and see how alternate choices would play out, so go nuts; don't fear the reaper.

And speaking of alternate choices: TWD is still a pretty straightforward narrative despite all the ample player choice. Some things will always happen, and most often when a main character dies or leaves, it is destined to happen that way. The only exception I can think of is very late into the story and is extremely deliberate.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I ended up not waiting and already powered through chapter 1. I definitely didn't stay neutral, and sided with Kenny and his family throughout the whole thing. I can't wait to sink my teeth into the rest. I've been playing Lee as a nice, caring guy, who stays as honest as possible. It'll probably get me into a bunch of drama trouble later, especially since I told Kenny that my parents owned the pharmacy, before Carley ever let me know she knew what was up. Thanks for the chapter 3 warning, I probably would not have noticed that.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I got E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy and have no idea what the skills and stuff do, or where to put my points or anything like that. Or is it one of those games where you can't really gently caress it up?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr Snofeld posted:

I got E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy and have no idea what the skills and stuff do, or where to put my points or anything like that. Or is it one of those games where you can't really gently caress it up?

I would say that the only thing you really need to have is hacking. Use this strategy from beforeiplay.com to win at hacking:

quote:

t's slow as hell, but it'll let you hack through targets that outclass you by a fair degree. First, you use Mask to reduce your opponent's offense to zero. Second, use Overload to increase your offense until it's greater than about half the sum of their health and defense. Third, attack two or three times and they'll be yours. During the second step, if your opponent uses Overload theirself then quickly respond with a Mask to nullify it. Usually, your opponent will repeatedly try to Mask you, but you'll eventually win out because you don't have a built-in delay between executions.

Other than that you can do well enough to succeed with anything because stats don't have an absolutely tremendous impact on your ability to shoot dudes. Also get the medkit researched.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Any advice for a STALKER virgin starting S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

VogeGandire posted:

Throw bolts to find the edges of anomalies; major anomalies where you can find artifacts are all on your minimap and visiting them will help you out a lot in the long run. If you have to repair a gun to sell it, it's not worth looting until you've got a technician who gives you a discount.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

VogeGandire posted:

Off the top of my head:

* Each of the three zones has a safehouse with a chest that you can safely use to store your gear in. The first one (Skadovsk, it's the giant ship wreck you'll run into pretty much straight away) has this chest in the sleeping area on the middle deck.

* You have a limited weight capacity. If you approach the limit because you're carrying much loot, prioritize your loot; Handguns often have a better weight / money ratio than cheap rifles such as AK47SUs or sawed off shotguns. Vodka weighs a lot (0.50 kg a bottle IIRC) but is hardly worth poo poo, whereas anti radiation drugs weigh hardly anything and are worth tons of money, etc.
When in doubt, leave behind those 20 kgs worth of buckshot in favor of grenades instead.
You'll get a decent feel for what stuff will sell well eventually.

* In general you'll want to run around with your artifact detector out so you'll notice when artifacts are nearby (oh and try to get the better "Bear" detector ASAP, trying to hunt for artifacts with the one you start out with can be quite difficult if you're new to the game).
Make sure to go hunt for artifacts after a blowout has occurred (this spawns new artifacts). Anomaly areas are hotspots for artifacts.

* Don't just sell artifacts right away as you find them unless you're really desparate for money. Talk to Beard at Skadovsk instead. He will often give you quests to find specific artifacts, and bringing him those via the quest will yield much better pay than just selling them the regular way. If you find artifacts he doesn't currently have a quest for, store them in your stash chest.
Also, don't accept the quests unless you already own the requested artifact, as the quest will expire after a while and you're not guaranteed to find the requested artifact in time.

* Shotguns are excellent against mutants, usually much better than pistols or rifles, so keep one handy in your second weapon slot ... you know, for close encounters

* Upgrading your armor and guns is very useful, but be sure to play around with your weapon and pay attention to the upgrade trees before you go hog wild with upgrades. Making a jack-of-all-trades gun isn't usually an option. You can take a given gun and turn it into an incredibly fearsome CQB bullet hose with huge magazine size and a common caliber (no need to worry about ammo) or a highly accurate sniper rifle, but not both at the same time, so you should make sure you know what you want to go for before you invest money in upgrades.

