Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
There's a "newer" bongripper track called Fisting (I think), they have an unmastered version on their bandcamp. Not SWD, but it's a neat song nonetheless.

E: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/track/fisting-unmastered
I assume this is actually new, if it's an older song ignore me.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's been out for a while good while now, apparently they've got a couple of splits coming out this year though.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

High on Fire playing two shows at Roadburn 2013 including one of The Art of Self Defense in its entirety. NNGGGGHHFUCKYES!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Corrosion of Conformity have a new EP called Megladon out today (11/13/12). If you liked their new S/T album that was released earlier this year, you should enjoy this too.

Giant dinosaur sharks are loving awesome!!!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nosophoros posted:

High on Fire playing two shows at Roadburn 2013 including one of The Art of Self Defense in its entirety. NNGGGGHHFUCKYES!
I know. I know.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The Roadburn announcements have been awesome today. I'll just sit here, stewing about how I'm not going! High on Fire's double set. Unnnnffff. Are any of you lucky shits going?

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I like when bands do that. I saw Iron Maiden do A Matter of Life and Death which was pretty good. Not my favourite album of theirs by far, but I can't see them doing Powerslave any time soon.

However when I saw Pentagram a couple of weeks ago they played Relentless in its entirety. Now that was loving badass. One of my favourite albums ever, and the title track came back about 3 times in bits and pieces after it was done. What's more, they were supported by Gentleman's Pistols, who were playing to steal the show and probably did for some people. poo poo ruled. :D

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The new Graveyard album, Lights Out, rawks out! It's more of the same, but oh so good psychedelic swedish rock. I'd like to see these guys do a US tour with Witchcraft (again?).
Yes! Speaking of that, the new Witchcraft album, Legend, is _amazing_. I've been playing these two records non-stop for the past two weeks or so, still not tired of them. I'm going to a Witchcraft show here in Stockholm this weekend, and will be seeing Graveyard next weekend. So excited oh god.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The new Lento LP owns, they really upped their game.

When I first heard there was a new album I thought "hey man that's cool I like Lento" but after listening to it...yeah this is their best yet. It's been a bit since I listened to either of the first two albums but this one seems way more fun and groovy, though it definitely still keeps the weird coming. This one seems to sound more like a metal record.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Earth is playing on the 25th in Seattle.

I'm stoked.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Let's take a break and hunt some mega-fauna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1Q6tAmJzk

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
New Glowsun is slaying me right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAekO1WyIKA

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Reporting in from Doom Over London III, headlined by AHAB.

The first band I saw was Faal, who played good, melodic doom. The keyboards were very much at the front of the mix but their music was very miserable and I enjoyed it immensely. They were followed by The Drowning, who had more of a death/doom thing going on. They were also pretty great, the first 2 songs they played were definitely the best and I kind of felt like they lost momentum after that. Then there was Witchsorrow who play fairly traditional doom but with more death-y vocals. I found them alright but they didn't really interest me much. Then Indesinence came out and ate everyone, playing a range of material from their first demo up to their most recent album, it was a really good set, although I was surprised and disappointed by the distinct lack of "Paradigms" in the setlist. Fading (Further Beyond) sounded monstrous though. Officium Triste were basically Skepticism worship, although I thought they were pretty good. Then Ahab came out and crushed everyone. They played a fair bit from The Giant, but enough old stuff to keep other fans happy. Even though I personally really enjoyed The Giant, I must confess, the older stuff comes across a lot better in the live environment. The drifting, non heavy bits of The Giant didn't really translate that well at all, although Antarctica The Polymorphess was definitely a personal highlight. They sounded nauseatingly heavy, and were pleasingly melancholic too. Highly recommended.

All in all the event itself was very well organised, I liked the fact that they didn't try to cram too many bands on the bill (doors opened at 2 in the afternoon) and I think everyone from Witchsorrow onwards had an hour's set, with Ahab playing a little longer. Those kinds of set times, in my experience, are unheard of for all day gigs.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Kongh posted:

KONGH have revealed the cover of their new full-length album entitled Sole Creation. The album will be coming to shops on the 5th of February in Europe and 19th February in North Amercia. It will get released by Agonia Records on CD/LP/Digital.