* Nimble is a guy that hangs out in the top-most deck of the Skadovsk and who offers unique variants of guns and armor. Some of the stuff he can get you is pretty good; He can get you a Clear Sky faction armor which is one of the best armor suits in the game. It may take a while until you can come up with the cash for it, but it's absolutely worth to save for that beast early on and get it ASAP.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
The Amazing Spider-Man. I just bought the PC version. I'm more than likely going to use my 360 controller, but wondering if there is anything else I should know.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I just got Dark Souls off Amazon, beat the first boss, then realized I had no idea what the hell I was doing while building my character, so any tips and tricks in that regard would help. I'm just sorta flailing about with a sword and then I got beat up by some stone dude in a club and another golden dude with a 2H sword and goddamn.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GrandpaPants posted:

So I just got Dark Souls off Amazon, beat the first boss, then realized I had no idea what the hell I was doing while building my character, so any tips and tricks in that regard would help. I'm just sorta flailing about with a sword and then I got beat up by some stone dude in a club and another golden dude with a 2H sword and goddamn.
You should go ask in the Dark Souls PC thread. The basic idea though is that every single thing is viable for PvE and you don't need to worry at all. Upgrading your weapons and your shield is usually more beneficial than leveling up but remember the game is about you, not your character.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You should go ask in the Dark Souls PC thread. The basic idea though is that every single thing is viable for PvE and you don't need to worry at all. Upgrading your weapons and your shield is usually more beneficial than leveling up but remember the game is about you, not your character.

And also, never level Resistance.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just snagged The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition during the Steam sale. I'm totally new to the series, and, if I'm honest, to PC RPGs in general, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just snagged The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition during the Steam sale. I'm totally new to the series, and, if I'm honest, to PC RPGs in general, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Good news, this one plays just fine on the controller so you can go that route if you so desire. I have done playthroughs on both M/KB and a 360 pad and found it totally fine each time.

1. Use your medallion to find herbs, and use those herbs to make potions. Really, do it, potions are awesome.

2. Don't worry if you're kinda feeling like you're getting your rear end kicked at first. That will pass, it's just you getting a feel for the combat system.

3. Fight like a Witcher. That is, be a total rear end in a top hat with bombs, traps, spells, hitting people in the back, and so on. Use all of your tools and don't think for a second about trying to fight fair. Geralt isn't a knight in shining armor dedicated to any kind of an "honorable" fight.

The game generally does a good job of teaching you how you might want to build your character and so on so other than that I'd say just go nuts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While similar questions were answered about The Walking Dead, I have to ask if playing without the UI and decision prompts is going to hurt as a first time player? So far it feels quite intuitive what I can interact with and so on, but I'm curious if this will just result in a lot of frustrating pixel hunting later on.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

SkySteak posted:

There's a mod that makes all the basic black market stuff (everything except DLC items) free. This makes the game ten times more fun, and as awesome as it should be. Offroad cars, jets and high explosive are suddenly disposable items, and you should feel no qualms about running behind a building during a gunfight, then emerging to continue the battle driving a tank you just called in. And when that gets blown up, steal a helicopter.

Also don't worry too much about the story missions once you get past the first couple and have the whole island to play with. Do faction missions, blow stuff up, generally make your own fun and goof around exploding everything. EVERYTHING

Additionally, driving/crashing cars down a mountain will never, ever get boring in JC2.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There's a mod that makes all the basic black market stuff (everything except DLC items) free. This makes the game ten times more fun, and as awesome as it should be.

Yeah, the mod makes the game easier if you abuse it but it makes it so much more fun and much more in the spirit of JC2.

http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Black-Market/Everything-Unlocked--and--Available-Though-the-Black-Market/

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For Dead Island what is the best way to deal with Thugs? I can't seem to dodge them very effectively.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

For Dead Island what is the best way to deal with Thugs? I can't seem to dodge them very effectively.

Your back jump actually has a lot more speed than you would think, that's what you use to get out of their range. They also don't have many different attacks so your best bet is to learn the two or three that they have, after which they are open for a good couple of smacks, jump back repeat. Weapons with electric or poison also sometimes make them either shake or puke which can give you enough time to hit them hard. Mangling their arms also makes their attacks a lot weaker.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 25, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

While similar questions were answered about The Walking Dead, I have to ask if playing without the UI and decision prompts is going to hurt as a first time player? So far it feels quite intuitive what I can interact with and so on, but I'm curious if this will just result in a lot of frustrating pixel hunting later on.

In the options you can turn off the character updates while keeping the item tooltips. I recommend doing this because there are parts where the game will say one thing then completely disregard it, particularly in episode 3.

(although episode 3 contains an amazingly cute popup with Duck so the choice is yours.)

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

They don't move around very fast, so use hit and run tactics between their strikes. Breaking or severing their arms will leave them with just a headbutt attack with very little range.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I keep looking at this copy of Avadon: The Black Fortress on my tablet and wanting to play it, but for whatever reason I'm hesitant to start. Any advice that might help me get going? The wiki is down so I don't know if someone's asked about it already :shobon:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I keep looking at this copy of Avadon: The Black Fortress on my tablet and wanting to play it, but for whatever reason I'm hesitant to start. Any advice that might help me get going? The wiki is down so I don't know if someone's asked about it already :shobon:

Probably the highest praise I can give this game, as it is ostensibly a hardcore PC RPG, is that it requires virtually no knowledge of anything in order to play. If you don't understand something, read the manual. Just let go of any notion you have that you are going to gently caress yourself over. There's respecs and as far as I know you cannot miss anything.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Good news, this one plays just fine on the controller...

Sounds awesome, thanks! The videos I've seen almost remind me of DMC in places, and I haven't played a decent slasher in a while.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

C-Euro posted:

Ranged attacks are much more valuable than melee attacks. Related, your ranged weapons have unlimited ammo. The sorceress and shaman's staves are ranged and their power is affected by the skill in the lower-left of their skill tree. Keeping this leveled will let them do about as much damage with a regular attack as your warrior or rogue.

If you use a blademaster you probably will be tempted to pump his strength. Don't--focus on dexterity. The game never tells you this, but most of the blademaster's damage-dealing skills rely on dexterity.

The sorceress's direct damage skills are far more valuable than her buffs.

Your ability to use your powers is limited by both MP (called vitality) and a cooldown timer. After you gain a couple levels the cooldown timer will be much more of a limitation than MP, so don't fret about conserving. You can restore MP at any time by returning to Avadon, but the walk tends to be a pain in the rear end.

When training skills, keep in mind that you cannot train a skill to a level higher than the lowest level of its prerequisites. So if you have a skill with two prerequisites, and have one point in one of them and five points in the other, you will only be able to train the advanced skill to level one.

For action skills, having more skills is far more important than having few skills at a high level. This is because cooldown applies to skills individually. Maximize your versatility by putting one point into each skill until you unlock the top skill on a tree. Then go back and level-up the lower tier skills. The only exception I would make is for the shaman, who benefits greatly from getting group heal early.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

C-Euro posted:

The wiki is down so I don't know if someone's asked about it already :shobon:

Usually if the wiki is down it's temporary. It's down right now as well. Hopefully my hosting is just doing maintenance or something.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Can anyone tell me anything for Persona 4 Golden. I just made it past the first part, I guess. I got the Hero's persona, but before I go any further I want to know a bit more of this game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Notinghamington posted:

Can anyone tell me anything for Persona 4 Golden. I just made it past the first part, I guess. I got the Hero's persona, but before I go any further I want to know a bit more of this game.

You can abuse the poo poo out of the SOS function when you're in a dungeon. It sends out a signal to other people playing the game and if they decide to help (which they usually do since it's just a button you press) you get a small hp/sp boost for every person who responds. You can even grind it on a lower floor if you really need a heal/sp boost but don't want to spend the money or use an item.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Notinghamington posted:

You'll need to keep updating and refreshing your personas, a good rule of thumb is that when a persona has no more new skills to learn it's ready to be put out to pasture and fused.

When you hit someones weakness or land a critical, you get another turn and they're usually knocked down. They stand back up next time it's their turn. If you knock down all your enemies, your teammates will give you the option to do an extra attack that damages all of them. BUT you may not want to always do this. If you hit the weakness of a knocked down character, they become stunned and skip their next turn which can potentially be more valuable. You don't gain extra turns for striking the weaknesses of characters that are already knocked down or stunned.