Sole Creation - the 3rd album from the doom metal trio - will consist of 4 new tracks and 45 minutes of music, with a guest appearance of John Doe from Craft. The album was recorded at Teknikkompaniet (Vetlanda,
Sweden) by Peter Lundin; mixed and mastered by Magnus Lindberg of Cult Of Luna fame. KONGH's front-man, David Johansson, commented:

"After a very long time of hard work, this album is finally ready for release. We couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out and I really think it is the best Kongh material so far. For our old fans, I am pretty sure it will be well worth the wait and I also think it holds great potential to satisfy a bunch of new listeners. In my opinion, the album is more dynamic and has much more emphasis on melodies than our previous works. At the same time it maintains the harshness and it's undoubtedly the heaviest slab of metal we've done as well."

:woop:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why are lyrics for Rwake's Rest so hard to find online? :argh:

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Wow, never heard these guys before. Intense!!

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Eyehategod supposedly has studio time booked after their Australian tour, and are looking carefully before signing with a label.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I am comfortable with saying that Panopticon is the best Isis album.

My rankings:

Panopticon
Oceanic
Wavering Radiant
In the Absence of Truth
Celestial

Don't get me wrong, I love them all.

I have to argue this, with three words: Garden of Light. Absence is their overall strongest album, and has one of the best finishing tracks ever recorded. Conceptually brilliant, experimentally successful, their most unique album within their palette, I can go on for days.

I love Panopticon but it sounds like Oceanic 2.0 every time I listen to it, and Panopticon is the first listen I had of them!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Forum goon kahm posted a thread about his new metal/doom/stoner EP called 'Himalaya' in the Musician's Lounge and wants people to pass on the link, so here it is.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I have heard some of his music in the past and enjoyed it.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
The correct ranking for Isis albums is:

Oceanic
Celestial
Panopticon
Absence of Truth
Wavering Radiant

I started listening at Celestial though so I'm probably biased toward their older work.

Aleksander
Jun 22, 2012

Isn't that Rich?
This is probably stupid as hell, but I want more bands like RWAKE. Give me a top 5?

The closer on 'Rest' is the type of poo poo I am looking for.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bleedbackwards posted:

The correct ranking for Isis albums is:

Oceanic
Celestial
Panopticon
Absence of Truth
Wavering Radiant

I started listening at Celestial though so I'm probably biased toward their older work.
Gotta say, the early stuff really hooked me a lot more than their later work, too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Seventh Rule are giving everything away for free on their Bandcamp for Black Friday. Go download some Kongh, Indian, BATILLUS, Lord Mantis and Author & Punisher.

Also Panopticon is the best ISIS album.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
I've really been into Burning Witch, Graves At Sea and Khanate the past week or so. Any of you guys have suggestions for similar things?

Also the best ISIS album is Absence.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Thalamus posted:

I've really been into Burning Witch, Graves At Sea and Khanate the past week or so. Any of you guys have suggestions for similar things?

Have you tried Batillus?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Thalamus posted:

THANK YOU. I'm going to check out those three bands as repayment.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Absence is miles ahead of anything else Isis has ever done and it's the only album of them I own. I'd buy Mosquito Control as well.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

nosophoros posted:

Absence is miles ahead of anything else Isis has ever done and it's the only album of them I own. I'd buy Mosquito Control as well.

Absence is actually my least favorite Isis album. It's definitely still good, but I think it's the most...in-between record they ever did. And even the great tracks (Garden of Light, Holy Tears, Wrists of Kings) don't quite reach the peaks the rest of their works have. Then again I really loved Wavering Radiant; which most Isis fans seemed a little "eh" on.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What the gently caress is up with that Rwake video?

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

nomapple posted:

Seventh Rule are giving everything away for free on their Bandcamp for Black Friday. Go download some Kongh, Indian, BATILLUS, Lord Mantis and Author & Punisher.

Also Panopticon is the best ISIS album.

Thanks, just found Speak Loud Say Nothing by Wizard Rifle there and I think its loving good, it isn't free, but if the other songs are as good or better than Megatherium I might get it.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
BATTILUS is excellent. I saw them open for YOB and I was pleasantly surprised. The opening track on Furnace is one of my favorite sludgy songs, so heavy.