Spells that boost or lower stats are actually valuable and very useful on bosses and minibosses, unlike many jrpgs. Generally bosses will still be immune to Light and Dark (instant kill) spells though

Your teammates generally work out okay on their own ai, and it speeds up battles considerably. They also strike weaknesses once you've sussed them out. That being said, they can't do things like read boss tells or understand metagame things (like how maybe this giant flaming beetle we've never seen before is immune to fire)

You can game the SOS system by hitting it and just hanging out for a couple minutes to ensure you get lots of players and a big boost for your next battle. Tedious and generally unnecessary but it could be useful if you get yourself in a seriously screwed position

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Notinghamington posted:

Keep Yosuke (and the general default party of Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko) until you a persona with Garu spells or Dekaja. Dekaja wipes all enemy buffs and never stops being useful. It's also a guranteed hit. Abuse the hell out of hit whenever something uses a -kaja spell (Tarukaja, and so on).

Continuing on from what Rentacop said, sometimes individual party members will offer to follow up with a unique attack when you knock a Shadow down. Most aren't worth doing, save for one exception - Chie. If she offers, accept. Galactic Punt is an instant kill that ejects enemies from the field (it's unlocked at S.Link rank 3, I think, with her).

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Notinghamington posted:

I would also like to add: Don't worry about S-Links. There is no guide as of now, and it would only serve to make the game lame. Hang out with party member, and the Hermit link. Beyond that is not as worthwhile/too important.

Oh, and despite its generally cheery demeanor, this game can be brutal at times. Like, spend two hours grinding just to get wiped because of sheer bad luck hard. Whatever happens, never give up.

E: Also, at a quick glance, all of the Persona 4 advice on the wiki is still solid stuff for P4G. Give it a look.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 27, 2012

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
So I bought the Total War Collection on Steam, and I'm noticing a couple of things.
First off, all off the UI elements are super tiny and I have to squint to read anything on my 16.5", 1600x900 latop display. Is there any way to make everything bigger, even if it means messing with my resolution? Would playing with HDMI on a larger monitor help with or exacerbate this?
Second, I sort of suck at the two main-line games I've played so far: Empire and Shogun 2. I can't figure out how to stop the enemy from just turtling up and massacring me if I try to approach, which is a slightly bigger problem in Shogun 2. I simply cannot handle the first battle that's handed to you in the first faction's campaign, where the enemy starts out on a hill.
Also, Shogun 1 is sort of goofy. So is there any advice for that, either?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've read the wiki, but does anyone have any more advice for Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura? Specifically things like what are all these abbreviations on equipment, and how do I stop falling over every time I get in a fight?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

theshim posted:

I've read the wiki, but does anyone have any more advice for Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura? Specifically things like what are all these abbreviations on equipment, and how do I stop falling over every time I get in a fight?

General polishing:

GOG Thread. Not mentioned in the OP are the high-quality music pack and the high-res map pack, which I believe are available at Terra Arcanum.

Specific questions:

The abbreviations are all explained in the manual. The manual is large but contains all of the details on stats, spells and items, combat mechanics, and whatnot. You should read it.

You keep falling over for one of three reasons:

(1) an enemy critted you and knocked you down
(2) you critically missed and knocked yourself down
(3) you ran out of stamina and collapsed unconscious

In the first case, try to improve your defences, or stay out of range of the enemy. In the second case, improve whatever stats are relevant (I think DX?), and possibly your weapon skills - I forget exactly how critical hit/miss chances are calculated, but the manual should say. In the third case, be more sparing with your stamina - you use it up when casting spells, or when taking more actions in a turn than you have action points for (the excess is drawn from your stamina).

Red Minjo posted:

So I bought the Total War Collection on Steam, and I'm noticing a couple of things.
First off, all off the UI elements are super tiny and I have to squint to read anything on my 16.5", 1600x900 latop display. Is there any way to make everything bigger, even if it means messing with my resolution? Would playing with HDMI on a larger monitor help with or exacerbate this?

I've never played the Total War games, but usually this is caused by the UI elements having a fixed (pixel) size. A 160x120 UI panel will use up a good chunk of the screen at 640x480, but will be pretty small at 1600x900.