I'm going to see High on Fire for the first time this Friday; anyone seen any of Matt Pike's bands recently? Is he able to keep up energy with the issues he's been having? Also any goons going?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Gasmask posted:

BATTILUS is excellent. I saw them open for YOB and I was pleasantly surprised. The opening track on Furnace is one of my favorite sludgy songs, so heavy.

I'm going to see High on Fire for the first time this Friday; anyone seen any of Matt Pike's bands recently? Is he able to keep up energy with the issues he's been having? Also any goons going?

I saw Sleep live twice just before Pike went into rehab and apart from the disgustingly bloated stomach on the guy, you'd never know there was anything wrong with him, they tore e place up twice, unbelievably good live.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

I saw Sleep live twice just before Pike went into rehab and apart from the disgustingly bloated stomach on the guy, you'd never know there was anything wrong with him, they tore e place up twice, unbelievably good live.

They have both gone over to the larger side. I was watching the Scion AV vid of Dragonaut live and my girlfriend instantly recoiled and said "those guys look disgusting."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

niff posted:

They have both gone over to the larger side. I was watching the Scion AV vid of Dragonaut live and my girlfriend instantly recoiled and said "those guys look disgusting."

Yeah, Al gets bigger and sweatier every time I see him live, I guess smoking literally tons of weed does that to you.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yeah, Al gets bigger and sweatier every time I see him live, I guess smoking literally tons of weed does that to you.
All of the riffs are stored in their beer/weed bellies. I wouldn't complain. Also I saw via @noyokono's twitter account (journo for Metalsucks and Popmatters), that Sleep is a "full, reunited band". New album??

And before I go I'm gonna throw out a recommendation for Switchblade because they are monumentally heavy and like a darker, maybe dronier Yob, but they still throw the odd almost punky, catchy as gently caress riff out there. Go listen.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Loaf32 posted:

Earth is playing on the 25th in Seattle.
I'm stoked.

That would have been awesome to know on Sunday. How was it?

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
I've been a fan of Witchcraft for quite a while now and their latest album contains this particular gem that I just can't get enough of. Would it qualify as stoner/doom? It's got some proggy elements thrown in and I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just listened to Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric light by Woods of Ypres. Holy loving poo poo, I was blown away yesterday. It's hard to describe without hearing, I guess the album is an example of the blackened-Doom genre. The lead vocalist has a great baritone singing voice and excellent growls, and harmonizes with himself on many of the songs. The drumming is fantastic, guitars are great, the production values are great.

The best part are the lyrics. On their own, they are very introspective. They deal with thoughts of end of life, not in the RRRAAWWWWRRR DEAD GO TO HELL RRRRAAAWWWWRRRR traditional metal sense. More like mortality and futility. The album takes on a more sombre note when I found out that the lead singer died in a car wreck shortly after the album was released.

Here's the intro track from the album, please give it a listen. This is just a hell of an album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMvL-ZoZXU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

Just listened to Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric light by Woods of Ypres. Holy loving poo poo, I was blown away yesterday. It's hard to describe without hearing, I guess the album is an example of the blackened-Doom genre. The lead vocalist has a great baritone singing voice and excellent growls, and harmonizes with himself on many of the songs. The drumming is fantastic, guitars are great, the production values are great.

The best part are the lyrics. On their own, they are very introspective. They deal with thoughts of end of life, not in the RRRAAWWWWRRR DEAD GO TO HELL RRRRAAAWWWWRRRR traditional metal sense. More like mortality and futility. The album takes on a more sombre note when I found out that the lead singer died in a car wreck shortly after the album was released.

Here's the intro track from the album, please give it a listen. This is just a hell of an album.

I think he actually died before the album was released. Doesn't make it any less good, though.

Edit: Yeah, the liner notes (on the vinyl at least) include "In memory of David Gold".

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Frank Caskelot posted:

I think he actually died before the album was released. Doesn't make it any less good, though.

Edit: Yeah, the liner notes (on the vinyl at least) include "In memory of David Gold".

I stand corrected. I'm pissed because I just discovered this group and I'll never get to see them live. Such a good loving CD.