Some games have options to scale up the UI. If Total War doesn't (neither built in, nor as a patch), your only options are to either reduce the game resolution (looks worse, but makes all the fixed-size UI stuff take up more screen space) or increase the size of your actual screen (makes everything, including the UI, larger in real-world distances even though it takes up the same number of pixels).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 27, 2012

Akalies
May 31, 2000
Assassin’s Creed 3 Single Player:

Early Animus Database Entries will spoil the hell out of the game. Don't read them until at least Sequence 5 or 6.

No, your game isn't buggy. Yes this character suddenly knows things he shouldn't, and has a thing that came out of nowhere. Expect a lot of "big moments" with zero build-up. Narrative be damned, that's how Ubisoft rolls.

Outfits you buy at stores are considered "dyes", and not actual outfits that unlock at your base. You can reapply them at any time for free by returning to any store once you've purchased them.

If you're interested in the fast travel markers unlock them as soon as possible. For Boston/New York this is done in their perspective underground locations. You can also unlock fast-travel markers by conquering forts. It's worth looking at a map for the various fast travel points underground if you find them tedious.

Don't bother unlocking any chests in Boston or New York unless you are a masochist who enjoys the horribly implemented lock picking mini-game. Instead focus on the liberation missions that give you new recruits as soon as possible. Once you've gained a new recruit (three for each city), you'll gain a skeleton key that unlocks all of the chests in their district. You're still stuck manually unlocking frontier chests.

Liberation missions can be hard to spot as many of them don't have markers. Run around in your potential recruit's district to spot them. Being higher up "widens" your view range, and makes it much easier to find them.

Don't bother with crafting anything except upgrades, inventions, and caravans/boats and their upgrades. Buying furs (bear and beaver being my favorite) from your trapper, or hunting them yourself are the most effective ways to make money. Caravan them off, and you'll be rolling in cash in no time.

Upgrades for your ship are the biggest money sinks in the game, but also the most vital for getting 100% synch. They make the naval missions much easier, but unfortunately do nothing for your brain-dead AI allies who love to ram each other and sail into your cannon fire.

The Peg Leg/Captain Kidd missions have some of the best rewards and gameplay in the game. These are best completed as early as possible.

Saddle bags (large and small) are one of the best items you can craft - they allow you to call your horse and restock supplies rather than returning to town.

Many of the challenge related instructions are vague or inaccurate. An example of this is "kill 5 animals from horseback" - you'd think shooting game with a bow would be appropriate here, but it isn’t. Instead you have to jump-kill them with your hidden blades. Another one is "disarm 5 opponents" - this means stealing their weapon from them while you yourself are unarmed, not disarming them in general.

Poison daggers remain one of the best tools in the game. They'll kill pretty much everything discretely in one hit. It takes a while to kill off larger animals, and they can still attack/run at full speed until death. They make hunting trivial.

Killing anything in view of any soldiers will make them hostile to you, even if you're helping them fight off enemies or predators.

If a caravan gets attacked, and you are not in the frontier, you can send your recruits to assist it by pulling up the menu where you assign them tasks in different parts of the east coast.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 28, 2012

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Good news, this one plays just fine on the controller so you can go that route if you so desire. I have done playthroughs on both M/KB and a 360 pad and found it totally fine each time.

1. Use your medallion to find herbs, and use those herbs to make potions. Really, do it, potions are awesome.

2. Don't worry if you're kinda feeling like you're getting your rear end kicked at first. That will pass, it's just you getting a feel for the combat system.

3. Fight like a Witcher. That is, be a total rear end in a top hat with bombs, traps, spells, hitting people in the back, and so on. Use all of your tools and don't think for a second about trying to fight fair. Geralt isn't a knight in shining armor dedicated to any kind of an "honorable" fight.

The game generally does a good job of teaching you how you might want to build your character and so on so other than that I'd say just go nuts.

I also just bought the Witcher 2 for Xbox during Cyber Monday. Does this advice also work for the Xbox version?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CowboyAndy posted:

I also just bought the Witcher 2 for Xbox during Cyber Monday. Does this advice also work for the Xbox version?

Pretty sure they're mechanically the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Akalies posted:

Assassin’s Creed 3 Single Player:

Early Animus Database Entries will spoil the hell out of the game. Don't read them until at least Sequence 5 or 6.

This was apparently fixed in a Thanksgiving weekend patch.